Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for veterans, How do you tank ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I've played many mmos including WoW.  I've played every role, dps, healer and some tank.  I know dungeon mechanics, how to pull, generate aggro, manna regen, casters roll and so on.

In fact ( in my opinion )  I think Im good with individual strategies depending on the situation.  Like certain mobs will run and get others.  Well, pull that type to your group to spread the run distance in case they run and get friends.  Other times I would pull that stubborn caster around a corner or another room, that way you can have him close.

So whats my problem ?.......Players are more often than not out of control.  Every group comes with a new set of situations that at least one person screws me up....I guess your thinking that I'm a control freak by now.  But if I'm tanking I have a mindset of how I would like to do things, so I guess it may be true.

[mod edit]  I'm a level 23 Druid and I'm spected for tanking.  So far, I found hunters that send there pets in first.  Warlocks that insist on using Void walkers to screw up aggro instead of using their Imp for dps.  Mages that have to sheep everything, and Rogues that feel as if they are God.  And with all this everyone blames me for not holding aggro.....If i'm waiting for the healers manna to regen, then there goes the hunters pet.

Trying to explain or stop this madness goes on def ears.  Yet, I see other tanks with no problems.  I'm about two seconds away from re-spec to become a healer.  But I would like to know whats up with all this....How do tanks handle this ?  Remember this is for Veterans that remember when WoW was actually hard. 

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Low level dungeons are impossible to tank traditionally since you don't even have all of your tanking tools availabe yet.  Don't worry about it, the hunter's pet can off tank just fine for you.  Also, keep in mind that most of your other players are either overgeared (heirlooms) or new and don't know what their doing.  Both of those make traditional tanking impossible.  Most groups at that level just blow through the dungeon anyway.  Don't worry too much about it at that level.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• grouchomarxgrouchomarx Member Posts: 19
    You should probably try tanking on more than one class to see what you like.  I tried tanking on a druid and absolutely hated it, because he didn't seem to have a lot of AoE taunts.   I tried tanking on a DK and the lack of survivability seemed to be a problem there.  I picked a pally and he's been my tank ever since.
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Its not your fault.

Those days everybody had to use their toolset right,rogue must sap some mob from pack,mages need to sheep right monster and maybe even right time,hunters need to use their traps correctly.

ANd if i remember right druids were really bad tanks in vanilla.

Edit : they were so frikking bad that when i was leveling somewhere around level 30,i first had to cast HoTs and then morph and i was able to fight against my own lvl monster,if i didnt cast those hots i would have died most likely.

Let's internet

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83

The game in vanillia is nothing like it is now, tankin back then was simple because most classes didnt have AOE any only simple low damaging attacks, also people understood to CC so at most you would be tanking one or two mobs at a time

• KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70

For those of you that are unaware he said he is currently playing vanilla aka a private server, so heirlooms and DK's and the like aren't in.  Since posting about private servers is against the rules it is very unlikely you would get valid helpful responses as mostly everyone that posts here is either playing on official servers or not at all. Even assuming we did play(on private servers) and remember how things worked back then--that wouldn't translate well into a private server, things are just too different or downright broken for old strategys to work in an emulated server.

Considering the enviroment in which you are playing though, I'd say your success/failure has more to do with who you're playing with, a competent tank/healer can only carry a group so far.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    As mentioned before Druid in vanilla wasn't a very good main tank.  They weren't really good off-tanks either.  They had threat issues, and no aoe taunts.  Warrior was probably the best vanilla tank, as long as you got to charge, switch to protection stance :)  2nd best would probably be paladin, Although paladin didn't have the aoe they have now.  For overall tanking, Warrior's make the best tank, they had alot of AoE taunts with thunder clap, shouts, cleave, etc.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by delete5230

I've played many mmos including WoW.  I've played every role, dps, healer and some tank.  I know dungeon mechanics, how to pull, generate aggro, manna regen, casters roll and so on.

