Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] PlanetSide 2: Review in Progress - Part 1

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Dreskest

Well, I'm not a big fan of fps  games, but I had a blast playing PS2 today.

Didn't have any problems downloading the game, and I never experienced lag or disconnectrions.

Was quite surprised about this because all the NA servers were high or full.

Can't say I would make this game my main MMO, but I believe SOE did a great job with this game, and I will be PvPing a lot on this game in the next few months for sure.

My PvE is already covered with other titles so this is a great addition to my stable of MMOs.

No need to purchase a game box so go download and decide if it's good enough for you.

I've been having a blast as well. Was playing again just now but the servers (or at least Jeager) went down. 

I did have some lag earlier but as far as disconnects or FPS issues, I had none (running GTX680, 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, i5 2500k @ 3.8GHz, all settings maxed). 

I'll definitely be picking up a sub or at least putting some money into some unlocks. I generally hot shooters, but this has been amazing.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Been waiting for this game for years and years. I have just finished downloading PS2 over night, Now I have to pop out and paint a door, When I get back im going to Rip the VS and TR a new arse hole. :)

If someone asked me what my dream game would be and let me make it PS2 would'nt be far off.

Can't wait, Love it.

• Raistlin3786Raistlin3786 Member UncommonPosts: 17

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Been testing this game in beta for ages now so i knew what to expect but i was a bit shocked that after creatnig a cahracter it jsut plots you into the action lol :) still sometimes its best to throw someone in at the deep end hehe :)

WEll i as many others im sure where watching the count down and when it reached 0 hit their site pretty hard LOL.. no suprise the site had issues.. but SOE has also made the client available on steam so i just jumped there and started downloading :) a guy i play with has super fast broadband and downloaded it in like 10 mins lol and was then playing..

Took me a bit longer but when i did get on I had no issues creating a character and started to play :) and i had an awesoem nights worth of gaming, spend some of my Sony cash i had from the alpha squad and away  went :)

Took part in some truly massive battles that lasted hours :) when i first got in there was some lag issues but they got less and less over the night.

The guy reviewing it mentioned the character creation thing was not very good.. i dont think it suppsoe to be at the end of the day we are all just grunts.. there are items evailable in game via the shop tho, different helmets and and camo patterns if you want to spend your cash on that kind of thing.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Cant start game:/ pressing play game and game intantly crash, wtf?
  • StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

Loving the game. Seeing a large air battle happen overhead while a tank brigade rolls through a valley below, tracer fire piercing the night sky, Galaxies hot dropping troops behind enemy lines. It's a thing of beauty.

I'll be playing it for years to come.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    Cant start game:/ pressing play game and game intantly crash, wtf?

Go to Planetside2 forums and do a search - there is a .dll file you can add to your game directory that may fix your issue.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Crashing wasn't my main problem, it's the terribly poor optimisation. I was playing on a very high spec rig with a lightning fast connection and there are times im down to 15-30fps...thats rediculous and borderline unplayable for any FPS.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I did crash twice over a period of about 8 hours of gameplay. I should note that I did not crash once during the last three weeks or so of beta. Perhaps it had something to do with the server load or that fact that much was added and changed since beta ended.

On a positive note, I had a lot of fun. I am not a normal PS1 vet but I did play in the PS1 beta. PS2 looks and plays a lot better then the older cousin. With that said, it is not exactly the same game. Base capture mechanics are different (simpler) and the "tug-of-war" system of conquest is a bit different, but it all is still fun.

In a nut-shell, I see this game doing well if the dev team stays committed to fixing the bugs and holding to balancing the factions in SMALL amounts.

Anyone interested in joining a great OUTFIT, check out Supertroopers at supertroopers.com.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    May i kindly ask, why MMORPG (sic!) does reviews on shooters, which are not even near any roleplaying game?

Hodor!

