Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People DO want sandbox not cut scenes and stunning graphics

2»

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Best thing about my Minecraft server is that it's MY sandbox, not yours.

When I build a massive structure and surround it in lava waterfalls, spending hours doing so (real men play survival mode only lol), I know when I log back in it will still be there.

pretty much "this".

Op, you have to think a bit. There is a difference in people building and creating and people building nad creating and having to put up with others.

All it proves is that people enjoy creating. But newsflash, "building blocks", legos, tinkertoys, erector sets, etc have been strong sellers for years. Minecraft just allows for a more advanced version of these games that appeal more to adults.

The difference is that the experience is more varied when there are others involved in the same activity. The reference to someone knocking down the castle when I'm offline tells me that person should stick to single-player games (not the subject of this site) for that experience.

If you have no interface with other players at all, why bother playing an MMO? A singleplayer game will surely have better graphics, events tailored to you, etc.  And you won't have to worry about other players looking at your activities.

"which" is why there is s difference between minecraft's success and transferring that success to a sandbox mmo.

Thanks for supporting the point.

That there is a difference between to two is self evident, you didn't need me for that. Also, I just noticed that your response was to Badspock's quote, yet you addressed the OP. Perhaps I misread your intention. Are you saying that Sandbox MMOs are bad while single player Sandbox is good? Or are you saying that People do not want sandbox with stunning graphics and cutscenes?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Here id the conundrum. Yes I absolutely believe almost everyone wants a game where they can effect the world. (Affect, effect? Hmm). However I also firmly believe almost no one wants a game where their eirk effort and gameplay can be significantly affected by someone else

In a gamr that let's you affect things and people those dichotomies are hard to rationalize togetherness.

I think this post makes sense. Without the ability to affect the world you just run around the track. The problem comes with how much my actioins will affect your actions as applied to the world. In order to effect the creation of a world like this there needs to be several layers of access: Personal, Public, and PvP (Access should be controlled by the player IMO).

So as an example I build a statue in my workshop (Personal), I put it in the town square so others see it (Public), I flag it for PvP by mounting guns on the statue (PvP). At any time I should be able to move through these levels.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Being able to set access would work for me.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by greg4096

Look at the success of Minecraft.

If that was a MMORPG it would have beaten all the others.

The new generation just needs to be introduced to a good game.

I knew this would be about Minecraft.  I always use the high res textures for minecraft myself.  Still nothing special in graphics even after that though.

I haven't heard of any real way to take the fun I have in minecraft and put it into a multiplayer environment.  People either would destroy/steal my stuff or gank me.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Play Minecraft on a server with 100 people that you don't know and then get back to us on that one.

This.

Single-player gamers =/= MMO gamers

^ If that were true we wouldn't have MMORPG's at all. Considering the first MMORPG, was just an extension of what they thought Single Player RPG gamers would like. Oh and hey guess what...it was a sandbox. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Spider3Spider3 Member Posts: 33

Everyone is right..why can't we have sandbox AND graphic?

Well they are working on it. Because they realised there are a growing number of people asking for sandbox, so there is a good opportunity to make cash.

Well NOT enough people then. Look at the upcoming games, started as "we are going to create the best sandbox ever" and then slowly glitching to hybrid. (Archeage, EQ:N, PFO,..).

I stick with Greed Monger since it's the sandbox that should appear sooner than the other and not pointing in the direction of becoming an hybrid. And graphic is amazing imo.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I knew this would be about Minecraft.  I always use the high res textures for minecraft myself.  Still nothing special in graphics even after that though.

I haven't heard of any real way to take the fun I have in minecraft and put it into a multiplayer environment.  People either would destroy/steal my stuff or gank me.

http://www.aceofspades.com/

Edit:Now you have :p

Edit2: and theres plenty in development like for example http://mythruna.com/

Let's internet

Originally posted by Vunak23

Play Minecraft on a server with 100 people that you don't know and then get back to us on that one.

This.

