Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too ahead of its time... just like every other mmofps.

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Planetside 2 is certainly the best mmofps I've played. I really like the world size and the overall feeling of a gigantic war - something you can't really feel in a standard FPS. However, the movement and combat is just so clunky.

The game looks nice. The graphics and performance would do well for a EverQuest-type MMO. However, it's not at all ideal for a FPS.

I'm playing on an i7 920 with an ATI HD Core 7850. It's not an extreme system, but a good system none the less. Getting sporadic 20-60 FPS just isn't fun. Dumbing down the graphics doesn't help much. Moreover, playing this game on low detail is not a good idea, as it still runs bad while looking like a 10 year old game.

I know comparing this to Black Ops 2 is just silly, but a constant 200 FPS via BO2 just provides fantastic and fluid combat (I know the human eye can only render so much, but you can most certainly feel extremely high FPS with the mouse). Once technology allows perfectly smooth MMOFPS combat, it will be a ton of fun.

The game is cool, but I would be upset if I had purchased it.

Comments

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Planetside 2 is certainly the best mmofps I've played. I really like the world size and the overall feeling of a gigantic war - something you can't really feel in a standard FPS. However, the movement and combat is just so clunky.

The game looks nice. The graphics and performance would do well for a EverQuest-type MMO. However, it's not at all ideal for a FPS.

I'm playing on an i7 920 with an ATI HD Core 7850. It's not an extreme system, but a good system none the less. Getting sporadic 20-60 FPS just isn't fun. Dumbing down the graphics doesn't help much. Moreover, playing this game on low detail is not a good idea, as it still runs bad while looking like a 10 year old game.

I know comparing this to Black Ops 2 is just silly, but a constant 200 FPS via BO2 just provides fantastic and fluid combat (I know the human eye can only render so much, but you can most certainly feel extremely high FPS with the mouse). Once technology allows perfectly smooth MMOFPS combat, it will be a ton of fun.

The game is cool, but I would be upset if I had purchased it.

its easy to make a non-dynamic map and draw 16 /32 folks and some random pre-render textues and maintain top fps , its hard to draw  200+ folks + 50 tanks and have them all shoot and move about in a open non-path-restricted area thats 2times the size  "normal" fps games in a open play world the size of ..?....100 battlefield maps? (egual 10000 cod maps)

60fps is more then fine

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't think its ahead of its time
    That would be the first one

I do think its released too early though.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Also why go stupid on the physx, and crap up the performance of half your users.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    PS1 was a far better game and wasn't ahead of its time. PS2 isn't bad but it doesn't live up to the greatness of PS1.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    both game are not that good, theres no real point to the game, just flip basis move on...

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    both game are not that good, theres no real point to the game, just flip basis move on...

With that kind of logic there's no point to mmos in general, just do raids to get gear to make the raid you just did easier.

• shibonoryushibonoryu Member Posts: 23

Welcome to the world of Sandbox MMO's. Your exit is over that way.

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

everything ive looked at and read from "people in beta" mind u, not people who have not tried it but pleople currently playing the game, they all say that no matter how supped up their computer is they get low frame rates, 40 or less... and they all say that u cant play the game well at such low rates.   

Will this get fixed at some point, who knows, i know i dont know .. but i wont play or try it till i read that its no longer the case and you can get decent frame rates.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by shibonoryu

Even sandbox MMO's have a purpose. Star Wars Galaxies had plenty of purpose.

This game doesn't have one. Sadly.

It's like many already said. It's just a larger Battlefield FPS game. That's it.

You just flip bases with your enemy to progress you character. There is no pride nor any purpose for keep hold on your captured bases and defend it, as during off hours the oponents will ninja them back. Warhammer Online DeJaVu anyone?

They should have taken a "Dune" approach, by incorporating necessary resources in the game for the factions to fight over!

Resources you need to be able to supply factories and build tanks, trucks, planes, defence systems, walls, etc.

This game would instantly have more purpose and it's actually a lot more fun to take over a base, have it half destroyed due to the fighting and then have to scramble every resource and manpower to rebuild the base, the walls and defences, etc.

This game could have been so much more. Like taking the best from DAoC and EVE Online.  /sigh

I don't say the game isn't fun in it's current form. Just not as a MMO to dedicate a lot of time on, like you would with other MMO's.  Just jump in once and a while to get your PVP fix.

