Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Negativity killed the cat.

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

You have some fair points. But they are undermined by the fact that you don't seem to realize the players who were complaining about lack of item progression are a totally different set of players than the ones who are now complaining about the addition of item progression.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I think the negativity has reached GW2 because people have reached end game and not finding much to do after that

Persoally I think people take negativity way too seriously, and do not use it to see any good. One bad thing seems to make the whole thing bad? Which to me seems unreasnonable

If someone was complaining about a game being Linear, whereas previous games were a sandbox, and I was looking for a Linear game for a change, then that would not be a negative TO ME.

I NEVER take any negativity on the forums about MMOs seriously, in the fact it makes me stop playing the games because I like them. With SWG, the more the people hated on it the more I played it and opened up more accounts. What can get to me however, is if friends in game keep bashing it, and some MMOs (not SWG as there was plenty to do even by yourself) need other players to play, so if they all leave then you can not enjoy the game then, unlike a flat.

If you do find yourself hating something because of what other people say, then there is usually truth to it, but if you stop hating something after the negativity goes away, then you can tolerate the bad things, whereas others can not.

I have not yet played GW2 but none of the negativity being posted about it will stop me playing it one day. What will stop me from playing it will be my own opinion of the game, but for now I am avoiding it due NCSofts mishandling of the City of Heroes shut down. Also apparently NC Soft has been struggling since the COH closure, and they are heading into Bankruptcy, so if that does happen I wonder what will happen to GW2? If it gets shut down then getting involved with the game will end up being a waste of time, but chances are they will try and sell it off.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Agreed

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    [mod edit]

Koliko dobro govori hrvatski? Ne kao da govori engleski, vjerojatno.

Vec sam odustao da ubjedjujem te budale. Ja govorim dva jezika , on samo jedan.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

So this is basically a "don't say bad things about my game" thread.

Perhaps you should not even come to these forums or any internet forum if that is what you wish.

Also, if you went to University, you should have a basic comprehension of English.  Please make an effort.

That's what this thread is about, it's a "don't say bad things about GW2" even if it's genuine concerns. Thing is if you look at his post history he is actually guilty of what he is complaining about lol.

Stones and glass houses comes to mind.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Denial killed the cat.

It's a personal flaw if you can't be headstrong enough to enjoy things despite other's dont.
    It's the reason people like that can't take critics directed at a game they play, because they put their personal stake in it.

The only right opinion is their own anyway. They can't deal with the fact other's don't agree with them. They also lack compassion as soon as they go online.

They are the reason the MMO is so bad in shape as it is. They create the very hostile environments in forums. They are the reason valueable feedback never reaches developers. Everything get's flooded down with denial and downplay also known as "fanboyism".

"It can't be bad!!!!! Because i like the game, i don't play class x but it can't be bad because i like class y! Stop whinning, you are destroying my game hater!"

They are the reason so many negativity threads get created in order to be heard. They scream louder than any initial complain made and try to deny anyone but themselves to be heard.

And the sad (funny) part is, they don't even realize their selfishness is the very reason to start the circle.

Someone pointing out flaws to the developers does not deny you to enjoy it still, but you want to deny him the right to give feedback in forums.

This is where all the trouble starts and ends.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The reason negativity bothers or influences some people so much is deep down they agree with the truth being presented, but the part of them that lives in denial recoils in protest demanding people stop speaking it to them.

No where is this more evident than in forums such as this one.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• logun24x7logun24x7 Member Posts: 7

Here is a example from real life:

In my student days i used to live in a flat that i rented together with 3 mates. It was not great but as student money is in short supply, and we had all we needed. Yet one of the mates kept constantly complaining about everything. Slowly we all started hating that flat. But than that mate left, and slowly things started going back to normal and we again enjoyed our living quarters.

I guess I have learned there, how negativity can paint black even a good thing.

And ammount of negativity in gamer circles this days is astonding. I think we all know it and i will give no examples.

Its like a sickness of todays gamer community and its spreading. It now reached GW2.

This virus needs no big thing to fuel it. Any little thing can be a reason.

For example:

Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

Its slippery slope of negativity.

Honestly its ruining every game for me.

So this is what I decided to do. (and tend to do with any game that I enjoy)

1. If you enjoy the game. Stop reading negativity treads - it will eventually effect you and ruin the game for you.

2. If you have things you dont like about the game (and we all have) - Is it so big an issue that you dont want to play the game anymore ? No ? You enjoy the game still - make your case known. But dont dwell on it to much. Enjoy the things you do like.

3. The issue is so big you can not enjoy the game anymore ? Its a bummer. Give the game a pause.Perhaps try planetside ?

So all in all. Negativity will ruin the game for you - even if you enjoy it.

Avoid taking part in it.

The funniest thing about this post (and I mean no disrespect to the OP when I say this)

Is, It was a crappie flat. All your mate did was point out what was wrong with it. You started hating the flat because you agreed with your mate. The only thing your mate did was prevent you from suspending your perception that your flat was ok. The flat didn’t get better when your mate left you could just go back to ignoring the problems.

People complain because they have a problem. Some people see the problems and other don’t, but if reading someone’s issues with the game makes you feel differently about the game then just maybe what they’re saying is true even if you refuse to see it.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Perhaps you should not even come to these forums or any internet forum if that is what you wish.

Also, if you went to University, you should have a basic comprehension of English.  Please make an effort.

That's what this thread is about, it's a "don't say bad things about GW2" even if it's genuine concerns. Thing is if you look at his post history he is actually guilty of what he is complaining about lol.

Nice catch, just looked at his post history  hehe. He is contradicting himself with this post.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

You will find that most people who are very negitive and even abusive are the ones who have issues in every day to day life. It is very easy to cyber bully/troll and get away with abusing negitive behaviour.

But I agree, don't read up on the negitive, find out for your self and if you enjoy it good, if you don't then find something else. That goes for every one, including those who write whiney, bitchy threads. I've went back to World of Warcraft, and I'm really enjoying it now that the new expansion is out. I find the panda's stupid and funny and I love it!

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

[mod edit]

Can you guys tell me where exactly OP says "don't say bad things" ? I read "don't read negative things about game you enjoy or it may ruin it for you". Prove me wrong, please.

I very agree with OP. Too much negativity can spoil your view of anything (not only game... movie, person... anything). I actually do the same, I try to avoid negative threads as much as possible. On the other hand that should not mean, you can't voice your opinion. Tell what you want and go away. If you get caught in circle of trolling and hating, you will be lost.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Kaleston
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Can you guys tell me where exactly OP says "don't say bad things" ? I read "don't read negative things about game you enjoy or it may ruin it for you". Prove me wrong, please.

I very agree with OP. Too much negativity can spoil your view of anything (not only game... movie, person... anything). I actually do the same, I try to avoid negative threads as much as possible. On the other hand that should not mean, you can't voice your opinion. Tell what you want and go away. If you get caught in circle of trolling and hating, you will be lost.

Well it shouldn't.  If you enjoy or support something then other people's thoughts should have no influence on how you feel about it.

But if you harbor doubts about your beliefs/convictions, then I agree, negativity will bring those doubts to the surface, and perhaps make you see things in a different light and change your mind about the subject at hand.

This does not mean the negativity was a bad thing, or that you were somehow harmed by it, rather think of it as an enlightening process, and you are now the better for it. 

You are now free to go enjoy something you really like rather than something you were fooling yourself into thinking you did.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    This forum is quite well known for how posters berate games.  While it's nice to see this, it won't do anything.  People will still hate on MO, GW2, WoW, ToR, Etc.
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Players have become ungratful for the amazing games we have been given to enjoy. They spend all their time bitching about tiny problems in an otherwise good game. Op u agree with u. If ppl spent this much time tryin to fix the economy or the government we would be slot better off

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Group A Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Group B Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

Its slippery slope of negativity.

Well, you're using slippery slope incorrectly, and you're talking about different players as if they're the same guy.

But other than that, an op designed for extreme viewpoints, should work great.

(Naturally, we cannot require you to demonstrate that A=B here.  All we can do is present the assumptive flaw.)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Searias

Nice catch, just looked at his post history  hehe. He is contradicting himself with this post.

How so ?

I never said do not criticise games. I say If you want to enjoy the game , avoid negativity topic about it cause it might ruin it for you

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

we sold over 2m copies of a generic game...WHAAA!

People are being negative and saying mean things about us....WHAAA!

WHAAA!  WHAAA! WHAAA!

There is nothing better than the forums.  We finally have the chance to actually state our opinions and give real reviews of games.  Is it going to be negative...hell yeah...but there will be a counter-balance of positive.

if you can't take the heat, get the f@#$ out the kitchen.

It's hypocritical to whine about whiners.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    It's for this very reason that I've been less and less active on forums (including this one).  The constant negativity has been killing my interest in games that I would otherwise be enjoying.

<3

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

In my student days i used to live in a flat that i rented together with 3 mates. It was not great but as student money is in short supply, and we had all we needed. Yet one of the mates kept constantly complaining about everything. Slowly we all started hating that flat. But than that mate left, and slowly things started going back to normal and we again enjoyed our living quarters.

This is 100% true. Everyone needs to help bail water in a leaky ship and share rations! Throw any "Jonas" overboard to boost morale!

Avoid taking part in it.

And ammount of negativity in gamer circles this days is astonding. I think we all know it and i will give no examples.

Its like a sickness of todays gamer community and its spreading. It now reached GW2.

