Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a previous subscriber...do I get anything?...answer: nope

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

So, supposedly...even if you bought most/all of the expansions (I think I'm 2 expansions out of date)...you are locked out of all of them unless you pay to play. Is that true? That is what one of my guild mates said happened to him. You are also locked out of all previous characters one has made, from what I heard AND personally saw. So I had a paladin and a bunch of others (necromancer, shadowknight), but I had to delete them because I couldn't use them and I reached my character limit? They were all high levels...only one I could use was the class that free members get (the wizard), but he is only level 12...and the free classes are the most boring classes in the game...

So I paid all the expansions, and can't use them? I spent like 200 dollars on all of them...and I couldn't use any of my previous characters (outside the free one)? Which I spent a lot of time on. Also, an annoyance...all my extra bags were greyed out on my free class (even though I got them from /claim)...and when I made a new character I didn't have access to any bags OR any of my claim items.

So...what do previous subscribers get? And why did all my real money I spent, just become nullified? I spent 200 dollars on everything, and I'm locked out...spent so much time on my Paladin (which...time=money)...can't use him...and he is forever gone, because all the greyed out classes took up all my character slots and I couldn't make a new character...

Really annoyed to be honest...I spent so much money on my everquest 2 account...so much time...and I can't use any of it unless I fork over money...even if I get silver, its pointless...why would the expansions become locked out? I should be able to use them...I paid for them...200 dollars worth (plus tax by the way, it came out to be 250 or something)...and california tax is stupidely expensive)...

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    If u wan the subscriber benifits then subscribe. cant see it  getting any easier then that. But for now you get what every other free player gets
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

So wait Im not confused, youre talking about the EQ 2 free to play?

You spent all that money and sub fees over the years and now youre complaining about a sub fee you alreay were paying for?

Like I said Im confused...

You sure you didnt buy this account....?

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

So, supposedly...even if you bought most/all of the expansions (I think I'm 2 expansions out of date)...you are locked out of all of them unless you pay to play. Is that true? That is what one of my guild mates said happened to him. You are also locked out of all previous characters one has made, from what I heard AND personally saw. So I had a paladin and a bunch of others (necromancer, shadowknight), but I had to delete them because I couldn't use them and I reached my character limit? They were all high levels...only one I could use was the class that free members get (the wizard), but he is only level 12...and the free classes are the most boring classes in the game...

So I paid all the expansions, and can't use them? I spent like 200 dollars on all of them...and I couldn't use any of my previous characters (outside the free one)? Which I spent a lot of time on. Also, an annoyance...all my extra bags were greyed out on my free class (even though I got them from /claim)...and when I made a new character I didn't have access to any bags OR any of my claim items.

So...what do previous subscribers get? And why did all my real money I spent, just become nullified? I spent 200 dollars on everything, and I'm locked out...spent so much time on my Paladin (which...time=money)...can't use him...and he is forever gone, because all the greyed out classes took up all my character slots and I couldn't make a new character...

Really annoyed to be honest...I spent so much money on my everquest 2 account...so much time...and I can't use any of it unless I fork over money...even if I get silver, its pointless...why would the expansions become locked out? I should be able to use them...I paid for them...200 dollars worth (plus tax by the way, it came out to be 250 or something)...and california tax is stupidely expensive)...

This isn't really how it works.  You have access to the expansions that you purchased including dungeons and raids.  I have the expansion with the the beastmaster ( i haven't played for a while so it may be called something differrent) and I can create one and play it without being a sub.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by Hokie

So wait Im not confused, youre talking about the EQ 2 free to play?

You spent all that money and sub fees over the years and now youre complaining about a sub fee you alreay were paying for?

Like I said Im confused...

You sure you didnt buy this account....?

A year and a half or so ago, I spent 250 (includes tax, close around there) on expansions. I paid through time cards. But, due to real life constraits (time problems with college), I didn't feel I could afford a sub or had the time for one (college funds and work and what not).

So, I was reading a thread about the best housing and EQ2 often came up. So I downloaded EQ2, got my account I spent much money on...only to find out all my money I spent (250 on expansions, plus 1 x 3 months of subscription time)...is nullified. 