• vieplis666vieplis666 Member Posts: 33
    Gameplay sux, hardto see any anemy closer then far away dots,you always shot from someone far far away,character movement and targeting is super bad :/ ,queue to enter game aprox is 30 mins ,very bad explained difference between factions, engineer class is useles for gun fights, i think its boring to play this class to repair forever, turret skill sux badly, useless character, bugs , crashes,disconnects every play, anyyway most unplayable thiing is fights,you shooting far away dots you even dont know ur weapin reach these dots, very stupid game, reminds me some very badl;y ported console game, soe sux again with his neverending craps!
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

I'm not convinced that getting dropped into a fighting zone the very first time you start the game is a good idea at any stretch.

At this time, the mouse speed configuration is ****. It's meaningless. getting dropped right into the zone with your facing flipping 5 times360° for 5 millimeter isn't fun. getting insta one shootet from a 17+ sniper while trying to lower the setting isn't either.

It's a shooter why the hell can't you verify the mouse settings before beeing thrown into the fray as fooder.

3 Days later i rack up 30 kills in 2 minutes sitting on top of a base picking drop ships "drops" shooting people who seem to be new to, since 90% does not shoot back and i feel bad for them.

Now when i log in, i start out at my base instead of getting **** dropped as free kill like the first time on character creation.

It's not gamebreaking but stuff like this really makes you wonder.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Im unsure where i stand with this game (PS2), i played for 2-3 hrs last night and really didnt get the feeling of enjoyment...but also did not get bored. It seems this game maybe due to being free has attracted the worst kind of gamers...I for about 30 mins struggled to do anything aside from die to people within the deoply point killing their own team/side for troll kicks.

Eventually i did get to go out and explore/kill was doing well until i ran into a large group lol, but thats expected. I have also noticed that the non paid for weapons....seem to lack compared to the paid ones, simply just not nearly the same damage.

IDK...for me it will stay installed and occasionally login to play for an hr or so, but i have better things to do and better games to play than let my self get frustrated playing a game designed for spoiled rich kids :).
  • TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by Hodo
    The massive confusion of the initial drop and first fight is the best part.   That best replicates what war is and I loved it.    It was one of few times in a game, let alone a MMO that I felt a "rush" from the first second of the game.   I understand for some people this is to much, but that is the difference between a soldier and a civilian.   Soldiers thrive on that, civilians dont.   Not knocking civilians, as I am one myself now thanks to injuries from my time in the service, but not everyone is cut out to fight.   And that is what sums up PS2, not everyone is cut out to play this game.

It replicates it not at all. I doubt that you went to war without training first. After I chose my head, I dropped into the game, took a few steps and was suddenly dead. Respawned, took a few steps and was dead again. Respawned, found my health gauge, took a few steps and was dead again. Respawned, found the mini-map, saw some symbols on the mini-map, took a few steps and was dead. Respawned, saw some other players, tried to determine if they were friend or foe and was dead. Turns out they were foe. Anyway, after a quick 9 deaths I logged out. That was too overwhelming for this 1st time player.

I think I'm pretty well cut out for clicking mouse buttons, and I doubt SOE designed PS2 so that only ex spec wf guys should be able to play it. I do think they need to drop in a training area to start in like PS1 had. Would be nice to learn the interface before getting face planted.

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

My Summation of PS2:

1. If you like Battlefield you will love this game.

2. If you like COD you will REALLY love this game

3. If you are a fan of teamplay strategic shooters you are going to think this is the best game ever.

4. If you are looking for something more than just a shooter, you are going to love this game.

Are there issues with it? Sure. But the game is totally playable. If you have a mid level computer you will be able to play it fine. I am running a AMD quad core and a Geforce 560 and i get 50-70 fps in light battles and 20-40 in heavy battles. And by Heavy battles i mean  300-500 people in view dozens of vehicles, air and land, and with everything on High with a few things on Medium.

The #1 thing you should do though is stay with your squad. Find one that is doing something and just follow them. Or join one of the open Outfit Squads. They usually do things semi-organized. It makes a big difference when you are just getting started.

