Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They Shut Down the 11,000 Post Thread

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Much ado about not much.

I guess it's better than the alternative of people complaining that after three months ANet had added nothing to the game.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Much ado about not much.

I guess it's better than the alternative of people complaining that after three months ANet had added nothing to the game.....

amen to that as ive seen a few guys in this forum that i know for a fact do not even play anymore and rage against the game posting stuff stiring it up more here.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by cronius77

What exactly is wrong with having a new set of gear that fills in the gap between exotics and legendaries? Oh yeah most of the people here complaining feel entitled to not have to work at something but still be the best in games. Seriously get over it , i read those forums to and all it looks like is a bunch of whiney babies crying over and over again in every single thread posted. Anet doesnt want to hear the whining anymore so people now come here and do it since they cant there. They sent out surveys , have answered numerous posts about it before they even stopped deleting and banning idiots that keep posting like a broken record there the same thing just reworded to be witty.

1. There was no "gap" between exotics and legendaries. They had exactly the same stats.

2. So, it's a sense of "entitlement" when I expect to get what was advertised, and it's out of a sense of "entitlement" that I complain that the company reneged on what they said GW2 was going to be?

Educate yourself before insulting thousands of players who are being quite reasonable about what has happened, because outrage is the reasonable response in a situation like this.

• shadyjamesshadyjames Member Posts: 34
    So you want more content with the same gear forever just make it look different? I don't understand people getting mad cause the developer is thinking ahead. they plan on adding large content patches with new areas and dungeons and I for one hope they get harder and I get rewarded for beating them with slightly better stuff. Now what i understand from his message. they are going to do just what i hoped. You have a point about exotics and legendary having same stats so that part does add confusion, but maybe they will be making newer legendaries with higher stats also down the line. The game is still pretty new. I for one will give them the benefit fo the doubt, and not fly off the handle. They have alot to deal with, your 11000 post thread isn't their only cry for fixes and answers you know. I imagine they also don't want to give away the plot of the next year of updates. Sit back relax play or not, but give them some time to show you what they have in mind before you burst a neck vein over one little step in what could be a grand staircase.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Meleagar
    Originally posted by rygard49

ANet wants to unseat WoW as the number 1 MMO. That is a documented and stated goal of theirs. In hindsight, this change in design philosophy was guaranteed to happen sooner rather than later.

I understand why people feel duped, but I also think that this is a healthy change for the game. I've always been of the opinion that there MUST be some type of advancement after reaching max level. Whether that's AAs, Gear upgrades, or some other type of progression, there simply has to be a reason to keep playing. Looking around for new outfits to wear is not enough.

So you believe turning the game into Pay-To-Win is a healthy change?  This is what you end game gear-grinders don't get about what happened in GW2. You've always been able to buy exotics with real money, but it didn't matter because exotics were relatively easy to get for everyone.  You could grind for skins unique to certain dungeons or efforts.  Now there is a never-ending stat grind (at least with infusions) that you can either do a massive, massive grind for, or you can just wait until farmers put that stuff up in the Trading Post and buy it with real cash.

Before, GW2 wasn't "pay to win" precisely because there was nothing to "win" - stats were capped at a relatively easy mark. Now, with the gear grind, you either pay to stay up or grind your butt off - is that really the way you want it, even as a hardcore gamer? Grinding your butt off while some other guy with money to burn just buys top end gear off the TP?

Don't put words in my mouth, and read what I wrote. I said there must be some type of max level advancement. I didn't say there must be a way to buy max level gear, or that there should be an avenue to pay your way to max stats.

I will always disagree with GW2's cash shop as I'm against cash shops in general, though I think you're really stretching by calling this "pay to win". If ANet begins selling the components or the gear outright, then yes that's a problem. If you're saying that because a player can buy gold and then buy the exotics from a player driven market, then no it isn't pay to win.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by cronius77

What exactly is wrong with having a new set of gear that fills in the gap between exotics and legendaries? Oh yeah most of the people here complaining feel entitled to not have to work at something but still be the best in games. Seriously get over it , i read those forums to and all it looks like is a bunch of whiney babies crying over and over again in every single thread posted. Anet doesnt want to hear the whining anymore so people now come here and do it since they cant there. They sent out surveys , have answered numerous posts about it before they even stopped deleting and banning idiots that keep posting like a broken record there the same thing just reworded to be witty.

1. There was no "gap" between exotics and legendaries. They had exactly the same stats.

"gap in effort" was the point. The effort required to acquire Ascended is between Exotic and Legendary levels. As some people testified here, it's very easy to acquire Exotics. ANet felt that the huge jump between acquiring Exotic and Legendary needs some sort of bridge.

2. So, it's a sense of "entitlement" when I expect to get what was advertised, and it's out of a sense of "entitlement" that I complain that the company reneged on what they said GW2 was going to be?

Educate yourself before insulting thousands of players who are being quite reasonable about what has happened, because outrage is the reasonable response in a situation like this.

