Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed and Payments SOE

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by binkus
    Originally posted by LizardEgypt
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

to others: 

My complaints 

I paid for Alpha squad

I paid for membership 

have the cash, will play the game - 

I am complaining that i cannot switch server with my character: if:

server goes down

server population is massive

server population is 100 vs 2

my buddies are on a different server

f2p is a joke for the guys who want to play f2p

my main complaint is that the billing department despite flaws do not recognise this and will not unlock or refund 700 SC as a goodwill gesture so as a company i am customer of 6+ years for them to say no to $7 which they will get back anyway! because it is in SC!! refund to my account

would not recommend this game to anyone if they want to put money in

I see where you are getting at and maybe some day soon SOE will add transfer , paid of course.

Keep in mind the game just launched , and about the greed thing , I played all the mmos SOE every released since 1998 EQ beta, and not once has SOE ever steered me wrong. I did a mistake in EQ2 cash shop and they refunded me no problem, Hell just recently I got a refund for a item I bought by mistake in PS2 , but I reported it fast and my issue was satisfied completely.

Anyone who enjoys mmos and FPS would really like this game ,it is fun and addictive , give it a shot !

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

For those people who quote free to play

the queue is 500+ people unless you have premium membership, which is in addition to any other purchases you might have and a recurring monthly payment.

you might aswell go wash the car or do the dishes

free to play is a joke, you will queue for an hour, when you have queued for an hour it will then boot you for being innactive if you did not move the mouse every 5 minutes

scoffs* at f2p .. you want to play this game...you ....will....pay

those who think it is server bound - you log in account create character on server - you cannot change that server - if you unlock a helmet at $5 it is locked to that character not on the servers you might want to play with your buddies on

they are turning the games industries into a competition for rapid cash grabs and not about the games themselves

lets hope your server never goes down otherwise you might have to play another character sadly illequiped

Hour queue on release day? That's not a F2P specific thing. Welcome to what's obviously your first MMO release.

Regarding your other complaints, which you attribute to SOE's greed and the F2P game model, which subscription MMOs let you transfer characters and gear between servers for free? There's one that recently offered something like that (Tera?) but it is definitely not the norm. If you want to play on the servers your buddy is on you usually have to pony up some cash to do it, often to the tune of 20-25 USD.

I'm not seeing what your rage is all about or how anything you presented is a 'rapid cash grab'.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

All I can say is that people are finely getting it that the "free" part of "Free to play" is not what is hyped up to be. NO GAME, that bills itself as FREE is actually that. Now, if you wish to play any game for free you will have to do it THEIR WAY. That means they are going to try to recoupe what it costs to make the game, run the game and any other expenses. If you think that because you just don't want to pay that you should be given everything for nothing....then you have a problem.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• binkusbinkus Member Posts: 57

well everyone thanks for the posts

heed the warning or not, might pop back in a year or two

unless they change they will crash and burn

been right before might be right again who knows

nerf scissors! rock is fine...
    yours paper

• Originally posted by binkus

i was so pant wettingly excited by Planetside 2

after over 6 years of custom from myself the shambles of their billing account based payments for the recent planetside 2

SOE and I are parting ways

there is a movement from players about the billing and the payment methods and unlocks that makes this game a complete cash grab

i find it offensive to have contributed to it, however i will no longer be a customer of Sony because of this

if you play the game and put cash in you will know what i mean

note to those who try 

never try and change server! you pick for good if you invest cash you want to use again

OH NO! a company wants you to pay money to use it's product. blasphemy

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

after over 6 years of custom from myself the shambles of their billing account based payments for the recent planetside 2

there is a movement from players about the billing and the payment methods and unlocks that makes this game a complete cash grab

i find it offensive to have contributed to it, however i will no longer be a customer of Sony because of this

note to those who try 

never try and change server! you pick for good if you invest cash you want to use again

this is a joke ..right? they give you a game at no cost where other companies charge you full price and you complain about greed.there is only one person being greedy and expecting everything for nothing here.you may want to remember it cost companies a lot of money to develop games and they do have to recoup their money somehow.i,m no great fan of soe but this really takes the piss tbh.you should find yourself lucky like most that they didnt charge you in advance for the game..now you can leave the game knowing you have'nt spent a penny on it.

• SutexSutex Member UncommonPosts: 150

It is one of the best F2P games i have ever played. Sure there was a que when i tried to log in last night, i waited a whole 2 mins. The game is running smooth for me and there are no forced things to buy.

