Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top hype on MMORPG.COM?

13»

Comments

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by -Zeno-
    Told ya real MMO's get peoples attention quicker.  Not many real MMORPG's on the market.  Most are watered down WoW clones.

Basicly every game that tries to break the WoW trend has gotten top hype, i think this just shows the Dev that everyone it sick of the same old rubbish they been throwing our way.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by n00bara
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Niburu
    You noly had to disable your sound and you got smooth FPS in battles with 1000's. If you set up your virtual RAM right you didn't even disconnect.

Heh, and people wonder why DF is criticisized as being a buggy POS?

Not only should things like that actually not even happen, but to have to use those as workarounds tell you what kind of amatuerish job was done coding in the first place.

It boggles the mind...

planetside 2 barely handles 50 people on the same place(lag all over the place) and graphics are superbad imo

soooo I dont really understand how you can shit on Darkfall when it is the top concurent players on the server game(excluding EvE online because the commands there are really simple and it isn't FPS type like df and ps 2 are).

Well i think thats just you having issue then with 50+ players in one place. Ive had 17 tanks + 38 players +12 aircraft on one side of a 3way battle in PS2, otherside had a little less players from what i could see and didnt lag at all. All in all there was 120-150 players in the one Outpost/short distance from it. With setting on High if i recall correctly.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    You noly had to disable your sound and you got smooth FPS in battles with 1000's. If you set up your virtual RAM right you didn't even disconnect.

Not only should things like that actually not even happen, but to have to use those as workarounds tell you what kind of amatuerish job was done coding in the first place.

It boggles the mind...

planetside 2 barely handles 50 people on the same place(lag all over the place) and graphics are superbad imo

soooo I dont really understand how you can shit on Darkfall when it is the top concurent players on the server game(excluding EvE online because the commands there are really simple and it isn't FPS type like df and ps 2 are).

Then you need to upgrade your system stat, because earlier today I was in a battle with 14 tanks , 4 sunderers , and about 20 planes in the sky from three factions and about 400 people on the ground fighting for one base, and my FPS?40-50 , with all chaos breaking out, so what your saying is that, your computer needs some work , and if you think PS2 was laggy, then DF:UW will be worse, DF:UW has some great concepts sure , but the company just can't be trusted at all, the first DF was a unholy buggy mess of a game yet , people still bitch at SOE, Blizzard ,Ncsoft ect even though they had some SOME mess ups but not nearly as bad as the company working on DF or for that matter Hammerpoint interactive, yet people back the shitty companies up, and then complain about how they got ripped off , well then stop buying their freakin games, but noo they buy them and then further support them. Also you might want to turn your graphics up to high for PS2 to get better graphics , some textures are not in place yet , but very minor ones, I would'nt use the term superbad when talking about Graphics regarding PS2 , the DF Engine looks terrible compared ti newer better engines out there, maybe there's a reason they are not doing beta's? Because if they did people would avoid this game like the plague.

• n00baran00bara Member Posts: 79

Then I am sorry guys but when I played PS2 2 months ago I got huge lags in battles 50+ and I have good PC + overclocked proc to 4.5ghz.

Also there is a HUGE difference between spending money on df subscription and spending it on other games. Df is pure adrenaline once you get used to it and is nothing like other games on market. So yeah even if it was the biggest shit engine/whatever I would still play it for some time because of the experience that is unforgettable. Too bad they are softcoring darkfall for the 99% population instead of catering to 1% that really like the game and can't imagine other mmos anymore.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Then I am sorry guys but when I played PS2 2 months ago I got huge lags in battles 50+ and I have good PC + overclocked proc to 4.5ghz.

Also there is a HUGE difference between spending money on df subscription and spending it on other games. Df is pure adrenaline once you get used to it and is nothing like other games on market. So yeah even if it was the biggest shit engine/whatever I would still play it for some time because of the experience that is unforgettable. Too bad they are softcoring darkfall for the 99% population instead of catering to 1% that really like the game and can't imagine other mmos anymore.

lol there just makign to where the D bags dont just chase off the new players thats about it 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Aeolron

It boggles the mind...

Then you need to upgrade your system stat, because earlier today I was in a battle with 14 tanks , 4 sunderers , and about 20 planes in the sky from three factions and about 400 people on the ground fighting for one base, and my FPS?40-50 , with all chaos breaking out, so what your saying is that, your computer needs some work , and if you think PS2 was laggy, then DF:UW will be worse, DF:UW has some great concepts sure , but the company just can't be trusted at all, the first DF was a unholy buggy mess of a game yet , people still bitch at SOE, Blizzard ,Ncsoft ect even though they had some SOME mess ups but not nearly as bad as the company working on DF or for that matter Hammerpoint interactive, yet people back the shitty companies up, and then complain about how they got ripped off , well then stop buying their freakin games, but noo they buy them and then further support them. Also you might want to turn your graphics up to high for PS2 to get better graphics , some textures are not in place yet , but very minor ones, I would'nt use the term superbad when talking about Graphics regarding PS2 , the DF Engine looks terrible compared ti newer better engines out there, maybe there's a reason they are not doing beta's? Because if they did people would avoid this game like the plague.

df engine is actully pretty impressive 1k vs 1k and it works ..

