Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HOLY DAMN PS2 F2P GAME OF TH YEAR!!!!!

Definately worth subbing to  planes are droppign bombs on bases, solderis marching, tanks rolling, troopers shhoting each other HOLY CRAP SOE GOT THIS RIGHT. PS2 puts cod and battlefield to shame. Whats dust 314?????

LOOOL

SOE GOT A WINNER maasively massive battles hoooooooly crap.

THOUSANds battlng it out, SOOO THIS IS WHAT IT FEELS like  epic combat fights :p

hot damn, and i thought 100 vs 100 was good but this thousands vs thosunds :p its endless haha.

AMAZING i give this 95%/ 100% score.

Comments

• Greyflame11Greyflame11 Member Posts: 45
    I'm glad he's playing.  I'm glad so many people are playing and enjoying it.  It is definately the top game for me right now.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

It is kinda fun. But it does tend to feel quite pointless after a few days. I mean, capping, recapping, rinse, repeat.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I can't stop playing. I should really get some sleep.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I burnt myself out on it during the beta.

It is a good game though and easily the best MP Fps on PC.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    I dunno, anyone else read the OP and get zerg vs zerg out if it? Maybe it's really not quite like that.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280
    i think op is beeing sarcastic.
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I dunno, anyone else read the OP and get zerg vs zerg out if it? Maybe it's really not quite like that.

Maybe a game built around massive maps with massive numbers IS supposed to be zergy? With the twist of friendly fire so if you zerg around like crazy, you are more likely to be rolled over  by your own tanks, bomb your own troops n stuff?

I've seen both attack/defense fail due to frienly grenades wiping out dozens of players and letting the enemy win because of that.

That also doesn't mean that a tight group can't defend/recapture a base against a mass of headless chickens.

/sarcastiball mode on:

and guess what: if you don't like it, you're OBVIOUSLY PLAYING IT WRONG (lol I had to say that)

/sarcasm off.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Let me set the stage,

NC was pushed back to their starting zone.  No other property in sight.

Vanu and Terrans are bickering amongst themselves towards the bottom of the map.  Tank lines are formed, and our Sunderers calling out to get full compliments of troops on board.  Go! Is yelled and we're off.  Half the group goes towards the labs, the other heads further out to grab land in the middle of no where.  Once the initial grabs were made (almost no fight to gain them), part of our groups splits into defensive mode.  The Vanu just lost some of their territory, they'll be brining their alien aircraft in range soon. 

The other half of the group departs to clear back towards our base.  We now own about a 1/3 of the map.  The Vanu counter attack consists mostly of infil's at first.  They stay high and hidden.  A couple of people respwan as infil and begin picking them off.  Or engineers set up some defensive turrets and our heavies ensure the rockets are in full supply.

Across the ridge, their flying transport skims the surface.  You can see a couple of infil's drop onto the mountain tops.   The AA starts firing, suddenly someone spots a rank convoy incoming.  Our own tanks drive out to oppose them.  Full scale battle ensues.

Seriously, 3 hours we fought to a standstill at that base.  They'd destroy something, we'd repair and counter.  We'd take out their spawn point only to be taken our by a max with an engineer repairing.  Not only did we push through but we pushed the line all the way to their next base.  We were sending in our light assaults when I had to log.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

You played L2, DAoC & Eve for how many years? You should like the zerg pvp stuff by now lol

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Let me set the stage, NC was pushed back to their starting zone.  No other property in sight. Vanu and Terrans are bickering amongst themselves towards the bottom of the map.  Tank lines are formed, and our Sunderers calling out to get full compliments of troops on board.  Go! Is yelled and we're off.  Half the group goes towards the labs, the other heads further out to grab land in the middle of no where.  Once the initial grabs were made (almost no fight to gain them), part of our groups splits into defensive mode.  The Vanu just lost some of their territory, they'll be brining their alien aircraft in range soon. The other half of the group departs to clear back towards our base.  We now own about a 1/3 of the map.  The Vanu counter attack consists mostly of infil's at first.  They stay high and hidden.  A couple of people respwan as infil and begin picking them off.  Or engineers set up some defensive turrets and our heavies ensure the rockets are in full supply. Across the ridge, their flying transport skims the surface.  You can see a couple of infil's drop onto the mountain tops.   The AA starts firing, suddenly someone spots a rank convoy incoming.  Our own tanks drive out to oppose them.  Full scale battle ensues. Seriously, 3 hours we fought to a standstill at that base.  They'd destroy something, we'd repair and counter.  We'd take out their spawn point only to be taken our by a max with an engineer repairing.  Not only did we push through but we pushed the line all the way to their next base.  We were sending in our light assaults when I had to log.

