Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IMO its just NOT mmorpg, i believe all video game is dying

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

I dont truly think its just the mmorpg genre that sucks in a whole, I think DEVS have themselves in a bad spot, they are too focused on graphics than gameplay, some of the best games of our time had little focus on graphics and more focus on gameplay. Why do you think the final fantasy games, the resident evil games are all sucking currently, they are focusing way to much on cutscenes and graphics, making gaming today more of an interactive cinematic experience rather than an actual game, gone are storylines, gone are days when people had hard gameplay and actually were frustrated, spending days on a level or area trying to figure out what to do next.

Sadly I think gaming is at a place right now where I dont see too much recovery, I mean look at games today, there are no more tradtional rpgs, no more thinking mans games, next gen systems WIIU, PS4, XBOX 720 there will be no more rpgs we know it, and action/adventure games will just be an interactive cinema.

Gaming is on life support and no one wants to be the one to pull the plug.

Comments

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Yet people are still spending massive amounts of money on games.  Didn't Black Ops II just break a record for money earned?

I think most people by games that are quick to learn and quick to finish.  Probably because they have other things to do rather than spending a bunch of time on a single game.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Yet people are still spending massive amounts of money on games.  Didn't Black Ops II just break a record for money earned?

I think most people by games that are quick to learn and quick to finish.  Probably because they have other things to do rather than spending a bunch of time on a single game.

gaming sales in a whole were down 24% more than compared to last year.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by nomatics856

And the market has imploded several times before.

Doom failed to occur.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Having half the information is worse than having no information.  Mobile, web and F2P gaming has no box or client sale. All three of those are up.

Using box sales to ring the death bells for video games is like using cassette sales to prove music is dying.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Technology advances so much faster these days than ideas.

There used to be universes in floppy disks, its just amazing what happened and what didnt happen.

Let's internet

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@OP

Nah when talking about single player games and maybe even non-mmo multuplayer's or co-op's it is not that bad. Well of course recent games from EA or Activisoion are usually bad or medicore (ME, DA, Swtor, CoD, etc) but there are many other games that are good.   Just mmorpg generally are crap nowadays.

Actually there are some great single player tiltes either relatively recently released or in production.

Want in example "traditional" single rpg?    Divinity : Orginal Sin, Chaos Chronicles, Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Project:Eternity 

All those will be released propably in 1-2 years.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Using box sales to ring the death bells for video games is like using cassette sales to prove music is dying.

Really couldn't be said much better.   ^

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

i think i heard thi thing for the first time around -98 -99... So that must be the slowest death in history.

Is the game market changing... Yes but in a ironic twist we are comming full circle as games become more  and more uncomplicated and cheaper to produce(apart form some big budget titles). But i don't think it is dying, just waiting for the next big thing to hit and since motion toys have turned out to be a complete flop (outside of "party-games" and home workout.) i think the market at large is taking a measure of browser games and waiting for the next tech-thing(it is a scientific term.. =P).

This have been a good conversation

One more thing. 

Want innovation in combat system & physics?

Check and help fund this one.  Watch videos :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis?ref=category

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    You're just mad the video games are not catered to your needs.

Life must be really rough to pick anything up to keep yourselves entertained.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Sorry i don't crowd fund any more. Way to much stuff goes vapor ware or never materialize for me to bother.

This have been a good conversation

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I wish they stopped with the FPS a bit on consoles.

I know, they make money, but at the same time I believe they are pushing potential players away. Console didn't used to have FPS, it wasn't because they couldn't do it, there were 2 FPS on the 16 bit sega console, but there were so many genres and different games that 2 was enough.

Now, every other game is an FPS, I'm amazed FPS haven't outright killed consoles by now. They're not even releasing fun FPS like Unreal Tournament used to be,  no it's military shooter after military shooter. I wonder how long it will be before people had enough.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Gaming went mainstream.  Nothing to do with the gamer crowd.  Majority of people playing games these days probably look down their noses at anybody who ever thought D&D was fun. 
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The Mass Effect series, despite the (what I consider) terrible ending, is a whole hell of a lot better of a game (series) than Dragon Quest 1 and Zelda 1 on my NES back in the day.

