Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

guns are too inaccurate

Comments

• Originally posted by bishbosh2
    Originally posted by jonesing22
    Yeah, you might be right about shooting the mountain in the distance - but I'm carrying a carbine as an engineer, I'm not engaging targets at more than 200 meters or so. If i'm doing any distant shooting I go with a bolt action or vehicle. I don't know, I'm trying to give you the benefit here - but this seems like a troll thread. I'm seeing - "Hey, if you point at a distant object and hold the trigger not every bullet hits the crosshair" .... I don't see the problem.

there is no way the carbines are effective  past even 50 metres dude. i think you are exaggerating way too much unless you are talking about ingame metres?(i have no idea how long ingame metres are but spread is way too much) what . you can kill people from far away but it takes a lot of ammo and time because of the spread- and dont say i need to l2p-- no matter how good you are you cant compensate for spread..... most carbines IRL can engage targets 300m , i have no idea why the range is small in this game....

im not trolling. just have play of bf3 or any other large scale shooter and compare the spread. planetside2 has huge spread.  

I don't know man - I can't help you. I do fine with my engineer weapon and haven't noticed exagerrated spread.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    One of those rare situations where virtually no one agrees with the OP. Starting to think perhaps he has an issue on his side, perhaps inadequate PC hardware or internet connection that may be aggravating the issue for him.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bishbosh2bishbosh2 Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by NeokiNaomi

Sorry OP, but you must not be aiming and controlling your fire. Also don't forget, this is not BF3/COD where the max players you have on a map are 64players. This is a large scale warfare game just like it's predecessor and WWII Online: BE. There's going to be server and client side hick ups. Especially this early in the game, different player regions will experience more severe or less of this. And yes, I do know the difference between spread and COF. Luckily myself and my entire outfit appear to not be experiencing what you are experiencing, then again, we come from years in PS1. We might just be used to it. Regardless, hope you get it dealt with.

Cheers

cod doesnt have 64 players and is very different to bf3.

fyi bf3 plays very similar to ps2. it is essentially ps2 without world persistence.

i beleive spread as i have described is the same as CoF. probably didnt read/understand what i said or you are mistaken about what CoF is or simply just a typo(hopefully)

ps1 is known notoriously for huge spread/CoF so its probably just that you are used to it

one of the main issues with this exaggerated spread in ps2 is that combat is limited to short ranges and hence we have large parts of the map wasted. everyone sticks around the control points or w/e they are called. there is no reason to spread out and shoot from far away because you cant do jack from far away.

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by bishbosh2

Sorry OP, but you must not be aiming and controlling your fire. Also don't forget, this is not BF3/COD where the max players you have on a map are 64players. This is a large scale warfare game just like it's predecessor and WWII Online: BE. There's going to be server and client side hick ups. Especially this early in the game, different player regions will experience more severe or less of this. And yes, I do know the difference between spread and COF. Luckily myself and my entire outfit appear to not be experiencing what you are experiencing, then again, we come from years in PS1. We might just be used to it. Regardless, hope you get it dealt with.

Cheers

cod doesnt have 64 players and is very different to bf3.

fyi bf3 plays very similar to ps2. it is essentially ps2 without world persistence.

i beleive spread as i have described is the same as CoF. probably didnt read/understand what i said or you are mistaken about what CoF is or simply just a typo(hopefully)

ps1 is known notoriously for huge spread/CoF so its probably just that you are used to it

one of the main issues with this exaggerated spread in ps2 is that combat is limited to short ranges and hence we have large parts of the map wasted. everyone sticks around the control points or w/e they are called. there is no reason to spread out and shoot from far away because you cant do jack from far away.

When it comes to carbines and standard rifles i cannot comment, however i've found that sniping works perfectly fine from really far distances. Hiding in mountains, shooting into a base that is being assaulted works really well for me, and has gotten me killstreaks on more than one occasion.

