Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too ahead of its time... just like every other mmofps.

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by ignore_me

As for the base turnover, I don't know what you expect. If you don't want to lose that base then post some security there instead of zerging.

The RPG part of the game (unlocking weapons and upgrades) makes many people go the standard brainless themepark shinies hunter mentality. People feel like they have to get exp as efficiently as possible untill they have everything they want unlocked. Fun comes second. Arguably, fun for many IS getting new weapons, not as much as shooting with those weapons.

And because many suck at fragging the power of brainless zerging is the obvious tool as long as it gets your exp easy enaugh.

Sad but that's a prelevant mentality for majority of people.

Gladly there will always be planty of shooting for an avid fps fan so it doesn't matter all that much.

haha I like the zerging to be honest with you, means I can get more kills when that zerg tries to take our base !

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Krashner
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    both game are not that good, theres no real point to the game, just flip basis move on...

With that kind of logic there's no point to mmos in general, just do raids to get gear to make the raid you just did easier.

Not really.

In standard MMOs you win your gear and progress through tiers, you have a feeling you are building up on something (better gear + harder raids), there is a sense of achievement.

With PS2 there is no feeling of achievement, you win a base, and you lose it 5 minutes later.

You win the next base and you lose it 5 mins later, and so on.

That is ok for a Multiplayer game like CoD or BF, but for a MMO is a pointless waste of resources

PS2 is fun for  the first few hours, but then you think, oh CoD Black Ops 2 is out, why on earth should I play this game over that?

IMO save the money and buy Black Op 2, much better game.

There is a lack of logic here. You can apply the same logic on ps2, you achieve better gear by playing and progressing.

Black ops 2 and planetside 2 are quite different, on the one hand you have a game that is more or less 90% the same year after year and costs 60 euro. Then you have ps 2 which is free, provides 3 teams, aircrafs and vehicles.

Save your money? Yes I do agree, save your money and do not buy the lazy reskinned fps over and over, and go with the free one Planetside 2.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by someforumguy
    Originally posted by shibonoryu
    both game are not that good, theres no real point to the game, just flip basis move on...

Welcome to the world of Sandbox MMO's. Your exit is over that way.

How does that make this game a sandbox MMO? Can you build a city? Can you create content as player (chosing to go west or east is not creating content)? Can you develop your character in any way you can? This game has nothing to do with a sandbox MMO.

I'm not saying that it is a bad game. But just very restricted in what you can do in it. The person you quoted just realised that there is not enough variety in it for him.

Tehre is a reason why it's called MMOFPS (not MMORPG). MMO aloen doesn't have to do much with sandbox term.

Everyone should have in mind tho that PS2 is mainly a shooter. The rest is built up on top of that. It's put in a massive world which allows many people to play in. This gives the right to an MMO prefix... Which further opens up room for big scale strategy for clans. Only on top of all that it has an rpg element (unlocking weapons and skills).

But yeah considering people slap sandbox on pretty much everything these days that's pretty acurate actualy.

If there was an -fps sandbox- than Planetside2 definitely is that. (ofc in it's own boundries of being a shooter!!)

Planetside 2 is not a sandbox. As there is no sandbox.

Actualy yes , PS2 is a sandbox, just like SWG was., if you don't think so then what is your opinion of what a sandbox is? Example, Shadow bane, SWG ,Vanguard , Fallen earth ect.

no its not its a RVR orientated open world themepark - like DAOC but without the PVE bits.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

With that kind of logic there's no point to mmos in general, just do raids to get gear to make the raid you just did easier.

Not really.

In standard MMOs you win your gear and progress through tiers, you have a feeling you are building up on something (better gear + harder raids), there is a sense of achievement.

With PS2 there is no feeling of achievement, you win a base, and you lose it 5 minutes later.

That is ok for a Multiplayer game like CoD or BF, but for a MMO is a pointless waste of resources

PS2 is fun for  the first few hours, but then you think, oh CoD Black Ops 2 is out, why on earth should I play this game over that?

COD and BF suck they are to FPS what SWTOR is to MMOS.  Why the hell would i want to play "console man shooter 14: extra killy man stuff: corridors and cutscenes extreme".  Im not a 13 year old kid with militaristic fantasies

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

A sandbox world mmo , is a freeform game meaning you can go where you please in a massive scale, what you made out to be a example is a different Type of mmorpg , this is a mmofps and yes it is a sandbox.

No, that's a free roaming game. Basically all games with RvR-like PvP have this, but that doesn't make them sandboxes. GW2 isn't a sandbox just because it has WvW.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

planetsides 2 only fault is the graphics engine and limitations.

The game starts to get huge issues around 2GB memory allocation, textures flipping, delayed load.

They also did the one mistake many are making today. DX9 is old and can take only so much, yet developers try to push DX9 by adding new and improved effects which simply can not be rendered fluid except by pure bruteforce power. (think of 3way sli) despite looking aged and cheap.