And sadly.... I think this will be the same for many... which in the end will hurt SOE financially.

As right now.... for example, I do not see any reason to subscribe nor any reason to buy anything in the store either.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Tried ps2 today. Large map, but only like 10% of the map is used. So its no more than a large Battlefield map. So no, not much different than your average shooter. Thought there would be more to it since they slapped MMO on the front of it. Which this is not a MMO. Takes more than a few hundred people on a server to be a real MMO. Ill keep playing, as I want to explore it a little more. But not head over heals for it. Things may change.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

How does that make this game a sandbox MMO? Can you build a city? Can you create content as player (chosing to go west or east is not creating content)? Can you develop your character in any way you can? This game has nothing to do with a sandbox MMO.

I'm not saying that it is a bad game. But just very restricted in what you can do in it. The person you quoted just realised that there is not enough variety in it for him.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by someforumguy

How does that make this game a sandbox MMO? Can you build a city? Can you create content as player (chosing to go west or east is not creating content)? Can you develop your character in any way you can? This game has nothing to do with a sandbox MMO.

I'm not saying that it is a bad game. But just very restricted in what you can do in it. The person you quoted just realised that there is not enough variety in it for him.

Tehre is a reason why it's called MMOFPS (not MMORPG). MMO aloen doesn't have to do much with sandbox term.

Everyone should have in mind tho that PS2 is mainly a shooter. The rest is built up on top of that. It's put in a massive world which allows many people to play in. This gives the right to an MMO prefix... Which further opens up room for big scale strategy for clans. Only on top of all that it has an rpg element (unlocking weapons and skills).

But yeah considering people slap sandbox on pretty much everything these days that's pretty acurate actualy.

If there was an -fps sandbox- than Planetside2 definitely is that. (ofc in it's own boundries of being a shooter!!)

Originally posted by StarI

Tehre is a reason why it's called MMOFPS (not MMORPG). MMO aloen doesn't have to do much with sandbox term.

Everyone should have in mind tho that PS2 is mainly a shooter. The rest is built up on top of that. It's put in a massive world which allows many people to play in. This gives the right to an MMO prefix... Which further opens up room for big scale strategy for clans. Only on top of all that it has an rpg element (unlocking weapons and skills).

But yeah considering people slap sandbox on pretty much everything these days that's pretty acurate actualy.

If there was an -fps sandbox- than Planetside2 definitely is that. (ofc in it's own boundries of being a shooter!!)

Planetside 2 is not a sandbox. As there is no sandbox.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by JeroKane

unlocking weapons and skills doesnt make it an RPG either, oddly enough image

Originally posted by Phry

Not sure if sarcasm, but jsut to be sure, it's not really odd is it.

I mean if you mount wings to a car it won't become an airplane and people won't call it an airplane.

But if it makes more people buy it (ie people like it) than why not.

The regular shooters out there (bf, cod, etc) already had this for years. Nothing new. Move along. Move along. ;-)

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Krashner

With that kind of logic there's no point to mmos in general, just do raids to get gear to make the raid you just did easier.

Not really.

In standard MMOs you win your gear and progress through tiers, you have a feeling you are building up on something (better gear + harder raids), there is a sense of achievement.

With PS2 there is no feeling of achievement, you win a base, and you lose it 5 minutes later.

You win the next base and you lose it 5 mins later, and so on.

That is ok for a Multiplayer game like CoD or BF, but for a MMO is a pointless waste of resources

PS2 is fun for  the first few hours, but then you think, oh CoD Black Ops 2 is out, why on earth should I play this game over that?

IMO save the money and buy Black Op 2, much better game.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by ste2000

Not really.

In standard MMOs you win your gear and progress through tiers, you have a feeling you are building up on something (better gear + harder raids), there is a sense of achievement.

With PS2 there is no feeling of achievement, you win a base, and you lose it 5 minutes later.

That is ok for a Multiplayer game like CoD or BF, but for a MMO is a pointless waste of resources

PS2 is fun for  the first few hours, but then you think, oh CoD Black Ops 2 is out, why on earth should I play this game over that?

