Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They Shut Down the 11,000 Post Thread

Comments

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Timzilla

Don't they have a "Gameplay subject to change" statement in their EULA like most mmos do?

Probably! However that doesn't mean it is always a good idea for a big change, especially after such a short period since launch. You know, don't go rocking the boat and all that. image

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    from what I saw and know most ascended gear will work well for fractal new dungeon and that is for high lvl of that dungeon run, exotic for all else will work better, since we can't use runes on ascended gear and only upgrade on ascended I saw was for the bosses on high lvl run, and the ascended I saw too have too many crapp stats who will not help on the build i'm using, maybe when someone have the full ascended gear done for we can see the diference, but from waht  saw for less tehn 10 points on gear that will not make any diference in any gameplay you do, unless you are a min/max player and most of time the one who are that don't complain because they are too busy playing 16 hours a day
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

Don't they have a "Gameplay subject to change" statement in their EULA like most mmos do?

Probably! However that doesn't mean it is always a good idea for a big change, especially after such a short period since launch. You know, don't go rocking the boat and all that. image

ntw is not a big change, can't even say its a change, just new items on with only one map new

Originally posted by alkarionlog

ntw is not a big change, can't even say its a change, just new items on with only one map new

I've never heard of a 3-month old game adding a brand new tier of gear within 3 months of release... even coming from MMOs that are really driven by gear acquisition. Don't be dismissive. It's a significant change. Some welcome it, some don't. Personal feeling aside, I've never seen such a change so early in a game's life.

• VeryDustyVeryDusty Member Posts: 53

I've never heard of a 3-month old game adding a brand new tier of gear within 3 months of release... even coming from MMOs that are really driven by gear acquisition. Don't be dismissive. It's a significant change. Some welcome it, some don't. Personal feeling aside, I've never seen such a change so early in a game's life.

Exactly - people wanted more and they are getting more. Now that it has happened, people are saying it is not what they wanted.

I give A.Net Kudos for trying something - anything for that matter.

thta si the thing people crying is saying it a new tier, I can't even see it being a new tier, you call it a new carrot for you to follow if you want the new gear be it by skin or so, but say about a gear who can be only usefull on the dungeon you need to run, with is optional, even though I think this new dungeon was bad implemented, a new tier is too much, everyone is saying such and such but no one who complain posted any table with values of the new gear with the lvl 80 exotics, I know they are saying for a long time now the legendary gear will have better stats to make up for the difficult to get then, but the one I would get who would be the rifle would make me lose damage because his stats are not good.

but till I see both gear on my hands and check they values and waht we can put of then I will not go with this histeria, most are crying for the sake of crying.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by killion81
    The debate in this thread is becoming quite circular and the discussion has now run its course.

Unless your name is Bobby Kotick, you don't have to put up with perpetual tub-thumpers.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

thta si the thing people crying is saying it a new tier, I can't even see it being a new tier, you call it a new carrot for you to follow if you want the new gear be it by skin or so, but say about a gear who can be only usefull on the dungeon you need to run, with is optional, even though I think this new dungeon was bad implemented, a new tier is too much, everyone is saying such and such but no one who complain posted any table with values of the new gear with the lvl 80 exotics, I know they are saying for a long time now the legendary gear will have better stats to make up for the difficult to get then, but the one I would get who would be the rifle would make me lose damage because his stats are not good.

but till I see both gear on my hands and check they values and waht we can put of then I will not go with this histeria, most are crying for the sake of crying.

Learn to read. The game did a big change after 3 months. All I said was to not be dismissive about it as it is a departure from the original design. Instead you go off on this retarded tangent.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Meleagar

ANET didn't even respond in it to any of the issues/grievances.  No explanations, no reasoning, no assurances, nothing. Just shut it down, and at the same time I was temporarily suspended from the forum. I wonder how many other contributors to that thread were suspended from the forums?

I don't care who you are or how you feel about ascended, when a developer just won't respond to a 11,000 post thread with over 135,000 views showing no signs of ending and then just shuts it down, that just isn't right.

Whats new? The ban hammer is how Anet fixes stuff. Don't like our new content tough deal with it. Don't like our direction deal with it. Oh wait we may lose customers send out a survey to show we care. Pile in ladies and gents heading to the bar, first round is on me says Jimbo from customer relations.

Learn to read. The game did a big change after 3 months. All I said was to not be dismissive about it as it is a departure from the original design. Instead you go off on this retarded tangent.

name calling now huh? I would say the same to you, do you even play it? I didn't see any change other then some things like a new pvp daily and monthly, some class balance, and the new mobs and items, but still don't see any value on the new gear, do you have then? then please post then, you say it a retarded tangent, just because I disagree with the crying comments for now and you guys can't prove so.... for now is just hear say want have something to complain about prove.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

name calling now huh? I would say the same to you, do you even play it? I didn't see any change other then some things like a new pvp daily and monthly, some class balance, and the new mobs and items, but still don't see any value on the new gear, do you have then? then please post then, you say it a retarded tangent, just because I disagree with the crying comments for now and you guys can't prove so.... for now is just hear say want have something to complain about prove.