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Gotta love how everyone is comparing massive ps2 battles to massive DF battles.  There is a major difference however, its call CHARACTER CLIPPING.  In PS2 in a big battle the clipping is horrendous, yes they keep you over 40 fps, but the real problem is YOU CANNOT SEE the enemies just 50-100 yards in front of you, there are now invisible things shooting at you!   In DF they give you the OPTION to turn on clipping or not, either see your enemies and get some lag or not, in PS2 they just auto disappear the enemy, that is horrible.   The easiest way to see this in action is to use a jump pad, when you land all of a sudden who knows how many enemies, and friends all of a sudden pop up around you, problem is you can't see them before you jump, so you just don't know are there 0 guys or 20 guys YOU CANNOT TELL.  I like ps2 and will play it when it releases, but only until DF2 comes out, then planetside will just be another fps to play an hour or two a week when DF2 servers are down.  Planetside just doesn't have the depth that DF does.  

Think about it this way, in ps2 if your in a big battle and run out of ammo what do you do?  You suicide of course and are back in the action in less than 20 seconds.  In DF you would NEVER suicide, especially in a big battle.  PS2 the battles are fun enough but they are absolutely meaningless.  Just trading one static base for another over meaningless resources that unless your very bad at flying or driving YOU WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF.  DF you sieges are fought over resources all the time!  The world changes depending on who controls what.  Planetside is just zerg v zerg v zerg its fun, but nothing like DF and will lose its shine very quickly.

Also, you cannot compare the sieges in DF1 to PS2 as we are talking games made 4-5 years apart, if you wan't to compare you'll have to wait until DF2, where with multi-core support and only 1 character model massive siege warfare is looking less laggy than ever, but we'll have to wait a few weeks to find out.

• facesmashafacesmasha Member Posts: 13

After GW2 failed to keep their promise with the introduction of the gear treadmill this week...I started looking around for new game again since I was there for the WvW with no gear grind. Was pleasantly surprised when I found out about Darkfall  Unholy Wars! I will definitely be looking into this!

Oh btw, very interesting that this got top hype...the very same day that the information about the new gear tier in GW2 started to come out.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by facesmasha

After GW2 failed to keep their promise with the introduction of the gear treadmill this week...I started looking around for new game again since I was there for the WvW with no gear grind. Was pleasantly surprised when I found out about Darkfall  Unholy Wars! I will definitely be looking into this!

Oh btw, very interesting that this got top hype...the very same day that the information about the new gear tier in GW2 started to come out.

It is top hyped since weeks and if you liked GW2 sieging you will love Darkfalls sieging about meaningful playercities

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

It boggles the mind...

So, you are saying that SOE can't program? No s*** sherlock.

Not a good comparison.

And yes, Eve is the game to compare it to, since it is the only other single server game that comes to mind. Other games have many servers, instances and that stuff, so can't really compare those.

And comparing just the game functionality to Eve really shows how far AV has to go...

But EVE online doesn't offer FPS controls and doesn'T even have a detailed land mass.

So no, Darkfall is unique and the only game that offers fluent mass battles. No big company accomplished that before

• facesmashafacesmasha Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by facesmasha

It is top hyped since weeks and if you liked GW2 sieging you will love Darkfalls sieging about meaningful playercities

Ah I was going off the thread start date. Nm then hah.

Either way, I'll be checking it out for sure.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Originally posted by rush1984
    [mod edit]

Are you going to try it to see if it changes your mind?  That is the only way to do a "i told you so" when you fall in love with the game.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• n00baran00bara Member Posts: 79
    [mod edit]

at least 90% of people who considered darkfall and just tried it think it sucks. Rest 10% had the rush of their lives, especially on launch and we all hope for repeat of this! There is also sickness: darkfallness where you cant look at other MMORPGs because you are so biased by darkfall mechanics so you understand how rest of the MMOs are really crap. Fear not that I'm a fanboy because I can't wait for a day for some other company/game to deliver simmilar mechanics in a much nicer development enviorment!

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    [mod edit]

The first iteration of Darkfall lasted 3+ years, with a solid niche player base.  That was long enough for the developer, one Aventurine, SA, to fix things up and re-release the game as its own entity.

I've seen posts by people intending to come back to the game, and personally know quite a few (40 to 50ish) who are coming back.  The game might fail in your world, but not ours.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Unless you're not from the USA; then have a nice Thursday.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    [mod edit]

at least 90% of people who considered darkfall and just tried it think it sucks. Rest 10% had the rush of their lives,

500,000 tried , 150000 purchased = 30%

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    There seems to be an error here.  The game with top hype is already released.  I don't think a patch that fixes a few bugs, wipes everyone's progress, and alters the title is considered a game in development.
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    There seems to be an error here.  The game with top hype is already released.  I don't think a patch that fixes a few bugs, wipes everyone's progress, and alters the title is considered a game in development.

...and updates the graphics, revamps the UI, introduces all new land, completely changes the skill system, introduces a class system...hmm.

:P

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by RagnarokLoW
    there's actually more then 5000 people on 1 server? All of which without instance

up to 10k per server all at once with no instances.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

...and updates the graphics, revamps the UI, introduces all new land, completely changes the skill system, introduces a class system...hmm.

Ah so it isn't a patch.  An expansion.  So why is it listed as a game in development?

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

Ah so it isn't a patch.  An expansion.  So why is it listed as a game in development?

Lol, expansions don't wipe your character and introduce all new land while getting rid of all old land and completely change the gameplay :P What kind of games to do play where that would happen? :P ok ok, i won't feed troll anymore hehe.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

We're probably going to have to actually play DF:UW before we start referring to it as an expansion/patch/mild update/hey new launcher graphics or whatever tickles you the right way. Patience, bud. Patience.

Save the judgement for the right time.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb