Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW! This game is a complete disapointment.

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    WOW!    you didn't do any research on this game before you tried it.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by Betaguy I agree much better mmofps out there.
    Well aside of PS1 and WWII there is no other mmofps out there.    If you're referring to BF3, CoD, Halo, etc  then those are just FPS or more specifically multiplayer FPS.  

multiplayer is not same as mmo.

I gave up on him...Betaguy dosen't want to understand, and he is good at it.

Well, there's Firefall.  Maybe doesn't count because its still in beta, but I found it to be much more impressive than PS2.

Oh, and Dust514, too.. although I haven't played that one myself, yet, so no idea how it compares.

Actually, I found Dust 514 and PS2 eerily similar.  PS2 comes out on top with slightly better graphics, but the gameplay and setting are practically the same.  Both games suck.  Looking forward to Firefall as well.

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

So basically to sum up PS2 its just flipping territory and thats it.

I played for about 3 hours and I'm really disapointed I was really hoping for a great game.

* Map is much much smaller than I expected. I expected it to be a world .

* No safe zones , I didnt do much research on this game but when I think mmorpg I think cities , safe zones and auction houses.

* Nothing player built.

This is the first time I support a FTP game, I dont like FTP but Im really glad I was able to try this game out before I wasted money on it.

Between SWTOR , Tera , WOW getting Lazy , Diablo 3 sucking and now this PS2 crapfest , in my opinion video games as a whole are really starting to suck lately.

Then may I suggest that you take a step back and look at the differences in each game and factors involved. What SWTOR, tera, wow all have in common is that theyre basically MMORPGs who follow the classic style in systems and content. An MMORPG player may not like D3 because theyre a different genre, same reason why D2 players would dislike D3 because of its different approach towards online systems (a step towards an MMORPG, yet still very different). 

Planetside 2 is an FPS at heart with strong emphasis on the MMO. A different mechanic and gameplay, i.e. people who enjoy WoW tab target macro combat may dislike FPS combat. A counter stikre player may find PS2 more attractive than MMORPGs, even more if he already disliked them. Maybe you prefer certain game types over others? Different games and genre, you cant compare them.

I dont play PS2, nor do I judge a game before fully testing it. From my limited beta impressions is that you should be part of a larger group to fully grasp and enjoy that experience. Playing solo sucks even more so in PS2 than in WoW, since most of the fights take place in group/ larger orientated scenarios. You cant do solo dailies such as in a typical MMORPG, and you cant be safe in a city from player attacks like you can in a pve Stormwind. Now do you still want to call PS2 a complete disaster? And from what point of view.

You would be much better off from here on to have an open mind when trying out new games as theres lots to discover, and it takes time to explore and master it. Should you pick up PS2 again I would suggest watching the official Basic Traning guides on youtube, theyre quite informative.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

For a F2P game its decent, i wouldnt sub or put money on the membership aspect of the game i just dont see the benefit, just too many game mechanics i dislike or maybe arent perfected yet. But its what I expected and can be a lot of fun, but at the same time can be frustration and unbearable in situations such as beign camped by enemy...or your own side, the distance travelled when your stuck on foot from one spot to another (I had to LOL at the small map comment, really? for an FPS its massive).

The most ive seen on screen would probably be around 4-500 in one spot, was fairly epic.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I played for about 3 hours and I'm really disapointed I was really hoping for a great game.

* No safe zones , I didnt do much research on this game but when I think mmorpg I think cities , safe zones and auction houses.

* Nothing player built.

This is the first time I support a FTP game, I dont like FTP but Im really glad I was able to try this game out before I wasted money on it.

Between SWTOR , Tera , WOW getting Lazy , Diablo 3 sucking and now this PS2 crapfest , in my opinion video games as a whole are really starting to suck lately.

Sounds like you had absolutely no clue what this game was going into it.

It's more an MMO than most of the titles released in the last 8 years. And player owned stuff is going into the future.

Judging from your post, you're used to just swallowing whatever devs give you and do the same kill 10 rats quest all day and call it "content". This is a game that gives back what you put in. If all you want to do is flip bases, then don't blame the game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    See firefall doesn't interest me as it only has instanced tupperware pvp
    People saying maps aren't as big as they thought probably played the first.

