Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xsyon: Prelude: Apocalypse Announces Kickstarter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Xsyon team wants to put out a full version of the game with Xsyon: Apolcalypse. To do so, they need fans' help and have started a new Kickstarter project to help fund the development and to expand the development team.

Xsyon: Apocalypse will be the first full 'gold' installment of Xsyon and our goal for this project!

This will be Xsyon as originally designed with all features and systems outlined above. 

Find out all you need to know on the Xsyon: Apocalypse site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Yes....not going to be fooled again :/
  • DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Originally posted by Coman

Amen brother..amen.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Deddpool

Amen brother..amen.

Thirded.

Can't believe kickstarter even took 'em. What a shame.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I tried the free trial the other day and I saw nobody. I thought I was back in SWTOR :P The game looks to have some promise if they could get more funds. After all this time though I would be surprised if anyone would support it. Good Luck to you!
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Well Xsyon and Pathfinder online are the only hope we have for MMOs. EoC might be good also. Everything else just gives MMOs a bad name.

If I had 10K to waste they would have it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by Deddpool

Amen brother..amen.

Thirded.

Can't believe kickstarter even took 'em. What a shame.

MMO gamers forget quickly. A lot of the people that forked over money in the beginning of 2010 will do it again this round, as well.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Actually I'm glad to see the Kickstarter and very glad to see that they plan to start a non-PvP server. People are willing to give their money to games which only exist on paper...at least Xsyon already has a working, bug-free, playable game. They need more fund to reach the next level of the game, the Apocalyps,and I'll be glad to support them. I've seen these devs to struggle through very hard times, they didn't give up, didn't close the game and didn't let their fans down.

I agree that the development speed was painfully slow that's why they need the Kickstarter to speed up things. If one is willing to support a sandbox game which only exists in theory and who knows if it ever sees the light this is a much better choice, an already existing game that only needs to reach the next level.

Finally a sandbox without forced PvP. Can't wait.

• gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    At 4:20 into the video i hear a age of empires priest converting people to his cause lol!
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Hilarious. They said ranged combat would be patched in a few weeks, 2 years ago! 

I purchased prelude and played for a few weeks, i knew i was essentially paying for beta, but it was a fun and original game even back then, had potential but no solid gameplay or longlivety.

Over the past 2 years, i have been following development waiting for the game to reach its potential. however they really have done IMO a lousy job updating the game since beta, for example the combat is still looks awful and you can still build square walls out of dirt.

i would like this game to succeed, and maybe they do need more money to make that happen. BUT they wont get another penny from me. I highly doubt they will reach their goal, but GL.

My blog: image

• HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97

Glad I'm not the only one who bought into this the first time around, lol

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

give how low the player pop is for this game.. are they sure having 2 servers would generate enough pop for either/both??? 

its nice and all that they are still working at bring thing game out but so far i havent seen alot of progress that would really attract alot of players to the game.  :/ either way hope they achive their goals

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Im sure as hell not putting any more money in their pockets, still regretting ever doing at all.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297

low budget indie game fails to meet butt hurt ppls expections wow  what a tottal  surprise i would never have guess something like that would happen.

this is a game that is real it exist you help them out you get some rewards and the game gets the money it needs for some updates sounds win

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

Xsyon reminds me a lot of the early days of open source operating system development, when people didn't really understand how complicated a whole operating system was and how interdependent every piece was.  

Game engines are this generation's operating system.  In my generation, the systems programmer was the top of the pile (top of the game? :) in the profession.  You could write your own ticket.  Now game engine folks are like that.  You need to understand so many things cross disciplinary, hold huge systems in your mind, interdependencies, modular and badly non-moldular systems, understanding how things run on multiple platforms -- hardware and operating systems and mobile and game systems.  It's INSANE what's expected out of a multiplayer game these days.  The idea that any company expects to write their own game engine is nearly ludicrous.

Which is one reason all the games tend to look a lot alike.

So if an indy company wants to write their own engine for a game that's truly different, it is a lot like writing a meta-operating system for every different kind of hardware and software that the game might be running on (that is to say, the game engine) in addition to the game mechanics and everything else involved in the game and however that interacts with everything, with the vagueries of the Internet, exploits, and what have you.

To do this with a small team and a small budget stretches the bounds of reason.  To do it with the general hostility and the lack of understanding that the fan base is willing to extend to any effort by any game studio large or small means that indy groups are generally doomed unless they are very charismatic and lucky.  Having an excellent (much less promising) product is nearly secondary or tertiary.

I say, good luck to them.  

And to the people who think all these games these days suck?   Learn to make better ones, instead of breaking your fingers typing about how bad all the existing ones are.  I bet if you learned just a little about how hard it is to make the things you'd sober up fast.

And damn, if you figured out you're innovative geniuses and really make kick ass games, I'd be even happier.  Either way, you'd STFU and do something more useful than gripe on the forums.

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

Shava! excellent post! Message me on xsyon fourms :-P Btw folks,

November 21 2012

Hello Xsyon Citizens!

Our first big announcement today!

We have reduced the prices for Xsyon Prelude Game Accounts and Subscriptions as follows:

Xsyon Game Account: $29.99
    Xsyon Monthly: $9.99
    Xsyon Quarterly: $28.47
    Xsyon BiAnnual: $53.94
    Xsyon Yearly: $95.88

Enjoy!

ingame name fatboy if ya need a home or help or just do /y for global chat  :-)

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    I was a pre-purchaser, and my first reaction to this was to laugh, after 2 yrs they decide to do something? Too little, too late. I admit that's just me though.
  • nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69
    Good post Shava.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I agree Shava, well said.

• NaturrutanNaturrutan Member Posts: 20

Everybody and their mother seems to be on kickstarter now...

Edit: Personally I still think Wurm blows this one out of the water.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    I gave them money the first time around, the fact that they have the audacity to try it again on Kickstarter is just mind blowing to me. Would love to play a finished version of this game, but I'm not giving them any more money, and sure as heck not paying a subscription for this.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by bbbb42

low budget indie game fails to meet butt hurt ppls expections wow  what a tottal  surprise i would never have guess something like that would happen.

this is a game that is real it exist you help them out you get some rewards and the game gets the money it needs for some updates sounds win

Wrong. People have no issue supporting a low budget indie game, as many of us did. What is an issue is being sold one thing and being given something else. Had they been honest with what they had from day one, there would have been no problems, instead they sold a bloated feature list, many of which have still never seen the light two years later, and they are now asking for more money again...

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Sinella

Actually I'm glad to see the Kickstarter and very glad to see that they plan to start a non-PvP server.

Finally a sandbox without forced PvP. Can't wait.

If Xsyon add PvE server? I will give my money.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

Wow, so they are going to try to turn Xsyon into a game?!  A "full version" of the game?

So what did I pay for 2 years ago?

After playing for a while, I concluded Xsyon was not really a game, just a skeleton. Good that the developers have noticed after these years ....

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69
    That was and is Prelude. This is a full launch of Gold.
  • nutsoddsnutsodds Member Posts: 89

Hi, as far as I know the game was officially launched on March 2011.

I liked the KS project to launch Xsyon : Apocalyse in a year . The sandbox mmo genre is not so healthy atm so I think projects like this should have support from the sandbox lovers eventhough they were playing other games. Imo there are many wow clones so why not having several sandbox games implementing features and getting better and better? Most of players buy other games like Rift,Wow, Guild wars adn play for a week and say ok it was fun fora while and then they stop playing. So having more options can be only good for mmo genre imo. And I foudn the KS project honest, and solid enough to back it. For those that played time ago I would say just try the trial and see yourself if it is better than before or not.