Yeeaaah first of all Planetside 2 is completely free, that means aquire as well ,and comparing PS2 to COD Black ops LOL yeah just constantly send in your killstreaks ok thats fun, then the game ends YAY Super fun! Why the hell should I play planetside 2 when PS2 hasa persistant FPS world , a team based game, nah I'll go grab me some COD and deal with the hackers!

But your right, not everyone is going to like or understand PS2 , it's just alittle to hardcore for you at the moment.

Actualy yes , PS2 is a sandbox, just like SWG was., if you don't think so then what is your opinion of what a sandbox is? Example, Shadow bane, SWG ,Vanguard , Fallen earth ect.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    I'm personally having great fun.  It's different and a change of scenary is a good thing.  I was playing BF3 recently, before that EQ, so I'm not a strict FPS or MMO junky, I kinda like them all.  This game gives you a bit of both worlds and I like it.  It's not gonna be for everybody, but I"ll say I played for a few hours and had a great time playing for free.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by ste2000

Not really.

Are you attempting to cram as many bad comparisons as possible in one post?

CoD, BF, Raiding, PS2. <--- Really?

You dont buy PS2 it's F2P, so go buy BO2; but its not the same kind of game so you can play them both.

As for the base turnover, I don't know what you expect. If you don't want to lose that base then post some security there instead of zerging.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Aeolron

Actualy yes , PS2 is a sandbox, just like SWG was., if you don't think so then what is your opinion of what a sandbox is? Example, Shadow bane, SWG ,Vanguard , Fallen earth ect.

all that crafting and player made housing in PS2, not to mention the free form character development, the ability to play the game without having to kill something perhaps, oh wait.. there isnt any, kind of hard to have a sandbox without any sand..  but the games you mentioned, some of them are actually.. yes shocking i know.. but.. they are actually 'themepark games'  but if you'd played them you'd know that right ? image

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

I wish people wouldn't base their experiences of the game by their view alone and assume that everyone is in the same boat, the game runs great for me, maybe try adjusting some settings shown in the link below.

One thing i have learned, is never buy amd if you want to play MMO's, always, always go nvidia, amd are just awful in this genre, nvidia already have drivers for PS2 and have had since beta, amd's will come, but when is always the question.

Increasing performance for planetside 2.

Originally posted by ignore_me

As for the base turnover, I don't know what you expect. If you don't want to lose that base then post some security there instead of zerging.

The RPG part of the game (unlocking weapons and upgrades) makes many people go the standard brainless themepark shinies hunter mentality. People feel like they have to get exp as efficiently as possible untill they have everything they want unlocked. Fun comes second. Arguably, fun for many IS getting new weapons, not as much as shooting with those weapons.

And because many suck at fragging the power of brainless zerging is the obvious tool as long as it gets your exp easy enaugh.

Sad but that's a prelevant mentality for majority of people.

Gladly there will always be planty of shooting for an avid fps fan so it doesn't matter all that much.

Originally posted by Aeolron

all that crafting and player made housing in PS2, not to mention the free form character development, the ability to play the game without having to kill something perhaps, oh wait.. there isnt any, kind of hard to have a sandbox without any sand..  but the games you mentioned, some of them are actually.. yes shocking i know.. but.. they are actually 'themepark games'  but if you'd played them you'd know that right ? image

A sandbox world mmo , is a freeform game meaning you can go where you please in a massive scale, what you made out to be a example is a different Type of mmorpg , this is a mmofps and yes it is a sandbox.

Not all sandboxes have what you said they have, just because some offer crafting , housing ect doesn't mean PS2 isn't a sandbox. PS2 ( SOE ) aleady stated that they will be adding player bases in the future, and actualy yes, there is a free form character devolpment , you get certs by taking over bases , killing other players ect and place those certs into over a hundred different skills or upgrades , not one person with be the same with skill upgrades and what have you.

Now I am not trying to bash you or insult you , but if your going to mention eve in this , it's the exact same theory, if you call PS2 a theme park then Eve is a theme park as well, sure there's " Crafting " but a game like Eve's stregth caters to PvP just like PS2 does, Theme parks are very very limited on where you can go and how much loading you do from zone A to zone B, , because there have been theme parks with the housing you mentioned in them as well, also crafting and what have you.

I also didn'tt notice any hubs in PS2 , save the " Bases" you have to defend and or own at that point.