The conflict is beautiful... it really feels like you are going to war the only problem is the reward for many hours of fighting is trivial and doesnt keep me interested

if they add better incentives then... Vanu for life

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Originally posted by hfztt

It is kinda fun. But it does tend to feel quite pointless after a few days. I mean, capping, recapping, rinse, repeat.

That's the thing with pretty much every FPS. All of your victories really don't mean a damn thing, you just start a new game. FPS games have such high skill caps that you can play them for years and still find entertainment value because you are constantly getting better.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Yes,the game is zergy,but some people actually like that..

War isnt fought with a group of 6,its fought with an army and thats what this game is about.

There are times though,that if you are at a base somewhat close to a main battle that you'll find a small squad of enemies trying to take the base over...and thats where the smaller battles usually take place.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Yes thats exactly what it is.  Theres no prolonged skilled "duels"  Death is super quick and theres zero penalty.

However, theres one catch to this amazingly horrible description.  Youll be rushing a base and see litterally 100 solider 40 vehicles and 30 airplanes charging with you and you kinda get this epic feeling since the defending side has just as many if not more.

Theres a lot of crazy shit going on and for as shallow as the underlying game is, its pretty intense.  Especially when stuff starts to explode, planes dropping fron the sky blowing up.

Its a really crappy game right off the bat, theres kind of a decent learning cure which is surprisng for a game like this. Death is VERY fast and happens often even if your doing well.  Once you get the hang of it and figure out whats going on and how to play, yeah its cheap fun.

I dont see it lasting very long in terms of a long term game, theres zero meta-game, while its a "grind" to get the XP to upgrade, once your upgraded theres no progression and its all the same stuff.  I can see it getting tiring once you max out what you use and its just base flipping.

I would certainly choose this game over GW2 as a shallow side game however, the battles can get really epic and its easy to jump into the action. It just pains me to think how great this game would have been had they given it some depth, some complex progression, and a meta-game to it.  Certainly wont be for all, and you will need some solid FPS reflexes even if you want to support.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    It's an amazing game! worth giving it a shot. =)
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

if u think like that, then any fps game is pointless.... Spawn>kill>killed>Respawn ... the endless cycle.

At least in planetside is in massive scale, with some mmo elements.

I can't understand what , ppl that are complaing, expected from PS2.... a WOW clone? ;)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Like any twitchy game, I get bored and annoyed with them very quickly.  This one is no exception for me.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Originally posted by stealthbr

That's the thing with pretty much every FPS. All of your victories really don't mean a damn thing, you just start a new game. FPS games have such high skill caps that you can play them for years and still find entertainment value because you are constantly getting better.

I have an issue with what you said here. In your average competitive FPS a match can last anywhere between 10-30 minutes sometimes even an hour or 2 if it goes on really long. During these matches everything you do matters because eventually the match will end in a win/loss scenario. Every base you take or lose, every flag you cap and every opponent you kill matters towards the end of that match. In your average FPS all of your objectives are there for you to work towards a win. Once that match is over a person will start another to try and win again. There is a purpose during each match that matters other than just pointing at your oppenents and clicking on them. The victory is what people work towards to and what they get satisfaction from, all the objectives are for people to attain that victory.

Planetside 2 has none of that. There is no end to Planetside 2, there is no win/loss scenario for people to work towards to. Because there is no victory conditions in PS2 there is ultimately no point in the objectives in the game. Oh you conquered half the bases on the map? Good for you, doesn't mean anything though because there is no win/loss scenario and you have nothing to work towards to. Base flipping in this game doesn't mean anything because there is no satisfying point for teams to attain.