I do wish I gained cert points a little faster.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

my main complaint is that the billing department despite flaws do not recognise this and will not unlock or refund 700 SC as a goodwill gesture so as a company i am customer of 6+ years for them to say no to $7 which they will get back anyway! because it is in SC!! refund to my account

would not recommend this game to anyone if they want to put money in

So you are complaining about $7.

dollars.

Which you will make back anyway.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Greed? You know nothing of greed if you think SOE's greedy with PS2, you should try SWTOR. Everything in PS2 game is obtainable ingame without cash, although many are expensive on certs (1000 certs for many weapons).

In SWTOR at level 50 it's almost unplayble without the extra quickbars and you need to pay to unlock the title, hide helmet slot, access your own bank and guild bank, expand your inventory and only capped to 350K credits.

... greed.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

note to those who try 

Its because of messages like this why SOE has a no refund policy.... Glad you have awoken.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

For those people who quote free to play

the queue is 500+ people unless you have premium membership, which is in addition to any other purchases you might have and a recurring monthly payment.

Server queues?

I've logged in supposedly one of the very high/full servers last night and there wasn't one. Crashed several times due to a OS setting on my end, but still never had to wait logging back in. image

Originally posted by jonesing22

note to those who try 

OH NO! a company wants you to pay money to use it's product. blasphemy

That's not what it's about.. It's an illusion to force the payment...

A. Take a crap game...

B. Remove all power from game and make it pay to unlock power

C. Launch Hype Campaign

This forces players into wanting to enjoy themselves, then they quickly learn.. to enjoy themselves they must bang their heads against their keyboards for weeks and months to get a few unlocks, or pay

Then they pay and realize what A was (A crap game) and are stuck with nothing but a bad feeling. Its their bad feeling, so they have a right to whine that they don't like this concept.

Planetside 2 was an okay game in early beta which changed by horrible develpoers who really just grew tired of the failures they were involved in. You can go back and watch me talki on their forums, at first a fan boy making incredible strategic guides and tactical group leader in a huge guild to quitting the guild and drastically slamming them to the curb for the choices they made which turned the game into a complete piece of trash. One day I was streaming this game 16 hours a day to the internet, just week or so later, I was messaging their twitter system how to get a refund for alpha squad because they have massively altereted the game and lost total vision of what they were creating. 

It's nothing but a quick money grab off old IP, companies continue to rinse and repeat, and they dont care about the gamer, so it's time we quit caring about the companies behind them.

And when you contradict this message, just remember, PS2 was heavily promoted EARLY as NON PAY TO WIN, with only unlocks that would ugh be cosmestic and supportive... Yeah right.. That changes when you as a publisher realize you have a crap game...

To top it off, i have been asking for a refund just 3 days after alpha squad was released where i got suckered in and then the bait and switch game changes started.. I have messages to Twitter, asking who to contact.. I have videos of going into the support system wher eits broken and you can not even sumbmit a support ticket, to finally a rep who said to contact some chump tuttle, who is their slackey who has no compassion and is a bouncer to deny any refund request, and will ignore anything else but Sorry, no refund responses. Why are they acting like this? FINANCIAL LOSS.. Their days look numbered

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Yeah I played a bit of Ps2, and I checked out the unlocks, the game is totally pay2win if you want to get anything unlocked anytime soonish. This is nothing new though, all f2p games are: free to play, pay to enjoy pretty much, if unlocks weren't cash shop buyable they would probally have needed MUCH less certs to obtain, the reason they need so many is to force some players to pay with station cash for them. Just remember no matter what the f2p game site says, the game usually is pay2win they just try to hide it usually. Personally I think Ps2 kinda sucks because the entire game is totally pointless, there is no real point to the game at all, and the balance is horrid, the purple guys with the laser weapons are brokely op, due to 0 bullet drop at all and the fact when they fire the shot hits near instantly so its way to accurite, and they get the best defense to boot, and their damage is fairly high as well. My friends play NC and they kinda suck tbh.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

They have to make a profit off their product somehow..

So far ive seen that I can get every upgrade and weapon through actually playing the game through cert points..