• bishbosh2bishbosh2 Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    One of those rare situations where virtually no one agrees with the OP. Starting to think perhaps he has an issue on his side, perhaps inadequate PC hardware or internet connection that may be aggravating the issue for him.

possibly this. i am considering it.

i am just wondering if there are any bf3/cs players here which can provide me their feedback/opinion so i can confirm whether i am just retarded/lag

atm everyone here seems to be ps1 and/or mmorpg players and i am getting a strong feeling that they either dont understand what i a saying or they understand but simply do not share the same enthusiasm for accuracy at range. assault rifles can hit man size targets at 400m no sweat IRL. in this game anything past  50m feels like a gamble. for gameplay purposes id like to be able to hit the a stationary head sized target from 100m away everytime with an assault rifle but it isnt possible because of spread.

also i cant seem to find an long range gunplay videos on youtube making me further beleive that the spread is just too much to fight at long range.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

there is so much spread with pretty much every gun it ridiculous. encounters with enemy players pretty much always come down to RNG unless one person gets the jump on the other its completely ridiculous... 

dont get spread confused with recoil. recoil in the game is fine. the spread (random deviation from the crosshairs) is insane. even with bolt action sniper there is huge deviation with makes it difficult to do anything and you need to keep shooting till you get lucky.

i think they have done this to cater to noobs. noobs dont like getting pwned everytime because other players can aim/control recoil better...

this is a fps game and shooting is fking huge thing in fps games. get your shit fixed up SOE.  shooting in this game feels like im playing a regular tab target mmo where stats and RNG decides who wins... have a look bf3s or bfbc2s gunplay and try to model off that. 

I completley agree... I was playing with sniper yesterday and you just can't shoot anyone unless you're lucky enough to target from first. Tho, you have to be lucky that the player you're shooting doesn't lagg and get's ported instantly 10 meters away when you shoot... But my sniper is just probably lag related.

Tho inaccuracy with other "closer" range rifles is just terrible... If it's not 5 feet away you can't shoot him. I had to empty all of my rounds to actually hit someone 2-3 times and I had my aim at him the whole time...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215

i am just wondering if there are any bf3/cs players here which can provide me their feedback/opinion so i can confirm whether i am just retarded/lag

atm everyone here seems to be ps1 and/or mmorpg players and i am getting a strong feeling that they either dont understand what i a saying or they understand but simply do not share the same enthusiasm for accuracy at range. assault rifles can hit man size targets at 400m no sweat IRL. in this game anything past  50m feels like a gamble.

I think i understand what you mean actually. It seems the weapons are actually designed that way. I know a lot of people complained in bf3 about rifles being almost as efficient as snipers at long range if you had a good scope.

Perhaps it's a design decision? I haven't attempted to shoot anyone from a range above 150 metres or so with an assault rifle.

• Originally posted by Yohanu

atm everyone here seems to be ps1 and/or mmorpg players and i am getting a strong feeling that they either dont understand what i a saying or they understand but simply do not share the same enthusiasm for accuracy at range. assault rifles can hit man size targets at 400m no sweat IRL. in this game anything past  50m feels like a gamble.

I think i understand what you mean actually. It seems the weapons are actually designed that way. I know a lot of people complained in bf3 about rifles being almost as efficient as snipers at long range if you had a good scope.

Perhaps it's a design decision? I haven't attempted to shoot anyone from a range above 150 metres or so with an assault rifle.

I'll have to try it out tonight. I'll start from point blank, and move back consistently stopping and shooting a round or two.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Up close the spread isn't noticeable, you'll kill someone fast holding the button down, but shoot at a building wall from 100m away while ADS and you'll see the bullet impact, they're nowhere close to where your ADS is. Shooting at a sniper with my Quasar equipped MAX from range is a joke, couldn't even hit him because every round after the first shot would go haywire.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    move your mouse counter to the recoil while firing
  • PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

Carbines aren't meant for long range battles.  Most clearly state they're medium range at best.  It may not be realistic but its clearly advertised and working on both sides of the field.  You can fairly easily run through distant fire to get to cover and wait out the fools closing in on you to get to an easier to handle distance.