That was bigger.
  • DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

To each their own.

Personally: I love this game.  I loved planetside 1 and while I think PS2 could use some more things from PS1, I still enjoy it thoroughly.

Just be happy you didn't have to put any of your own money into the game before you decided you didn't like it.

----

And bigger maps?  lol....

Most of the map goes unplayed until action happens.  Why do we need more space to not have any action happen?

Name a FPS with bigger maps than planetside.  Besides planetside 1.

----------

This game isn't a MMORPG, there are no dungeons, loot drops.  It is basically your Call of Duty/Battlefield 3 in a persistent 24 hour world with goals beyond just kill the enemy.

Personally, you pay 65+ dollars for CoD or BF3 plus 100+ dollars that they milik out of you throughout the year for DLC.

How is this not better than that? it is FREE.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    People saying maps aren't as big as they thought probably played the first.

That was bigger.

Or they didn't realize that there are 3 continents.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

* Nothing player built.

Its an overglorified FPS games with bigger maps than most other FPS games and higher number of player.

What did you even expect a bigger world or a gmore grand game? It should have been obvious from the start how tiny PS2's world is and how limited the scope of gameplay is compared to an MMORPG. Its a shooter.

PS2 "continent" maps are barely 4 and rather 3 times the size of a generic zoned mmo map except there are only 3 of them in total while most zoned MMOs have dozen of them.

Plus the map design claim anyone what he wants is extremely repetitive and boring. Its like 3 basic themes over and over again all over the map. Spiked with the ever same few "base" buidlings every mile and only rarely some unique features.

Plus the world feels even smaller since the points of interests are all of the same kind. That of an FPS. You dont visit the castle or a groove to battle a dragon and find a hidden chest and resque a little girl from a bear. At best you will shoot at the same people as 10 minutes before.

Plus the world feels even smaller since in general your interaction with the world is very limited, much lower than in even most generic MMOs. Leave alone interation of a sandbox style game.

In the end its just a map for a shooter.

That's quite a typical "I haven't tried it so I have no idea what I'm talking about" response. Waste of typing.

I have played it for a day now, and i agree with him. Just a glorified shooter. People need to stop trying to make things out better than they are. Im happy its just a shooter, but tired of people saying its the new best thing and its so superior than anything else. Its not, played game like this years ago. BF3, COD, and other shooters could make a persistant world also, its the same thing. Doesnt change, doesnt evolve, no alien life forms, just the basics.

Haven't played PS2 myself yet but I'm paying attention to threads like this to build an opinion on it. I haven't played much of the battlefield games (a bit a couple of years ago), but from the sounds of it it's Counterstrike Source (which I have played a LOT) with bigger maps and vehicles. That about right?

Where's the any key?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

So, I've been playing PS2 all evening.

Basically, it's just battlefield with bigger maps and more upgrades. Which isn't so bad because, for me, B3 was a disappointment.

The payment model is very good. It's a good example of how to do FTP properly. Everything that gives tactical or situational advantages can be earned through playing. Paying will get you them faster.. but you can still get them without paying using normal gameplay.

But if you want that in depth experience and the dedicated and loyal feeling you can get from other MMOs then you'll be disappointed. It really is just what CoD and Battlefield does, just with more people. Since it's a truely free option though, you should be grateful there is something that can support more simultaneous players than other shooters at no cost to you.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

there 3 continents and all 3 have atleat the size of 100 battlefield  maps,  it will take you about a hour to Walk/run from home SAVEZONE  warpgate to the enermy warpgate.

its a FPS  not a RPG, you can expect rank tittle's  and weapon mods. tanks and planes and thats it.  and thats all it should be.

Not sure how they are going to battle ageing of the game but untill then this game will be quite populair. 

edit: tho im quite disapoined at that quadtriple prizes compared to beta and only 1/4th xp for evryting.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    I agree much better mmofps out there.

Like?

Still waiting.

And since better is subjective, a better MMOFPS to me would still have non-instanced 3 faction PvP, bigger maps, more class customization, and more overall systems. So find me a better one then.

