Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Is SWTOR Moving Toward the Dark Side or the Light?

Comments

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by jonathon82

Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by bpraswid
    Former subcriber should be given free cartel points without need to re subcribe

Your not entitled to crap in a video game or real life deal with it.

why not? If you pay for something you should get your moneys worth. If you buy a car and it is recalled because it fucked up what happens? It gets fixed or you get a new one. Oh and cheer up lifes not that bad :)

Your right, but the game is not fucked up a lot of people enjoy it.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

You work for EA?

Nope do not. But these pathetic people who have been whining and crying that the game is "not free enough" or want cartel points without paying a whopping $14.99 are a joke.

I just find it odd that you would treat people that have spent $30+ the same as Joe "F2P" Blow. 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

In any game I play only on sub model. If game does not have one, does not appeal for me. For reasons of course, not because having so much money. :-)

Never enjoyed so much any game as swtor. Sure wow, rift, gw2, ... are all great. Will be always subbed.

• viney123viney123 Member UncommonPosts: 65

After having played as an F2P player for a day or 2 in SWTOR, I am convinced that this model is crap.. I don't have the money to invest in anything other than the necessities right now, and I find it troubling that I can't PM people or openly chat with others unless I pay.

I wasn't feeling those chat restrictions until I hit level 10, which is when the basic chat restrictions take effect.

The spring was also an issue I noticed later on. I compared my speed to that of a subber with Sprint on, and it was huge. Even though I would get it at 15 ( I think, but who knows right?), it does slow leveling down a lot as an F2P player.

The experience restrictions in general also are very harsh..

One game I commend for having the RIGHT business model is North American Aion. I wish other games like SWTOR would pick up this business model, but it seems that the people that made SWTOR invested way too much money into the game to feel good about letting everyone enjoy the game for free and just offer bonuses in the Cash Shop.

Bonuses could include costumes (which they have), removing the ability to buy all species since you'd be removing subber - but allow people to purchase species like they can now, sell advanced appearance change tickets that have extra options when modifying a character's appearance, etc.

So many things could have been done if they chose that model, but they didn't.. Now, I have no real way of enjoying the game or even being treated as an equal in game unless I pay some money which I can't. I hope the guys/gals that made SWTOR learn how bad this 'Harsh Freemium System' really is, and learn not to use it next time.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    If you wanna make money, release SWG 2.
  • RexGarvinRexGarvin Member Posts: 28
    From reading the SWTOR forums I found out that unless you purchase them you will not have action bars in FTP.  This has got to be the dumbest FTP game Ive ever seen.  I was in the process of down loading the game but stopped it.   SWTOR can go f.... them selves for ruining the Star Wars legacy!!!
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    Originally posted by viney123

After having played as an F2P player for a day or 2 in SWTOR, I am convinced that this model is crap.. I don't have the money to invest in anything other than the necessities right now, and I find it troubling that I can't PM people or openly chat with others unless I pay.

I wasn't feeling those chat restrictions until I hit level 10, which is when the basic chat restrictions take effect.

The spring was also an issue I noticed later on. I compared my speed to that of a subber with Sprint on, and it was huge. Even though I would get it at 15 ( I think, but who knows right?), it does slow leveling down a lot as an F2P player.

The experience restrictions in general also are very harsh..

One game I commend for having the RIGHT business model is North American Aion. I wish other games like SWTOR would pick up this business model, but it seems that the people that made SWTOR invested way too much money into the game to feel good about letting everyone enjoy the game for free and just offer bonuses in the Cash Shop.

Bonuses could include costumes (which they have), removing the ability to buy all species since you'd be removing subber - but allow people to purchase species like they can now, sell advanced appearance change tickets that have extra options when modifying a character's appearance, etc.

So many things could have been done if they chose that model, but they didn't.. Now, I have no real way of enjoying the game or even being treated as an equal in game unless I pay some money which I can't. I hope the guys/gals that made SWTOR learn how bad this 'Harsh Freemium System' really is, and learn not to use it next time.

The purpose of this F2P model is to make players angry.