Originally posted by Siveria
    Yeah I played a bit of Ps2, and I checked out the unlocks, the game is totally pay2win if you want to get anything unlocked anytime soonish. This is nothing new though, all f2p games are: free to play, pay to enjoy pretty much, if unlocks weren't cash shop buyable they would probally have needed MUCH less certs to obtain, the reason they need so many is to force some players to pay with station cash for them. Just remember no matter what the f2p game site says, the game usually is pay2win they just try to hide it usually. Personally I think Ps2 kinda sucks because the entire game is totally pointless, there is no real point to the game at all, and the balance is horrid, the purple guys with the laser weapons are brokely op, due to 0 bullet drop at all and the fact when they fire the shot hits near instantly so its way to accurite, and they get the best defense to boot, and their damage is fairly high as well. My friends play NC and they kinda suck tbh.

Pointless is the exact term.

The game became pointless, no need for moving thru the terrain... And then they took away backcapping which made it an open world battle game. Because people who had no clues, kept ranting.. oh he backcapped. If you have open land and someone comes grab it.. good... if your objective is to continent cap, then you best have some defending forces..That's what war is..

The backcapping 90% of the times was because the force that took that capture point. lesft and did not clean out the enemy.. I had problems wiht my own guild not recognizing this... Im stillin battle and they have moved on, and then i hear over the commander chat in our TS3, Oh look they backcpaped again.. Im like, IM STILL HERE FIHGTING WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? I thought you were hear with me, WHY DO YOU THINK IM STILL CALLING OUT, MagnaRiders to the SW??? And their like, ugh.. oh dam we gotta chat, that's not a good thing.. But then they continued to suggest to PS2 to remove the backcap.. and PS2 caved removed it and game is now just that stupid and pointless.. A linear battle of complete boringness

Originally posted by Siveria
     the purple guys with the laser weapons are brokely op, due to 0 bullet drop at all and the fact when they fire the shot hits near instantly so its way to accurite, and they get the best defense to boot, and their damage is fairly high as well. My friends play NC and they kinda suck tbh.

And yet the Terran are dominating every continent on my server. image

Vanu guns are definently the most accurate, but they have a higher damage drop off outside of effective range. Supposedly with the starting sniper rifle you can not 1shot a fully healed target, it takes at least a headshot and a bodyshot.

I'm not sure about the defense thing, I would imagine hitpoints/shields are the same among all nations. NC do more damage per shot. Their snipers have 1shotted me several times.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by tank017

So far ive seen that I can get every upgrade and weapon through actually playing the game through cert points..

Well the point is tho. The amount of certs you need to unlock a single weapon.

The earning rate if certs is pretty abysmal and the 25% increase rate when subbing doesn't change that all too much.

It takes a very long time getting 1000 cert points and when you worked your ass off for many many days (easily say weeks of normal play) to get those 1000 cert points, unlocking a weapon with it, will be the last thing on your mind.

The thing is tho. 1000 cert points to unlock a weapon or pay up 700 SC to unlock it instantly. Makes it very much Pay 2 Win.

They most deliberately priced it that way, to condition people into just buying the unlocks instead of grinding cert points for weeks to unlock a single weapon!

That the weapon unlocks are character bound makes ofcourse sense. Otherwise it would be Pay 2 Win to the extreme!

What is outrageous is that the armor cosmetics are also character bound and SOE not warning you about it.

A lot of people have spends quite some money on cosmetic unlocks, only to find out later that when they switched server (because friends end up being on a different server, etc) that they had to buy everything again!

In a lot of games (like LOTRO, DDO, etc) cosmetic items are account wide and people have come accustomed to that.

So you cannot blame them to expect the same thing here. Especially since SOE doesn't specifically warn you about it when buying the item!

This is typical SOE asshattery, and it's going to backlash like no tomorrow.... which already started with a multi page thread on the forums currently, full of angry people!  And rightfully so.

Originally posted by JeroKane

The earning rate if certs is pretty abysmal and the 25% increase rate when subbing doesn't change that all too much.

It takes a very long time getting 1000 cert points and when you worked your ass off for many days to get those 1000 cert points, unlocking a weapon with it, will be the last thing on your mind.

But that weapon unlocks are character bound, that is fine.

What is outrageous is that the armor cosmetics are also character bound and SOE not warning you about it.

A lot of people have spends quite some money on cosmetic unlocks, only to find out later that when they switched server (because friends end up being on a different server, etc) that they had to buy everything again!

In a lot of games (like LOTRO, DDO, etc) cosmetic items are account wide and people have come accustomed to that.

So you cannot blame them to expect the same thing here. Especially since SOE doesn't specifically warn you about it when buying the item!

This is typical SOE asshattery, and it's going to backlash like no tomorrow.... which already started with a multi page thread on the forums currently, full of angry people!  And rightfully so.