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

I want to take an opportunity to express my grievances with respect to the way ANet has behaved since the beginning of the Ascended gear fiasco.  While I think it's fair to suggest that the entire situation is complex and a response that endeavored to address every facet of the company's new direction would need to be correspondingly complex, it's impossible for me to understate, regardless of the level of nuance or sophistication I have, a certain base-line level of consternation.  In the aforementioned vanished thread, I went to great lengths to articulate, with some deliberation, my feelings about this new direction in a way that I thought was fair to both sides, to say nothing of my effort to take a reasonable approach to the dynamics involved in maintaining a profitable enterprise.  However, under these circumstances, seeing that that effort at dialog has been received with a heretofore unfamiliar level of blase indifference, I feel it more appropriate to distill my feelings in a more straightforward, albeit no less accurate, manner.  Which is to say, to wit,

Fuck you, ArenaNet.

You'll never get another red cent from me.  You're everything that's wrong with the industry, and if you'd done nothing to earn my ire by the trainwreck itself, you've certainly invited it with your silence, censorship, and disdain.  My patience is exhausted and my willingness to entertain any explanation, apology, or communication with respect to this incident is gone.  I'm moving on, and with me I'm taking the same devotion, esteem, and adoration that had been yours without cost.  I've got a limited number of hours to play games, an even more limited amount of time with which to lobby for their success, and even further limited funds to invest in them.  So I'm investing it all elsewhere.

Peace and safety.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

The other day, I went out for a burger and fries.

When I ordered I clearly stated " I would like a burger and fries" and the waitress said " one burger and fries...    Anything else?" to which I clearly replied "nope, that's it"  

When my order came, I distinctly noticed that there was a couple pickles on the side. I said " I didn't order these pickles" and the waitress replied "they added the pickles as part of the menu item."

So I went and checked over the menu which I ordered from, and it clearly did not imply that I was going to be getting pickles. I didn't order pickles, and I don't want pickles.

I complained to the waitress saying that I didn't ask for pickles and she casually sluffed me off saying "you don't have to eat the pickles sir"

Needless to say, I feel lied to. I will never be frequenting that establishment again! I am going to be making damn sure that everyone knows how little they care for their customers.  I may even pay their head office a visit to make sure they know how serious this offense is to me and to the thousands if not millions of people that eat burgers on a semi-regular basis.  Sure it's easy for people to say that I could just not eat the pickles, but if I want to fully experience my meal now, I am forced to eat pickles!  I have my rights, and they have lied, cheated and stolen the last red cent from me!!!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Despite all the complaining, one thing occurs to me. 

Anet might have said before release, " At level 80 we are planning some end game dungeons that will have 'ascended' gear.  The dungeons get progessively more challenging as they go along....blah blah blah..".   And would have everyone who bought it gone out and bought it anyways?  Of that I have no doubt.  None. 

Oh some might not have necessarily liked it, just as they don't now.  Yet would they have bought GW2 anyways?  Yea....yea they would have.  Period.  Why?  Because there's too many good things to enjoy in GW2 despite the fact. 

I'm not thrilled by the move either.  What's the one thing I dislike most about mmorpgs.  Dungeons.  Thats a personal thing but I hate them.  I absolutely hate them.  The only thing I hate more is dungeon grinds which is probably why I hate dungeons to begin with.  WoW just killed dungeons for me in games.  I can't freggin stand them.  Which is what happens after playing Zul Farrack over 50 times to get a stupid purple sword which I finally got.  Not that it was really worth it.  Oh it was a nice sword, but nothing is worth running the same dungeon that many times.  At that point dungeons were ruined for me forever. 

But Im more of an altaholoic more than anything.  I enjoy the journey.  I don't even care about the destination.  In fact I hate hitting level cap as well.  So maybe this doesn't bother me as much as it does some for that reason. 

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    The thread was closed because nothing new was being added to it, just the same re-hashing of the same complaints.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Xhieron

/snip

Fuck you, ArenaNet.

/snip

Thers is a certain irony that an ANet staff used the 'F' word on Twitter to people that actually bought the game and apparently nothing was done.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    I found it funny that no one has mention the mass email about sales in their online store in game and I got that email today 3 times! So yeah, they are not pushing the money deal at all , this has nothing to do with it. Yeah. ok... sure.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

It's not about the gap in stats, it's about the gap in effort obtain.

ArenaNet thought, correctly imo, that there should be another level of rareness harder to obtain than exotics but less than legendaries.

Ascended gear has simply taken over the role that Exotics used to do. It is not the same as Tier Progression in other games because in those systems new tiers are still in the same item quality rating.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by chaintm
    I found it funny that no one has mention the mass email about sales in their online store in game and I got that email today 3 times! So yeah, they are not pushing the money deal at all , this has nothing to do with it. Yeah. ok... sure.

Assuming that efforts being made by a company to notify its players about Cash Shop sales should be frowned upon, I checked my e-mail account and found only one by ANet: "Authorize log-in attempt" (Nov 16)

Maybe the e-mail that's supposedly for me went to you.