EA want this game to die. Fast! So they can call on the clausules within the license agreement with Lucas Arts and shut the game down and so cut their losses.

For EA this game is already a lost cause. Everything just points to this very fact.

If you look at it from EA's perspective, then you'll see this F2P model makes sense.

• eyeqdkeyeqdk Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    Originally posted by eyeqdk

Sorry, but when you have to pay to get use the bedst gear in game, thats called PAY  2 WIN

Free to play, is when you cant pay real cash for better gear, in SWTOR, you have to pay to be able to use epix (or artifact) gear. 

so who ever is paying real money, is always going to be in better gear, no mater how much you farm as free player. (have fun in PVP) 

And yes, making game where you have around 20 skills to use, but only can use 10 at at time, is also the dumest thing i ever heard. 

Overall, fail of "F2P" model, that is more of P2W model

enlighten me with any f2p title that has not got it :)

Well, i see you are PS2 fan, so i go with that. 

No mater what you pay for in PS2, a Free user can get that, it just take longer time.  and you can only get weapons, and a weapon is not a "better" weapon, it just diferent. 

GW2, not a F2p game, have a better "f2p" model, you buy the game, and you are good to go, dont need to pay for better items.

In TOR, if you payed, lest say 150 $ for colection version of the game 11 month ago, today its 5$ worth. coz you get the same "benefits" when u just spend 5$ on market. 

So do tell me, how TOR "F2P" is not a P2W? 

Fallen earth, DDO  and Star Trek Online are also not pay to win, and list can go on, if u want to know more.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I think the best point Aoshi makes in this article is that EA/BioWare didn't take the chance to have multiple "tiers" of subscription.

Some of the gripes have merit, spint & the hotbars were taking the penny-pinching a little too far as both impede playability & the ability to play on an even keel with subbers, in a performance category.

I am a fan of the game & do think there is far too much pissing & moaning about the game's f2p model but those points I mention are the most salient ones.

• Berry90Berry90 Member Posts: 10
    I was kinda really disappointed with Bioware making people sub for to whisper to other players online and having the full exp and not on the F2P side.
  • MisatoTremorMisatoTremor Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by RexGarvin
    From reading the SWTOR forums I found out that unless you purchase them you will not have action bars in FTP.  This has got to be the dumbest FTP game Ive ever seen.  I was in the process of down loading the game but stopped it.   SWTOR can go f.... them selves for ruining the Star Wars legacy!!!

It's not THAT bad. You get 2 action bars as a free and as a preferred player.

Bad thing is that some (most) classes/builds will run out of neccessary bar space at aroung level 30-40. That forces one to filter out skills not often used or just used out of combat and use them from the ability window.

I was planning on finishing my Sith Juggernauts storyline (the only Imperial I haven't finished yet) with FTP. It is playable but the action bar restriction alone is so annoying I think about dumping that plan.

Misato - TankDoc for Life
  • MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143

Selling GUI elements! The first and the only game that does it!

As "premium" formal subscriber I feel deeply offended by that "2 hor-bar" policy. Past level 16 you simply can not place all needed abilities on 2 bars, so, game simply become unplayable. 

No, thank you. Play by this "unique" F2P model yoursef, EA.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'm starting to wonder if EA/Bioware can get anything right at this point.

Clearly the f2p model they have implemented is a fail also.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

You mention rewards for subscribers.. do you mean cartel coins?  After playing for months, being a pre-order customer, with a collectors edition, and a subscriber at the time they went F2P,  ended up with the massive reward of 1000 coins (or £5 / $10). That amount bought me nothing in their store of any interest apart from a few potions.

This is not a reward, this is an insult.

On top of this, they took my remaining 2 months subs which I had paid for, dropped it to 7 days and attempted to charge me for another month. Then, when I wrote to their CS and complained, they didnt even bother responding. And when I posted it on their CS forum, the SWTOR fans just told me I must be lying and where I could go...

I have now cancelled my sub and wont be returning.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I played at launch and I played just the other day, launch spoiled me to much for this f2p version and this just isn't worth a monthly sub.
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

You work for EA?

