Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happens if Xsyon Kickstart fails?

HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

"This project will only be funded if at least $250,000 is pledged by Tuesday Jan 1, 3:00am EST"

Comments

• psiicatpsiicat Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Hancakes

"This project will only be funded if at least $250,000 is pledged by Tuesday Jan 1, 3:00am EST"

rofl 250k seriously? omg I mean seriously? way better games than xyson only asked for 25-50k

You know when I first saw the post about them going kickstarter I was like yea ok good luck with that.  Now that I see he wants $250k I am like ok this is a joke or a con.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    "Meeting our minimum goal will allow us to double the size of our development team and greatly increase the speed and quality of production."   Isn't the current team much smaller than it once was?
  • psiicatpsiicat Member Posts: 29
    "Meeting our minimum goal will allow us to double the size of our development team and greatly increase the speed and quality of production."   Isn't the current team much smaller than it once was?

Blink.. wait wasn't the dev staff one person at one point?

Originally posted by psiicat

1-2.... But given the progress thus far and the lofty goals, they'd need a 10x + team expansion.  Everything came to a stand still while Jordi was traveling to pickup his new wife, so I'd guess the teams numbers 1 fulltime atm.

"I apologize for the delay in these answers. These past few months have been very hectic with the website move, setting up the trial server and preparations for the future of Xsyon. I have also had a lot to deal with personally with my wife's pending immigration to the US, the reason for my current travels."

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

to answer your question.

They do not get any money.

What that means for the studio i have no idea.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by tawess

to answer your question.

They do not get any money.

What that means for the studio i have no idea.

So its all or nothing?

• JproJpro Member Posts: 2

Yes, it's all or nothing.

This is everything I hoped it would be.... This is absolute GOLD.

Theres no way this isn't a joke. That ridiculous opening montage where he doesnt even introduce himself or his role; that horrible walking animation montage; those giant pink polygons that I guess are supposed to be bears; .no actual gameplay being shown; that mininum goal; those backing options; that copy+paste of the original feature list with zero detail; that ridiculous list of extra features beyond minimum goal; that list of excuses for the risks and challenges essay.

Considering the only sane backing option on that page is the $50 one, $250,000 / $50 = 5000 backers. He only needs increase his customer base 10 fold and Xsyon Apocalypse is a go! How on Earth is that the minimum?

If that is the wording of the kickstarter then yes.. it is a all or nothing deal... Hench the ONLY part of it.

But as i said i have no idea if that equals the company closing shop and start looking for work in telemarketing or if it just means that they will release stuff slower.

That you have to ask them.

to be honest it is not like you NEED 6 action bars... you get along very well with 4

Selling ress-bots in my mind is a lot worse...

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

so a game that already charges a sub to play, now wants kickstarter money

Blizzard announces WOW kickstarter for next expansion

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Its rather pathetic and sad, that money could be better spent on more viable projects.  Thats all the genre needs, every failed/struggling MMO looking for a hand out at the expense of others.

• MrDDTMrDDT Member UncommonPosts: 276

Its rather pathetic and sad, that money could be better spent on more viable projects.  Thats all the genre needs, every failed/struggling MMO looking for a hand out at the expense of others.

I see nothing wrong with having kickstarter on a project that's already going. Problem to me isnt that he put out the kickstarter its the plans of where Xsyon is going.

-MrDDT

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    they'll go free-to-play and sell action bars to finance the development.

Way to slide that in there /wink

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    If every two years he can get people to mail him 200k or more just to string them along on hopes and wishes for another two years, then more power to him.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Kickstarter does not investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. Backers ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.
    Kickstarter does not investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. Backers ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

Yep, we will see in 2 months just how many people decide to put up or shut up.

Lots of big talk on the forums about they will support, and how many people love PVE only worlds etc etc. Well, it will be pretty clear just how big that talk is when they decide to put $$$ where their faith is in Xsyon.

I myself will watch, after 5 months of no content, I believe its the best stance. I will support in any opinions and questions guides/devs have of me and my play experence.  [mod edit]

-MrDDT

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Its like saying " what if people put money into a trash can and let the garbage guy take it out". Thinking that this boat is going to keep afloat even though everything about the game sucks ,,, is just amazing
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    They would have carried on finishing the game without kickstarter.. but.. when in rome? Everyone else is doing the kickstarter thing (which I hate with a passion personally, but that's another topic) and getting free money so why shouldn't they? Might as well get a hand out from financial investors that don't expect a return on their financial investment if people are stupid enough to do it.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Vannor
    They would have carried on finishing the game without kickstarter.. but.. when in rome? Everyone else is doing the kickstarter thing (which I hate with a passion personally, but that's another topic) and getting free money so why shouldn't they? Might as well get a hand out from financial investors that don't expect a return on their financial investment if people are stupid enough to do it.