If there was a win/loss scenario in the game such as whichever faction holds the most territory at the end of a given time period or whichever faction has the most points from holding bases then there would actually be a point in the objectives in the game. As it is now there is ultimately no point in doing anything within the game that can't be similarly done in another FPS.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Anything utilizing a thousand troops will always looke like a zerg, but I assure you most are not. Were it not for my outfit's tag (666) you'd think we are zerging but no... we're just that large in number and organized to boot. Nothing beats the rush of 3 platoons full of infantry calling for 2 full platoons worth of armor and 2 full platoons of air on demand... what started looking like a small skermish grows into a giant blitzkreig.... commanding it all is just as fun.
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

yes lol .overhyped .anyone smell mountain dew in his drink ?

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by romanator0

I have an issue with what you said here. In your average competitive FPS a match can last anywhere between 10-30 minutes sometimes even an hour or 2 if it goes on really long. During these matches everything you do matters because eventually the match will end in a win/loss scenario. Every base you take or lose, every flag you cap and every opponent you kill matters towards the end of that match. In your average FPS all of your objectives are there for you to work towards a win. Once that match is over a person will start another to try and win again. There is a purpose during each match that matters other than just pointing at your oppenents and clicking on them. The victory is what people work towards to and what they get satisfaction from, all the objectives are for people to attain that victory.

Planetside 2 has none of that. There is no end to Planetside 2, there is no win/loss scenario for people to work towards to. Because there is no victory conditions in PS2 there is ultimately no point in the objectives in the game. Oh you conquered half the bases on the map? Good for you, doesn't mean anything though because there is no win/loss scenario and you have nothing to work towards to. Base flipping in this game doesn't mean anything because there is no satisfying point for teams to attain.

If there was a win/loss scenario in the game such as whichever faction holds the most territory at the end of a given time period or whichever faction has the most points from holding bases then there would actually be a point in the objectives in the game. As it is now there is ultimately no point in doing anything within the game that can't be similarly done in another FPS.

What you just said about other fps games can be said about planetside only its on a much larger scale. There 7s a point... every piece of territory captured is a victory and every piece lost is a loss... theres no difference except planetside is persistent and the battle is constantly raging... the battle is always going on thoseother games too, but you just have to wait between maps and leading screens. Your point is flawed

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

its hardly game of the year worthy, but Im glad its liked by some.
    SOE by every design has no interest in attracting those new to FPS's, thats obvious.
    BYOG (bring your own group) or expect total willynillyness

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

Its just like battlefield , but on hugely bigger scale (and more complex)

And last I remember battlefield is very popular ....

So I guess people are perfectly content doing that.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Originally posted by romanator0

What you just said about other fps games can be said about planetside only its on a much larger scale. There 7s a point... every piece of territory captured is a victory and every piece lost is a loss... theres no difference except planetside is persistent and the battle is constantly raging... the battle is always going on thoseother games too, but you just have to wait between maps and leading screens. Your point is flawed

Not seeing it. In a conquest game mode in pretty much any other FPS you take over bases and bases to try and win. When the match ends, whether that be from capturing all the objectives or time running out, one team wins and one team loses. Both teams are striving to be that winner. There is an end to the conflict and both teams know it and both teams strive to be the one on top when the match does end. 

Capturing a base in PS2 is just like capturing a base in any other FPS, except for the fact that there is no inevitable end that pushes the teams to come out ahead of the others. Every objective captured can be seen as a victory in other shooters too, but having a win/loss scenario gives capturing and holding objectives an actual, tangible purpose. Without some sort of purpose like a win/loss scenario capturing and losing bases ultimately means nothing within the game because you can always go "meh, we can always retake it later, it doesn't actually count towards anything". Having and end to work towards to means that every base captured and every base lost actually has a meaning and a purpose within the game.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

I've had a blast so far.   I've been playing mostly solo so far as well.  

Something about playing Light Assault and jetpacking around sowing destruction is immensly fun to me.  Darting around on rooftops picking people off or dropping grenades on enemy infantry in the middle of a huge battleground is a satisfaction I don't get from any other FPS.  

I'm not playing Planetside for any sort of progression; gear, territory, raid.   I'm playing it for all the "oh ****" moments, especially with friends, that can and will happen in Planetside.   Whether its a drop pod landing ontop of my friend out of nowhere, or running along a cliff managing to mow down 16 snipers then cliff jumping to safety, Planetside has more opportunities for epic moments than any other FPS game out there in my opinion.   And that is more fun to me than any match win in all the lobby based FPS games.