Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everyone tells me how "different" this game is...

Yet the gameplay feels exactly like any other MMO clone.  Maybe I am missing something but I am bored to death with generic missions after generic missions.  The only thing that I feel is different is it has a different skin a different world.  I think it's great they went with a skill wheel that was a nice change, but I don't see any innovation here.  I feel that Fallen Earth had a much higher fun factor with the open world and player vehicles.  This world is cut off zones and theme park. Maybe fun for those Everquest junkies.  Very let down.

Comments

• WhipsmackWhipsmack Member Posts: 37
    Anytime I play TSW I want to play Fallen Earth and drive around on my motorcycle haha.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If you went into this game not expecting a themepark,then thats your own fault.

There are your normal generic themepark quests,but the investigation quests and full voice overs are what set it apart from other Themeparks.

I think its one of the better Themeparks that are currently out.

Also,to compare The Secret World with Fallen earth is like comparing apples with potatoes.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    The game is different because its a whole entire new setting. It also features investigation quests which are quite fun if you dont cheat and use google. The skill wheel is also very nice. The endgame content is actually hard and isnt faceroll like in other games. While it may not be "innovative" it is different.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

Originally posted by tank017

If you went into this game not expecting a themepark,then thats your own fault.

There are your normal generic themepark quests,but the investigation quests and full voice overs are what set it apart from other Themeparks.

I think its one of the better Themeparks that are currently out.

Yep. TSW is one of the best THEMEPARK mmos right now. Its enough TP to me easy to understand but different enough to warrant a look at it. Its like 10$ on the microsoft store atm.

Originally posted by DSWBeef
    The game is different because its a whole entire new setting. It also features investigation quests which are quite fun if you dont cheat and use google. The skill wheel is also very nice. The endgame content is actually hard and isnt faceroll like in other games. While it may not be "innovative" it is different.

duh on my part..

how could I have forgotten the theme and setting? thats probably the main difference when compared with other mmo's..

lol

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Well if you fail to see the difference, them I guess no matter what a game does they will all be clones to you, what do you wish to do ?  Bake a cake to get XP ?  like serious f***, lots of the quest require to do some thinking, as well as some of the instances.
  • CathawayCathaway Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    [mod edit]

Okay then,  what in your opinion are the "bad mechanics" and "design" in TSW?  

Or are you just that person that thinks it's cool to type "Failcom" because some knuckleheads think Funcom ran over their dog or slapped their grandmother back in the day and ya'll got hurt cause it wasn't the PvP game you wanted!

Let me know guy...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Cathaway
    [mod edit]

Or are you just that person that thinks it's cool to type "Failcom" because some knuckleheads think Funcom ran over their dog or slapped their grandmother back in the day and ya'll got hurt cause it wasn't the PvP game you wanted!

Let me know guy...

You say you wanted as it is a bad thing. TSW sold quite poorly and is showing declining sub numbers on top of that, so I guess it is not what many people wanted.

Originally posted by Entropy14
    Well if you fail to see the difference, them I guess no matter what a game does they will all be clones to you, what do you wish to do ?  Bake a cake to get XP ?  like serious f***, lots of the quest require to do some thinking, as well as some of the instances.

I want interactive enviorments that don't feel like a painting on the wall.  If there is a car in the game then I better be able to drive it, what good is it if it's just a decoration? The biggest problem with these themeparks is that you have to pretend that you are doing something, rather than actually doing it.  A perfect example.  A quest where I have to write illumanti symbols in the graveyard to ward off the zombies.  I had to pretend that I was writing symbols by clicking on a box that was shown in my radar.  YAWN...it is time for the "pretend" physics to stop, this is just lazy quest writing. 

Or how about a world where players can build and design their own weapons, vehicles, houses... etc etc. We must move on from the same old same ol...

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Whipsmack
    Anytime I play TSW I want to play Fallen Earth and drive around on my motorcycle haha.

The Interceptor Speedster is so much faster. You should craft one of those.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

I suppose most MMO gamers don't quite understand innovation nor have they been burned out yet.  The great majority of them came into this genre because of WoW.  It is stuck in their head, that this is what the genre must be.  A time will come where you will be completely burnt out on a genre that doesn't innovate.

Ask yourself, how much time do you spend running from point A to point B, and fightning mindless battles? Would you say 90%?

Originally posted by Yamota
    [mod edit]

Let me know guy...

You say you wanted as it is a bad thing. TSW sold quite poorly and is showing declining sub numbers on top of that, so I guess it is not what many people wanted.