Personally I don't think kickstarter should be used to prop up failing games and companies.  Its like giving a gaming company a bailout with no payback required.  If they want their game to survive they should invest their own dollars or find investors that will hold them accountable.  I'm not here to give bad companies welfare, the whole idea is beyond stupid.  Kickstarter should be for true indies with a great idea/prototype that dont' have the means to get it done alone.

Originally posted by treysmooth

Personally I don't think kickstarter should be used to prop up failing games and companies.  Its like giving a gaming company a bailout with no payback required.  If they want their game to survive they should invest their own dollars or find investors that will hold them accountable.  I'm not here to give bad companies welfare, the whole idea is beyond stupid.  Kickstarter should be for true indies with a great idea/prototype that dont' have the means to get it done alone.

Well, its the players option to invest or not. I think personally, I wouldnt put money into something I didnt think had a fair chance at doing ok. But if you believe your money will be put to good use, I say invest/donate.

-MrDDT

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69
    There is no point trying to convince people to back or not. Either back the game or not, your choice.
  • PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45

Well, you guys don't wanna pay monthly fee's anymore, it all has to be F2P now. They need to get  money from you somehow, it is a business. You guys won't be happy until the whole MMO space disapears, then you'll br crying about it once it's gone. "Man, what happened to all the MMO's? Oh yeah, we sucked them all dry until there was nothing left."

I don't get you guys, cry because there a monthly sub, cry because it's F2P, then cry when they start a kickstarter campaign.

However, saying all that, I do agree that money should be spent on better things, BUT, it's not Dev's of Xyson fault. Even if there were better projects on Kickstarter, who would pledge? People are selfish these days, they would rather pledge towards something they can have, instead of pledging and helping someone else.

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by psiicat

1-2.... But given the progress thus far and the lofty goals, they'd need a 10x + team expansion.  Everything came to a stand still while Jordi was traveling to pickup his new wife, so I'd guess the teams numbers 1 fulltime atm.

"I apologize for the delay in these answers. These past few months have been very hectic with the website move, setting up the trial server and preparations for the future of Xsyon. I have also had a lot to deal with personally with my wife's pending immigration to the US, the reason for my current travels."

Really? 2 people? Well if this goes through and they double their development team to a whopping 4 people, at least the kickstarter will ensure they get their salary for next year.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by MrDDT
    Originally posted by treysmooth

Well, its the players option to invest or not. I think personally, I wouldnt put money into something I didnt think had a fair chance at doing ok. But if you believe your money will be put to good use, I say invest/donate.

I think the whole kickstarter concept is an insult to business and an insult to those that invest. I wish it would go away. Not only does it give undeserving people rediculous amounts of funding.. it is unfair to those that are investing.

In normal business anyone that invests has a stake in that project and continues to earn money back if it is successful. Sure, it's optional to invest on kickstarter.. investing has always been optional.. but people are only willingly doing so in this way because they havn't seen the light.. these are naive investors that don't realise they 'should' be intitled to proper investments laws, procedures and regulations. It skips the laws because they use the word 'donate'. Any decent company would, and should be made to, give investors a return on their investment in the real world; give money back.. not some crappy virtual items or your name on an ingame monument. Investors are entitled to it. In this situation, donate is world's away from what they are really doing. You donate to charities or non profit companies (like freeware software developers).. you invest in companies that use your money to make money.

250k.. That's life changing cash! They might get it for absolutely nothing and then use it to make even MORE money for themselves. It should be making money for those that gave it AND those that use it. It's a joke....

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Phlacc

Well, you guys don't wanna pay monthly fee's anymore, it all has to be F2P now. They need to get  money from you somehow, it is a business. You guys won't be happy until the whole MMO space disapears, then you'll br crying about it once it's gone. "Man, what happened to all the MMO's? Oh yeah, we sucked them all dry until there was nothing left."

I don't get you guys, cry because there a monthly sub, cry because it's F2P, then cry when they start a kickstarter campaign.

What the hell are you talking about?  Xsyon charges monthly and I've never said anything about F2P.