Originally posted by fundayz

ArenaNet thought, correctly imo, that there should be another level of rareness harder to obtain than exotics but less than legendaries.

Ascended gear has simply taken over the role that Exotics used to do. It is not the same as Tier Progression in other games because in those systems new tiers are still in the same item quality rating.

Re-read the highlighted sentence that you just wrote.

Did ANet introduce a gear gap that didn't exists from before? Yes since Ascended gear is better than exotics.

Now re-read your following sentence and try to understand why it doesn't make logical sense.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

That's funny, you must have gotten the one meant for me.  Maybe that accounts for your extra two.  I just checked my email for the first time in about 3 days and guess what?  Not a single email from ArenaNet.  Not even in my spam folder.

So, apparently they forgot me or that email wasn't as "mass" as you think it was.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by fundayz

Did ANet introduce a gear gap that didn't exists from before? Yes since Ascended gear is better than exotics.

Now re-read your following sentence and try to understand why it doesn't make logical sense.

Anet didn't "introduce" a gear gap.  They saw one between exotics and legendaries in terms of effort expended to get them.  So they filled the gap.

Nice try though.

Originally posted by evolver1972

Anet didn't "introduce" a gear gap.  They saw one between exotics and legendaries in terms of effort expended to get them.  So they filled the gap.

Nice try though.

This post is factually false as ascended gear is better than exotics in terms of stats.

Gdemami -

Nice try though.

This post is factually false as ascended gear is better than exotics in terms of stats.

No it's not.  You said they "introduced a gear gap".  They in fact did not introduce a gear gap.  They closed it with the introduction of Ascended gear.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Nice try though.

No it's not.  You said they "introduced a gear gap".  They in fact did not introduce a gear gap.  They closed it with the introduction of Ascended gear.

actually no, legendary never had better stats then exoitc there was no gap to close.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

Nice try though.

actually no, legendary never had better stats then exoitc there was no gap to close.

I'm not talking about stats.  That's where "in terms of effort expended to get them" comes in.

Anet has stated that they saw a gap in how much time it took to get exotics vs. how much time it took to get legendaries.  So they introduced a new set to go between them in order to break up the time/effort gap.

I'm not talking about stats.  That's where "in terms of effort expended to get them" comes in.

Anet has stated that they saw a gap in how much time it took to get exotics vs. how much time it took to get legendaries.  So they introduced a new set to go between them in order to break up the time/effort gap.

This is one twisted logic that makes no sense so lets break it down, shall we?

1. Exotics and legendaries were identical in stats. 

2. ANet introduces Ascended gear that is above exotics.

3. ANet buffs legendaries so it is now better than both exotics and ascended gear.

4. Welcome to gear grind.

Gdemami -

This is one twisted logic that makes no sense so lets break it down, shall we?

1. Exotics and legendaries were identical in stats. 

2. ANet introduces Ascended gear that is above exotics.

3. ANet buffs legendaries so it is now better than both exotics and ascended gear.

4. Welcome to gear grind.

How twisted is it when someone deliberately ignores what another is saying to try to prove his opinion as fact?

As for gear grind....yeah, one instance makes a pattern I guess.  Would it have been gear grind if Ascended had been there at release?  Would anyone have even batted an eyelash?  Most likely not.  If Anet never introduces another tier, is it stil a grind?  If it is, then that means that every tier of gear from the beginning is gear grind.

So, I ask, how is what I said twisted logic?  I specifically said I wasn't talking about a stat gap.  I (and ArenaNet) have said repeatedly now that the gap was in the time/effort it took to get exotics vs. legendaries.  Go ahead and ignore that again so you can restate your misconception about what they did.

How twisted is it when someone deliberately ignores what another is saying to try to prove his opinion as fact?

As for gear grind....yeah, one instance makes a pattern I guess.  Would it have been gear grind if Ascended had been there at release?  Would anyone have even batted an eyelash?  Most likely not.  If Anet never introduces another tier, is it stil a grind?  If it is, then that means that every tier of gear from the beginning is gear grind.

So, I ask, how is what I said twisted logic?  I specifically said I wasn't talking about a stat gap.  I (and ArenaNet) have said repeatedly now that the gap was in the time/effort it took to get exotics vs. legendaries.  Go ahead and ignore that again so you can restate your misconception about what they did.

ANet stated before GW2 launch that they do not believe in gear grind nor gear gap.

Legendaries were purely cosmetic upgrades.

They've changed that and well, here we are.

Whether you want to defend ANet or not or you think gear grind is what you perceive to be is irrelevent.

Gdemami -

ANet stated before GW2 launch that they do not believe in gear grind nor gear gap.

Legendaries were purely cosmetic upgrades.

They've changed that and well, here we are.

Whether you want to defend ANet or not or you think gear grind is what you perceive to be is irrelevent.

Legendaries are still purely cosmetic upgrades.  That hasn't changed at all.

But, hey, good luck in ignoring facts and trying to pass your opinion as fact.