Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] WildStar: The Ravaging of Arboria

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Carbine Studios has partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers an exclusive WildStar Wednesday. In today's WW, The Ravaging of Arboria, Narrative Designer Constance Griffith walks us through the Dominion's first steps on Arboria. Check it out and leave us your thoughts in the comments.

For thousands of years, the Aurin lived simple lives on the forest world of Arboria. Having developed a symbiotic relationship with the trees of their homeworld, the Aurin were fierce and agile hunters that protected Arboria's forests and the creatures that lived within them. Led by an unbroken line of queens that communed directly with the ancient and powerful Mother Tree, the Aurin enjoyed an idyllic existence in their hidden paradise on the edge of the Fringe.

Read more of Constance Griffith's WildStar Wednesday: The Ravaging of Arboria.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

"Carbine Studios has partnered with MMORPG.com" means you got money for hyping the game, so in future i should avoind MMORPG.com cause everything you post it will be well controlled.

I hope Wild Star will be a good game and cant wait for it but no way I will follow it on this "sell out web site", you guys are disgrace for gaming comunity.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Why am I thinking Star Wars meets Avatar? Anyway, sounds interesting enough. I just hope not everyone is the hero whilst playing the game, got kinda tired of that...

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by koljane

"Carbine Studios has partnered with MMORPG.com" means you got money for hyping the game, so in future i should avoind MMORPG.com cause everything you post it will be well controlled.

I hope Wild Star will be a good game and cant wait for it but no way I will follow it on this "sell out web site", you guys are disgrace for gaming comunity.

Actually, you're just plain wrong. NCsoft asked us if we'd like to run it with an hour or two lead ahead of the official site and we said yes.  No money changed hands, they just assumed we'd get it in front of more eyes than the official site (which is true right now).  And as its an exclusive that no one else has on an upcoming game, I'm not going to turn it down either.

Partner =/= money. 

Partner = help with something (in this case, getting the word out on a cool lore story we thought you'd enjoy)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Originally posted by Freezzo
    Why am I thinking Star Wars meets Avatar? Anyway, sounds interesting enough. I just hope not everyone is the hero whilst playing the game, got kinda tired of that...

I don't think that'll be the case too much here.  I get the feeling that the story is presented in the overworld and the "heroes" are the people as a group.  At least I hope so.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• GXRrangerGXRranger Member UncommonPosts: 42

I am hyped on this one, hope they offer close toe shoes though.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    No need to defend yourself Bill, just a troll.  Nothing wrong with the website making money. : p
  • JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

Nice lore there. Thanks for posting it Bill.

I will determine my own hype level, for all games, and this game is certainly on my radar. I hope to hear more.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Actually, you're just plain wrong. NCsoft asked us if we'd like to run it with an hour or two lead ahead of the official site and we said yes.  No money changed hands, they just assumed we'd get it in front of more eyes than the official site (which is true right now).  And as its an exclusive that no one else has on an upcoming game, I'm not going to turn it down either.

Partner =/= money. 

Partner = help with something (in this case, getting the word out on a cool lore story we thought you'd enjoy)

If we were in a perfect world I might say yes and agree with you. But we don't. And if NCSoft wanted to get this infront of as many people as possible they would have given it to say IGN or maybe even Massivley.  And considering NCSofts track record I wouldn't put it past them to throw the bribes out there for future positive reviews/advertising and forum monitoring.

Not saying that's the case, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• NimerosNimeros Member Posts: 14
    [mod edit]. Thanks Bill!

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Sounds cool. Though I'm not really a story/lore kinda guy. Eager to see how the gameplay feels in WildStar. I really dig the art style.
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    If we were in a perfect world I might say yes and agree with you. But we don't. And if NCSoft wanted to get this infront of as many people as possible they would have given it to say IGN or maybe even Massivley.  And considering NCSofts track record I wouldn't put it past them to throw the bribes out there for future positive reviews/advertising and forum monitoring.

Generally, what we've come to see with sites like ours that are dedicated to a certain type of game, is that pieces of information which are best suited to the hardcore players of a genre, are disseminated through sites like ours.  Meanwhile big overarching previews are done at places like IGN and Gamespot.  

My Review Manifesto

• VirrukVirruk Member UncommonPosts: 8
    lol, what is everyones deal today? Cool post. This game looks very interesting.
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Good read though. I am getting the feeling that there are some really jaded people in here that can't take any information with a grain of salt. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Partner =/= money. 

Cool Story Bro !

• TheGodzirraTheGodzirra Member Posts: 1
    I dont need lore, I need beta keys. Beta Key or gtfo

• psiicatpsiicat Member Posts: 29
    I can not help it and those who know me know I hate when people say this but with the pic you have here with those pointy ears and blue hair... cough WoW clone..
  • psiicatpsiicat Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Good read though. I am getting the feeling that there are some really jaded people in here that can't take any information with a grain of salt. 

Well after some of the things the staff have pulled here and flat out stated in the past everyone should be jaded. Granted not every review they post is fabricated BS, but every one of them should be taken with that grain of salt.

On a positive... err correction.. on a side note., ALL media outlets are biased and corrupt, doesn't matter the content, none of them have journalistic integrity any more.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by psiicat
    I can not help it and those who know me know I hate when people say this but with the pic you have here with those pointy ears and blue hair... cough WoW clone..

The art and bright colors sure made me think that on first impression also.....

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    [mod edit]
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Well I can see why some people are jaded, every big name MMO has had awesome reviews, where the game is the most amazing thing ever.  And they turn out to be a big peice of turd.

Wildstar like all MMOs say this game will be amazing and have all these awesome  features , fun combat and a fun world..but we will see.

This looks very themepark, and lets face it, they are not doing well, a complete world, with complete towns , where everything is already built just means boredom in 1 month.

We need an MMO where we build the world and fight off the bad guys.

• PC_FerretPC_Ferret Member UncommonPosts: 49
    OK... Are the Aurins the purple bunny people?
  • NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    What started as a sandbox MMO has rapidly had the sand shoveled out of it over the last year or so. Now it's turning themepark, and I can't help but wonder if Nexon buying a big chunk of them has had an impact.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Arboria = Wildstar

Arborea = TERA

Don't mix them up folks!

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Arboria = Wildstar

Arborea = TERA

Don't mix them up folks!

Both were made by NCsoft people.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Arboria = Wildstar

Arborea = TERA

Don't mix them up folks!

Both were made by NCsoft people.

They could have at least tried to be creative...