Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People DO want sandbox not cut scenes and stunning graphics

greg4096greg4096 Member UncommonPosts: 9

Look at the success of Minecraft.

If that was a MMORPG it would have beaten all the others.

The new generation just needs to be introduced to a good game.

Comments

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    I want a sandbox but i also want stunning graphics. And i didn't vote for you to speak on my  behalf.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by greg4096

Play Minecraft on a large, multiplayer server before you say Minecraft is an example of a sandbox MMORPG waiting to happen. There are scaling issues with that kind of game that have nothing to do with technology and everything to do with players be kill happy locusts.

Minecraft works and works well because it has a limited scope. Take any Minecraft server and scale it up to 1,000 people and you'll have issues just navigating the landscape, never mind surviving the trip to get to unmolested land.

** edit **

Also, not everyone wants the same thing. Some people do want the graphics and theme park attractions and some people have no interest in playing an MMORPG for more than a month or two. So yes, some people do want to play a sandbox game like Minecraft and they have no interest in the latest 3D graphics, but those people are probably a minority of MMORPG players.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Play Minecraft on a server with 100 people that you don't know and then get back to us on that one.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• greg4096greg4096 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Play Minecraft on a server with 100 people that you don't know and then get back to us on that one.

I don't mean to say that it can scale and I take back that it specifically could become a MMORPG without vast changes

My point is that

a) people like sandbox where you have permanent effects on your world

b) graphics is less important than gameplay.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Why not stunning graphics and sandbox as well as cutscenes ?

Or atleast just stunning graphics and sandbox ?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

This.

Single-player gamers =/= MMO gamers

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by greg4096 Look at the success of Minecraft. If that was a MMORPG it would have beaten all the others. The new generation just needs to be introduced to a good game.

I play on a server with 150 player slots and they are often full. With 150 people, it works, but it's because the devs are very active in the game to curb behavior. It's the first server I've been on where trying to travel out of the spawn area isn't a parkour run and where the players in diamond armor aren't clustered around the exit point to the wilderness farming new players. I don't think it would scale to 1,000 people, much less thousands of people.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Best thing about my Minecraft server is that it's MY sandbox, not yours.

When I build a massive structure and surround it in lava waterfalls, spending hours doing so (real men play survival mode only lol), I know when I log back in it will still be there.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Hallelujah.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I want both (sandbox + stunning graphics). I think cutscenes have proven to be something that can be overdone, but are a useful tool if used artfully and sparingly.

I don't mind themepark only on the condition that it is contained within a sandbox.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I wouldn't mind a "sand box", just so long as there isn't forced PvP. Unforunately, "sand box" to many people means unlimited ganking and griefing.  That automatically niches a game in the western markets.  My main focus is on game play. But nice eye candy graphics (like TERA's) are nice too.

By the way, I speak only for myself, and so do you.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    I want a sandbox but i also want stunning graphics. And i didn't vote for you to speak on my  behalf.

Agreed, its not a case of one or the other, minecraft is a shining example of how succussfull a well designed sandbox can be.  It looks the way it does out of necessiity.  The team hasnt the resources to do both but a large development studio easily could, its just that the big funding isnt ther......yet.  I say stay tuned.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Wraithone

I wouldn't mind a "sand box", just so long as there isn't forced PvP. Unforunately, "sand box" to many people means unlimited ganking and griefing.  That automatically niches a game in the western markets.  My main focus is on game play. But nice eye candy graphics (like TERA's) are nice too.

Your correct, there is this misconception that only PvPers like sandboxes.  Huh?  Say what?  I can absolutely gaurentee you there are far more people to support a non Free for all full loot PvP sandbox then there are PvPers that want it.  Far far more.

Dont get me wrong I want a little PvP in my Fantasy sandbox as well just not the prison planet implementations that are DF and Mortal Online.

Originally posted by Wraithone

I enjoy PvP and I think it should be an option in any complete title. However, I think it is unfortunate that the term Sandbox has been linked to FFA/Full loot. There is no reason for this because FFA/FL PvP and Sandbox can be completely mutually exclusive, which would add some wider appeal to sandbox games.

Predatory PvPers who insist that Sandboxes must have this are essentially non-consenters. You can take that however you want.

