Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Social ? ( poll )

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
How would you rate GW2 on friends, playing, togeather, and grouping ?

Comments

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I picked would like to but cant. Only time i socialized with peaple was in a PUG group for a dungean. I seriously think peaple would be more social if they actually had to group to fight the same mobs.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    How about one that says "the game is anti-social by design".

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I really haven't found a difference in GW2 as with other games. I make friends, though it's not a crazy amount. There should have been an option for more of a middle road on the scale.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    WvW is a very social environment. I've made more friends by doing WvW and got into a great guild too. Anyone who isn't happy with the social aspect of the game and hasn't tried the WvW, I encourage you to give it a try.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    WvW is a very social environment. I've made more friends by doing WvW and got into a great guild too. Anyone who isn't happy with the social aspect of the game and hasn't tried the WvW, I encourage you to give it a try.

This. Also when you try the WvW, take a small amount of time to join a group, instead of following the zerg.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I see this argument popping up a lot around here, but I see it as a personal problem. I also play on the "RP" server and it's probably more social than all the others - so there is that.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

That poll makes no sense at all..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Eluldor

I see this argument popping up a lot around here, but I see it as a personal problem. I also play on the "RP" server and it's probably more social than all the others - so there is that.

Exactly. If you ever needed some kind of tool and/or game features to be social then it's your problem, not the game. Sure the game is designed in a way where you don't need to but it never stopped you either. 10 years ago, most of the games had basic social aspect like a single friend list and that never stopped communities to grow. Get real, its not because the era of social media is here that we need that crap to be social.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

No game played online with people is anti-social by design from a gaming standpoint. You and you alone chose not to be social. Sometimes I wish my zones chat would be less filled with people talking all the time, got to the point I only have guild/team chat showing.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Except it isn't. It has all the tools other games have. Soloing in the world offers pseudo-grouping, which is a step up socially from other MMOs where helping others while soloing is discouraged. Like in EQ2 where you cannot assist someone while they are locked to an encounter.

Honestly my guild is very active and groups up for dungeons, WvW and sPvP.

The problem people are experiencing is that you dont need to be social. Although this is hardly new to GW2, most MMOs post-WoW have taken this path. So all the people who are complaining are having to come to grips with their own anti-social nature. Which I guess is discomforting to them.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by rdrakken

No game played online with people is anti-social by design from a gaming standpoint. You and you alone chose not to be social. Sometimes I wish my zones chat would be less filled with people talking all the time, got to the point I only have guild/team chat showing.

yes,but when about 95% of the population is choosing to be anti social becuase the game allows it..

thats not your fault.

I cant count how many times Ive asked  if people wanted to do a DE or just asking a simple question etc,only to be met with silence.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

I play with small guild which is not terribly active. I myself am kinda lone wolf by nature, so I don't really require socializing that much. But still when I meet new people in wilderness on my walks, it's not a problem to have a chat. Sometimes we stick together for a while to break up when we decide to do different stuff. For me people tend to react much better to simple "hello, how are you, having fun?" than requests like "let's do this DE together, shall we?". After all, if you want to help with DE, you can simply jump in and help without asking :)

As other guys said. Game is not forcing you to be social, but that doesn't mean it's anti-social. Maybe it's bad community on the server, maybe you're just asking wrong questions.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    not this again. How about let's post threads about ACTUAL concerns on the game's future instead of already disproven nonsense? 
  • TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Here we go again. Everybody get your razor blades; It's time to open some old wounds.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    If one needs to be forced to socialize, that is their problem.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    where is the "It sucks, stopped playing" option?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Are we still not done with this? Are people still defining "social interaction" solely as a synonym for "grouping" and "talking"?

Get your dictionaries updated, this is the 21st century. :D

Originally posted by greenreen

[ ... ]

http://typelogic.com/intj.html

[ ... ]

Thanks, green, good read! :)

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

The game is anti-social by design:

Pulling a train of mobs onto someone else has been done before  BUT it used to be that you only were attacked by a train if an AoE attack hit one of the mobs. Not so in GW2, mobs actively stop chasing the other play and jump on standing several meters away not doing anything. NICE!

Tagging an event gets you credit (the difference between failed/success and bronze to gold, is negliable) but increases the difficulty for everyone else, reason bots are such a nuisance because they make events close to it impossibly hard.

Healing is optional for classes that are even capable of it and as usual the more you spec for DPS for solo, the better you do. But of course those same DPS min/maxers expect everyone else to heal them. It as bad as games that allow classes to deviate from their class role... so... you answerd th call for a healer but you totally DPS specced so my warrior self-heal is actually ten times better and you want to heal the entire group???

Most MMO's filter the most anti-social players by the "forced" grouping for dungeons and stopping their progress. But GW2 does not. You can play the entire game as a complete asshole. And so they stay.

GW2 is a fun enough game but it is dredging the bottom of the barrel with its player base. If WoW barren chat spat you out, GW2 is welcoming you with open arms. 

It will be very intresting to see how GW2 will do in the long run. Is the mass market indeed the xbox crowd or is the more mature ex-eq/swg population?

Its business model certainly is friendly to players who don't LOVE the game with its free model but are those who don't turn a MMO into a community those who buy gems?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Since I'm "leader" of my guild, I can't select anything but option 1. I've met plenty of very nice people in this game so far, and I'm looking forward to meet more.

Maybe those who say this game is anti-social aren't trying hard enough... or maybe the problem lies on THEIR side, and not in the game? People are anti-social, not games.

I also noticed during all my years of playing those games that some people just can't seem to be able to make "friends" if they aren't forced to group by game mechanics... like if bashing mobs in a group/raid to get purple loot would be the highest form of human interaction. What you realize sooner or later is that most of those "friends" are just there to use you to get loot, because they need semi-competent players to fill their 25 man raid slots. My best encounters in MMORPGs, which remain real life friends today, happened in games with no forced grouping like UO or Asheron's Call. On the other hand, the biggest amount of greedy and selfish elitistic asshats I have seen was in games with forced grouping/raiding end games.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by greenreen

I know that it's really hard for extroverts to understand but introverts don't need people like you do.

Introverts sometimes spend their day around people and it exhausts them. I can't stand people that come and talk to me at work about their dog or their children. I can't do my work when people won't shut up. This is why I work from home now lol

Playing alone in a game refreshes them.

While instead an extrovert wants to know where the party is and walks in the door, the introverts are bothered that they even HAD to come to this stupid party and waste time being social when they could have been doing something they wanted instead.

Yes, extroverts are the majority.

Stop throwing it in our face, we know you simply can't live without social interaction, we aren't built that way.

This is my personality - INTJ. See if it makes more sense to you after you realize that not all of us are built the same and I don't need even one friend on any social media to feel fine. I don't use facebook or twitter and I didn't have a friends list over about 3 in Guild Wars 2, didn't need it. It didn't define me.

http://typelogic.com/intj.html

When they offer you this test in college, please take it so that you learn that everyone is not a social butterfly.

Thats fine that you don't like being social, but I do find it a bit strange that these people would find refuge in a MMO. The only reason to play a MMO is to be social. Otherwise you are better off playing a solo RPG with a better story or world than can be achieved in a MMO.