Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the state of MMO's getting worse?

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

From what I see MMO's are just getting worse and worse every year now, nevermind the anti-social WoW swarming with pandas, Guild Wars 2 has now dropped the ball with their own problem, with Ascended armor so Guild Wars 2 is now like WoW with the easy but grindy gear system. [mod edit]

I don't like MMO's myself anymore, I'm fed up of the trolling and the lack of fun people to be around with. I suppose I'll never get into online gaming ever again if online gaming is going to continue down this route.image

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    I agree. But some small move is being attempted, although it's still bogged down with old thinking of making games instead of worlds.

Once upon a time....

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

All these kids in their fancy new Ascended gear and hip Pandas need to get off your MMO lawn!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

All these kids in their fancy new Ascended gear and hip Pandas need to get off your MMO lawn!

Yeah, we don't need it. Get off our lawn.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

Yeah, we don't need it. Get off our lawn.

And they can take their "end game" with them!

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98

Companys are to busy trying to put a little something for everybody in mmo's today.

Remember having a tank, healer, crowd control, ranged dps, melee dps, and a puller?

we now have tank, healer, dps, or not even that I some games.

We use to NEED a group to do things, now we can group if we want to run an instance, maybe raid.

i do like having some solo content to do while lfg, but now it makes up most of the game.

Instanced pvp is now just the same rehashed bs from one game to another. Huttball was kind of a fun spin on capture the flag until it was just about the only one you got in to do. 

Unfortunately until wow collapses, aaa company's will just keep rehashing the same thing to keep investors happy until some indie company really changes something that is a hit.

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by cagar

Companys are to busy trying to put a little something for everybody in mmo's today.

Remember having a tank, healer, crowd control, ranged dps, melee dps, and a puller?

we now have tank, healer, dps, or not even that I some games.

We use to NEED a group to do things, now we can group if we want to run an instance, maybe raid.

i do like having some solo content to do while lfg, but now it makes up most of the game.

Instanced pvp is now just the same rehashed bs from one game to another. Huttball was kind of a fun spin on capture the flag until it was just about the only one you got in to do. 

Unfortunately until wow collapses, aaa company's will just keep rehashing the same thing to keep investors happy until some indie company really changes something that is a hit.

I hope this doesn't come off wrong, but it sounds to me like you want the same old thing rehashed over and over too, just a different thing. That thing being forced grouping with little solo content... I can see forced grouping for some parts of the game, but you shouldn't need to group to progress in the game in general IMO. I like games that have a good mixture of the two.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I dunno if MMO's are getting worse, but this same topic literally keeps coming back up every weekend, just in a different thread.

Yes, no, maybe so, who can say?

For the rest of us, there's always EVE.

And soon I'll be playing DF:UW.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

State of MMOs?  Naw.

Rhetoric re: Doom?  Far worse.

Thinly designed 'bash the damnkids' posts?  It's a spectator sport in these here parts.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No best mmo in bloody years has just released and its free.

Also tsw and gw2 were a cut above most mmos of the past 5 years or so.

I believe 2011 was the low for mmos and things are gradually picking up.

You certainly can't call planetside, gw and tsw lazy wow clones.

Do they sell these, in the mmorpg.com shop?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

im feeling rather optimistic

Archeage

Greed Monger

Black Desert

The Repopulation

While these are a long way off the future looks bright.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Other than some odd reference to 'pandas' (and if you're busy complaining about the Pandaren, I'll take it as a matter of principle that you haven't actually played MoP), your complaints -- and mine -- are not about MMO's.  It's about the way the online gaming community has seemed to sour.  Players could still police their own...they simply don't have the desire to.  And since they won't, and companies won't, then the trend will continue until someone decides enough is enough.
    Originally posted by Lissyl
    Players could still police their own...they simply don't have the desire to.  And since they won't, and companies won't, then the trend will continue until someone decides enough is enough.

Hasn't really been possible, let alone effective, since Blizzard (and other companies) began selling 'get out of jail free' cards.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

I feel really sorry for this community, always looking at the past and never being thankfull for what they got. Stuck perpetually in nostalgia and never acepting change.

Trully sorry.

In the end what you consider worse i consider fantastic, such is the nature of life.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

The graphics are better, animations are better, servers are much more stable.

But the community is horrendous in most MMO imo, the F2P model with a cash shop is hard to like, being constantly spammed and nickle and dimed.

It's a wash overall for me, while some technical aspects improved, the communities and payment model are much worse than in the past.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Conan's Father: Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giant developers lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of role playing game. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giant developers, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of role playing game and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giant developers. Just men. The secret of role playing has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
    [Points to ArcheAge]
    Conan's Father: This you can trust.

Not really sure about ArcheAge ,but someday there will be new UO.

Let's internet

Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Not men, not women, not breasts.