The reason all gamers should be concerned and get involved - even if you don't care about GW2 in particular - is because Nexon and monetization groups like them are turning the entire industry into a pay-to-win scheme where you can't trust any developer.  Nexus/NCSoft are now looking to buy Valve. 

The reason all gamers should be concerned and get involved - even if you don't care about GW2 in particular - is because Nexon and monetization groups like them are turning the entire industry into a pay-to-win scheme where you can't trust any developer.  Nexus/NCSoft are now looking to buy Valve. 

then do like I did on most company, don't spend a dime on sony and nexon, most complain but are the first to spend money on then because they want to have the advantage over others and then psot things like "how they will make money?" pretty much the player want to be made of fools and we can't save people from thenselfs

• XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93
    That's a reason why I wait before buying a game, no matter how hyped it is (I'm looking at you SWTOR). As for customer support, only 2 good companies come up to mind for me: Valve(well common sense) and CCP(Their devs are so dedicated to the point of hanging out with players in a regular basis).
  • UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Xsonic
    That's a reason why I wait before buying a game, no matter how hyped it is (I'm looking at you SWTOR). As for customer support, only 2 good companies come up to mind for me: Valve(well common sense) and CCP(Their devs are so dedicated to the point of hanging out with players in a regular basis).

I tend to be the same and after being burned by SWTOR (big club, we should have jackets made) and originally being ambivalent about GW2, when the acquisition was originally announced, I and several friends said, "Well, ANY remaining interest I had in playing GW2 just DIED". However, I once again decided to trust a company who has a stellar track record. Back when they were doing the various betas, every forum or website I read up on was populated by people who were praising how responsive to the community ANet was. My group of friends and I asked ourselves if maybe we were being a little ridiculous and we decided to give GW2 a chance.

It's a good game and there's a lot to like about it. However, it is NOT the next-gen MMORPG we all thought it would be (this is a big club too) and it certainly has holes. There's a LOT I don't like  about GW2 and right now, pretty much the only reason I keep playing is a) there's no subscription b) I found a guild populated with nice people that seem to share my sense of humor and ingame objectives and c) there's really NOTHING else out there for me**. None of these are actually really good reasons to stick with something you're not enjoying and I don't really like the direction I'm seeing ANet go. While adding an additional tier or a new dungeon in and of itself doesn't really upset me, I *DO* feel ANet is going back on what they claim is their vision for the game if not their actualy word outright.

**I HAVE reactivated my Eve Online account.

Again, you don't get it. It has absolutely nothing to do with my personal opinion on the changes. There really isn't any point arguing it even. The game's philosophy changed this patch. It's not even debatable!

• VeryDustyVeryDusty Member Posts: 53

Again, you don't get it. It has absolutely nothing to do with my personal opinion on the changes. There really isn't any point arguing it even. The game's philosophy changed this patch. It's not even debatable!

It is debatable - you say they changed, A.Net says they haven't. That is a debate.

Originally posted by VeryDusty

It is debatable - you say they changed, A.Net says they haven't. That is a debate.

Right, because ANET said it, must be true. image

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

ANet wants to unseat WoW as the number 1 MMO. That is a documented and stated goal of theirs. In hindsight, this change in design philosophy was guaranteed to happen sooner rather than later.

I understand why people feel duped, but I also think that this is a healthy change for the game. I've always been of the opinion that there MUST be some type of advancement after reaching max level. Whether that's AAs, Gear upgrades, or some other type of progression, there simply has to be a reason to keep playing. Looking around for new outfits to wear is not enough.

"It is debatable - you say they changed, A.Net says they haven't. That is a debate."

Arenanet has not said that their philosophy didn't change. They never answered the question. Colin Johanson has been utterly silent during this entire situation. Saying that it is not their intent to create a gear treadmill is not the same as saying they did not create a gear treadmill.  Saying that they have no intent to trot out new armors every 3 months is not saying that they will not ever trot out new armor stat tiers.  And none of what they said contradicts Linsey's post that this is the beginning of an "item progression initiative", where even if you aren't treadmilling gear, we know that for the time being you *will* be treadmilling tiers of infusions to put in the new gear.

Even if  you can look away and not see Ascended gear for what it is, the fact is that there is now a stat grind for tiers of infusions because infusions add regular stats in addition to the agony metric, and there are many levels of infusions. And this is just the beginning of their "item progression initiative" for "high end" players and their new "endgame mechanic" - which is another ANET philosphy ditched: "the whole game is the end game".

NCSoft sold ANET and GW2 out to Nexon in order to secure their 15% stock investment. Stop denying this is what happened and wake up and smell the coffee. Stop defending and apologizing for a company that clearly stabbed it's loyal customer base in the back. Nexon/NCSoft is now setting their sights on Valve. This is why this is more important than GW2 fanbois vs non-fanbois. They're slowly destroying the genre and will soon be invading stand-alone PC and console games.

• ZaqirZaqir Member UncommonPosts: 55

I have no idea why people are so up in arms over "new gear"

People seem so self entitled for nothing these days and don't look at the big picture.