[mod edit]

No where did I mention "sales" or "subscription #'s" (however I'd like you to link me the "declining sub numbers" as you put it)

I just wanted to know why he thought TSW had "bad mechanics and design".

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but saying a company is "Failcom" without substantuating it seems petty to me.

I suppose most MMO gamers don't quite understand innovation nor have they been burned out yet.  The great majority of them came into this genre because of WoW.  It is stuck in their head, that this is what the genre must be.  A time will come where you will be completely burnt out on a genre that doesn't innovate.

Ask yourself, how much time do you spend running from point A to point B, and fightning mindless battles? Would you say 90%?

Wait so you want a sandbox and expected that in TSW which is a themepark? Sounds like your own damn fault. TSw is the only mmo where i actually stopped and read the lore and looked at the world. Im still baffled if you knew TSW was a themepark and you went into expecting buildable houses, fully interactive environments and more sandbox staples. 

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I'm with you.  I went into the game knowing what to expect and still couldn't stomach it.  Its just a reskinned quest-chase with a skill wheel.  The investigation quests can be fun, but for the most part its just a quirky little distraction and nothing amazing.

I made it to QL8 I think, nearly finishing Egypt, and by then I was so sick of the game that I couldn't continue.

I mean, it seems to me that they took your basic fantasy MMO, reskinned it to modern looks, replaced bows with guns, added more modern sword and hammer skins, and left magic as is, then restricted the races to human - and for the most part you're done.

I will say this - it is a quality game.  For what it is, its enjoyable enough, but its not innovative and not special enough to bring back enough enthusiasm to folks somewhat tired of the staple of the genre.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Yet the gameplay feels exactly like any other MMO clone.  Maybe I am missing something but I am bored to death with generic missions after generic missions.  The only thing that I feel is different is it has a different skin a different world.  I think it's great they went with a skill wheel that was a nice change, but I don't see any innovation here.  I feel that Fallen Earth had a much higher fun factor with the open world and player vehicles.  This world is cut off zones and theme park. Maybe fun for those Everquest junkies.  Very let down.

fallen earth certainly has some fun elements in it which include crafting and being able to ride a horse right away, but the environment and graphics are bad and the combat is terrible. An open world and good crafting does not necessaraly make for a fun game overall, Look at SWG it had those elements and could not draw a significant population.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    [mod edit]

Let me know guy...

[mod edit]

No where did I mention "sales" or "subscription #'s" (however I'd like you to link me the "declining sub numbers" as you put it)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but saying a company is "Failcom" without substantuating it seems petty to me.

All of this is subjective, as it is my opinion on the matter:

1. Combat Mechanics are terrible. Balance issues persist, and I'm not trying to say balance in the way that it'll be an even playing field. I'm saying balance as in, everyone is pigeon holed to a cookie cutter build in order to be effective. It may be an ability wheel and it's cool and all, but the same thing like trees.....there are A LOT of useless abilities. Problems linger and sure enough you got everyone playing like each other instead of variety, which is what was one of their selling point.

2. Combat Animations are still terrible. I'm sorry, that breaks "immersion" for me.

3. No levels you say? Replace levels with QL gear. Same ol same ol.

4. PvP is a joke. Even with the changes. There are many threads and opinions on that that share my own.

5. Subscription numbers DO matter, especially for a small company like Funcom. They NEED every single number they can get. Didn't you read the latest investor's report? It's pretty dismal and somewhat pessimistic. Which isn't their MO when they usually have these investor reports. They're usually delusionally optimistic.

The ONLY thing this game had going for it was the following:

1. Theme

2. Story (which is by far leaps and legions beyond LOLSWTOR)

[mod edit] They failed to sell 1M which was their goal. They failed to retain numbers. They failed to GET more sub numbers.

Now, Fail is also subjective. But in MY SUBJECTIVE view, they failed pretty bad.

P.S: For all of you that keep saying it was NEVER marketed as a PvP game.....It WAS marketed as a PvX game. Both PvE and PvP. They kept pushing that 3 faction stuff whenever they could. I'd dig up the quote from Ragnar himself, but I'm too lazy and frankly, I really don't care. My opinion is my opinion. :D

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

TSW is kind of a niche game, with a very themepark feel to it.  With that, I'm still playing it and love it.  

As for Fallen Earth, that game is also has an obvious quest progression and leveling system.  The crafting is bar none to any other game, but everything else is pretty status quo.  The world of Fallen Earth is nothing but a big wasteland with nothing inspiring about it.  The combat feels much like the SWG NGE (is that right?)....it's really bad.  Very easy to kill mobs and little effort needed at all. 

