Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too ahead of its time... just like every other mmofps.

124»

Comments

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

Ahahahaha I think 90% of the people on this website are just kids or ignorant adults. Stop being so critical and enjoy a game for what it is. It is meant for entertainment! So many people ruin their own fun by over analyzing... It is actually quite frustrating reading through some of these posts. lol

In my opinion it is actually more involved and entertaining than most, if not all, FPS games that have come out recently. Large scale combat, vehicles and rpg elements including new weapons for your character, bits of fluff and cert mods help to give you stuff to look forward to and give you a little bit of progression for your character.

I agree with people who say it can be improved upon in some areas and ofcourse the game will get frequent updates. The base of the game is there and it is pretty fun if you ask me.

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Don't run your render setting at 100% if you are in  the games settings  Put in a rang of 75 to 85, and put all other gfx setting on medium. ATI just released some new drivers that help with PS2 and ATI cards. My experience with the game play is smooth and fast flowing and don't get a sense of it being sluggish.

The game is CPU bound, so you'll get no problems there, just play with the render, and field of view settings and see how you feels with everything on medium. The game last night on EU seemed to be logging everybody into on one Cont making ithat Cont lag to hell, but the other two were fine, so don't mix that up with how the game really is.  

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Krashner
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    both game are not that good, theres no real point to the game, just flip basis move on...

With that kind of logic there's no point to mmos in general, just do raids to get gear to make the raid you just did easier.

Not really.

In standard MMOs you win your gear and progress through tiers, you have a feeling you are building up on something (better gear + harder raids), there is a sense of achievement.

With PS2 there is no feeling of achievement, you win a base, and you lose it 5 minutes later.

You win the next base and you lose it 5 mins later, and so on.

That is ok for a Multiplayer game like CoD or BF, but for a MMO is a pointless waste of resources

PS2 is fun for  the first few hours, but then you think, oh CoD Black Ops 2 is out, why on earth should I play this game over that?

IMO save the money and buy Black Op 2, much better game.

Are you attempting to cram as many bad comparisons as possible in one post?

CoD, BF, Raiding, PS2. <--- Really?

You dont buy PS2 it's F2P, so go buy BO2; but its not the same kind of game so you can play them both.

As for the base turnover, I don't know what you expect. If you don't want to lose that base then post some security there instead of zerging.

It mostly shows how clueless MMORPG players are when it comes to shooters. Referencing BO2 in a positive way is pretty much the dumbest thing ever when you try to have any intelligent discussion about shooters. Any selfrespecting and competitive shooter player will stay away from any new CoD game as far and as long as possible, since they are shooters created to please the mainstream masses, who'd rather play shooter games on a console controller.  Nothing wrong with liking it, but assuming you want to play on a more serious or competitive level, the CoD series is shit.

Elitism? Perhaps, but also true.

CoD 4 did a whole lot good for the shooter genre but after that the series stagnated to pulp, they became a series focussed on giving people an awesome CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE, rather then a game that created a challenging and competitive environnement. Sure its fun, but it lacks any form of depth. Online shooters, or any online game with some kind of competitive edge to it need to be interesting for multiple years, not come with a new one every year. 

PS2 at least offers a lot more promise, especially when you see thie number of serious outfits that migrated over from PS1. Anyone complaining about the lack of depth or zerginess of PS2 has not propperly played the game yet and probably do not have a clue about how the game works. Join an outfit or at least always join an active squad/platoon and you will see how the zerg will be absent and the game becomes very strategic.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by RDBeast

Ahahahaha I think 90% of the people on this website are just kids or ignorant adults. Stop being so critical and enjoy a game for what it is. It is meant for entertainment! So many people ruin their own fun by over analyzing... It is actually quite frustrating reading through some of these posts. lol

In my opinion it is actually more involved and entertaining than most, if not all, FPS games that have come out recently. Large scale combat, vehicles and rpg elements including new weapons for your character, bits of fluff and cert mods help to give you stuff to look forward to and give you a little bit of progression for your character.

I agree with people who say it can be improved upon in some areas and ofcourse the game will get frequent updates. The base of the game is there and it is pretty fun if you ask me.

The point is. That this game, just like Warhammer Online, needs heavy populated servers to make the game work.

When people get tired of base flipping day after day after day.... and it will be sooner than you think. The population will start dropping, fights will be less and as result the game will be no longer any fun, when you have spend a lot of time just trying to find a single fight.

Right now we are in the infamous "honeymoon" period with full servers... but in a couple weeks from now that will already change. /shrug

Instead of releasing three of the same type continents, they should have sticked to one and focused on the other two being empty continents with player ownable bases and rare resources to fight over.

This would have given this game instant longetivity it sorely needs to survive! As it needs heavy populated servers to survive.

A PVE based MMO can survive, linger on with lower populated servers, as you can just do your own thing in PVE.

With PlanetSide 2 being PVP only, it relies on having high population on each server.

