Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 item style in a MMO

PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

Do you think a MMO could work with a D3 style drop system. Like bosses can drop Rare/Legendary but with random stats, and most of the items being BOE?

I kinda like running dungeons or watever, but getting that better piece of gear is annoying and sometime you do a full run HOPING to get 1 piece, would be fun if I could see a good drop that I know I could sell for more.

I know that this would allow rich people on the server to outgear those who grind less money but maybe there are ways to play with that.. Anyways i'm just asking for your opinion

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

RNG is something that is sadly missing in MMO's today

Asheron's Call did it perfect IMO, and it worked perfect.  

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Diablo 2 was extremely boring if you think about it. However, the loot system was so good that that alone kept people playing... including myself.

The Diablo loot system is the best loot system.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Random is good but D2 > D3 in that department.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Diablo the mmo already exists its called wow (and eq2 and rift and Aoc and swtor)
  • PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Diablo the mmo already exists its called wow (and eq2 and rift and Aoc and swtor)

Some people do not even takes the time to read before replying. I never talked about a Diablo MMO, I talked in a Diablo LOOT SYSTEM in a MMo...

I would personally love the idea and i'm trying to implement it in a little game i'm making, But hey I do not have 10million budget so it's "almost" only a dream so far ;)

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

if you want a game to fail, sure go ahead with the random item stats. even with wow giving away items, people are still complaining about the RNG drop rate.

And you want a D3 item system in an MMO? play more mmo and understand the complaints and the complements before you agree or suggest a sandbox only system/mechanic.

Secondly, how would a D3 loot system benefit anyone if the current trend of mmo are all following the "class" specific epic item sets or weapons? Who would actually take items in raids knowing there will be a better version of it next boss around the corner? Think these issues through.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by omidus

if you want a game to fail, sure go ahead with the random item stats. even with wow giving away items, people are still complaining about the RNG drop rate.

They're complaining about the frequency of useful drops not the random portion. Has nothing to do with using randomly generated loot as long as the upgrades aren't weeks apart.

And you want a D3 item system in an MMO? play more mmo and understand the complaints and the complements before you agree or suggest a sandbox only system/mechanic.

How the eff is Diablo a sandbox? You're really starting to fail here.

Secondly, how would a D3 loot system benefit anyone if the current trend of mmo are all following the "class" specific epic item sets or weapons? Who would actually take items in raids knowing there will be a better version of it next boss around the corner? Think these issues through.

How about you think it through and make some sense? You're already assuming that devs would do itemization wrong in this aspect and ignoring the possibility of doing it right.

See responses in red, negative Nancy.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I'd rather see an MMO where the majority of items a player finds and equips are all mundane, with all magic items being somewhat unique and come with their own history, rather than just being one of a million pumped out of some magic factory.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by omidus

You people take these things too literal.

If a randomized stat system was introduced in a MMO, it would be fantastic...if it was done properly.

There are sorts of sanctions that must be in place, but it can be done and would ultimately make for a much better MMO.

At the moment, loot is just boring. It's so ****** boring. At least in a game like Diablo, there are no end-game clones. If they were able to provide good reasons and incentives to still craft and raid, then the d3 loot system would work well.
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    I'd rather see an MMO where the majority of items a player finds and equips are all mundane, with all magic items being somewhat unique and come with their own history, rather than just being one of a million pumped out of some magic factory.

Isn't that what we've all been playing for years?

When you have magic weapons with "history", isn't that just a set item? I'm sick of seeing millions of players all wearing the "Set of Death" or wielding "The Bow of Argos" etc...

It's stupid. I'd rather all items be truley unique.