Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't you just make SWG (pre cu ) 2 already??

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Onomas

No. From a business standpoint Mario Bros games succeeded, and WOW is a smaller success. SWG, OTOH, is a failure.

Any game to last 8 years is not a failure. 90% of the games today fall within 6 months or go f2p which is a failure.

Why fall within 6 month is a failure? All SP games fall within 6 month but sold millions. MMOs should be judged accordingly.

Why is F2P a failure? LOL is a huge success and it is F2P.

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Pre CU SWG is still the MMo i miss the most
  • Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

It's obvious that a lot of people would want it to happen.

SWG had so many elements that players appreciated and loved.

It's 7 years ( SWG pre cu era ) since it was shut downed and still people talk about how they miss it.

With SWTOR's failure and the upcoming resurrection of SW, it's time to act.

Yeah... It was agreat game, the free form skill system and how the economy was player driven and the fact that you had pure buff proffesions.

Buuuuuut....

The freeform system was utterly unbalanced, the stat system was broken (like the exploit to max your stats to get an armor and the  just re-spec the stats and never take the armor off.) no content was ever developed for the buff proffesions and due to the design of the crafting system it worked a little to good and most servers had a economy dominated by just a few (or in some cases i am sure just one) persons. It was released without proper balance and it never got to that balance (until NGE, but that was a fairly steep price to pay) so in honesty only two kind of people want it back exploiters and people blinded by nostoalgia... oh and the mary come late who actually never played the game but think it is cool to get on the bandwagen ond think they will like it if it came back.

Edit: Space combat was good if a bit on the bugged side.

What is this guide book which says that RPG must be "balanced" and what kind of balance you are talking about ?

Theres lots of role playing gamers in role playing games(imagine that) who dont give a damn,they just play classes that they like.

how thieves was in Dungeon & Dragons,they couldnt do much in combat but they were interesting class for those who wanted to play like thieves.

but i  think you are talking about dmg and not interesting gameplay?

Uhh....Quadruple backstab damage says otherwise.

And, yes, Thief was by far the best class for roleplaying.

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45

Wow, ok. For everybody that's saying "SWG was a great game, but too many bugs", remember, the OP is talking about a REMAKE! So, think of SWG with no bugs and better graphics, don't think of it as exactly as it was.

And for everybody that says SWG was a failure, get a clue, SWTOR was a failure, SWG did not fail.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Meridion

But from a business standpoint, World of Warcraft succeeded while SWG failed. No argueing about that.

M

But from a business standpoint Mario Bros. games succeeded while WoW failed.No argueing about that.

Oh I bet there is lots of arguing about that.  Trying to find a references but I would bet that WoW has sold more units that the entire mario brothers franchise. 

nice so WoW sold about 400 000 000 - 500 000 000 units . not bad.

I cant' find any evidence at all suggesting that mario sold anywhere close to that.  If you have something please post it.

edit - http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2010/0914/Super-Mario-Bros.-has-sold-how-many-copies

Find one source, debate on the credibility, stating 240 million units sold for the entire franchise.  Pretty darn good.  Now we have 30-40 million WoW, how many for warcraft 1 and 2.  Compare game to game or franchise to franchise. 

Super Mario September 13, 1985

275.73 million[n 1]

Mario Kart August 27, 1992 80.08 million[n 2]
    Mario Sports May 1, 1984 35.498 million[n 3]
    Mario Party December 18, 1998 32 million[4][54]
    -
    Warcraft January 15, 1994 19 million[81]
    Warcraft is a fictional universe in which a series of games and books published by Blizzard Entertainment are set. The franchise also includes tabletop games, collectible card games and an upcoming movie. Figure doesn't include World of Warcraft.
    -

Cant find WoW from the list,reasons can be many,they count free accounts,gift accounts ,trials etc.
    Edit: wow is not listed even at atleast 5 millions copies sold product.

Your links seem a bit contradicatory.  They state super mario sold 275 million, but this states 40 million which is the first link you sent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_%28series%29  I can only assume that the 275 then is a franchise total however adding up your numbers doesn't equal 275 either it wuals 169 or 209 if you add 40 million from super mario, where isthe other 66 million coming from

edit and the link from vivendi in 2008 does indeed show 19 million from warcraft, but what about warcraft II and it's 2 sequels, and Warcraft II with it's sequal as well? and of course WoW with about 36 million created.