On the other hand. LOTRO, Fallen Earth, Aion...I kept ALL my characters I had previously, could play them...and for LOTRO...I still had access to the expansions I bought. I wasn't locked out of the expansions that I spent money on...(edit) And I also wasn't locked out of the characters I had previously made...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Its really pretty simple.  Come back and resubscribe, and you'll get access to everything you previously paid for. Or......

Come back under F2P and don't expect much credit for your past purchases.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Its really pretty simple.  Come back and resubscribe, and you'll get access to everything you previously paid for. Or......

So you think its okay to have spent 250 or so dollars on expansions, to then not be able to use said expansion? what kinda backwards thinking is that...no free to play conversion did that, except for EQ2...not LOTRO, Fallen Earth, Aion...none of the ones I played...

(edit)

And why is EQ2 been the only one that doesn't even let me use my previous character?

(edit x 2 )

At least it isn't as bad as SWTOR...but still...what is the point of EQ2 going free if it locks you out of everything and all the previous characters and expansions you had?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Kyleran

So you think its okay to have spent 250 or so dollars on expansions, to then not be able to use said expansion? what kinda backwards thinking is that...no free to play conversion did that, except for EQ2...not LOTRO, Fallen Earth, Aion...none of the ones I played...

(edit)

And why is EQ2 been the only one that doesn't even let me use my previous character?

(edit x 2 )

At least it isn't as bad as SWTOR...but still...what is the point of EQ2 going free if it locks you out of everything and all the previous characters and expansions you had?

I'm with you Scavenger... $O€ screws it's previous subscribers over more than once with their F2P shit. Like you I've spend lots on expansions and sub fees as well, and I can't even play my old main char anymore because it's past the free slots. Not to mention, I had all bag & bank slots filled with MASSIVE storage holders, and well... Can't use any of them other than pulling stuff out of it.

IMO $O€ should have used the Turbine system here and allow the OLD characters to be kept as they were before the account was reverted back to Free, OR allow us to buy bags/bankslots like Turbine does. Until either one option is not fulfilled, I'm not returning to EQ2 or any other $O€ game at all...

BTW - made a blogpost of it as well earlier this yaer -> http://www.pagesfromsages.com/?action=showentry&entry=1285

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

OP, they locked all you characters that weren't free classes?  That doesn't sound like any other SOE ftp game I've played, must be EQ2 specific.  What do you mean you can't use the expansion you've already bought?  That also doesn't sound right.

Edit:  I also thought you would be a Silver member if you paid $5 in the past.  OP you need to go back to the matrix and take a look because most of what you say makes no sense.

Originally posted by Mardukk

OP, they locked all you characters that weren't free classes?  That doesn't sound like any other SOE ftp game I've played, must be EQ2 specific.  What do you mean you can't use the expansion you've already bought?  That also doesn't sound right.

Edit:  I also thought you would be a Silver member if you paid $5 in the past.  OP you need to go back to the matrix and take a look because most of what you say makes no sense.

I consider silver member as a free member...there is barely any difference and you still don't pay anything, except a one time fee if you didn't already have it. A couple extra character slots, some extra gold...nothing that big of a deal. Its just free member with a little bit of extra...dunno if my account has silver or not, since silver isn't a big deal at all I didn't bother to look...still lots of restrictions

And yes, all my characters were locked except my wizard. Not sure what is up with that. My paladin couldn't be played at all.

On the official site it says "Play free!"...except none of my main characters can be played for free...kind of false advertising.

As for expansions, maybe they are already unlocked if you had them...I won't ever know, because all my high level characters (and they had really rare equipment, but that is locked too if you play free)...were greyed out and unplayable. So maybe my guild mate was wrong about the expansions...still...without being able to play my main characters (which I had to delete, because I couldnt make a free class due to character slot limit)...there isn't much of a point in doing any expansion stuff anyway.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    If that is all true Vanguard and EQ1 have much better FTP restrictions.  SOE needs to get their act together and make the restrictions the same for all of their games.
  • gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112
    If that is all true Vanguard and EQ1 have much better FTP restrictions.  SOE needs to get their act together and make the restrictions the same for all of their games.

