Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Xsyon Cronicles

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

So, after reading, much soul searching, and a bit of foolishness, I've decided to support Xsyon and have added a month sub to see how the game has changed.  As part of this, I have decided to share my chronicles with the group.  If you are thinking of joining, then this thread is a must for your decision process.  (jk, in case there are too many literalists).  

Please add your own chronicle to the thread.  Lets see and compare what we think.  I'm going to do it in small chunks, so don't be surprised that I update a lot in the beginning as I work through the initial phases of the game.

Now, (drum roll please)...(I said drum roll!!!!!) for the beginning of the chronicle.

Options and character creation.

If you played in times of old, you won't see much different.  You have virtually the same options as you did before, other than a few added choices under skills.  From what I can tell, there are no hoverovers to tell you what skills and attributes do, so I recommend using the xsyon wiki, which seems up to date.

For those who haven't played, the options are fairly extensive, the character creation is a bit limited, although it does have some neat things like age, birthdays, and a fairly good weight/height system.  Definitely nothing to write home about, but gets the job done.

My initial character looks a bit like Hitler (not intentionally, but once I did notice it, I can't get the imagary  out of my head).

If you do decide to come into the game, my name is Mr_Potato_Head.  Look me up.  Maybe we can start a noob/return tribe.  might be fun.  I'm going to start on Founders Isle and see what's what.

Here goes....

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Here goes....

When I first jumped into this game after the relaunch, I was completely and utterly stoked.  The concept, on paper, sounded awesome.  In fact, I had a lot of fun for the first month, even with all the problems and rollbacks at the time.

I remember when I first spawned into the game, and I had a long 30+ minute walk into the wilderness to find my group's claimed land.  There were times when I would come across people, and we would just stop and talk to each other from a distance to read our intentions.  I would ask very nicely to pass through their land.  One dude even tried to chase me down.  After all, this was a survival game, and people could just kill you for walking through their land, if they wanted.  It was a very immersive experience as most sandboxes are.  

The problem with the game for me was that it's a crafting simulator with little else for gameplay.  PvE is lame, and PvP is clunky and meaningless.  It will be interesting to hear if you feel differently about it.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

So, after reading, much soul searching, and a bit of foolishness, I've decided to support Xsyon and have added a month sub to see how the game has changed.  As part of this, I have decided to share my chronicles with the group.  If you are thinking of joining, then this thread is a must for your decision process.  (jk, in case there are too many literalists).  

Please add your own chronicle to the thread.  Lets see and compare what we think.  I'm going to do it in small chunks, so don't be surprised that I update a lot in the beginning as I work through the initial phases of the game.

Now, (drum roll please)...(I said drum roll!!!!!) for the beginning of the chronicle.

Options and character creation.

If you played in times of old, you won't see much different.  You have virtually the same options as you did before, other than a few added choices under skills.  From what I can tell, there are no hoverovers to tell you what skills and attributes do, so I recommend using the xsyon wiki, which seems up to date.

For those who haven't played, the options are fairly extensive, the character creation is a bit limited, although it does have some neat things like age, birthdays, and a fairly good weight/height system.  Definitely nothing to write home about, but gets the job done.

My initial character looks a bit like Hitler (not intentionally, but once I did notice it, I can't get the imagary  out of my head).

If you do decide to come into the game, my name is Mr_Potato_Head.  Look me up.  Maybe we can start a noob/return tribe.  might be fun.  I'm going to start on Founders Isle and see what's what.

Here goes....

So why now and why didnt you bother exploring the game via the trial you were told about only hours ago?

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Mindtrigger,

I agree.  Those were some of the reasons I quit.  Also, my tribe just imploded with people dropping, that it sort of put the nail in the coffin.

Hancakes.  I should start the free trial.  That is always my recommendation.  But when I was looking at the trial, I think it said that the server is wiped every monday or something.  I would want to go a bit deeper before I decide to make a real go at it, or quit it again, and wait for the next big push they are making.

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69
    Since the price reduction that isn't a bad choice. Looking forward to reading your chronicles.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Hitler, eh?

I always thought my guy from beta/launch looked like Charlie Manson a bit

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

He does look like Manson... very funny.

Not to BiZZZZness.

The first hour.

"I found myself on founders Island.  Lost confused, and a bit scared.  I awoke to buildings and a tribe right there before my eyes.   Deterred, I was not though.  I took my basic tools and looked for the door.  Luck was with me, and I found it.  But it was dark and I was hungry, thirsty, cold, and alone.   Not a good feeling, was Had by Mr. Potato Head.  Thus the call went out.  Any tribes recruiting??  I yelled as loud as I could, but the call only went out locally.   Luckily a good samaritan took this poor, broken, and cold soul under his wing, and I was in a tribe.  No longer alone, was Mr. Potato Head"

Specifics:

Graphics.  (veterans)  Same as before.  (Potential veterans)  Not the greatest by far, but they are better than minecraft.

Fauna.  (veterans)  There is a lot more fauna than before. and watch out for zombies and such.  (Potential veterans)  Probably doesn't make much sense to you, but in the not so golden age, there were only one or two creatures.

GUI.  (veterans)  Much improved.  (Potential veterans)  The GUI is fairly standard.  tool bars and various boxes you can drag and drop where you want on your screen.  

Hungry, Thirsty, and Cold.  (veterans) same as before.  (Potential Venterans) You do have to eat and drink in order to remain healthy.  As for being cold, I was perhaps a bit addled due to the newness of the area.

Day/Night.  (veterans)  I can't really remember how the seasons changed, but seems to be similar.  (potential veterans)  There is a day/night cycle as well as a seasonal cycle.  Pretty neat actually.

Chat.  (veterans)  There was only local chat back in yonder year, now there is global also.  (potential veterans)  This may seem strange, but back in the day, this was a make or break issue with many.

Thus ends my first bit in the land of Xsyon.  Now for some real life eating, cooking, and Ironically cold, when I take the puppies out.