Either way, for FREE you should at least give it a shot. They have lots of new stuff coming that will help the newer players too. And don't be afraid to ask people if you are not sure. Most will help you.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I hate hate hate COD and BF but i like planetside
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by gwei1984
    May i kindly ask, why MMORPG (sic!) does reviews on shooters, which are not even near any roleplaying game?

because its a MMO, more of a MMO than many recent so called MMOs

theyve also reviewed games that arent mmos like diablo 3 and swtor ;)

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Having spent 0 time in the beta and jumping into the game with absolutely no knowledge it was a little overwhelming at first. For people that are confused give the game time, I guarantee that within a few hours you will be flipping objectives and playing with the best of them. Overall I think so far the game is pretty fun but if you dont have a dedicated group I don't think you will enjoy it as much.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308

I've never liked FPSs before but I love this game.  I haven't had any problems with crashes and neither has either of my sons.  That's on three different computers all using three different video cards, MBs, etc.  It does appear to be quite a grind to get new items if you don't buy them but it can be done.  You can't expect a company to work all this time to build a new game and make nothing from it though.  I'll end up spending a bit of money I'm sure.

I recommend you give it a try.  There is nothing to lose.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I love this game. warts and all.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by ubermut
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by Ikeda

You know... I see these complaints all the time...

"huge treks for nothing" ... are you SERIOUS!?!? Do you NOT LOOK AT THE MAP?

Listen, look at the map.  There are "instant action" drops that put you RIGHT into combat.  Highlight the area hex's... it'll say... enemy detected, enemy platoon detected, no activity detected.

The United States in WORLD WAR II was in the war but how many major fights were in Iowa or Arkansas?  None.  So why would you DEPLOY there?  You'd deploy to the action.

There's a timer on the drop... if you drop down and there's very little fighting you could be stuck out in the open. 

Its like traveling in DayZ, could take forever and a day to get to the next "hotspot" and that skirmish could be over as well or it could be one single newb just fliping stuff... then you have to trek again.

warp to HQ and buy a mosquito.

Nah, buy a reaver...because screw the TR. 

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I've been playing almost all day today, never crashed once, stellar performance and SUPER FUN AND INTENSE COMBAT. I've played CoD and BF a lot, and I unfortunately has to say, they doesn't come close.

If a FPS developer is thinking of doing something a bit more original, something that is not the standard 15vs15 lobby game, they should definitely look at PS2. As an PS1 vet, I can say that I'm definitely not disappointed. 8,5 / 10 for me.

(These are all my personal OPINIONS, read them as such.)

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    They should have added resource nodes we could fight over and collect from. Add some type of alien life form hostile to all three factions to fight with as well. This game really needs more depth. I never played PS1, but coming in new this just feels like an oversized BF3 game. But im still exploring, time will tell if this is a winner.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Acvivm
    Having spent 0 time in the beta and jumping into the game with absolutely no knowledge it was a little overwhelming at first. For people that are confused give the game time, I guarantee that within a few hours you will be flipping objectives and playing with the best of them. Overall I think so far the game is pretty fun but if you dont have a dedicated group I don't think you will enjoy it as much.

If you have played any type of shooter game before this, i dont see how it can be confusing to people. Same set up as most my fps games. In time the controls will feel like second nature to them.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

PS2's controls are smooth, animations are pretty standard for an FPS these days (CoD anyway), and the world looks beautiful. My computer is like 4 years old, and it's running this game smooth, and it looks amazing.

That being said, I haven't gotten entirely into the gameplay yet, as I've only done Infantry stuff, and I'm only BattleRank 2, and it feels like there's not enough to it to keep me wanting to play for more than possibly an hour at a time, if that, and I definitely don't see me logging in at all a month from now, if not a shorter period.

Still, I'm gonna log in for a bit now and try to figure out all the little details involved, and possibly find a better way to play than I am currently.