Davis
    Planetside 1 had 10 continents

To be fair though Sony are talking of adding a continent where you mine stuff to build your own bases which sounds hellacool.

1 thing I think the game needs is outfit ranks / rewards / xp. To give people more of a reason to join or form outfits.

A nice tutorial / noob mode vs ai would bw good too, to teach players how to get vehicles, how to hack a base etc..
  • LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Acvivm

I've been playing the hell of out this game, I really didn't expect to like it anywhere as much as I do. It plays a lot like BF3 and I never could really play that game for long periods of time before getting bored. With PS2 I think the big difference to me is the size of the maps and large avenues of approach that are possible when taking objectives, something that I hated with BF3 since most the maps were just funnels with very little room to improvise.

I spent about 3 hours last night playing with a dedicated squad and a few random outfits numbering in the hundreds taking just one biolab and then defending it. I haven't had this much fun with a FPS in a long time, while I agree the idea of taking objective after objective without end can get tedious just the sheer amount of epicness of rolling with dozens of vehicles full to the brim with troops and assaulting fortified bases has blown me away.

Amen Brother!!

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

* Nothing player built.

Its an overglorified FPS games with bigger maps than most other FPS games and higher number of player.

What did you even expect a bigger world or a gmore grand game? It should have been obvious from the start how tiny PS2's world is and how limited the scope of gameplay is compared to an MMORPG. Its a shooter.

PS2 "continent" maps are barely 4 and rather 3 times the size of a generic zoned mmo map except there are only 3 of them in total while most zoned MMOs have dozen of them.

Plus the map design claim anyone what he wants is extremely repetitive and boring. Its like 3 basic themes over and over again all over the map. Spiked with the ever same few "base" buidlings every mile and only rarely some unique features.

Plus the world feels even smaller since the points of interests are all of the same kind. That of an FPS. You dont visit the castle or a groove to battle a dragon and find a hidden chest and resque a little girl from a bear. At best you will shoot at the same people as 10 minutes before.

Plus the world feels even smaller since in general your interaction with the world is very limited, much lower than in even most generic MMOs. Leave alone interation of a sandbox style game.

In the end its just a map for a shooter.

That's quite a typical "I haven't tried it so I have no idea what I'm talking about" response. Waste of typing.

I have played it for a day now, and i agree with him. Just a glorified shooter. People need to stop trying to make things out better than they are. Im happy its just a shooter, but tired of people saying its the new best thing and its so superior than anything else. Its not, played game like this years ago. BF3, COD, and other shooters could make a persistant world also, its the same thing. Doesnt change, doesnt evolve, no alien life forms, just the basics.

Haven't played PS2 myself yet but I'm paying attention to threads like this to build an opinion on it. I haven't played much of the battlefield games (a bit a couple of years ago), but from the sounds of it it's Counterstrike Source (which I have played a LOT) with bigger maps and vehicles. That about right?

Get PS2, its a decent shooter. Pretty much you spawn shoot, kill, die, respawn just like any other shooter. CS, COD, BF, a shooter is a shooter. Good luck, its not bad just takes awhile to get certs even being active. Sometimes you can get into a massive fight and earn fast, sometimes its slow and takes awhile to find a good fight. Still learning myself, but i do recommend this game, even if i speak out its not a mmo ;)

It is a mmo.

It's a massively multiplayer online game that takes place within a fully persistent world.

In fact its more of a mmo than several so called "mmorpgs" where all end game consists of is sitting in a city (lobby) waiting to visit instances.
  • thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49

Smal maps? Try to run across. It'd take you an hour.

It's an mmofps. Not a mmorpg. I don't know of a more massive multi-player game. 

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by Betaguy I agree much better mmofps out there.
    Well aside of PS1 and WWII there is no other mmofps out there.    If you're referring to BF3, CoD, Halo, etc  then those are just FPS or more specifically multiplayer FPS.  

multiplayer is not same as mmo.

I gave up on him...Betaguy dosen't want to understand, and he is good at it.

Well, there's Firefall.  Maybe doesn't count because its still in beta, but I found it to be much more impressive than PS2.

