Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO has the best in-game ads?

I know this is about the equivalent of asking which dentist does the best root canals, but I have to ask it.  Which MMO game out there has the best forms of online advertising within the game.  Meaning it has ads, but they aren't intrusive, annoying, etc.  While doing a quick search, I see that Titan will have ingame ads.  To be clear I'm asking about games that advertise something within their games, not about games that have cool ads on other sites, like here at MMORPG. I really only know of one, but I'm sure there are others. I'm exploring this as a possible revenue stream, until things take off for me.   Let me know what you have seen out there.  Thanks.

Thanks,
Mike
Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I don't know who the best is, but I certainly know who is the worst: SWTOR.

SWTOR's compaign was horrid. It was in your face at every corner. It was so mainstream that it felt like the next Call of Duty. It was obvious that most of the money went into marketing.

SWTOR did another flop, too. They had the chance to campaign a "re-launch" if you will with their Free-to-Play option. Instead of generating hype via count-down or trying to make it appealing like a "Fresh Start" type thing, they just go, "oh... uh... you can play for free now".

The best adverstisement is no advertisment. Good products don't need to be advertised. If it's good, people will play it.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Again, I'm not looking for MMO that advertise.  I'm looking for MMO that have advertising within their games.   ie the advertise other games, products, etc within the actual gameplay.  Whether it be display ads, video ads, etc.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Not a damn one of them. There is no game including MMOs than can have good ads in them. Any advertisement in a game is a piece of shit. Any ad in a game will always be a piece of shit.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i've never played an mmo with in-game advertisements.  i also don't think any company would buy ad space in an mmo.  not enough people play mmo's to make it worth the investment.   
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    I think Anarchy Online was doing this for a while. I haven't played in years though so I have no idea if they are still doing it. The playerbase is pretty small too so it probably wouldnt be a good investment. I can't really think of any others off hand.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

I don't know who the best is, but I certainly know who is the worst: SWTOR.

SWTOR's compaign was horrid. It was in your face at every corner. It was so mainstream that it felt like the next Call of Duty. It was obvious that most of the money went into marketing.

SWTOR did another flop, too. They had the chance to campaign a "re-launch" if you will with their Free-to-Play option. Instead of generating hype via count-down or trying to make it appealing like a "Fresh Start" type thing, they just go, "oh... uh... you can play for free now".

The best adverstisement is no advertisment. Good products don't need to be advertised. If it's good, people will play it.

How does this have anything to do with the OP question?

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by evilized
    I think Anarchy Online was doing this for a while. I haven't played in years though so I have no idea if they are still doing it. The playerbase is pretty small too so it probably wouldnt be a good investment. I can't really think of any others off hand.

AO had a decent system.  Basically, any MMO set in present day or near future could pull off real-world advertisements.

You make me like charity

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    None really. One of the most inventive ways is to have them in game, taking advantage of billboards or other components to match them into the world. They are there but not intruding on your face. Still, if that happened I'd want it to match the theme (so basically modern or maybe futuristic) and the ads better be there in form to reduce what I have to pay for it, it shouldn't be an extra way to milk the player from more money outside having everything else other games offer.
  • SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Best ads?  Most ads on this site are big boobed pixel sprites, the Devs think cleavage will make their garbage MMO 50 times better.  It's like a freaking ricer adding a 4 foot tall rear spoiler and a obnoxious loud cherry bomb thinking the car will magically increase by 700 horse power.   

At least Blizzard gets it right by staying old school , orc vs human.  And honestly , at this point , the MMORPG universe is such a scrap yard at the moment that I wouldn't even mind heading into WoW.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I think the best one was "Order a pizza from in game"

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Why should MMO-s advertise in game? Peoples are doing quests, killing each other in a fantasy/sci-fi/historical world not reading ads on the walls. They can put ads to their site but in game? Hell no! I never want to see adds in game. But they can do an option to their homepage; reading ads for item shop points.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    The one with no ads obviously. No one wants popups in a game. Ill never play one that has that. EVER. FACT.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I feel like this thread is trying to trick me into cutting my own penis off.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by SuprGamerX
     Best ads?  Most ads on this site are big boobed pixel sprites, the Devs think cleavage will make their garbage MMO 50 times better.  It's like a freaking ricer adding a 4 foot tall rear spoiler and a obnoxious loud cherry bomb thinking the car will magically increase by 700 horse power.     At least Blizzard gets it right by staying old school , orc vs human.  And honestly , at this point , the MMORPG universe is such a scrap yard at the moment that I wouldn't even mind heading into WoW.

Arenanet's Guild Wars 2 advertised there game with a robuust CHARR!

Blizzard with a PANDA:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    I feel like this thread is trying to trick me into cutting my own penis off.

you have a penis?

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Those that don't have them. I have yet to encounter any form of in-game advertising that doesn't want to make me quit. I'm not a fa of advertising in general and don't want adds in an MMO if I can avoid them.

imageimage
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Are In-Game Ads even still an issue?

Was the Next Expected Big Thing before cash shops began to appear...but I thought advertisers were pulling out, after briefly trying it.  Results as enthusiastically promised were less than delivered.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Entropia Universe and  Anarchy Online came in mind ...

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Was the Next Expected Big Thing before cash shops began to appear...but I thought advertisers were pulling out, after briefly trying it.  Results as enthusiastically promised were less than delivered.

This came up on the forums for The Secret World (which has billboards &c. in-game for in-universe companies and products, mostly connected with the omnipresent Orochi Group) & the general impression I got from the thread was that it would give neglegible extra income and potentially lose the game money by alienating players.

Besides AO, someone in that thread mentioned CoH (which I never played past the starter area) as trying it. Only game I ever saw it in was Syndicate Wars in the late 1990s which had ads for 2000AD comic and the video of Ghost in the Shell on animated billboards, those at least kind of fit the setting.

EDIT: added link to thread on TSW forum.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by dancingstar
    Originally posted by Icewhite

This came up on the forums for The Secret World (which has billboards &c. in-game for in-universe companies and products, mostly connected with the omnipresent Orochi Group) & the general impression I got from the thread was that it would give neglegible extra income and potentially lose the game money by alienating players.

Besides AO, someone in that thread mentioned CoH (which I never played past the starter area) as trying it. Only game I ever saw it in was Syndicate Wars in the late 1990s which had ads for 2000AD comic and the video of Ghost in the Shell on animated billboards, those at least kind of fit the setting.

I ask, because the old slippery slopes seem to be appearing (as expected I guess) all over this thread, but those are from...years and years ago.  The zomggameadz worlds, as predicted by enthusiastic doom prophets, apparently did not come to pass to any great extent?

Cash shops provide more/steadier income at less risk of alienating players, yes?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by worldalpha
    Again, I'm not looking for MMO that advertise.  I'm looking for MMO that have advertising within their games.   ie the advertise other games, products, etc within the actual gameplay.  Whether it be display ads, video ads, etc.

That is soooo rare,i think there is not even enough of them to warrant any kind of rating system.I have played hundreds of onlinbe games  and i can't even remember one that does it with any conviction.Liek Eq2 for example will pop up an ad just to ask you to subscribe instead of playing for free.So i guess that is about as meaningless as yo ucan get for ads right?

I think your question stems more to the notion that there might be soem good advertising?I think advertising coudl never be considered better or good,it is just that advertising,trying to annoy you into spending money.So in terms of BEST,i would say EQ2 because it does not annoy you.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.