Nah, SOE is fine.  This is just typical trolling by bored forum posters. 

Previous subscribers get access to all characters created and all expansions they ever paid for.  If they don't have it, all they had to do is submit a ticket and it would have been resolved by CS.

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

As soon as SOE fucked me up by removing the possibility of buying Expension with station cash i stopped playing all their game. Since now it's wasted money so not worth it to even bother with it.

SOE is probably the second worst compagny after EA... so don't even bother with their game lol.

Originally posted by gt4980b

Previous subscribers get access to all characters created and all expansions they ever paid for.  If they don't have it, all they had to do is submit a ticket and it would have been resolved by CS.

I don't know about the expansions, since all my characters were locked and I couldn't see if the expansions actually worked or not (my wizard is too low)...but well...all my characters except the wizard were locked.

Unless it was a bug solved by support...that would be one nasty bug. Figured it was just because I wasn't paying a sub...and since the characters were unusable and took up the character slots, I just deleted them so I could make room for an usable character. 

• gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112

I don't know about the expansions, since all my characters were locked and I couldn't see if the expansions actually worked or not (my wizard is too low)...but well...all my characters except the wizard were locked.

Unless it was a bug solved by support...that would be one nasty bug. Figured it was just because I wasn't paying a sub...and since the characters were unusable and took up the character slots, I just deleted them so I could make room for an usable character. 

You can probably submit a ticket and have your deleted characters restored.  They did this for people that deleted their characters.  They grandfathered in all characters after day 2 of F2P.  And don't delete characters for SOE games.  If you just submit a ticket, they will just activate the characters you want to play with.

Here are the two things that could be the issue...

1) Your account wasn't flagged correctly.  This happened to lots of people when F2P started.  And that was fixed by just submitting a ticket.

2) The client streams the game in the background.  It downloads the zones by level range pretty much.  If your character is in a zone that hasn't been patched yet, it won't let you log in.  It sounds like one of your charactes may have had this happen.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

a bug did affect some players that some characters were wrongly locked

and talking to SOE support will resolve any issues w that bug

Effective last year,

All pre-existing characters prior to 12/06/2011 --- have no restrictions for class or race

http://eq2wire.com/2011/12/08/returning-players-grandfathered-characters/

I recommend also asking SOE support to undelete your characters

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    ...but still...what is the point of EQ2 going free if it locks you out of everything and all the previous characters and expansions you had?

well its already been established that the character thing was something odd happening on your account.  You dont lose any expansion that you purchased, you still have access to all the content.  Actually everything until DoV is free, the only paid expansions now are AoD and CoE (which includes DoV).

And the point of EQ2 going f2p wasnt for old players to come back and play for free, its for new players to try the game out.

EQ2 certainly has a stable, if not growing, population and it seems that what they have done has worked.  A good indicator of this is that dev teams have recently been increased for EQ2 and EQ.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Others have shown that you get to keep your original characters.  My question is who deletes their "high level" characters like that without even looking on the official site to see if they are supposed to be playable, or checking with customer support to see if there is an error?  If I were returning to a game I had previously played I may roll a new character to get back into the swing of things, but deleting my high level ones are pretty much out of the question.  
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

There were also issues with people that had bought more charachter slots and they had problems going free to play, and that were fixed some time after launch. Me and my wife came back to the game free to play and had no problems, all old toons where grandfathered in, Yes you had to buy some bag slots and unlockers but nothing worse than anyother free to play game. The Coin restriction on Silver accounts gets removed now too.

Freemmium have brought a lot of people back to the game and if you are smart with buying SC for unlockers and such you can play free up to the mid 80s. You will need to subscribe for DoV and later expansions.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71

Hmm well i bought all the expansions also and also paid 15 a month back before it was free 2 play.

Whats the difference now you paid back then why cant you pay now ?

The thing is people need to relize there is no such thing as free to play , its free to log in.

I dont know what to say . Play the free to log in version or pay the sub like weve always done in the past.

Thats my opinion.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I purchased SWG and most expansions. At least you can still play your game.