^ If that were true we wouldn't have MMORPG's at all. Considering the first MMORPG, was just an extension of what they thought Single Player RPG gamers would like. Oh and hey guess what...it was a sandbox. 

Your only partially right.  Yes the first MMO's were just an extension of how they thought spg, or diku or pnp games would play.  However that only lasted till the first day.  On the 2nd day/week/month they realized that mutiplayer games do not play or equal to single player games.

UO started with a pretty interesting mob spawn distribution system I heard, then people killed all the mobs in an area. They want to what we now consider traditional spawns.  I"m told you also used to be able to place any object anywhere.  People blocked people from accessing needed buildings.  They removed that.

EQ teams deliberately prevented other players from commencing through planes/raids by camping mobs needed for keys even though they allready had them.  Welcome to phasing and instancing.

So no a single player game does not equal MMO games. and sp gamers do not necessarily equal MMOgamers

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins Originally posted by greg4096 Look at the success of Minecraft. If that was a MMORPG it would have beaten all the others. The new generation just needs to be introduced to a good game.
    I knew this would be about Minecraft.  I always use the high res textures for minecraft myself.  Still nothing special in graphics even after that though.   I haven't heard of any real way to take the fun I have in minecraft and put it into a multiplayer environment.  People either would destroy/steal my stuff or gank me.
    http://www.aceofspades.com/

Edit:Now you have :p

Edit2: and theres plenty in development like for example http://mythruna.com/

Ace of Spades is an FPS. Like Team Fortress, but with blocks. That's totally not the same thing.

Mythruna might be, but it remains to be seen whether it'll be an massive game or a game on the scale of Minecraft. He has both public and private servers so I'm not sure what his intended goal is. It appears to be Minecraft, but with a heavy RPG element.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

This.

Your only partially right.  Yes the first MMO's were just an extension of how they thought spg, or diku or pnp games would play.  However that only lasted till the first day.  On the 2nd day/week/month they realized that mutiplayer games do not play or equal to single player games.

UO started with a pretty interesting mob spawn distribution system I heard, then people killed all the mobs in an area. They want to what we now consider traditional spawns.  I"m told you also used to be able to place any object anywhere.  People blocked people from accessing needed buildings.  They removed that.

EQ teams deliberately prevented other players from commencing through planes/raids by camping mobs needed for keys even though they allready had them.  Welcome to phasing and instancing.

So no a single player game does not equal MMO games. and sp gamers do not necessarily equal MMOgamers

They adapted there game to fit the games mechanics they made. That doesn't change the fact that a minecraft style game wouldn't succeed in the MMO space or that the changes that were made to certain games, were even needed considering a lot of people liked the original UO.  You just dug way to deep into the meaning of my post. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

This.

They adapted there game to fit the games mechanics they made. That doesn't change the fact that a minecraft style game wouldn't succeed in the MMO space or that the changes that were made to certain games, were even needed considering a lot of people liked the original UO.  You just dug way to deep into the meaning of my post. 

They didn't just adapt their game to fit the mechanics, the mechanics were allready there.  They are adapted their game in response to the players actions.

A minecraft MMO would have to be significantly altered (from it's normal use anyway)  in order to accomodate a much larger userbase. 

Single player game mechanics do not necessarily work in an MMO.  That is the point.  The original games proved this by changing their mechanics.

edit - it is not a fact that minecraft game would succeed in the MMO space.  It is a fact that the devs of original UO did feel the changes were needed.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I'm nto sure if I want a sandbox or not...Depends on whether it is FFA PVP or not (hopefully not)......I DO know that I do not want voice acting, cutscenes, and dont care abotu stunning graphics in a MMO.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

1 or 2 games does a trend not make.  Look at the money themepark games are making, and it tells you that people want graphics and scenes.

There seems to be a vocal group who wants the sandbox, but their money isn't enough to bring in the big guns.  But here's hoping.  I'm looking forward to trying a couple SB games on the horizon.

I self identify as a monkey.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Goonies will plague us forever...   Its because of them that we can't have nice sand box games... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."