Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Completely open character creation and minimal quests

AbscheulichAbscheulich Member UncommonPosts: 11

If anyone remembers Asheron's Call or even The Realm, I'm looking for a game with similar character creation.

In Asheron's call there weren't any classes but instead you specialized in any skill you wanted and used the experience you gained to increase those skills.  They cost less depending on which ones you specialized in.  Basically, you created your class exactly how you wanted instead of being in a very limited, pre-determined class.

As for The Realm, you chose a class, but you also chose to spend intial points in different stats.  These stats later affected chances of successfully crafting things.

I'd also prefer minimal questing.  I found it exciting to group up with people and run into a non-instanced dungeon to grind on mobs.  

I'd also really prefer a sandbox.  Asheron's Call world was amazing because it had limited instant-teleporting and you had to actually run places and discover things.

I've tried TSW, GW2, WoW, and a slew of other F2Ps that didn't pan out.  None of them have had the open character creation that I'm looking for.

Any ideas on games out now or upcoming games that meet this criteria?

Thanks

Comments

• UgediBugediUgediBugedi Member Posts: 14
    Darkfall Unholy Wars?
  • kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

played me both  and they were fun,  the realm still has a little spot in cyberspace actually lol

http://www.realmserver.com/

nothing to offer for new titles i am afraid

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Eve Online. You quest only if you want to, you can train the specific skills that you choose to fulfill a role that you choose (or several), and it's a sandbox.

Where's the any key?

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

Ryzom: sandbox, classless, totally open.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• AbscheulichAbscheulich Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Holy crap.  I never thought they would still be around.  That was like... 14 years ago or something.  
    Originally posted by Gilgameesh

That game looks okay (I watched some youtube videos).  Anything like that but newer?  I'm looking for a game that's not terribly dated either.  That way I can get into it without fear of it becoming "old" in the long run.

Originally posted by UgediBugedi
    Darkfall Unholy Wars?

I've been looking into this game some, but it looks like they have pre-defined roles.

• DresbainDresbain Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Maybe Darkfall UW, Greed Monger,  Trials of Ancension or Embers of Caerus. All upcoming titles.

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by Abscheulich
    Originally posted by Gilgameesh

That game looks okay (I watched some youtube videos).  Anything like that but newer?  I'm looking for a game that's not terribly dated either.  That way I can get into it without fear of it becoming "old" in the long run.

You can try it for free. The game had a "new beginning" just 2 month ago. Graphics is dated but still is very nice and stylish. Animations are okay. Much better than many other newer games. I play it in full HD and with max settings and it is awesome.

And wildlife AI is something you'll never see in any mmo around.

Other than that, i don't know any other title where you can find same feeling of freedom as AC around.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

Originally posted by Mallen78
    Maybe Darkfall UW, Greed Monger,  Trials of Ancension or Embers of Caerus. All upcoming titles.

Darkfall UW really did look like the exact game I was looking for, but as far as I can tell they took out open class customization and put in place roles with sub-roles.  Not exactly my thing as it's like WoW and being a paladin but being protection spec'd.

Greed Monger on the other hand looks absolutely fantastic.  I haven't been able to find much information on it, but what I have found looks almost perfect.  I haven't seen the class creation aspect, but the idea that you actually have to craft everything and that no gear drops (only crafting materials) is very attractive.

Any idea when Greed Monger is set to release? 

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Darkfall Unholy Wars?

Beat me to it :P i would say try darkfall Unholy wars it comes out on the 12/12/12 assuming it doesnt get pushed back.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Abscheulich
    Darkfall Unholy Wars?

I've been looking into this game some, but it looks like they have pre-defined roles.

Its somewhat class base now but u can change them when ever you want, the original darkfall had no classes however it got to the point where the only one viable playstyle and that was have everything unlocked. From my understannding you will still need to level skills up from using them just like darkfall was however you cant be everything at once you can change ur roll when ever aswell.