If you're standing in the middle of nowhere taking pot-shots just 'hoping' instead of repositioning for an advantage, you deserve to be raging and complaining on a forum.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

I've spent pretty much all my time in game as an Infiltrator with the Conglomerate and I haven't had many problems with accuracy with their standard sniper rifle. The fact that the rifle is not automatic means you have even less room for error then the TR weapon. I think the problems may be latency related because there have been moments where people would literally be standing still and then a sec later be 10 feet away due to lag so I miss my shot completely. Its to be expected though with FPS games, I can't remember any online FPS that didn't have occasional lag.

Are you using the shift button to hold your breathe when you shoot? If they wanted to cater to newbs they wouldn't have bullet drop or made it so that you can't quick scope or fire back to back without accuracy loss. If anything I have always liked having multiple factors to worry about with sniping because then you wont have a million snipers running around. Also because...I think it makes those perfect long range shots all the more enjoyable.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The rifles aren't too bad at all.

I do think the aimbots or hackers have already found this game however. Today I encountered the immortal team of light assault TR. They were beating my sniper easily with their carbine from about 150 meters. Every single one of their bullets seemed to hit, no recoil whatsoever.

I know there are some great players out there, but the fact that they were all low rank and this was the first time I've ever witnessed something like that made the ABP cheater alert go off.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    It really boils down to a couple of things. One, which faction. Two, which gun. and Lastly, what "mods" have you put on the gun. There is a fourth, how do you handle the gun. ALL of these things factor in to the overall effectivenenss of any of the guns.  The first one...faction...just deals with how your factions guns handle in regards to rate of fire, accuracy and damage. Each faction is different as to which of those are dominant for that faction. As far as I am concerned, this "shooter" plays no different then virtually any other shooter.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• GeminivGeminiv Member UncommonPosts: 15

Narr they are fine infact i'd say they are a little Too accurate. playing sniper ("infiltraitor" but that name is a joke tbh with how easy cloak is to see, my main victims are infils "cloaking" lol) i've lost count on times some AR (auto rifle) has out sniped me, sometimes all i hear is 'THUD! THUD! THUD!' 3hits dead. now considering i'd need to hit him once in the head or twice in the body with a 1-2seconds wait between shots also haveing been zoomed out to reload the bolt action seems abit unfair how accurate they are, but meh they die easy enough with a tank runnin them over lol), also thing i've been noticing is once you get hit while zoomed (not sure if this is from being hit in the head) but you aim sways also screen shakes from bombs an crap are very annoying.

Also the thing with sniping is leading your target, problem is it kinda varies on how manny people are around ect with how laggy it is, it does get unplayable (to snipe atleast for me) in some of the huge fights not talkin slide show but a 1-2ish second delay = not sniping. also if your playing Vanu (like myself) GET A BOLT ACTION (100 points) because the stater sniper for this faction is a joke 2head hits or 3body with insane recoil is pathetic.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I had problems with Sniper rifles until I realized you had to hold your breath to stop your gun from swaying so much.

No problems with accuracy after that. I'm Vanu though, Terran and Conglomerates have to compensate for bullet drop off.

All other guns seem to be fine. Some upgrades seem to improve accuracy.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

there is so much spread with pretty much every gun it ridiculous. encounters with enemy players pretty much always come down to RNG unless one person gets the jump on the other its completely ridiculous... 

dont get spread confused with recoil. recoil in the game is fine. the spread (random deviation from the crosshairs) is insane. even with bolt action sniper there is huge deviation with makes it difficult to do anything and you need to keep shooting till you get lucky.

i think they have done this to cater to noobs. noobs dont like getting pwned everytime because other players can aim/control recoil better...

this is a fps game and shooting is fking huge thing in fps games. get your shit fixed up SOE.  shooting in this game feels like im playing a regular tab target mmo where stats and RNG decides who wins... have a look bf3s or bfbc2s gunplay and try to model off that. 

Ever shot full auto with a real gun? I am a pretty good shot but that is hard. While moving it is almost impossible except in real close quarters.

It is not recoil that is the worst thing IRL, it is moving. hitting something is a lot harder than most people think, breathing, the right position and so on is very important. Lying down and with good time I can hit a dollar coin from 200m every time with an old 50s submachine gun (a Swedish K, a variant of the Greasegun). While moving I am happy to hit a person from 25m.