Nope do not. But these pathetic people who have been whining and crying that the game is "not free enough" or want cartel points without paying a whopping $14.99 are a joke.

I just find it odd that you would treat people that have spent $30+ the same as Joe "F2P" Blow. 

And I find it odd someone with an ignorant little signature would spent time and energy on a game forum they clearly dont like...oh wait I believe there is a name for people like that.

I am a subscription holder. But if they don't fix this F2P model, we won't have a game to play. This was supposed to help save the game, instead its killing it. This is Electronic Arts, if their not making a 300% profit, its not viable to them. Look at their history. They buy game developers, push the execs out the door, run the companies name into the ground and close everything down, keep the licenses and move on to the next victim. this will happen here. They have no interest in this game or its players, just their bottom line. I still miss Westwood Studios...

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    It's quite simple: Make the game fantastic instead of mediocre, this needs a reverse NGE and a total makeover more in the direction of SWG. People would give BW truckloads of subscription money to play a TOR/SWG hybrid.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by TheOctagon

Interesting.

http://www.ibtimes.com/electronic-arts-sale-ea-quietly-exploring-private-equity-interest-report-748611

Maybe someone decent will buy them out...

I hope so and I hope the sale goes quick, before EA kills the rest of the gaming industry. 

• JILoganJILogan Member UncommonPosts: 3

I can't see how they think SWTOR will be more attractive with more restrictions. I quit because it sucked. Now it sux exactly the same but I can't even take my hat off.

Does Disney get this game, too? I can't see how they could make it worse so lets hope they can just throw some dirt on this grave and give us a real Star Wars MMO.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

[mod edit]

My opinion is that the foundation of the game is decent but not great.  Space combat is horrible and inexcusable for a $250 million game.  Their engine sucks and clearly always will in terms of responsiveness.  The world design is completely linear with major dividing lines between factions that minimizes conflict.  Leveling alts of the same faction is extremely tedious when you aren't doing your story quests. 

Their F2P model goes way overboard on nickle and diming.  Only a fanboy would defend them charging to get a fully functional UI.  I've washed my hands of the game.  What a waste of $60.

• royerkrissroyerkriss Member Posts: 2
    The ones who say OMG 2 action bars hate the game already and will never fill one. Theses same people who say OMG only 2 character slots will never get one to 50. The game is full and lots of fun right now for some. Some spend $14.99/month some are doing it free. There are some who before this game was released called it crap, shit, a heap, dead, horrible its clear these same people are back. Why spend so much time and energy trying to bash something others enjoy? The mmo market is flooded with games go find one and play it. Whining and crying this one is "not free enough" is pathetic.
    I spent 6 month of game time on this game. Do you think that after spending so much money and time on it, it is normal to have access to only 2 hot bars?! With my lvl50 character?

• l0rdg4m3rl0rdg4m3r Member Posts: 5

I tried it yesterday, lvled ,l finished the story part where i left off last time, but things like hotbars are really sad, seriusly?limit ui?and today i deleted it... simply i have no interest in paying real money to use items,use hotbars,etc...,also preffered players cant even buy some items since u can only have 350k credits, i got no problem with xp penalty for f2p users, since that can be overcome i think major fault in today f2p market is that the models should be made with little more with player in mind and how to make them stay and gradually use money than to make them spend money for everything u can posibly think off...

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156
    I'm sorry but I play f2p games quite regularly infact I have never been hammered over the head with you need to sub now as I have in this game. I finished a quest yesterday and was told that I need to subscribe for the quest reward. Ever since this day I have no desire to return to the game. I have played games that if I listened to the community are the worst f2p titles (I play DCuniverse online quite regularly I also occassionally go in STo). I have to believe itis the worst implementation of f2p I've seen. While many say with the games I've played they are bombarded by you need to buy from the store or you need to sub this is the only game I've found that to be true. 
  • banksy18banksy18 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry EA/Bioware but this F2P model is awful. I'd like to see a dodge feature like in gw2 and a much better F2P model before I try it... again. 100% Agree with the above post that having to subscribe for a second quick slot bar etc is alienating.