Oh, and Dust514, too.. although I haven't played that one myself, yet, so no idea how it compares.

also Defiance.

i completely sympathize with the complaints you posted about PS2 in several threads.  i've been saying that whenever people point me at the PS series as MMOFPS games i'm supposed to be interested in.

i'm not interested in them in the slightest.  while they technically are an MMOFPS, its just a gigantic arena.  not a world at all.

like you, i wasn't expecting PVE or anything else.... i just expected an immersive world backdrop for the FPS carnage.  instead i got the some of the bad parts of MMOs (even grinding), long travel times (so awesome when mixed with nearly instantaneous deaths, so a huge chunk of your time can be simply travelling to battles), + many of the other bad parts of modern FPS games and nothing of what i look for in either.    just gigantic randomish arenas.  at least all the stuff i saw in PS1 looked very random/generated, leaving me with no desire to explore the world.   looks like they at least improved the gigantic arena design a bit for PS2.

devs:  when you make an MMOFPS, the idea is supposed to be..

mix the GOOD parts of an FPS with the GOOD parts of an MMO.

not the BAD parts of each.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Planetside 2 is very much an MMO and it's extremely fun to play. Even though I'm located thousands of kilometers away from the server (I live in Brazil) and battles contain extremely high amounts of players, lag has not been an issue and I have been getting my fair share of kills. What's even better is that it's accessible in every facet. Overall, I very much appreciate SOE's new stance towards MMO's and now I am greatly looking forward to playing Everquest Next.

You should give this game a try if you are a fan of the FPS genre and enjoy playing games like Battlefield.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The biggest issue I have with this game is the lack of a lockdown system.  Once a facility is taken, it can immediately be retaken by the enemy.  This leads to very little movement over the map, it also makes the game feel even more repeticious than it already is.  There is no sense of ownership without lockouts and the rewards for taking over an entire map don't offset the endless flip flop nature of the current game structure.   Even in beta, when this issue was brought up by players and first hand example, people would concentrate in certain areas and never leave them.  It became an endless tug of war and the most efficient way to farm certifications.  One of the largest and most popular was and is The Crown.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Dkompoze
    I think OP thought he was gonna run around as an elf and shoot people while skinning trolls and making pajamas from thier skin.

yep. It's funny that there are still people who hear "MMO" and expect a dice rolling wowclone themepark, as if we wouldn't have enough of that gameplay already.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The game is a lot of fun. I'm up 2 hours after a had planned to go to sleep because it's addictive.

Shame about the bugs though. So far today I have fallen through the world 4 times, had the world disappear around me multiple times then flicker on and off again for awhile, locked up on loading screens, the occasional full crash mid game.

Sadly, these can be game breaking. Hope they get em fixed soon.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I played Planetside 1 and never thought of it as some kind of sandbox war simulator.. It's not really indepth in the life sim area because it's unrealisticly war all the time.. No peace time, no truces.. No places to play a game of poker or harvest crops.. No potions to craft or useless items to salvage.. It's just brute forcing your way through the map from base to base.

Can it get boring? Yes.. Yes it can especially after you spend 4 hours trying to take a base just to have it taken back when you log in again.. That was one of the major gripes I had about PS1 and PS2 beta.. There is little to no effects of losing and gaining ground..

Territory loss and gain should be a pretty serious thing. I think if territory is defended succesfully for more than 24 hours (under one factions control without being flipped once), that it should be land locked for a period of time and the only way to unlock it is to capture the territories connected to it first (which can also get land locked after a while)..

Not only would this make battles more epic and meaningful, it would also encourage heavy defense and once a hex becomes land locked the "front line" can push forward instead of immediately getting flipped because no one finds it important enough to defend once capturing..

It's just cap and run.. Cap and run.. Over and over.. Then you have the smaller "clans" of friends that get in galaxies and just take over whole areas "behind enemy lines".. I mean I understand 'covert' ops, but they are on a smaller scale that help the overall picture.. Never have I seen a small 6 man team conquer whole lands before..

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

I'm sorry you are disappointed, but the game is very clear on what it is. I don't know why you would expect otherwise, and why you would expect the things you list. With 5 min research you would know this, it's hardly the games fault.

I don't play for example wow and expect anything else than hotkey combat. Why wouldI? God why do people make these threads without actually doing any research what so ever.