Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Greed Monger & Player Immersion

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's Independency, we take a look at what some call a "true sandbox experience" and at the notion of how players have a chance to be deeply immersed in the game. Read on and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

And while the sheer deluge of Kickstarter-related material has turned me into a bit of a cynic, it's difficult not to get a little excited about Green Monger. To begin with, Greed Monger has achieved something plenty of other Kickstarter campaigns have failed at - they've achieved their goal. They're done. There are ten days left to their campaign period but they're done. Money will, at some point, pass hands between the developers and their earnest, would-be fans.

Read more of Cassandra Khaw's Independency: Greed Monger & Player Immersion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    If they are able to pull this off, i can see my life being sucked away, but as you, i am a bit cynical. Games like this are a much needed kick in the butt to the mmorpg genre
  • plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I'm actually tossing a bit into the kickstarter bucket for this one.. I'm so disgusted with the *Mainstream* MMO developers I have decided to give an independant a shot.. They certainly cant do worse and if they sucseed it will show the mainstream that maybe their money grab and run releases are really not what the MMO comunity wants.. ;)   One can hope anyway :D
  • health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    eq 1 reborn !
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Absolutely hate the name, but I absolutely love the direction!

Joined - July 2004

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    I hope these guys can pull it off.  So many gamers complain about games today, but yet we still give these games our money.  Give these guys your money and lets see an actual game that could be fun a chance.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    My only fear is that it will be as succesful as The Repopulation (if you don't get what I mean it's that The Repopulation sort of didn't do well), which was also another project backed by Kickstarter.

Smile

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

I don't think this is going to crash and burn. More like drive around the landing strip until the engine fizzles out...

I can't wait till 2016, when we all look back on the time when hundreds of millions of dollars we're invested into games that didn't go anywhere, and laugh.

Hi

• PalingerPalinger Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    My only fear is that it will be as succesful as The Repopulation (if you don't get what I mean it's that The Repopulation sort of didn't do well), which was also another project backed by Kickstarter.

The repopulation is not out yet so you can't say if it's successful or not, also their kickstarter was successful. On topic, this looks very promising and I want to believe these guys have what it takes although indie projects and high ambitions often don't bode well.

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by remyburke

+1

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Once a month you come out with a gem like this and I LOVE IT!

Keep up the great work!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by marganculos

+1

+2

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Once burned twice as shy. And oh did StarVault (Mortal Online) burn me well.
  • MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

Very nice article!

I can't wait to play this game! Oh wait, back to work on it. :)

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Good Article, been an eager follower of this game for a while now, cant wait to see them blow everyones expectations away!

Still dont see what people have against the name though

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I think you are confusing "The Repopulation," which is a promising sandbox still in development with "Earthrise," which has already released and shutdown. Bravo.

Joined - July 2004

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Can't wait to get my hands on this one!
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Funnily enough the visuals are v nice, and the last thing I should be appraising given it's an indie mmorpg with interesting ideas! ;)
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i dont know if ill play this game, but the write up on it sounds promising. i just worry indie dev's promise too much (aka DFo/MO) and inturn make mistakes along the way that ruin the game's enjoyment factor. 

but other then that, the game if it launchs without too much of a hitch could be quite fun with what its currently promising to offer.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    sounds good, but it looks quite bad...i think they are just toooo far away to justify an investment at this time
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Mogus

Very nice article!

I can't wait to play this game! Oh wait, back to working on the combat video. :)

Fixed. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• argoriusargorius Member Posts: 17
    Love the concept but I seriously cannot see this as anything but vaporware...
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am interested in it, i am tired of the shallow mmos that are out now.

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by marganculos

+1

+2

+3

(and I pledged)

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Their website has loads of info about the game.  I pledged :)
  • Spider3Spider3 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by Mogus

Very nice article!

I can't wait to play this game! Oh wait, back to working on the combat video. :)

+1 =D

Great article. Jason, please fed us hungry dogs with news!  ^^ We are so excited about GM, we spend the whole day on GM forum to discuss and make suggestions...everytime you post it's like the sun appearing in the sky revealing us something new to confirm our discussions haha

(you want us to go totally insane isn't? ;)