Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] RaiderZ: Review In Progress - Part 2

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the second in a series of articles leading up to our official review of RaiderZ, we take a look at more aspects of the game including combat and the dungeons found in the new MMO from Perfect World Entertainment. Have you played RaiderZ? Leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Combat will have you very involved, you will be dodging every attack, while trying to make your next move. It is something you will have to be tactical about, carefully watching each enemies different attacks and adapting to how you can overcome them will be something you will find yourself doing. This is particularly important when it comes to bosses.

Read more of George Dimmock's RaiderZ: Review In Progress - Part 2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Personally I think it's a really good substitute to TERA if you aren't willing to pay for an MMORPG.

I mean that because it just seems like TERA with cheaper production value(clunkier combat, poorer graphics, smaller world, etc).

While very similar it just wasn't good enough for me after playing TERA, but i'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it and will give it a go, especially if they aren't willing to pay for TERA.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Hits sometimes do not register, and with a skill cool down that is quite high, it becomes quite annoying, this has happened regularly for me.

This was also my experience. Also I had to be very careful how I lined up a block otherwise I would get full damage. I found I had to be a bit "too perfect" and angle my camera a certain way to make sure that I was "blocking correctly".

In fast paced, frenetic combat, it felt unnatural.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    My main problem with the combat is the lag on dodge. You have to dodge very much in advance or you get hit, alot of the time it's not even close, much unlike TERA. Some lag compensation will be necessary.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

You did say fun a few times, but that's exactly my experience as well :) it's simply fun to play (strange because I don't like this type of combat much, f.e. Tera was dull and boring to me)

'Perfect' block is somewhat in the system, since you can also hit from the side while the mob is blocking, 'bypass' it from an angle. Not registered hits on the other hand are a valid issue. On a damage dealer toon it's only annoying, but for a healer it could be a life-or-death thing... I lost once a party member, because 3 of them were next to each other, and Heal only registered for 2 (the 3rd was highlighted too, just didn't received the +hp)

• TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    Fun is the operative word here.  The game is flat out fun.  Nuff said.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2rhdmKaPk
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by TheHiveLeader
    Fun is the operative word here.  The game is flat out fun.  Nuff said.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2rhdmKaPk

Lol, just sent that vid a week ago to my formerly-played-Tera-but-also-found-boring buddy, recommending RaiderZ to him. That vid fits the game perfectly :) "Whinestein Cryme Emopants, noone understands me" lol

And since you craft everything for yourself, it's also a great line: "go kill some things to get some things to make some things" :)  (PWE could put it under the hunt together - die alone punchline)

Btw, STO one has great lines too. "I'm phasing!" :)

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

One of the only F2P MMO's that I ever reachd max level in.. Somehow, this game kept my attention much longer than TERA.. Not sure if it was the price tag, the world, classes, or what.. Probably a but of each, but for what it's worth Raiderz is not that bad of a game..

I most especially like the variety of bosses. The music isn't half bad either.. But make no mistake, this is basically a single player console game with multiplayer.. However to be fair, it does have a decent day/night and weather cycle that makes it somewhat "immersive" if I dare call it that..

The costume system gets an A+ from me as well.. Instead of using the cash shop as a shopping outlet for costume peices, they charge you for just a potion which is very cheap.. And you can use that potion to make a costume out of any armor in the game, and every armor is pretty unique and designed to stand on their own.. So you can mix and match any armor found in the game to create your costume.. Very good alternative to the cash shop only slow costuming found in most F2P where you can only find silly panda outfits and sunglasses..

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

First few levels are fun I'll give you that but once you reach the 3rd or 4th map (Been a little since I logged) and you are forced to enter the pvp areas to continue questing it left a very bad taste in my mouth and haven't logged back yet.

Level in this game makes a very big different between players. (Once you are able to equip a new tier of armour/weapon aka every 2-3 levels) First zone you are forced to enter pvp areas gets you with people lvl 22-29 (Not entirely sure been a few days since I logged) as a lvl 22-25 you stand no chance against a lvl 29 the damage you will do is will be very low unless you manage to hit a caster.

Magic will show it's true power there with it's auto aim. You can't run in circles to avoid it, you can't run far away you can only dodge when it's about to hit you or block no other choice, that is stupid! let's not also say that 2 people vs 1 can stunlock you to death regardless of class it make pvp very terrible.

I kinda enjoyed the dungeons bosses they where quite dievrse between each other with their own attack patterns but forcing me to enter a warzone to continue the story quest is a no no to me. (Grinding monsters for exp won't net much exp, only decent way to level is through questing)

May give it a try when they release another option for melee dps apart of 2h or with shield as 2h sword/mace is far too slow for my tastes. Till then I'll look at some updates maybe I'll check it out once in a while/

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89
    Blah blah blah. Short way of saying "This is now a twitch game - COD2  with leveling" No thanks. Forced PvP? Oh man how lame is THAT. Played for about 22 hours in total - uninstalled - won't be playing again.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    It is actually a pretty fun game. Im usually bitter about dang near everything but this game has fluid movement ( Not herky jerky ). I hit level 15 yesterday and did the golem quests for the goblin hearts or whatever those are called and was sooo suprised to see the amount of people that were doing that event. Nifty stuff.
  • Angerfist1Angerfist1 Member Posts: 11

While I was pleased to find that xbox controller on a pc works with this game, it is completely dysfunctional.  You have to mouse click on a mob in order to attack them.  You have to do this repeatedly for the basic attack. The ability cooldowns are so bad that you can only use each of them once per fight.

There is no click to move with the mouse.

Loot pick up and talk to NPCs is "E".  All I can say is wtf?  Yes you can reprogram the key, but it's still illogical.  You cannot click on the npc to talk to them because your mouse pointer is hidden unless you bring up inventory, journal etc. using esc or ctrl.  THere was no where to change the interface where the mouse pointer is visible during combat because they made the mouse into some sort of aiming reticle.  

Questing is a pain in the ___ too. There are the usual annoying markers over quest givers heads, but you have to hit "E" 3 times in order to find out quest details about what you are required to do.  

There's one starting quest that is really assinine.  You are tasked with creating a new weapon, but part of the quest requires you to actually purchase a weapon recipe.  Granted that the nearby mobs drop the required cooper ore material, it is easy to make the weapon and believe that you have completed the quest.  When you return to the quest giver they tell you that you still need a new weapon, not that you forgot to buy a freaking recipe.  Oversight like this ruins the quest experience. 

The absense of armor or weapon drops at all is just ludicrous.  They don't even realize that people play MMOs to find treasure?  That's pathetic.

I was literally inundated with RMT gold selling spam.  There is not even a click to block players option.  It's really bad because all of the RMTs had names without vowels.  It's sad to see games that companies don't care about cheaters and RMTs.