In fact ( in my opinion )  I think Im good with individual strategies depending on the situation.  Like certain mobs will run and get others.  Well, pull that type to your group to spread the run distance in case they run and get friends.  Other times I would pull that stubborn caster around a corner or another room, that way you can have him close.

So whats my problem ?.......Players are more often than not out of control.  Every group comes with a new set of situations that at least one person screws me up....I guess your thinking that I'm a control freak by now.  But if I'm tanking I have a mindset of how I would like to do things, so I guess it may be true.

[mod edit]  I'm a level 23 Druid and I'm spected for tanking.  So far, I found hunters that send there pets in first.  Warlocks that insist on using Void walkers to screw up aggro instead of using their Imp for dps.  Mages that have to sheep everything, and Rogues that feel as if they are God.  And with all this everyone blames me for not holding aggro.....If i'm waiting for the healers manna to regen, then there goes the hunters pet.

Trying to explain or stop this madness goes on def ears.  Yet, I see other tanks with no problems.  I'm about two seconds away from re-spec to become a healer.  But I would like to know whats up with all this....How do tanks handle this ?  Remember this is for Veterans that remember when WoW was actually hard. 

In Vanilla WoW, druids did not ideally tank until direbear form and when they had their aggro management skills. I remember that as being around level 45 (can't remember exactly since it has been so long). Most feral druids did catform and took on dps role and respecced for bear later on. The problem with druid healing spec in Vanilla is that you cannot solo easily with it.

However, it is not just your class choice but also the attitude of the players. They need to cooperate with the tank if they are going to continue to play vanilla WoW. A warlock should not use his voidwalker in most cases in a group, unless he is demo-specced and his blueberry is the only tank in the group. I almost always used my imp unless I was needed for cc on humanoids and then I used my succubus. Pets should always be on passive because there were quite a few bugs with pets in those days where they could attract aggro even if the hunter/lock did not want them to. At any rate, if a lock is being dumb with persisting on using a voidwalker, tell him to switch to imp or kick him.

One way to cope is to ask for group lead if you are not the one forming the group, and make sure to mark each encounter and tell your groupmates who is primary target, secondary, etc. and most importantly, who is the one to be sapped/sheeped/seduced, etc.

Making your pulls properly is also a must: waiting for patrols, only drawing small groups that everyone can handle, and if need be, making sure your group knows that you are the sole puller period. One thing that was hard to manage too were all of the cowardly mobs running off into new groups of adds. If you have a lock in your group, there is a curse (whose name I forget at the moment, I think it was curse of aggression) that will snap them out of it.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Its not your fault.

Those days everybody had to use their toolset right,rogue must sap some mob from pack,mages need to sheep right monster and maybe even right time,hunters need to use their traps correctly.

Edit : they were so frikking bad that when i was leveling somewhere around level 30,i first had to cast HoTs and then morph and i was able to fight against my own lvl monster,if i didnt cast those hots i would have died most likely.

I remember that! Playing a catform druid in STV was hard in the areas with all of the trolls. I couldn't tell you how many times my character croaked there.

The itemization was piss poor too for druids.

Druids had lots of problems at release. They were definitely not the powerful class they have become these days.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by MurlockDance
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Its not your fault.

I remember that! Playing a catform druid in STV was hard in the areas with all of the trolls. I couldn't tell you how many times my character croaked there.

The itemization was piss poor too for druids.

Druids had lots of problems at release. They were definitely not the powerful class they have become these days.

But in the end there was a huuuuuge reward for druids,but it was possible to collect that reward only at lvl 60.

end game druid gear gave every stat in the game,and thats exacly what druids needed and then they started to shine abit.

if i remember right spirit gave health and mana regen etc,druids needed every stat back then because in battle they had to use whole arsenal they had.

And thats pretty much why tehy sucked 1-59.

Let's internet

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Locking this. The OP has been discussing private servers frequently and that is not permitted here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.