By the way, I don't mind when people use broad address as a written flourish. I know the OP is not pretending to represent everyone, and my voice is not in any way stifled by his use of the assumed population as a descriptor.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

lol this ^^

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    I want amazing Graphics and alot of sand!! why cannot have both?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by BadSpock

When I build a massive structure and surround it in lava waterfalls, spending hours doing so (real men play survival mode only lol), I know when I log back in it will still be there.

pretty much "this".

Op, you have to think a bit. There is a difference in people building and creating and people building nad creating and having to put up with others.

All it proves is that people enjoy creating. But newsflash, "building blocks", legos, tinkertoys, erector sets, etc have been strong sellers for years. Minecraft just allows for a more advanced version of these games that appeal more to adults.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

This right here.

I am also a big fan of the SWTOR cutscenes. And I can't wait for DF:UW, also waiting for the relaunch of FFXIV. Maybe there are some of us that want to play a sandbox, want to play a game with great cutscenes and want a game with awesome graphics...

But yeah, minecraft, I'm sure that needs to be the future of MMO's

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Somehow this went to PvP talk.

there was and still is this online game where people can claim land and build structures on their land,those structures gives boosts to your stats and you can also build defensive turrets and such.

Other players can try to destroy what you have  built and they can also try to claim your land.

What makes this interesting ,everything,I do want to defend my own land,it gives a good reason to fight and also i want to get more land if possible, atleast i want to try,1 huge reason is those hand made stuctures ,made by me or my friends or my enemies (hear me Planetside 2)

its far more complicated than my simple example since theres also 3 factions,alliances and all kind of cool stuff.

For me its pretty much best PvP experience in MMORP gaming and if their building mechanics were something like they have in Minecraft,it would be even better.

Besides there allready is Minecraft like fps-shooter,i dont see any problems why there cant be MMORPG version.

Let's internet

Originally posted by Sovrath

pretty much "this".

Op, you have to think a bit. There is a difference in people building and creating and people building nad creating and having to put up with others.

All it proves is that people enjoy creating. But newsflash, "building blocks", legos, tinkertoys, erector sets, etc have been strong sellers for years. Minecraft just allows for a more advanced version of these games that appeal more to adults.

The difference is that the experience is more varied when there are others involved in the same activity. The reference to someone knocking down the castle when I'm offline tells me that person should stick to single-player games (not the subject of this site) for that experience.

If you have no interface with other players at all, why bother playing an MMO? A singleplayer game will surely have better graphics, events tailored to you, etc.  And you won't have to worry about other players looking at your activities.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

If you want a MMO based on crafting and world building then go play Salem. Wurm or some other crafting sim.

Players of MMO's want certain elements of sandbox but they prefer the easability and action orientated themepark model.  This isn't to say that there shouldn't be some sandbox elements blended into the themepark genre but by and large themepark will always outweigh any sandbox game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    I do wish people would get over this habit of speaking for everyone.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Sovrath

pretty much "this".

The difference is that the experience is more varied when there are others involved in the same activity. The reference to someone knocking down the castle when I'm offline tells me that person should stick to single-player games (not the subject of this site) for that experience.

If you have no interface with other players at all, why bother playing an MMO? A singleplayer game will surely have better graphics, events tailored to you, etc.  And you won't have to worry about other players looking at your activities.

"which" is why there is s difference between minecraft's success and transferring that success to a sandbox mmo.

Thanks for supporting the point.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by azzamasin

If you want a MMO based on crafting and world building then go play Salem. Wurm or some other crafting sim.

Players of MMO's want certain elements of sandbox but they prefer the easability and action orientated themepark model.  This isn't to say that there shouldn't be some sandbox elements blended into the themepark genre but by and large themepark will always outweigh any sandbox game.

Haha thanks for that. A good laugh to start the day. For your temerity you win today's Awesome Gaming Joystick award!

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Here id the conundrum. Yes I absolutely believe almost everyone wants a game where they can effect the world. (Affect, effect? Hmm). However I also firmly believe almost no one wants a game where their eirk effort and gameplay can be significantly affected by someone else

In a gamr that let's you affect things and people those dichotomies are hard to rationalize togetherness.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.