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156
    when you kids grow up, you'll realize that this is how FPS are supposed to be ;D
  • GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    I do not think this is as much an issue as you make out. I believe they have a good enough game in the works to retain an established community for a good while. Maybe they will have to merge the servers sooner than they would think though but maybe not. Either way the game has enough going for it to stay and if they do have to merge servers that will only help keep the fight going. Also you can easily get into a fight from anywhere in the game so finding one is not an issue at all.
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I am of the opinion this title would of been a killer game if it was developed and marketed as a co-op FPS instead of an MMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Consensus
    even planetside 1 was not massive.
    ... what?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    PS1 was a far better game and wasn't ahead of its time. PS2 isn't bad but it doesn't live up to the greatness of PS1.

yea, unless you played it, and you'd know the network technology coulnd't handle half of planetside 1 :P

it actually WAS ahead of it's time, sorry to tell ya ^^

but yes, they made some obvious design flaws in ps2 (taking points in a max, no doors, nothing real to hack...)

Ps2 became more of a massive BF game than planetside unfortunately. has nothing to do with missing tech tho, the game is running quite fine this time.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Drealgrin
    when you kids grow up, you'll realize that this is how FPS are supposed to be ;D

This. If anything, this thread is definitely an age detector. That or that they have been playing MMORPG's for so long that they are totally void of any other kind of VIDEO GAME experience and procede to discredit it like some sort of gaming zealot.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

I agree

Im sick of Manshoot13:More REal WAR action constant remakes for wannabe soldiers sat on their couches.  These games are a series of boring cutscenese and corridors.

but lately we got some decent FPS come out.

Bulletstorm and Serious Sam 3 that bring back twitch / arcade style / getting in the zone FPS style action

Farcry 3 which is excellent - Its to FPS what skyrim is to RPGs

Planetside 2 which crappy EU servers aside is great fun and brings back MMO to the MMO genre following solo orientated games like SWTOR & TSW.

Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    PS1 was a far better game and wasn't ahead of its time. PS2 isn't bad but it doesn't live up to the greatness of PS1.

yea, unless you played it, and you'd know the network technology coulnd't handle half of planetside 1 :P

it actually WAS ahead of it's time, sorry to tell ya ^^

but yes, they made some obvious design flaws in ps2 (taking points in a max, no doors, nothing real to hack...)

Ps2 became more of a massive BF game than planetside unfortunately. has nothing to do with missing tech tho, the game is running quite fine this time.

planetside 1 was massively ahead of its time.  Broadband had only just got started back then,  most people didnt have it.  WOW released a couple of years later to really cash in on the broadband boom.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by bossalinie

This. If anything, this thread is definitely an age detector. That or that they have been playing MMORPG's for so long that they are totally void of any other kind of VIDEO GAME experience and procede to discredit it like some sort of gaming zealot.

Wait wait wait, so is anyone who might disagree with you is just a kid, or senile?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Jimmyzzz

Long time lurker, first time poster. I thought i'd share what PS2 could become, if supported.

"What are your plans for the future?

First off, we have a 3 year plan. That's really big. We plan on putting that out to the users at some point in the near future. This isn't some "vision" we plan on imparting on our players. It's our thoughts on what we think would be cool. We will listen to our users feedback and make changes based on that feedback. We think we have some killer ideas but our players have pretty good ones too! I want to be super clear here - these are just some of the ideas. The team has a ton.

Here are just a few cornerstone ideas we are considering. I want to be crystal clear and say that these are NOT promises these are ideas.. some of which may be canned. That thinking can change. It can even change fast. I just want you to understand we are looking to support this game for a very long time and add a lot of features to it.

1) Player Owned bases - we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We're also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.

AWESOME

2) Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.

ALSO AWESOME

3) Water between continents - seamlessly - this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.

SOUNDS GOOD

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.GOOD though i suspect the potential to sell their certs is also at play here

5) NPC enemies - I don't want to call this PVE. That's not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn't a bunch of quest givers saying "go kill 10 rats" - this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.
    MEH - no point chasing the PVE crowd, taking on PVE to PS2 would be just as bad as say the taked on crappy PVP in WOW type games

6) NPC armies - imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it's in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn't another game mode. It's all part of the same game.

HMMM NO probably

7) Esports support - we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.

WHY, youre a MMO play to a MMOs strengths

8) Weather

YES would add more variety
    9) Mac version (soon after launch).

why not

Like I said - some of these are just ideas.. some are already planned for the near term. Expect us to lay this out clearly and expect this soon.

Thanks and I hope this gives you some things to think about

Smed"

Source - http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/2412.html

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Wait wait wait, so is anyone who might disagree with you is just a kid, or senile?

Agreeing/Disagreeing with me is not reason I would consider a inexperience or ignorant, nor did my post state that, nor did the previous person.

• Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by Jimmyzzz

Long time lurker, first time poster. I thought i'd share what PS2 could become, if supported.

"What are your plans for the future?