[Points to AoC]

Just a couple of minor mods, since FC owns the rights currently.

Next time, use Fafhrd.  His IP is free and clear, just expensive.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

From what I see MMO's are just getting worse and worse every year now, nevermind the anti-social WoW swarming with pandas, Guild Wars 2 has now dropped the ball with their own problem, with Ascended armor so Guild Wars 2 is now like WoW with the easy but grindy gear system. Do I get the feeling that MMO's are just retarded now?

I don't like MMO's myself anymore, I'm fed up of the trolling and the lack of fun people to be around with. I suppose I'll never get into online gaming ever again if online gaming is going to continue down this route.image

No. I see MMOs are getting better and better. First, they become F2P. Now most don't require you to socialize when you don't want to. Now most don't require you to commit to anything (like raid schedule) and can jump in and play for a while any time you want to.

Marvel Heroes is coming that merge MMOs with Marvel Ultimate Alliance gameplay.

MMOs are branching out into FPS (Planetside 2), MOBA, some features go into ARPG (AH on D3). I am playing much more online game than SP game because of this trend.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Not men, not women, not breasts.

[Points to AoC]

Just a couple of minor mods, since FC owns the rights currently.

Next time, use Fafhrd.  His IP is free and clear, just expensive.

dang it,I remember trying to play that and i learned a lot about naked virtual bodies and russian,my virtual Hyborian adventures ended quite fast.

Let's internet

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Not sure if it is getting worse or that the Devs aren't keeping up with the Curve of reasonable expectaions.  I liked  SWG and Vanilla WoW  because the worlds felt huge, sometimes too big even after I hit level cap..  It's 2012 and I still don't have a rocket car , a jet pack or a  computerized Dugeon Master. A computerized DM seem like a pretty reasonable demand for the 21st century.
    Originally posted by Theodwulf
    A computerized DM seem like a pretty reasonable demand for the 21st century.

Word.

There is these random mission generators which are like 10 years old,in my books those are DM v0.1

Now wheres is  version 2.0.

instead of improving those we got dailys and weeklys and DM v0.00000001.

Edit: Paper & pen role playing session featuring DM v0.00000001

-guys now you need to gather 10 flowers..... and tomorrow and day after that and that and whole next week and next month,guys where are you going ,guyyyyys ?

Edit2: There is this new contender now which took DM v0.0000001 to next level,now its not even dailys or weeklys anymore,its hourlys or minutelys?  and that DM is called "dynamic"

Let's internet

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

MMOs and single player RPGs have melded. We not play the "content" watches enimies go down and move onto the next game. Players chase the new content and devs chase the new players....a never ending cycle.

Gone are games of passion from the industry and instead we have soulless games that try to take as many working systems from other games and cram them all into a newer shiner content package.

What happened to the longevity of games? Sheesh.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by austriacus

I feel really sorry for this community, always looking at the past and never being thankfull for what they got. Stuck perpetually in nostalgia and never acepting change.

Trully sorry.

In the end what you consider worse i consider fantastic, such is the nature of life.

The same here. The expansion of MMOs into so many other styles of games has given me hundreds of games to choose from. I think a lot of people here view MMOs as a genre, rather than a platform, and any evolution of a genre is always seen as a violation or betrayal of it. Anything that deviates from a modern version of their first MMO is viewed as not a 'real' or 'true' MMO and immediately bashed with all the standard catch phrases and buzzwords.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

From what I see MMO's are just getting worse and worse every year now, nevermind the anti-social WoW swarming with pandas, Guild Wars 2 has now dropped the ball with their own problem, with Ascended armor so Guild Wars 2 is now like WoW with the easy but grindy gear system. Do I get the feeling that MMO's are just retarded now?

All the fun is in EVE-Online my friend , best community ever without barriers!! :)      When it comes to MMO , nothing beats EVE , noob or veteran , everyone is needed! :D    And with the new expansion coming out Dec 4 , noobs will be part of the veteran class rather quickly!   o/   hooray for huggies!! :D

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by austriacus

Trully sorry.

The same here. The expansion of MMOs into so many other styles of games has given me hundreds of games to choose from. I think a lot of people here view MMOs as a genre, rather than a platform, and any evolution of a genre is always seen as a violation or betrayal of it. Anything that deviates from a modern version of their first MMO is viewed as not a 'real' or 'true' MMO and immediately bashed with all the standard catch phrases and buzzwords.

Would you rather see 8 crappy B films or an epic movie that is such a good film it is worth showing to your kids?

Just because there are more games does not mean they are beter.

Its clear that the longevity of these games has gone way down and that is why I see the industry as going down hill.

Interesting distiction between platform and genre though. Yep Single player RPGs being made into MMO for the extra cash......thats pretty much all we have gotten recently.