Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Unholy Wars: User Interface Presentation

HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tGfEF0bS6_Q

I CANT WAIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Player points seems is the new playing field for min-maxers.

Hope they difficult to get with a steady lerncurve so this game get back on track to MMORPG's and dont become a shooter ....

there was also lots of windows to seen for miliseconds , i think someone will analyze them soon...

Am i right there was no specialization on trading skills (a short observation indicated this) ?  if so...then dumb...very dumb...so AVish...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104

wow i absolutely LOVE the new gui!!

this video just got me so hyped up for the 12th

• MelgarothMelgaroth Member UncommonPosts: 42

I think this game has huge potential now with the modernization of its GUI, updated graphics, new toys to play with in the sandbox, and a myriad of other improvements.

I expect launch date to suck because of the momentum this game is building up and I don't know if AV can handle the sheer number of players I "think" are going to be clamouring to log on at release.

Still, this is the only game im looking forward to in the forseeable future. This is the only MMO ive played in the past 5 years I can say is worth a crap. Hopefully the updated version will attract more people who were on the fence about it and they can finally see what DF players have been raving about for years despite all the screw ups at AV.

Bring on the haters.

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Looks rly nice I might say. And the guy had a sexy eyebrow going on as well. :P
  • rafikosrafikos Member Posts: 33
    Awsome video and a lot of new informations, Thank you AV
  • BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Dunno why but even when I wasn't paying attention to what he said I felt comfortable with what he said. That make any sense? Just felt like a straight shooter.

No, I'm straight btw!

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I C A N T W A I T
  • SulaSula Member Posts: 17
    Yeah, it looks so good it's almost surreal. This might actually be a game even the non-fanbois will wanna play...
  • bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Hmmm did they remove the  UO style of looting?
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

It looks A LOT better.

How it will play is another matter. I'm still skeptical...after all, it's Aventurine.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by bingo69

looks like they going cookie cutter and mainstream now and dont care about the initial vision anymore. Just steal impressions with some shallow changes and nothing of substance behind it...

yep looting was used to be  a tactical element , i guees now you can press "loot all"...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

looks like they going cookie cutter and mainstream now and dont care about the initial vision anymore. Just steal impressions with some shallow changes and nothing of substance behind it...

yep looting was used to be  a tactical element , i guees now you can press "loot all"...

yeah cause dragging items from one box to the other involved hardcore tactical knowledge and skill..rofl

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Love that roll the archer does at 00.27
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

yeah cause dragging items from one box to the other involved hardcore tactical knowledge and skill..rofl

this

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

who clicked and dragged anything?

Hit auto-looter macro... entire grave looted in 1-2 seconds.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Kaminaxius

Obviously you do not understand why looting was setup the way it was in DF. It made it so you were vulnerable if you wanted to loot everything from a killed NPC or player. When you saw another player standing over a corpse/tombstone looking down, unless you came at them head on, all that would give you away was the sound that you made during your approach. 

It added more risk and more excitement. It worked very well and it would be shame if it was removed from DF:UW.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Looting didnt need to chance the gui made looting that bad and looks like they are fixing the gui so looting should not be as horribad but still leave you vulnerable.
  • NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Obviously you do not understand why looting was setup the way it was in DF.

To support looting macros?

• georgatos7georgatos7 Member Posts: 54

My only minor concern on the new video is that an even more minimalistic look would look even better (smaller icons, slimmer tabs, etc).
    Other than that it's an awesome update and i can't wait for the release.

...Am i right there was no specialization on trading skills (a short observation indicated this) ?  if so...then dumb...very dumb...so AVish...

They already stated in a blog that they are going to introduce crafting masteries ingame so i guess they'll be in.

So imo a tier limitation along with a bigger chance for failure will make sure the economy will be diverse and player driven enough.

But limiting crafting too much along with the absence of an Auction House at the release (as stated) will force players to log out if they are unable to find what they need to buy.

Like what happened in MO were individual players and small groups were afraid to venture out and fight because they wouldn't be able to replace some of their stuff in a case of death.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Go go loot script

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Obviously you do not understand why looting was setup the way it was in DF. It made it so you were vulnerable if you wanted to loot everything from a killed NPC or player..

Only noobs manually dragged and dropped, it was a crap system which was easily exploited.  I'm all for any changes in UW that negate the "need" to macro/script.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

this this this

click and drag inventory was one of darkfalls worst features. its got nothing to do with mainstream it was simply retarded.

My blog: image

• odienmanodienman Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Cool looks promising...
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

If you played the original Darkfall you will know people already used loot scripts for the same perpose. Most were just made using AutoHotkey and became an accepted form of looting in the player community, for the most part. When you played the game for over three years, manually looting each item becomes a pain. You can easily balance it by looting more fairly in PvP fights, and most clans had rules regarding looting (no "bag looting" an entire gear set off a grave).

That said, we don't know what the UW loot mechanic is. If it is manual, people will simply use scripts again, unless Aventurine bans the use of AutoHotkey and other keybind programs.

ANYWAY! GUI looks amazing, feat/achievement system was unexpected but a GREAT addition to replace quests for new players. And I like the 'hidden' information in the video a lot, such as the dodge roll, crafting skill names (engineering, wut!), and so on. Can't wait to play darkfall again.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Obviously you do not understand why looting was setup the way it was in DF. It made it so you were vulnerable if you wanted to loot everything from a killed NPC or player. When you saw another player standing over a corpse/tombstone looking down, unless you came at them head on, all that would give you away was the sound that you made during your approach. 

It added more risk and more excitement. It worked very well and it would be shame if it was removed from DF:UW.

I honestly don't see much of a tactical or strategic advantage here.  When you compare the tactical part and the annoyance part, the annoyance part is far more troubling in my opinion.  I played Ultima Online and Darkfall, and it is a dated inventory system that is more annoying to deal with than anything else.  If anything, it reduces the need for scripts, which I believe was a main goal when looking at the GUI and how their systems operated.  

Don't fool yourself.  Scripts was a very large contributor to the newbies to veteran gap that was created.  In fact, it is nearly exclusively the reason.  Sure, AV not enforcing rules to stop macro'ers and scriptors didn't help.  The bugs and exploits not being fixed fast enough didn't help.  All the same, reducing the need or ability to cheat the system is a step forward in my book.  People are people, they will get whatever advantage that they can, even if they know it is wrong.

I don't see much cookie cutter or mainstream changes.  I see a few ideas to bridge the gap to the hardcore nature of Darkfall.  This almost always happens though, these conversations, it attracts the extremes in fans.  Some fans believe that anything deviating from the hardest of hardcore is complete carebear, and therefor trash.  Others believe the opposite.  I believe that Aventurine should have done this a long time ago.  They are now finally realizing that the only way to really succeed in this market is the soften up the learning curve, create a more user friendly combat system, and figure out a way to even the playing field a little bit.  

I don't see anything shallow about the reasoning behind the changes.  It takes some big balls to admit your failures.  And let's not gloss over that fact, they have been failures.  Under 10,000 active concurrent players in a MMO does not equal success.  I don't care how much money was spent on it or if it is targetting a niche market.

I don't think any of us could even begin to imagine the amount of time spent on making these decisions.