So there is some realism to it but the question is if it is fun or not.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388
    Originally posted by Loke666

Ever shot full auto with a real gun? I am a pretty good shot but that is hard. While moving it is almost impossible except in real close quarters.

It is not recoil that is the worst thing IRL, it is moving. hitting something is a lot harder than most people think, breathing, the right position and so on is very important. Lying down and with good time I can hit a dollar coin from 200m every time with an old 50s submachine gun (a Swedish K, a variant of the Greasegun). While moving I am happy to hit a person from 25m.

So there is some realism to it but the question is if it is fun or not.

its not recoil im complaining about its the spread/CoF.

im not too worried about realism its just that i think much of the map is wasted because of the inaccuracy of the guns restricting people to very close range combat. the game although large ends up feeling very small. 

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

be lucky that u can play the game,

me and others still cant download it yet (launcher or steam)

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

Here a Simple Video that teach you how to shoot. Maybe you would like to have shotgun who hit the target at 300 meters...  

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Carbines and machine guns are inaccurate at long range and I think they are meant to be.

Pretty much they are all designed for near compound fights or storming compound (which is the main infantry fight in this game anyways - on field infantry especially light assault are pretty useless).

Think if you want to shoot at long range you have to go sniper or tanks.

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by Arcondo87
    coudnt get into this game...felt like it had no direction....i have more fun getting my ass handed to me in BF3....

dude u need to play it more :P

Originally posted by LoboMau

Here a Simple Video that teach you how to shoot. Maybe you would like to have shotgun who hit the target at 300 meters...  

all is good and well at 10m no complaints.  also im not complaining about recoil. im complaining about spread/CoF.

i would like if assault rifle could hit a stationary head side target at 100m with single shots but it cant because of spread.

this is just a game design issue, this thread is pretty much over. there is fairly large spread to encourage closer range combat -- working as intended and most people seem to be happy with it. i would prefer greater accuracy however, recoil can be increased to compensate.

really not impressed with the condescending l2p comments...

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

What are you expecting, no COF/Spread? You are contradicting what you are talking about in your replies OP. Before you stated those of us who disagree with you (And I do), do not know the difference between COF and Spread. You then stated there is a difference, and now you are stating they are the same thing and recoil is another factor. Spread refers to the reticule "Blooming" on your screen, COF is the bullets firing within (sometimes, outside) the cone of fire reticule on your ingame cross-hair. Recoil is the real life term that applies to both. So if you want to complain about "Design Issues", that's fine, but it seems majority of us do not see eye to eye with what you're saying. And if you're going to shut down a thread that simply disagrees with you, why even post this to begin with if you can't take criticism.

Cheers

TwitchTV: iNeoki

What are you expecting, no COF/Spread? You are contradicting what you are talking about in your replies OP. Before you stated those of us who disagree with you (And I do), do not know the difference between COF and Spread. You then stated there is a difference, and now you are stating they are the same thing and recoil is another factor. Spread refers to the reticule "Blooming" on your screen, COF is the bullets firing within (sometimes, outside) the cone of fire reticule on your ingame cross-hair. Recoil is the real life term that applies to both. So if you want to complain about "Design Issues", that's fine, but it seems majority of us do not see eye to eye with what you're saying. And if you're going to shut down a thread that simply disagrees with you, why even post this to begin with if you can't take criticism.

Cheers

i made the simple distinction earlier and i have been consistent with it

recoil is when your crosshair moves in response to firing of the weapon. 

spread or w/e u wanna call it is when the bullets simply do not land where the crosshair is pointing.

you can have recoil without spread. in planetside 2, the amount of spread increases the longer you hold down the trigger as does the recoil. this increase in spread is commonly reffered to as bloom (crosshair bloom) and is visually indicated by an increase in crosshair size. CoF (cone of fire) is simply the radius of the cone in which the bullets will land due to spread.

i think the amount of spread is too much. i think there should be no bloom. recoil is fine. this is simply a preference and you are free to disagree with it and enjoy the way spread works in ps2.