There are several guns that only take a couple hundred certs to get. I'm already 1/3 of the way to the one i'm aiming for right now after just my first night of playing. It's just like grinding for different equipment or levels in any other MMO or RPG.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I would pay for some stuff as I like the game. Unfortunately as my email is .co.UK they are forcing me to use the German satellite dudes that can't even keep a web page up for longer than a hour. So I can't trust them with my bank details.
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    My server is eu full, i had to wait max 5 mins for a game that is 100% free. Even if people buy other guns your starter gun is as good as any other. I spent £15 in the cash shop for 2 reasons. 1st reason i wanted to unlock a anti air rocket launcher 2nd reason because this game is well well worth spending money on.

Almost every game locks items to characters and doesnt let you switch servers, how people can bitch about this game, its rediculous. Everything in this game can be earned in game and its easy enough.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Kanester

Almost every game locks items to characters and doesnt let you switch servers, how people can bitch about this game, its rediculous. Everything in this game can be earned in game and its easy enough.

That is not true!

Cosmetic items are account wide in most games!  WoW, LOTRO, DDO, etc. Every cosmetic item you buy in their shop is account wide. In WoW even mounts are account wide.

I say it again. That the weapon unlocks are character bound. Fine. But it's totally ridiculous for the cosmetic armor / camo unlocks to be character bound!  Especially since SOE doesn't warn you about it when you buy it!

It's just stupid and they are just going to lose a lot of money because of it and also lose angry players who already spend lots of money only to find out AFTER that it is character bound.

There are several angry players already posting in how they spend lots of money on cosmetics, ended up deleting their char, because of long queue times and lag on their server to reroll on a different one and/or because friends were playing on a different server.... to find out that they lost all items they paid for with REAL money!!

They can make a lot more money by making at least the cosmetic unlocks account wide. It will entice more people to buy stuff.

It takes a very long time getting 1000 cert points and when you worked your ass off for many many days (easily say weeks of normal play) to get those 1000 cert points, unlocking a weapon with it, will be the last thing on your mind.

The thing is tho. 1000 cert points to unlock a weapon or pay up 700 SC to unlock it instantly. Makes it very much Pay 2 Win.

They most deliberately priced it that way, to condition people into just buying the unlocks instead of grinding cert points for weeks to unlock a single weapon!

That the weapon unlocks are character bound makes ofcourse sense. Otherwise it would be Pay 2 Win to the extreme!

I  dont have a problem accumulating points or occasionally buying some to unlock new stuff,I have fun with the game to a point where it doesnt matter

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I  dont have a problem accumulating points or occasionally buying some to unlock new stuff,I have fun with the game to a point where it doesnt matter

Hm while SOE has every right tio make money I do think that Paid unlocks should be accound wide and not just per character (its not even per server)  

premium benefits are bullshit btw lol, that 25% only bring the rate back to 33% of what it used to be, you still will need 75+hours to get that weapon you like :P  better to just buy one or two guns and f2p the mods. 100 is doable in 7 hour so its a few days gaming fun to unlock all you need for a gun.  (in my case, high v ammo , supressor, scope, and a grip  stabilizer of sorts if the gun got taht option)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

It is NOT pay2win, this has been discussed numerous times, it isn't pay2win when you can get the same thing ingame without spending money. 100 certs only take a couple hours, 1000 certs is about a week if you play each night, I have a total of 8 hours so far and racked up 340 certs.

And Wolfenpride, VS on my server (Connery) is terrible as they can't even maintain 10% territory, TR seems to dominate most of the time too, I just recently rolled another toon on Matherson and what a huge difference, players on VS on Matherson seems to be much better than on Connery and I seem to get less lag on Matherson despite me being on the west coast which Connery is.

Originally posted by TeknoBug

It is NOT pay2win, this has been discussed numerous times, it isn't pay2win when you can get the same thing ingame without spending money. 100 certs only take a couple hours, 1000 certs is about a week if you play each night, I have a total of 8 hours so far and racked up 340 certs.

And Wolfenpride, VS on my server (Connery) is terrible as they can't even maintain 10% territory, TR seems to dominate most of the time too, I just recently rolled another toon on Matherson and what a huge difference, players on VS on Matherson seems to be much better than on Connery and I seem to get less lag on Matherson despite me being on the west coast which Connery is.

Im on VS Connery too,we were doing well for the 2 or so hours I played..

.but now youre scaring me image