It's pretty apparent that the mario franchise likely did beat warcrafts franchise but both have sold a ton.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Meridion

But from a business standpoint, World of Warcraft succeeded while SWG failed. No argueing about that.

M

But from a business standpoint Mario Bros. games succeeded while WoW failed.No argueing about that.

Oh I bet there is lots of arguing about that.  Trying to find a references but I would bet that WoW has sold more units that the entire mario brothers franchise. 

nice so WoW sold about 400 000 000 - 500 000 000 units . not bad.

I cant' find any evidence at all suggesting that mario sold anywhere close to that.  If you have something please post it.

edit - http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2010/0914/Super-Mario-Bros.-has-sold-how-many-copies

Find one source, debate on the credibility, stating 240 million units sold for the entire franchise.  Pretty darn good.  Now we have 30-40 million WoW, how many for warcraft 1 and 2.  Compare game to game or franchise to franchise. 

Super Mario September 13, 1985

275.73 million[n 1]

Mario Kart August 27, 1992 80.08 million[n 2]
    Mario Sports May 1, 1984 35.498 million[n 3]
    Mario Party December 18, 1998 32 million[4][54]
    -
    Warcraft January 15, 1994 19 million[81]
    Warcraft is a fictional universe in which a series of games and books published by Blizzard Entertainment are set. The franchise also includes tabletop games, collectible card games and an upcoming movie. Figure doesn't include World of Warcraft.
    -

Cant find WoW from the list,reasons can be many,they count free accounts,gift accounts ,trials etc.
    Edit: wow is not listed even at atleast 5 millions copies sold product.

Your links seem a bit contradicatory.  They state super mario sold 275 million, but this states 40 million which is the first link you sent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_%28series%29  I can only assume that the 275 then is a franchise total however adding up your numbers doesn't equal 275 either it wuals 169 or 209 if you add 40 million from super mario, where isthe other 66 million coming from

Mario July 9, 1981 450.22 million[n 5]
    Mario first appeared in 1981 (in the original Donkey Kong,[11] where he was known as Jumpman), before starring in Mario Bros. and then the Super Mario series of platform games. The character was created by Japanese game designer Shigeru Miyamoto and has since become the official mascot of Nintendo, owner of the trademark. The Mario franchise has expanded into other game genres, including racing, sports, party, puzzle, and RPG. The franchise also includes other media, including three animated television series, comic books, manga, film and other merchandise. It remains the best-selling video game franchise of all time.
    --
    anyways warcraft series are missing couple zeros here,so lets not compare these products by numbers ,those guys who did that might now hate WoW and are buying Mario Brosses.

so,give SWG 2.

Let's internet

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Pretty darn good for Mario.  So Mario has sold more than Warcraft definately.  Now for part 2?  Which is more profitable?

Good digging btw.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Phlacc

Wow, ok. For everybody that's saying "SWG was a great game, but too many bugs", remember, the OP is talking about a REMAKE! So, think of SWG with no bugs and better graphics, don't think of it as exactly as it was.

And for everybody that says SWG was a failure, get a clue, SWTOR was a failure, SWG did not fail.

TOR sold 2M, and kept >1M sub for a while. How many boxes did SWG sell?

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Thats like comparing apples to oranges.

The time between SWG and TOR are way diffeent considering only 30% of people had internet back then compared to 95% today. Also the hype and 200-400 million spent to make TOR was a waste, but SWG did far more for far less. Its like comparing a model T to a 2013 camaro and saying the model T was a failure because it couldnt get past 20 mph. Even though the model T in its prime was a great car.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Why don't you?

Because it never topped 300k subs, most likely.  Remember to think like a corporate bean-counter.