32Bit is the other border for your world design, you can only load so many textures and polygons in this size without resorting to heavy caching and pre / load and unloading.

The amount of data which needs to get through is just to much at a certain speed of load requests.

That's why texture atlas don't work out the way they do and always visible "lag" behind with loading detailed textures, despite your cpu and gpu and ram are almost idle.

The handle calls for all those (even downgraded) particel effects when 100 people are shooting is just to much for the whole architecture with dx9. So you will still get 20 fps even with a 3way sli and Oc'ed ivy bridge.

The ugly truth is, they would need to even lower the graphic quality and visible ranger to get it fluid. They tried to push it as far as it goes but we players suffer none the less.

It's still a great shooter and we players just have to accept that 20 fps occasionally happen and move on because neither a 64bit nor an dx11 client gonna happen ever.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by someforumguy
    Originally posted by shibonoryu

Welcome to the world of Sandbox MMO's. Your exit is over that way.

How does that make this game a sandbox MMO? Can you build a city? Can you create content as player (chosing to go west or east is not creating content)? Can you develop your character in any way you can? This game has nothing to do with a sandbox MMO.

I'm not saying that it is a bad game. But just very restricted in what you can do in it. The person you quoted just realised that there is not enough variety in it for him.

Tehre is a reason why it's called MMOFPS (not MMORPG). MMO aloen doesn't have to do much with sandbox term.

Everyone should have in mind tho that PS2 is mainly a shooter. The rest is built up on top of that. It's put in a massive world which allows many people to play in. This gives the right to an MMO prefix... Which further opens up room for big scale strategy for clans. Only on top of all that it has an rpg element (unlocking weapons and skills).

But yeah considering people slap sandbox on pretty much everything these days that's pretty acurate actualy.

If there was an -fps sandbox- than Planetside2 definitely is that. (ofc in it's own boundries of being a shooter!!)

Planetside 2 is not a sandbox. As there is no sandbox.

Actualy yes , PS2 is a sandbox, just like SWG was., if you don't think so then what is your opinion of what a sandbox is? Example, Shadow bane, SWG ,Vanguard , Fallen earth ect.

all that crafting and player made housing in PS2, not to mention the free form character development, the ability to play the game without having to kill something perhaps, oh wait.. there isnt any, kind of hard to have a sandbox without any sand..  but the games you mentioned, some of them are actually.. yes shocking i know.. but.. they are actually 'themepark games'  but if you'd played them you'd know that right ? image

A sandbox world mmo , is a freeform game meaning you can go where you please in a massive scale, what you made out to be a example is a different Type of mmorpg , this is a mmofps and yes it is a sandbox.

Not all sandboxes have what you said they have, just because some offer crafting , housing ect doesn't mean PS2 isn't a sandbox. PS2 ( SOE ) aleady stated that they will be adding player bases in the future, and actualy yes, there is a free form character devolpment , you get certs by taking over bases , killing other players ect and place those certs into over a hundred different skills or upgrades , not one person with be the same with skill upgrades and what have you.

Now I am not trying to bash you or insult you , but if your going to mention eve in this , it's the exact same theory, if you call PS2 a theme park then Eve is a theme park as well, sure there's " Crafting " but a game like Eve's stregth caters to PvP just like PS2 does, Theme parks are very very limited on where you can go and how much loading you do from zone A to zone B, , because there have been theme parks with the housing you mentioned in them as well, also crafting and what have you.

I also didn'tt notice any hubs in PS2 , save the " Bases" you have to defend and or own at that point.

You really don't know what a Sandbox is. It's a large scale domination style shooter with some RPG elements, it's about as sandbox as Call of Duty is except it's persistant. Don't try and sound pretentious about it, you're just wrong. Even Darkfall is hardly a 'full sandbox' and there is a lot more player choice than in Planetside. Argument ends there really..

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    PS2 ahead of it's time? Blimey, quite the opposite, PS2 is a regression of the great PS1 and PS1 wasn't really ahead of it's time anyway.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I don't understand this game.  It just dropped me in the middle of some sort of base-capping mission that goes on forever.  There didn't seem to be any gameworld at all, aside from this constant fragfest.  Was I missing something?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Vhaln

I don't understand this game.  It just dropped me in the middle of some sort of base-capping mission that goes on forever.  There didn't seem to be any gameworld at all, aside from this constant fragfest.  Was I missing something?

Nope that is it, you fight the enemy to take over the bases to defend the bases to lose them and then take them again.

• thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49

It's an mmofps. It's not a rpg. It's not a  themepark or  sandbox. It's three faction pvp in a persistant world. 

First came Golden Eye, then came PS2.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by thetimes

It's an mmofps. It's not a rpg. It's not a  themepark or  sandbox. It's three faction pvp in a persistant world. 

Shh.  It'll likely go on for months.  Gotta find the right Label or we can't express our arguments in Forum Shorthand.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Either you're new to online gaming or lived under a rock, PS2 is hardly ahead of its time. And PS1 IMO is waaaaaay better than PS2.

Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Nope that is it, you fight the enemy to take over the bases to defend the bases to lose them and then take them again.

I totally understand that this is a strictly PvP game, but when did that come to mean no context, narrative, immersion at all?  It seems like just one of a zillion games, where you shoot at people.  And that's it.  That's the whole game.  How is it that people keep throwing money at this stuff?

This is what made me think I must be missing something.  How can anyone call this ahead of it's time image

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Mad+Dog both game are not that good, theres no real point to the game, just flip basis move on...
    Not really.

I'm a long time Call of Duty player, CoD/UO, CoD 2, CoD 3 (console), CoD 4 but it stopped being cool after 4, World at War was OK but had its merits but MW2 ruined it and so did BLOPS and MW3 and from what I'm hearing BO2 isn't that great either. I'm done with CoD after WaW although I bought MW2 and hated the lobby system and bought BO1 because of "dedicated servers".

Why are you comparing a recycled franchise (that costs even more money now) over a free to play game?

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    This is a very good FPS. And offering free client is genius idea. This encourages people to support PS2 even more. Hell i dropped in 20 bucks in cash shop just to offer my support.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

Originally posted by Mad+Dog both game are not that good, theres no real point to the game, just flip basis move on...
    Not really.

I'm a long time Call of Duty player, CoD/UO, CoD 2, CoD 3 (console), CoD 4 but it stopped being cool after 4, World at War was OK but had its merits but MW2 ruined it and so did BLOPS and MW3 and from what I'm hearing BO2 isn't that great either. I'm done with CoD after WaW although I bought MW2 and hated the lobby system and bought BO1 because of "dedicated servers".

Why are you comparing a recycled franchise (that costs even more money now) over a free to play game?

A shooter is and always will be just a shooter. This is not a mmo or a sandbox many here claim it to be. Just a large map where only 10-15% of it is used.

Player progession in this game is no different than in BF3. You kill someone, get xp, unlocks certs/weapons.  BF3 has some pretty big maps.  So is BF3 a mmo now?

Lets see....

medic..... check

assault..... check

engineer....... check

tanks........ check

flying things......check

Anything else to do than blow stuff up?.......... nope

So just a shooter

Sigh.. here we go again. MMO purists trying to define what MMO is even though over the years MMOS have intergreted themselves with all other genres and have become more of a hybrid.

PS2 is a MMOFPS, it is not just called a shooter or a MMO but mixture of both.

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Sigh.. here we go again. MMO purists trying to define what MMO is even though over the years MMOS have intergreted themselves with all other genres and have become more of a hybrid.

I don't care what people call it.  I was just hoping there would be more to it.

Sigh.. here we go again. MMO purists trying to define what MMO is even though over the years MMOS have intergreted themselves with all other genres and have become more of a hybrid.PS2 is a MMOFPS, it is not just called a shooter or a MMO but mixture of both.
    MMOFPS isn't new, WW2online and Planetside were MMOFPS and are older than PS2.

Originally posted by TeknoBug

MMOFPS isn't new, WW2online and Planetside were MMOFPS and are older than PS2.

I never said it is new. That is why i said that over the years MMOS have evolved and are not defined by a strict definition.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

No one said this wasnt a MMO.

This isnt a mmoRPG however.

This is a mmofps, like any other shooter game with a large persistant world.

Yes this game lacks dephth and is very short on progression.

Of course, its a new free game, its going to be the best game ever for a few weeks.  Once people get tired of flipping bases over and over and over again with no real purpose or dephth behind it, and no real objective other than the short term "get kills flip base" this game isnt going to appeal to people who are looking for a FPSRPG...at least not in the long run.

Also, per the thread title,  this game is in no way ahead of its time. Whats next? Are we going to say its innovative and groundbreaking?  Its a FPS in a persistant world.  Make a thread like this when a game actually does something unique. Base flipping isnt unique and there isnt much else going on here.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

No one is saying here that it's not a MMO.

There is just no depth. There is no point in capturing bases nor defending it.

There are no resources to control. Nothing that helps your faction in any way.

There is no reason to subscribe. There is no reason to buy anything in the store.

This game just doesn't have any long lasting appeal.

It's fun for a while and right now I enjoy it. But I know it won't last long and flipping bases is going to become a pointless, tedious borefest sooner than later.

It's just such a shame. As they could have done so much more with this game.

Like I said earlier. They should have taken the Dune / warcraft / starcraft / C&C  series approach.

Have us, factions, fight over resources. Give us a reason to capture that base and defend it with our very last breath!

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

Have us, factions, fight over resources. Give us a reason to capture that base and defend it with our very last breath!

But there are resources to fight over....do you even play?
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by rendus

But there are resources to fight over....do you even play?

What resources??

There are no resources, nor factories to process them and manufacture into something.

Or do you mean the 2 stupid little resource bars for your character to be able to deploy a vehicle?

That is more like currency.