First off, we have a 3 year plan. That's really big. We plan on putting that out to the users at some point in the near future. This isn't some "vision" we plan on imparting on our players. It's our thoughts on what we think would be cool. We will listen to our users feedback and make changes based on that feedback. We think we have some killer ideas but our players have pretty good ones too! I want to be super clear here - these are just some of the ideas. The team has a ton.

Here are just a few cornerstone ideas we are considering. I want to be crystal clear and say that these are NOT promises these are ideas.. some of which may be canned. That thinking can change. It can even change fast. I just want you to understand we are looking to support this game for a very long time and add a lot of features to it.

1) Player Owned bases - we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We're also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.

AWESOME

2) Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.

ALSO AWESOME

3) Water between continents - seamlessly - this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.

SOUNDS GOOD

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.GOOD though i suspect the potential to sell their certs is also at play here

5) NPC enemies - I don't want to call this PVE. That's not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn't a bunch of quest givers saying "go kill 10 rats" - this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.
    MEH - no point chasing the PVE crowd, taking on PVE to PS2 would be just as bad as say the taked on crappy PVP in WOW type games

6) NPC armies - imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it's in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn't another game mode. It's all part of the same game.

HMMM NO probably

7) Esports support - we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.

WHY, youre a MMO play to a MMOs strengths

8) Weather

YES would add more variety
    9) Mac version (soon after launch).

why not

Like I said - some of these are just ideas.. some are already planned for the near term. Expect us to lay this out clearly and expect this soon.

Thanks and I hope this gives you some things to think about

Smed"

Source - http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/2412.html

Most of that sounds awesome.

• thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by someforumguy
    Originally posted by shibonoryu
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    both game are not that good, theres no real point to the game, just flip basis move on...

Welcome to the world of Sandbox MMO's. Your exit is over that way.

How does that make this game a sandbox MMO? Can you build a city? Can you create content as player (chosing to go west or east is not creating content)? Can you develop your character in any way you can? This game has nothing to do with a sandbox MMO.

I'm not saying that it is a bad game. But just very restricted in what you can do in it. The person you quoted just realised that there is not enough variety in it for him.

Tehre is a reason why it's called MMOFPS (not MMORPG). MMO aloen doesn't have to do much with sandbox term.

Everyone should have in mind tho that PS2 is mainly a shooter. The rest is built up on top of that. It's put in a massive world which allows many people to play in. This gives the right to an MMO prefix... Which further opens up room for big scale strategy for clans. Only on top of all that it has an rpg element (unlocking weapons and skills).

But yeah considering people slap sandbox on pretty much everything these days that's pretty acurate actualy.

If there was an -fps sandbox- than Planetside2 definitely is that. (ofc in it's own boundries of being a shooter!!)

Planetside 2 is not a sandbox. As there is no sandbox.

I agree.  While PS2 is an MMOFPS, it is not a sandbox by any stretch.  There is no player created economy or items.  No player created housing or time sinks.  It is nothing more than a persistant world MMOFPS that operates on a glorified "capture and hold/capture the flag" principle common in FPS games since they went competitive and multplayer.  The persistant world is the only thing that really separates it from Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2, in basic premise.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Agreeing/Disagreeing with me is not reason I would consider a inexperience or ignorant, nor did my post state that, nor did the previous person.

Well good, sounded suspiciously like you were preemptively labeling people...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Phry

what other mmofps?!?!

there are no other mmofps. there is darkfall and planetside 2. even planetside 1 was not massive.

darkfail wasnt really a mmofps, but planetside 1 was definitely an MMOFPS, if you had done even a little research on it, that should be obvious.image

Originally posted by TeknoBug

even planetside 1 was not massive.

... what?

I think you guys need to do your research. ps1 was only a few hundred concurrent players, good for the time but not massive like mmorpgs at the time,  200+ player servers are pretty common for shooters now. 

darkfall was 10k concurrent, ps2 is 2k. hence they are the only really MASSIVE multiplayer shooters, AFAIK.

My blog: image

• Dark-AsylumDark-Asylum Member Posts: 300
    what the hell is an ATI HD Core? lol
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Sigh.. here we go again. MMO purists trying to define what MMO is even though over the years MMOS have intergreted themselves with all other genres and have become more of a hybrid.

PS2 is a MMOFPS, it is not just called a shooter or a MMO but mixture of both.

No one is saying here that it's not a MMO.

There is just no depth. There is no point in capturing bases nor defending it.

-- Staging, experience, map domination , defensive positions. All reasons to capture a base and defend it.

There are no resources to control. Nothing that helps your faction in any way.

-- I haven't dug into this, so I can't verify it, but I was under the impression that certains bases reward different resources.

There is no reason to subscribe. There is no reason to buy anything in the store.

-- Subscribing gives priority status in the queue, as well as increased experience gains and passive certification gains. It's definetely worth the sub for those of  us playing hotly.

This game just doesn't have any long lasting appeal.

-- I've never concidered an Mmofps to be a mainstain game, so I won't argue this point as I contest that it was ever supposed to be.

The rest of your post(s) were subjective, you simply don't like what the game is. Thats fine.