Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unlocking more Char Slots is coming, but TBD

superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

11. For subscribers with more than 12 characters due to the server consolidation, will they have to purchase character slots to unlock them once the character slot restrictions are put in place?

That is the current plan, yes. We don’t think it’s fair to everyone else who wasn’t lucky enough to get this accidental side benefit from server merges. However, those additional characters aren’t lost, and players will easily be able to unlock those characters. The timeline for this is TBD.

That is good then, it seems from that we will be able to unlock more than 2 char slots soon

However, it is not good to unlock chars where you have more than 12 due to the server merge when you are subbing. I for one never wanted that in the first place - for all chars to be on one server. I would have been more happy having chars moved to another server and having only 8. I had chars on different servers for a reason, to create 2 legacies, and they wrecked everything when the servers merged, and had to delete some chars to take them out of the Legacy tree. Now they expect people to pay to unlock them, something we did not want, from their poor handling of server merges? They get greedier each day.

This is the reason why I do not want to pay a monthly sub to the game. EA do not deserve it, and it is not worth it. I have to now go recreate chars on another server, because they never gave the option to move chars to a different server. I will do it if I have the time, but I am certainly not wasting any more money on doing. The way they handle the game makes you in the end waste your time, especially when things can be done better, as have been proven countless times in other MMOs.

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by superniceguy

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

11. For subscribers with more than 12 characters due to the server consolidation, will they have to purchase character slots to unlock them once the character slot restrictions are put in place?

That is the current plan, yes. We don’t think it’s fair to everyone else who wasn’t lucky enough to get this accidental side benefit from server merges. However, those additional characters aren’t lost, and players will easily be able to unlock those characters. The timeline for this is TBD.

That is good then, it seems from that we will be able to unlock more than 2 char slots soon

However, it is not good to unlock chars where you have more than 12 due to the server merge when you are subbing. I for one never wanted that in the first place - for all chars to be on one server. I would have been more happy having chars moved to another server and having only 8. I had chars on different servers for a reason, to create 2 legacies, and they wrecked everything when the servers merged, and had to delete some chars to take them out of the Legacy tree. Now they expect people to pay to unlock them, something we did not want, from their poor handling of server merges? They get greedier each day.

This is the reason why I do not want to pay a monthly sub to the game. EA do not deserve it, and it is not worth it. I have to now go recreate chars on another server, because they never gave the option to move chars to a different server. I will do it if I have the time, but I am certainly not wasting any more money on doing. The way they handle the game makes you in the end waste your time, especially when things can be done better, as have been proven countless times in other MMOs.

I have 16 characters on one server and they are all playable.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Yeah for now, but according to that FAQ, st some time TBD 4 will get locked, and you will have to unlock them with CC

Yeah for now, but according to that FAQ, st some time TBD 4 will get locked, and you will have to unlock them with CC

I don't mind that, I just wish that they lock it when unlocks will be available. I want to get more anyway. Running out of alts /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

There's  nothing really appealing in the marketplace imo if you are a subscriber, and simce subscribers get cc every month, they will be able to buy the additional character slots without having to pay any extra money.

Again, it's only my opinion, but this is really no big deal. 

Originally posted by Dreskest

There's  nothing really appealing in the marketplace imo if you are a subscriber, and simce subscribers get cc every month, they will be able to buy the additional character slots without having to pay any extra money.

I agree no biggie. It's rare that any game gives you 12 characters anyway.

All depends on what they may add. In LOTRO I had loads of points accrued and unlocked char slots, then did not have enough points to buy Rohan. Should do in Dec though.

It also depends on the person. Those who quit and did not sub by F2P or by next month, will have no CC, and will now face another hurdle in having to unlock their characters as well. Also other people may use their CC to buy stuff either for themselves or other players to put on GTN and not know of this, and then when the time comes have no CC left to play their chars, and if they knew about it may have held on to their CC

It is the principle of it really, They let you have the slots and then take them away. Personally they should have waited until F2P to merge servers and then do it, and be locked from the get go. Also if loads of players came back for F2P and stayed then some servers could have been saved.

It's rare that any game gives you 12 characters anyway.

Not really, EQ2 had about 12 on All Access, now it is F2P can buy more. Champions Online gets you 16 chars with lifetime subscriptuion, may be more now with F2P. LOTRO gets you 17 chars per server. City of Hreoes gets you 12 plus option to buy more

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Whoa now, let me get this straight.  You're saying that people who have subscribed in the past and made characters in the past and continue to subscribe and actively play the game are going to soon have to also buy character slots in order to continue to play the characters they've already created and invested time in?

Not really, EQ2 had about 12 on All Access, now it is F2P can buy more. Champions Online gets you 16 chars with lifetime subscriptuion, may be more now with F2P. LOTRO gets you 17 chars per server. City of Hreoes gets you 12 plus option to buy more

When I played EQ2 All Access was not giving 12 characters. Right now EQ2 gold gives 7 characters.

As for LOTRO: you have 5 +2 characers from Moria - rest you may purchase. So initially it was just 5.

Players may have up to maximum 17 characters per server per account; the base limitations are:

• Subscribers (VIP) are limited to five characters
    • Premium players are limited to three characters
    • Free to Play players are limited to two characters

To the base limitations you may add two character slots with the Mines of Moria expansion, and you may purchase as many as 10 additional character slots per server per account from the Lotro Store.

I am sure additional character slots will come soon.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

true

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Whoa now, let me get this straight.  You're saying that people who have subscribed in the past and made characters in the past and continue to subscribe and actively play the game are going to soon have to also buy character slots in order to continue to play the characters they've already created and invested time in?

Nothing is set in stone yet. There will be enough crying on forums that this probably is not going to happen. I will keep eye on this.

When I played EQ2 All Access was not giving 12 characters. Right now EQ2 gold gives 7 characters.

As for LOTRO: you have 5 +2 characers from Moria - rest you may purchase. So initially it was just 5.

Players may have up to maximum 17 characters per server per account; the base limitations are:

• Subscribers (VIP) are limited to five characters
    • Premium players are limited to three characters
    • Free to Play players are limited to two characters

To the base limitations you may add two character slots with the Mines of Moria expansion, and you may purchase as many as 10 additional character slots per server per account from the Lotro Store.

I am sure additional character slots will come soon.

I am just comparing them mainly as they are now with F2P.

EQ2 allowed 12 chars with All Access before it went F2P, as they increased the slots with expansions. I currently have 13 chars and have only bought 1 char slot. Now you can buy more char slots in F2P, you can get more than 12 or even 13, so they may have changed things now, as there seems to be no char slot bonus any more, but not sure of the cap as have not reached it

SWTOR only allowed 8 to begin with.

It is not rare to have 12 chars, especially MMOs in F2P, they all seem to. None have locked chars out once you have them, when on the highest tier of subbing, and STO even allows you to keep them once go from sub to free, although if you purchase 2 extra char slots in F2P from subbing, you only get 1 to compensate the limit of subbing vs free