I think a section of this community on this website tries to think like bean counters which in turn, makes me wonder if they even like video games at all, this type of attitude making constant numbers arguements is fairly weak , it is this reasoning gaming in the whole industry is going down the tubes due to copying successes of other games or genres, which has lead to a stagnation to the whole industry starving for fresh new ideas and innovation , reason why Kickstarter has become a major outlet for new games with new ideas are becoming popular cause its the developers get to make games they and gamers want to play , NOT the bean-counters and publishers and wannabes that play games cause certain titles are cool are just cause they have "millions playing" even though the games themselves are mediocore or overrated by bought and paid reviewers and websites to give their rubbish high scores, even though its the same game that has been rehashed several times (Call of Duty) etc.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

It's 7 years ( SWG pre cu era ) since it was shut downed and still people talk about how they miss it.

Well, we don't know how long until TOR agreement runs out and even if some company started on it, it would take 4-5 years to produce (based on development cycles over the last 8 years or so).  And the original couldn't even reach the popularity level of their other product at the time EQ.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Just go check out one of the EMUs and get over your itch for the game.  There are some out there that are doing a really good job of replicating the old game.  Heck I play them for fun.  I loved SWG, but I wouldn't want an SWG II.  Just like someone else mentioned, it would be like Planetside 2 vs. PS1.  I've played both and can say that the old version was better and I loved it, but the new version doesn't measure up.

Bottom line is you really only have a few hundred people who would play SWG(pre-CU) Part Duex.  There's just no way to measure up to the old expectations and the new hype.

Heck, I'm going to go start up the old EMU and kill a couple durni's just for fun...

Still don't want a new version....

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Here's a scenario which could plausibly happen, which may in fact bring a SWG2-esque game to a reality.

EQNext actually turns out to be a sandboxy game and it is awesome.  If it does for the genre what EQ1 did.......

then LucasArts/Disney sees that success, and does a double take at TOR, with a dismissive eyeroll.....

Voila - we are 5 years away from SWG2.

Granted. There are a lot of IF's for that to happen.

But, imho, it seems more likely with a AAA sandbox otw than it did up to this point.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Disney is all over Star Wars now. I wouldn't expect a new mmo for it until some movies are out and the new story line is firmly in place. Even then I wouldn't expect Disney to give up even an ounce of creative rights and would make an mmo in house. I still see other types of games coming out long before an mmo and consoles to be the main target over pc.

You stay sassy!

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Thats like comparing apples to oranges.

The time between SWG and TOR are way diffeent considering only 30% of people had internet back then compared to 95% today. Also the hype and 200-400 million spent to make TOR was a waste, but SWG did far more for far less. Its like comparing a model T to a 2013 camaro and saying the model T was a failure because it couldnt get past 20 mph. Even though the model T in its prime was a great car.

To offer a couple bits of clarification: SOE announced that SWG had sold over 1 mil units, a short time after the JTL expansion was released, that being original box plus expansion, so it sold at least that many, and certainly a few more than just that.

Raph Koster stated several times that SWG was "very cheap" to make. Additionally, the number "around $30 mil" was mentioned, not sure if it was by him.

So, that makes it about 1/8-1/10 the price of TOR.

Ironically, when the NGE hit, SWG had 180k-200k paying accts, generating around $3 mil per month (and the numbers had been higher for the life of SWG prior to that). So, about 10% or so of the production cost per month on a continuing basis (which is very good for the MMO industry)

If you scaled TOR up to generating that same return, it would be 2 mil subs a month, which TOR never really had, and certainly did not maintain even if they ever had that many "paying subs" which I do not think happened.

So, on a longer term financial basis, SWG did much, much better for the amount spent on making it.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    While I want what once existed, I know I will never play it again. It's the reality we have with the stupidity of current Developers.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I would like to see this happen.  But releasing SWG 2 doesn't mean it has to be an *exact* duplicate of SWG.  Obviously they would need to update what was broken and re-imagine what the sandbox elements would look like/interact given today's technology and features.

• ErythrocyteErythrocyte Member Posts: 103
    It would be nice to see SWTOR just add a number of open-world and sandbox elements that SWG had.  It's Star Wars (from a different part of it's timeline) and its polished, adding more and more non-themepark elements would improve it's playerbase I would think.  If you look at WoW, you have the gear-grind, but you also have a large number of player's leveling-up trivial things like cooking and fishing.  SWTOR could learn from SWG in areas such as these while maintaining it's generally polished game play.  I realize this probably isn't in the cards for Bioware, I just can't help thinking a great single player game is there with SWTOR, now it just needs alot more MMO elements which can be continually added.
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Who you talking to? Lucas? SOE? Disney? The forum trollers? The lampost? Who are you demanding to make this epic SW game? 