1)This is hardly a gate/gear thing. Anet RESPONDED saying it is not something they will do often

2)People are so up in arms about them changing a philosophy and act as if they were betrayed in some grand scheme. For Stats? For Gear? What is next? If they add a new dungeon should you automatically have enough tokens since farming for new tokens to get the looks is a form of gating? Pathetic.

3)The one time event, people are upset they missed it. What a bunch of cry baby children, we all don't get what we want in life, we all don't DESERVE things other people get. What if 1 server failed the event would they be given the chest? Should they?

4)This is NOT your game, you don't own anything about it other then you purchased the right to play it. Think of it as buying a ticket to disneyland, you don't get to visit ALL the rides, if a special show takes place last week you don't get to go and DEMAND the show to be held on the weekend you attend etc.

Originally posted by rygard49

ANet wants to unseat WoW as the number 1 MMO. That is a documented and stated goal of theirs. In hindsight, this change in design philosophy was guaranteed to happen sooner rather than later.

I understand why people feel duped, but I also think that this is a healthy change for the game. I've always been of the opinion that there MUST be some type of advancement after reaching max level. Whether that's AAs, Gear upgrades, or some other type of progression, there simply has to be a reason to keep playing. Looking around for new outfits to wear is not enough.

So you believe turning the game into Pay-To-Win is a healthy change?  This is what you end game gear-grinders don't get about what happened in GW2. You've always been able to buy exotics with real money, but it didn't matter because exotics were relatively easy to get for everyone.  You could grind for skins unique to certain dungeons or efforts.  Now there is a never-ending stat grind (at least with infusions) that you can either do a massive, massive grind for, or you can just wait until farmers put that stuff up in the Trading Post and buy it with real cash.

Before, GW2 wasn't "pay to win" precisely because there was nothing to "win" - stats were capped at a relatively easy mark. Now, with the gear grind, you either pay to stay up or grind your butt off - is that really the way you want it, even as a hardcore gamer? Grinding your butt off while some other guy with money to burn just buys top end gear off the TP?

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Gamers these days have no idea what a grind is. This "grind" for Ascended is non-existant. Grind in the old days of MMOs was hundreds of hours, to get your first Ascended ring, all you have to do is get to difficulty 10, takes about 10-15 hours tops. And once there, you can get an Ascended item about every 2-3 hours. I wouldnt call that a grind at all. And right now its only rings youre going for. The back is nice, but isnt required and only needs the mats. If you have the money, fine, craft it. If you dont, no worries, you dont need it. 

Gamers today are way too soft. You would never have survived pre-WoW gaming.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by rygard49

So you believe turning the game into Pay-To-Win is a healthy change?  This is what you end game gear-grinders don't get about what happened in GW2. You've always been able to buy exotics with real money, but it didn't matter because exotics were relatively easy to get for everyone.  You could grind for skins unique to certain dungeons or efforts.  Now there is a never-ending stat grind (at least with infusions) that you can either do a massive, massive grind for, or you can just wait until farmers put that stuff up in the Trading Post and buy it with real cash.

Before, GW2 wasn't "pay to win" precisely because there was nothing to "win" - stats were capped at a relatively easy mark. Now, with the gear grind, you either pay to stay up or grind your butt off - is that really the way you want it, even as a hardcore gamer? Grinding your butt off while some other guy with money to burn just buys top end gear off the TP?

I have yet to see pay to win via ascended gear. In order to even obtain it you have to do the new Fractal dungeon at the minimum. There is no way for someone to just out right buy ascended gear like you can with exotics. So no. There hasn't been a pay to win as of yet.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I've noticed a wierd trend that people who are banned on other sites, come to mmorpg, and start complaining.  It could be legit grievences that need to be aired and mmorpg is a good place, or it's sour grapes and if I get banned, everyone is gonna hear about it, and make the banner (haha) suffer.

I'm not sure what the case is here, so don't get all worked up.  I just notice a lot of threads that start out with "I got banned because they didn't like what I said....."  Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea, I hope.

I self identify as a monkey.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i usually go out of my way to make insults to the blind fans of this game because in the past nothing at all could be done wrong by anet but for ONCE i actually agree with most of them here. The shear amount of crying going on by casual gamers that their beloved game just added one more tier of gear which is perfectly stated in his response that it stops below legendary , which was already in game is just stupid and shows the entitlement generation here perfectly.

What exactly is wrong with having a new set of gear that fills in the gap between exotics and legendaries? Oh yeah most of the people here complaining feel entitled to not have to work at something but still be the best in games. Seriously get over it , i read those forums to and all it looks like is a bunch of whiney babies crying over and over again in every single thread posted. Anet doesnt want to hear the whining anymore so people now come here and do it since they cant there. They sent out surveys , have answered numerous posts about it before they even stopped deleting and banning idiots that keep posting like a broken record there the same thing just reworded to be witty.

Seriously guys get over it , you paid 60 bucks for a game and its a simple conclusion , if you do not like the direction its heading send in a ticket to CS asking for a refund like even Gaile grey tells people to do on the offical forums , my god ...