I don't subscribe to your "games were so much better back in the day" theory.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The Mass Effect series, despite the (what I consider) terrible ending, is a whole hell of a lot better of a game (series) than Dragon Quest 1 and Zelda 1 on my NES back in the day.

I agree.  Nostalgia does terrible things to people....

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    It's not video games that are dying, it's consoles. Check out mobile game sales before you talk about the "end of gaming".

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Ditto.  The market is changing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I dont truly think its just the mmorpg genre that sucks in a whole, I think DEVS have themselves in a bad spot, they are too focused on graphics than gameplay, some of the best games of our time had little focus on graphics and more focus on gameplay. Why do you think the final fantasy games, the resident evil games are all sucking currently, they are focusing way to much on cutscenes and graphics, making gaming today more of an interactive cinematic experience rather than an actual game, gone are storylines, gone are days when people had hard gameplay and actually were frustrated, spending days on a level or area trying to figure out what to do next.

Sadly I think gaming is at a place right now where I dont see too much recovery, I mean look at games today, there are no more tradtional rpgs, no more thinking mans games, next gen systems WIIU, PS4, XBOX 720 there will be no more rpgs we know it, and action/adventure games will just be an interactive cinema.

Yeah, Black Ops II, I mean what are they gonna do? Such a flop...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

EVERY...SINGLE...TIME...

Every single time we go 4 or more years without a new main console(not hand-held) you guys come out of the woodwork.

Right before the release of the Genisis, OMG gaming is dieing.

Right before the release of the Dreamcast & PS1....OMG gaming is dieing.

Right before PS2 and XBOX...OMG teh death is cominz...

EVERY....SINGLE...TIME...

Why? Because sales drop when systems become old and the games stop being innovating.

p.s. ZOMG THE SKYSSS falin.

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

Maybe you could check out actual stats before posting your opinion?

Here are some actual Facts you could take a look at that might turn your opinion around.

Industry Facts

America's entertainment software industry creates a wide array of computer and video games to meet the demands and tastes of audiences as diverse as our nation's population. Today's gamers include millions of Americans of all ages and backgrounds. This vast audience fuels the growth of this multi-billion dollar industry and helps bring jobs to communities across the nation. Below is a list of the top 10 entertainment software industry facts:

1. Consumers spent $24.75 billion on video games, hardware and accessories in 2011.
    2. Purchases of digital content accounted for 31 percent of game sales in 2011, generating $7.3 billion in revenue.
    3. The average U.S. household owns at least one dedicated game console, PC or smartphone.
    4. The average game player is 30 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
    5. The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 35 years old.
    6. Forty-seven percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent).
    7. Sixty-two percent of gamers play games with others, either in-person or online.
    8. Thirty-three percent of gamers play games on their smartphones, and 25 percent play games on their handheld device.
    9. Seventy-three percent of all games sold in 2011 were rated "E" for Everyone, "T" for Teen, or "E10+" for Everyone 10+. For more information on game ratings, please see www.esrb.org.
    10. Parents are present when games are purchased or rented 90 percent of the time.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Yes it is OP! Here is the reason way. Games today do not meet the actual definition of what a game is. Go ahead look it up! Just like MMOs don't meet the defintion of a MMO yet we keep calling these games MMOs. The games have de-evolved back to the '80s simple easy games with no true depth.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    The games have de-evolved back to the '80s simple easy games with no true depth.

Hmm, yep good guess, first official videogame 'crash' was in '83.  But the was mostly because the majority of the eggs were riding in a single basket.

http://classicgames.about.com/od/history/tp/History-of-Video-Games-Part-4.htm

Prophets of doom begin predictions just about yearly, from that point forward. 

The market does many coaster rides, but not in accordance with the Junior Nostradamus Corps predictions.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Old is not always better.  New is also not always better.  Kinda obvious.   Don't know about Zelda or DQ as I have not played them but personally I would not use Mass Effect series as example of good games.   They are not very good. Some things about them (not telling about ending here) are even poor, but that's of course dependant on a taste.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    You just don't dont like mainstream games. Games are not dying, there's more games made then ever before. Indie games are the hope.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Icewhite

And the market has imploded several times before.

Doom failed to occur.

Agreed.  And I know where the ET Atari 2600 cartridges are buried...