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Pyuk

Who you talking to? Lucas? SOE? Disney? The forum trollers? The lampost? Who are you demanding to make this epic SW game? 

I'm talking to the entire universe.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Erythrocyte
    It would be nice to see SWTOR just add a number of open-world and sandbox elements that SWG had.  It's Star Wars (from a different part of it's timeline) and its polished, adding more and more non-themepark elements would improve it's playerbase I would think.  If you look at WoW, you have the gear-grind, but you also have a large number of player's leveling-up trivial things like cooking and fishing.  SWTOR could learn from SWG in areas such as these while maintaining it's generally polished game play.  I realize this probably isn't in the cards for Bioware, I just can't help thinking a great single player game is there with SWTOR, now it just needs alot more MMO elements which can be continually added.

Part of SWG's charm was that things like cooking and fishing were NOT trivial. SWTOR already has a crafting system. I understand where you're going with your idea, but just sprinkling some "SWG" sugar over the "SWTOR" jello mold won't make a SWG 2.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I doubt we'll ever see a SWG2, or another Star Wars game after SWTOR closes shop..  IMO.. Too many dev teams were just plain crazy lazy designing a true star wars theme.. I guess they thought the IP would sell itself, which they initially did.. SWG should of had a minimum of 30 planets to travel to.. I wish a star wars game had bounty hunters that actually hunted, and smugglers that actually smuggled.. I didn't mind the jedi classes in SWTOR, but I wish they avoided the holy trinity format and did something like GW2 did with self heals..  Crafting in SWG was far better then SWTOR, and I love a true player economy.. Player made items should be the best products, however I would still allow for low quality vendor items to keep the economy from inflating out of hand..

As with SWG, I would have 99% of the content be open world, not instanced..  I would avoid linear progression and storylines at all cost.. I want characters that play out and create their biography, not relive one made up by a person in a cubicle..

• darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111

SWG2 (pre-cu)

NO

Now if they do combine NGE with pre-cu then yes...maybe. I mean even the hardcore pre-cu playes have to admit...there were some horrible things wrong with the pre-cu 

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Yes please!!

I'd pay whatever they want to play this

• gnarledwolfgnarledwolf Member Posts: 1

You've hit the nail on the head and said what I wanted to to start with.  SWG's failure was also player greed.  When SOE took degeneration of equipment and Battle Fatigue out of the game they took away a massive basis for the economy which was what drew me to the game in the first place.

I always played a crafter and the way the game was set up, it made it worth all the effort to go out, forage for materials... only the best, grind my way up through the skills, and make equipment like it was a job.  I loved logging in to find several bills of sale since I last logged out and it made me want to go out and create more, and better, and varied types of things.  When SOE took away a need for me to do that, they also took away a real need for my profession, and the doctors, and the entertainers... though at least they redeemed the need for the entertainers by the end.  They also took away a need for players to need money other than to pay for trinkets for their homes.... or billions on paintings and statues.  When the economy went, so did a lot of the purpose for the game.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd love to see the game revamped, only it doesn't have to be "Star Wars"   I'd love to see SWG 2 out there with better graphics, a new mythos... my God there's tons to choose from or make.  I've played SWGEMU and loved to see the old system again, but it also reminded me that the later years weren't as bad as players made them out to be because of the endless quests in game, which PRE-NGE didn't have many of.

Like many, I enjoyed going out and blasting the hell out of my enimies, solo or in teams: MY CHOICE on this... no forced teaming or PVP.  But I absolutely hate the grind today in mmorpg's where it's just go out and kill... go out and kill... I want a home to decorate how I will, things to craft and be creative about, an environment where you you are not DRAGGED AROUND BY THE NOSE saying this has to be done, then this, as endlessly as the thousands who came before.  SWG was about versitility.  If they can avoid everyone and their grandmother being jedi... personally, I loved it when they were rare and a real honor to achieve, I'd very much love to see SWG back in a new form.  Today... all the games are pretty much the same... and I'm very bored in a short time.