This virus needs no big thing to fuel it. Any little thing can be a reason.

Agree, game discussion is too negative often: A lack of CONTRUCTIVE CRITICISM is just venting on the internet (not just games but any forum of commentators on any subject!).

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

1. If you enjoy the game. Stop reading negativity treads - it will eventually effect you and ruin the game for you.

2. If you have things you dont like about the game (and we all have) - Is it so big an issue that you dont want to play the game anymore ? No ? You enjoy the game still - make your case known. But dont dwell on it to much. Enjoy the things you do like.

3. The issue is so big you can not enjoy the game anymore ? Its a bummer. Give the game a pause.Perhaps try planetside ?

Avoid taking part in it.

You win at life friend.  Seriously.

As you have noticed, the global society has produced an odd problem:  Negative comments, news, etc gets more attention than positive actions, comments, news, etc.  Among youth in western societies, where +1's, likes, etc are registered, counted and tabulated for everyone and every post or comment made, value is placed on those cyber "pluses."  Negative comments  always garner more attention because they create controversy.  Positive comments are agreed to and passed over without controversy.  No different among gaming communities.

I will say this:  In the days of EQ AC and UO being the only primary western mmorpgs, you had more loyalty for one reason: lack of choice.  You either liked one or you didn't, and you adapted to your chosen mmorpg and found a way to enjoy it or completely quit.  

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by daeandor

Avoid taking part in it.

You win at life friend.  Seriously.

As you have noticed, the global society has produced an odd problem:  Negative comments, news, etc gets more attention than positive actions, comments, news, etc.  Among youth in western societies, where +1's, likes, etc are registered, counted and tabulated for everyone and every post or comment made, value is placed on those cyber "pluses."  Negative comments  always garner more attention because they create controversy.  Positive comments are agreed to and passed over without controversy.  No different among gaming communities.

I will say this:  In the days of EQ AC and UO being the only primary western mmorpgs, you had more loyalty for one reason: lack of choice.  You either liked one or you didn't, and you adapted to your chosen mmorpg and found a way to enjoy it or completely quit.  

You last sentence is truly golden. In '99 I played AC, I didn't care for UO when I tried it, and I never saw the appeal of EQ. Not once did I ever go to a EQ or UO forum and spew out all sorts of hate for the game. I read the AC forums for news, fun, theorizing where the story would go based off new lore, etc. It was a really good time.

Now, if I get bored with a game, I'll stop playing. However, when I try to go read the forums to find a new idea of how to play to respark my interest all I see is tons of threads of whining, pissing and moaning. Which of course defeats the whole purpose.

Honestly, the best thing anyone can ever do is just not read the forums at all, and be blissfully ignorant of the general whiney consensus around any game.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

People will be negative to a game that doesn't deliver the contant for it to be a MMO. You appear to think it is the gamers fault that they should just blindly play games that don't stand up to what a MMO should be and are obviouly lacking in featrues and contant compared to MMOs that actually last for more than a year.

It is the casual death of MMOs!

• VeryDustyVeryDusty Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

People will be negative to a game that doesn't deliver the contant for it to be a MMO. You appear to think it is the gamers fault that they should just blindly play games that don't stand up to what a MMO should be and are obviouly lacking in featrues and contant compared to MMOs that actually last for more than a year.

It is the casual death of MMOs!

I don't think that to be true. I do think that gamers have a particular opinion or expectation for a game ( it may be realistic or not) and if the game doesn't fit what they expect, instead of just not playing any more and voting with their wallet, they go on forums and complain and whine. Does that really do anything? In Rift, it did happen with Saboteurs and then other build used by Rogues and made the class at one point hard to play in PvE (it was the PvPers complaining). Rather than look at how they could mitigate or change how the damge was caused they instead totally nerfed a class.

[mod edit]

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I lived with roommates while in university.  However, in our case a little negativity would have probably really helped.  We were so focused on the now and only caring about the positive things that we tended to forget that all of us were utter slobs and noone had actually bothered to take out the grabage or clean the bathroom in over a month.   We really could have used some negativity in our lives there.  :)

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

OP's idea at its core is great. People should be able to put things aside and move on. However, this patch (for some players) took what wasn't broken and made it broken. It really doesn't matter if it is a right move or a wrong move. The very idea that someone wrecked something you previously enjoyed, no matter how small and unimportant and miniscule, is an infuriating thing for many people. So there is no reason to be dismissive about their feedback. The MMO community, in my opinion, has every right to be pissed off at the current state of the genre and how poorly companies appear to treat their existing customers.

So yeah, people should let things go, but developers and creators need to stop biting the hand that feeds too. I was turned off MMOs for 3 years before I tried GW2. I was happy. Now, not so much. I certainly won't be paying for any MMOs anytime soon, but might try the free ones.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.