Funcom is WELL KNOWN for not having the best pvp experiences...they are very much so a PVE MMO creator.  Yes, it's very strange that their game's settings and ideas lend themselves to pvp, but Funcom doesn't do PVP well.  Their pve, dungeons and raids are some of the best though.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

You are below minimum requirments - so you havent even seen how good this game really looks nor have felt how that alone alters immersion.

The quests are voiced over by unique characters that put SWTOR to shame and are far from Generic. Sabotage and Investigation missions will challenge you or force you to run to your precious google for cheats.

The skill wheel is new, easily accessible and offering immense depth while the auxilary weapon wheel is growing every issue. Not since GW1 have we seen combat with so much variety and even then we didnt have synergy.

Setting and theme - well that is really all personal taste - but I for one cant stomach the idea of playing another androgynous elf thing or korean pedobait or DD breasted warrior in string and tinfoil in a world I cannot connect with or even faintly come to care about.

The Albion theatre, updated fight clubs and The Horned God are great area's for RP and show a willingness to add sandbox elements to their theme driven game.

Dungeons have no trash grind, no res rushing, and are all well written and designed experiences a cut above dungeons in just about every themepark Ive played.

PVP - needs work - although im sure a glance tank will be along shortly to wave their hand and say even that part is ok.

[mod edit]

Let me know guy...

[mod edit]

1. Combat Mechanics are terrible. Balance issues persist, and I'm not trying to say balance in the way that it'll be an even playing field. I'm saying balance as in, everyone is pigeon holed to a cookie cutter build in order to be effective. It may be an ability wheel and it's cool and all, but the same thing like trees.....there are A LOT of useless abilities. Problems linger and sure enough you got everyone playing like each other instead of variety, which is what was one of their selling point.

2. Combat Animations are still terrible. I'm sorry, that breaks "immersion" for me.

4. PvP is a joke. Even with the changes. There are many threads and opinions on that that share my own.

5. Subscription numbers DO matter, especially for a small company like Funcom. They NEED every single number they can get. Didn't you read the latest investor's report? It's pretty dismal and somewhat pessimistic. Which isn't their MO when they usually have these investor reports. They're usually delusionally optimistic.

1. Theme

[mod edit] They failed to sell 1M which was their goal. They failed to retain numbers. They failed to GET more sub numbers.

Now, Fail is also subjective. But in MY SUBJECTIVE view, they failed pretty bad.

P.S: For all of you that keep saying it was NEVER marketed as a PvP game.....It WAS marketed as a PvX game. Both PvE and PvP. They kept pushing that 3 faction stuff whenever they could. I'd dig up the quote from Ragnar himself, but I'm too lazy and frankly, I really don't care. My opinion is my opinion. :D

Thank you for that.^

Your opinion is in my eyes is now ligit.  And I guess that's all I asked for.  Well stated and explained my friend.

We shall agree to disagree in this regard.  But I appreciate your view.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    [mod edit]

Let me know guy...

[mod edit]

1. Theme

Thank you for that.^

Your opinion is in my eyes is now ligit.  And I guess that's all I asked for.  Well stated and explained my friend.

We shall agree to disagree in this regard.  But I appreciate your view.

Agreed on this as well -- thanks for posting a clearly explained set of opinions on the game.  I have absolutely no problem with anyone criticizing TSW, a game I obiviously like very much -- I just want to hear some reasoning behind it.   

A few thoughts:

The ability wheel is kind of a love it/hate it kind of thing.  It IS one of the big differentiators between TSW and other MMOs -- there are no classes, and there are no "levels," at least with this portion of the game.  You basically get almost 600 abilities, and are free to pick any (that you can afford) as you progress with experience in the game.  You can do it completely haphazardly, pick one of the templated "decks" as a target, or carefully read the abilities and mix and match to create your own.  There's a lot of freedom, but also many chances to create a "bad" deck.  I've found that the game produces lots of surprise builds that can be incredibly effective, simply by mixing and matching the right abilities, but NO deck works 100% of the time in all cases.  You might need to use one deck against one MOB, and another in a different situtation.  I've got AOE decks, single targets decks, defensive decks.  You can make as many as you need.  Some may dislike this system, but many here love it.  The ability wheel, for me, is one of the huge attractions to the game.

