Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone want a Samurai MMORPG?

I've seen so many chinese MMORPGs set in China, so many Fantasy MMORPGs, so many Medieval MMORPGs, but none that is set in Japan. I feel like there will be a huge opportunity for it. Such as the rule to become the Daimyo, the power struggle between Shoguns, the all out 10000vs10000 Samurai PvP, diplomatic struggle, all that. Total war Shogun 2 isn't exactly an MMORPG, but it has so much stuff and heartpounding content, I want to be a Samurai, travelling Japan, engaging in wars, all that. :) Anyone else with me? And if a developer reads this, I WILL PAY FOR THIS GAME. I will throw money at my screen if I ever see this.

Comments

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    I would like one.  There wouldn't be any battle between rival Shoguns as there is only supposed to be one Shogun.  But that aside, battle between rival Daimyos over who becomes Shogun, so set in the timeframe of the warring states period. 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Age of  Wushu? Pretty close

I'm in the beta and loving it

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• joonkp1976joonkp1976 Member Posts: 93
    Samurai Shodown Clash...  only samurai franchise that succeeded greatly in North America and Europe I belive...  Samurai Shodown just rules...  'Happy' gaming, folks~!
  • gene548gene548 Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by FromHell

Age of  Wushu? Pretty close

I'm in the beta and loving it

I saw a gameplay clip of it and the combat seemed extremely clunky.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

yeah i miss mine from FFXI so bad  :(

a taru doing tachi:gekko is awesome :3

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by gene548
    I've seen so many chinese MMORPGs set in China, so many Fantasy MMORPGs, so many Medieval MMORPGs, but none that is set in Japan. I feel like there will be a huge opportunity for it. Such as the rule to become the Daimyo, the power struggle between Shoguns, the all out 10000vs10000 Samurai PvP, diplomatic struggle, all that. Total war Shogun 2 isn't exactly an MMORPG, but it has so much stuff and heartpounding content, I want to be a Samurai, travelling Japan, engaging in wars, all that. :) Anyone else with me? And if a developer reads this, I WILL PAY FOR THIS GAME. I will throw money at my screen if I ever see this.

Actually Koei made one a long time ago based on their Nobunaga's Ambition series.

So yeah, not really virgin territory (only relatively virgin in US and Euro)

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Actually Koei made one a long time ago based on their Nobunaga's Ambition series.

But no new MMORPG?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

But no new MMORPG?

If you can make one that will fit western market it might work anyways since there is no western one on Japanese Warring States period :)

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    This is the style of game that should be Sandbox, and PVP oriented. Don't get me wrong i like Themeparks and am not a Sandbox fanboy. however things like the Three Kingdoms period and the Warring States period would make a excellent Openworld pvp concept. Make the battles matter, give some form of advantage to each State, make a limited number of Armies. you don't even really need to make it a specific time period. Maybe even allow players to be the leaders. its just that there is too much possiblity when it comes to these styles of games.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

Played FFXI as Samurai - Check

Speaks a bit japanese - Check

Samurai Tattoo on his body - Check

Gief samurai mmo please - Not check

Any1?

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Check out this e-how link on the schools of practice for samuria:

http://www.ehow.com/list_5978856_eight-sword-fighting-styles-samurai.html

I see awesome custom classing and loadouta, with 1v1 duals, 5v5-25v25 pvp scenarios, and realm vs. realm in all this.

you could entertain yourself around a villiage with warriro down time practices, like poetry, caligraphy and such, and taining sessions, maybe have a duel or two, then the head of the house you work for shouts it out that you've allied yourself with with one of the local diamyo's and are headed off to battle...like NOW! quick travle to an instanced battle field and...good times.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Good historical accuracy wouldn't be any fun for gamers.

Botch to make it more appealing for teens and anime fans would irritate me, personally.

So no, not really.  It's not Real Ultimate Power.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    This is the style of game that should be Sandbox, and PVP oriented. Don't get me wrong i like Themeparks and am not a Sandbox fanboy. however things like the Three Kingdoms period and the Warring States period would make a excellent Openworld pvp concept. Make the battles matter, give some form of advantage to each State, make a limited number of Armies. you don't even really need to make it a specific time period. Maybe even allow players to be the leaders. its just that there is too much possiblity when it comes to these styles of games.

I could see both types of games here really. And there are more than a few periods in Japanese history that would make an interesting MMO. 

I think however that a Samurai MMO do need some specific mechanics, focus on melee combat as example would need a specific combat mechanics instead of the usual trinity combat.

I could see myself play either a themepark or sandbox as long as it is well done here. Just slapping Wow or UOs mechanics on the classic "Shogun" IP would not work.

Originally posted by Rayshe

But not too many people produce good games with that kinda thing

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    You can't do a proper Samurai mmorpg. Because mmorpg's are based on player interaction and engaging action. When Samurai were prevelant, they would wander the land and cities, and act as the Emperor's personal police force.
    Originally posted by Helleri

Check out this e-how link on the schools of practice for samuria:

http://www.ehow.com/list_5978856_eight-sword-fighting-styles-samurai.html

I see awesome custom classing and loadouta, with 1v1 duals, 5v5-25v25 pvp scenarios, and realm vs. realm in all this.

you could entertain yourself around a villiage with warriro down time practices, like poetry, caligraphy and such, and taining sessions, maybe have a duel or two, then the head of the house you work for shouts it out that you've allied yourself with with one of the local diamyo's and are headed off to battle...like NOW! quick travle to an instanced battle field and...good times.

You have the right path going on :D now go tell a developer to take your idea and make it into a reality :p

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I guess it would really depend on which viewpoint you look at it from. Ronin or Samurai, Ronin would be a easier style of Themepark Move from city to city doing what they need done and so forth. Where as a Employed Samurai would work best with the sandbox idea. I donno i think either getting the people from Bushido Blade for duels or Get people from Way of the Samurai for the Mob Battles.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Nope.  Too limited in scope.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

No

/10nihonto

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    I agree, but "so many medievil mmos?" there aren't actually ANY mmo's with guenine historic  medieval theme such as mount and blade, they are all just fantasy bullshit with monsters etc.

My blog: image

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Nope.  Too limited in scope.

If you really think this you must know very little about the warring states period and Samurai in general.  Limited?  umm not hardly, lol  There could be depth unlike any other game out.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Don't have anything against creation of such mmorpg, but I am not especially interested in one also.
  • sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

Realistic medieval games such as British, Greek or Japanese are too boring for me. I would only play them if they used their famous mythology/writer in the game. I don't care if I'm trojans fighting spartans, or a templar, or a samurai. The things I want in games are a famous writer's (f.ex. Tolkien) fantasy in a game. Or all of their myths actually living; being real in the game.

But a Samurai class would be awesome in any of the current popular mmorpgs.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    It would need a bit of thought to make such game to not be just a japanese mmo which only class is "warrior" and the only weapon is a katana/no-dachi

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence