Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Crowd Sourcing Passes the $6.3M Mark

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Citizen's crowd sourcing project is now complete and has smashed the original goal of raising $4M in development funds. Fans around the world have pledged nearly $6.4M to see Star Citizen become a reality.

The battle is over and we—PC gamers, space sim fans, WingNuts, Lancers and the rest—have won. You’ve not only met every goal we set, you’ve exceeded them. Star Citizen will be released because of your dedication and your willingness to put your money where our mouths are. Our gratitude is immeasurable; we owe you our livelihoods and will not soon forget it.

The question is: what happens next?

Read more on the Star Citizen site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Im not too sure why this game is getting so much attention on MMORPG.com, i mean its not an MMO...its a single player with multiplayer option from what ive read. But it sounds like it will be a great game...but just not MMO.
  • KtaraKtara Member Posts: 37

Diablo 3 got the same (if not more) coverage, and it's not an MMO either.  It's because these games allow for multiplayer, even if it's not MMO.  They're RPG-ish, and what Roberts was able to accomplish is pretty cool.  It shows what a lot of gamers want to see made these days, and it gives them the opportunity to be involved.

Some people may not be old enough to remember that the first heard/saw anything about a game, it was on the store shelf.  Having input and information prior to the game's creation is fun and excting.  It's also nice when a company actually listens to the input and tries their best to implement it, or at least explain why it can't be done. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Ok since there's 2 different completely identical topics, I'll copy my other post here as well:

This page alone is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/add-ons/

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by salenger
    Im not too sure why this game is getting so much attention on MMORPG.com, i mean its not an MMO...its a single player with multiplayer option from what ive read. But it sounds like it will be a great game...but just not MMO.

I thought I recalled on the site that it says the scale is dependent on funding.

So with 6 mil already it might be developed into a full blown MMO? (with off-line singleplayer play capability)

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    No to nitpick, but the website is reporting they got $6,272,858 and over 2 million is going to kickstarter.
  • aphozaphoz Member Posts: 2

First off, it has a single player campaign in the form of Sqn 42, it also will have a 100 star system persistent MMORPG universe to play in as well with trading, piracy, boarding other vessels and overtaking them. 

Secondly, the page with add-ons is part of the pledging campaign. When the game is released, everyone will be able to get everything in game on that list without paying real money. However if you want to pledge money to the program they will then give you bonuses in game depending on  that pledge amount. The cost of the items on the add on page are so high as its not intended to give you the item per say but to help the development costs. Buying on that page gives you access to those items in game as well as permanent insurance on you vessel so if its destroyed its replaced as well as garage space in game for those ships purchased. You do not have to pay anything and when the game is released, you can play free then as well. 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Brilliant PR campaign.  Just hope the game ends up being better than Roberts' ten year run of movie production.   I'm not crossing my fingers, though.  (or risking my money)

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    I am glad to see them make their goals. I am a player of space sims such as Freelancer, Freespace 2 and Evochron mercenary. I am going to donate and definately check this one out.
  • TolandToland Member CommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by WolfClaws
    No to nitpick, but the website is reporting they got $6,272,858 and over 2 million is going to kickstarter.

Its 2mil from Kickstarter -_-; ie they also ran a kickstarter and got 2mil from it.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Ok since there's 2 different completely identical topics, I'll copy my other post here as well:

This page alone is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/add-ons/

Not to me, since this is not a game being published by some big company. All I see is a bunch of stuff for sale to raise money into developing this game. I didnt see any hotbars for sale there anyway.

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Not to me, since this is not a game being published by some big company. All I see is a bunch of stuff for sale to raise money into developing this game. I didnt see any hotbars for sale there anyway.

The only thing that bothers me just a little is that they added things to that list after the pledging. That said I couldnt be happier with the progress and potential for this title. If they can gain more funding throughout development, more power to them.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

You should read up on the FAQ's, posts and interviews again.

The game willl indeed have a Single Player Campain. Squadron 42.

Next to that, there will be both Private and Public Servers for Online Multiplayer.

The public server(s) will be a Persistent Online Universe. Which is THE key feature of an MMO, where players can do what they want. Pirating, Privateering, Crafting / Trading, Socializing, etc, etc.

The Public server(s) will constantly evolve, both by player actions as by additions of new star systems and new features by the devs.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Its going to be a MMO. Its one of 6 million goals

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    well part of it is MMO, another is self hosting servers and another is solo gameplay. I can't wait, he is the god of Space Sims, still the best out to date even thou people say xwing, I still think Wing Commander was by far the best sim space I personally ever played. Can't wait for this new installment, if anyone can do space sims right it's Robert, heck he even had his hands in the SWG space combat and personally I thought that was badass :)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

What i love about this game being developed as a 250 dollar level Silver Card Citizen is that it is an MMO, and an FPS and a Space Sim, and a game that can be privately hosted. Its got a little bit of everything a gamer would think of in a game that has lots o shooting, traveling, exploring, piracy, smuggling, refeuling, trading, and militarily.  Take that it is all in a exponentially growing Universe and has both PVP and Social systems in it I would say that it is a game unlike any other.

With the way Industry trashes PC gamers every year at E3 and other events/ showcases its no wonder that the gamers rallied to the call of Chris Roberts. I was one of them. I played Wing Commander and loved the way it set the standard of PC gaming Graphics back in the 90's and I hope Chris Can do it again by letting all these half wit CEOs like Kotick that its about the gamers and not Apps and dumbing down games.

its Free to play and not one pay item to be seen in its developement plans, matter of fact RSI stated clearly there will be no ingame shop for cash. About time I say. Subscriptions aside the F2P games with stores are far more expensive to play. Star Citizen will be a game that sets standards and for those who dont believe in the creation of the game or have faith in Roberts just realize this:

Chris Roberts set the standard in the 90s for High end graphics for PC's and followed it up with several follow up games to the Wing Commander Series.  And this all started out of a small apartment and two of his friends. I have all the faith in the man... Unlike Politicians, when Chris speaks those who have followed him over the last 22 years know.. He is honest and true to the Gamers!

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    please god dont let this game turn into a EVE style p.o.s....
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Brilliant PR campaign.  Just hope the game ends up being better than Roberts' ten year run of movie production.   I'm not crossing my fingers, though.  (or risking my money)

I actually quite liked the wing commander film.. sure it was not blockbuster material but it was a pretty enjoyable for what it was..

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

Kickstarter takes 5 percent in fees. Is that before the announced total or after? No clue. This is from thier website.

What fees does Kickstarter charge?
    Kickstarter collects a 5% fee from the project's funding total if a project is successfully funded. Additionally, payment processing fees generally work out to 3-5%. See US and UK payments fees.

http://www.kickstarter.com/start
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Amazing, lets hope something really good comes out of this.  
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

I liked lucky number sleven and Lord of War.

The only point where he could mess up would be the story telling if you take Wing commander as the only reference. But then again this would "just" affect the singeplayer campain squadron 42.

The rest can still be the best thing ever*
    And that is for me where it matters. Game systems > story.

Kickstarter only takes their share from what is pledged at kickstarter as far as i am aware.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

yeah I agreed here, it ll be great game but not MMO

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Wow my hype went from 10 all the way down to zero after reading that link.  I'm glad I didn't support this game and definitely won't be playing.  Pay to win free to play scam to the max!!!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

hehe, at first i thought they raised 6.3 million mark and was like "yea, why get real money when you can get deutsche mark!"

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I will nitpick - the original goal was 2 million and not 4.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Wow my hype went from 10 all the way down to zero after reading that link.  I'm glad I didn't support this game and definitely won't be playing.  Pay to win free to play scam to the max!!!

A classic simple-minded, "tunnel vision" approach. Very common in the MMORPG boards. Needless to say that at least 6.4 million people disagree with your very thorough and elaborate view about SC being a scam.