Reactions to animations typically range from "they're adequate" to "hate."  I actually have become pretty used to the animations and don't get that worked up about the averageness.  Sometimes I think they're actually pretty good.  But if you like tera style combat, well, you may have a hard time with TSW.

Okay, so there are gear levels, and this is porbably the easiest thing to point to as equivalent of levels in other MMOs.  Gear goes from "quality level" (QL) 1-10.5.  So 10.5 is the best in the game, but simply possessing the best gear isn't enough to beating all creatures in the game (it doesn't hurt).  But your ability deck setup, your skill at dodging and actually playing your abilities are equally important.  This is not faceroll combat -- just ask all the players who got their ass handed to them in Blue Mountains.

Yeah, PvP is a "work in progress(tm)."  Fusang has 3-faction PVP in an open battlefield setting, and many players spend a lot of time there.  They recently merged servers to create battlegroups so that the population would be a bit more blaanced, but underdogs are currrently getting dominated by the higher pop groups.  When it's balanced, the PvP can be great, but right now there's some tweaking in both rewards and balance that needs to happen before PvP is close to snuff.  My take on it is that at least Funcome has been very open and responsive in the feedback forums, and is working hard to make it better.  I've actually not seen a dev group as present in their communuity.

Despite all the doom and gloom around the business part of things, I've seen nothing but great community response from the TSW team, and the devs continue to push out monthly updates in a cheerful way.  The community is one of the friendliest I've seen, and some of the CoHers who have come over to TSW have commented about this as well.  

For those of you who seem to take such glee in a company's troubles, I say to you this: if you hate the idea of a company that tries new things, who listens to their community, who work hard to create some of the most imaginative storylines, quests, thinking puzzles, atmosphere, dungeons, who include something for ALL types of players (RPers, PvE, PVPers) in their updates, well, at least you have your hate.  For the rest of us, we have a lot of respect and support for this small company who is working hard to deliver what the bigger ones often miss.

Originally posted by Popori

I'm with you.  I went into the game knowing what to expect and still couldn't stomach it.  Its just a reskinned quest-chase with a skill wheel.  The investigation quests can be fun, but for the most part its just a quirky little distraction and nothing amazing.

I made it to QL8 I think, nearly finishing Egypt, and by then I was so sick of the game that I couldn't continue.

I mean, it seems to me that they took your basic fantasy MMO, reskinned it to modern looks, replaced bows with guns, added more modern sword and hammer skins, and left magic as is, then restricted the races to human - and for the most part you're done.

I will say this - it is a quality game.  For what it is, its enjoyable enough, but its not innovative and not special enough to bring back enough enthusiasm to folks somewhat tired of the staple of the genre.

by reading your post it seems to me that you didnt know what to expect at all..

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

What do you have to say about the dungeons?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Im sorry but if your forced into the Cookie Cutter builds in order to be effective then you just suck at the game. not trying to be offencive here but thats just how it is. I don't use a cookie cutter build, i have 6/6 every nightmare up to HE, the only thing thats holding me back is that our main tank went to play storm legion when it came out and hasnt come back yet. you DON'T need it to be effective, to be in the top DPS with the other elitist pricks sure but you dont need those builds to run anything.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Different in that its more of a singleplayer game than an MMO.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

This is something that is starting to annoy me. I have no problem with the SinglePlayer aspect of the game. to be able to log in and do stuff without standing around in chat going.

Pistol/AR LFG

Pistol/AR LFG

Pistol/AR LFG

Pistol/AR LFG

Pistol/AR LFG

Pistol/AR LFG

Pistol/AR LFG

seems to be this terrible thing that people hate. Funny thing is that you can't have both. you either have to Force Teamplay and make Soloing impossible or push solo play and make teamplay simple. i'd rather not have to spam chat for 2 hours before i can even start to bloody well play the game i just paid for. Your idea of forcing teamplay is obsurd and dumb,  If you want to play in a group then play in a group. If you think TSW had low numbers while allowing soloing imagine the numbers when forcing teamplay. all the games that are currently F2P would be shut down with this, The idea that making a game where you have to group will solve everything is obsurd. 

In terms of Railroading the game, i find this is one of the least offenders as of late. Its not like SWTOR where you do 3 quests, move to the area rinse and repeat. This is a game where you can literally if you want to start doing quests on the other side of the map you can, look for the short quests that are floating around spread across the map, you could even completely ignore the story mission if you wanted to There is no restriction.. if you follow the quests and do the "hubs" they lead to you are going to miss half the quests in the game. Please go to egypt and try to follow quests that way, good luck specially in Sun God.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.