Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I consider using this netbook for mmos?

ChororoChororo Member Posts: 1

Planning to get a netbook for school (LIES ALL LIES) and wondering if it could be used for decent gaming. Pretty horrible but last hope since desktop tower died...can barely do anything with mother's laptop. Upgrading RAM is an option if needed. Here is the netbook that I am recieving as a gift:

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-LT2104u-1-66GHz-LED-Backlit-Netbook/dp/B003FJYOPA#productDetails

Edit: This is a gift already bought for me and thanks for info~ Really helpful things and since it was a hand-me-down I wouldn't expect it to run any better than it does now.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

No.

It wont work for any 3d intensive games. Maybe some older games, but not many.

On the bright side its a nice gift and should work great for school.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

I hope that's a hand-me-down from someone giving it away because they don't have any use for it and can't find anyone who does, and not something that someone is going to buy new for you.  Because "runs on that netbook" could practically be taken as the definition of "runs on anything".  From processor to graphics to memory to hard drive to monitor to OS, there might not be a single part in the entire system with parts chosen on any basis besides "let's pick the cheapest one that kind of works".

If you want to use it for MMOs, there are some games that will run on it, and even be playable.  Look for system requirements that mention something like a Pentium II or Pentium III for the processor (as opposed to a Pentium 4, D, T, G, or anything else more recent), or a processor speed of 1 GHz or lower.  Anything launched before about 2005 has a decent chance of being playable if it hasn't gotten a graphics upgrade over the years.  Assuming the video drivers work, that is, which they might not.  Those graphics date back to before Intel pretended to care about graphics performance.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Netbooks aren't made for gaming...
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I hope that's a hand-me-down from someone giving it away because they don't have any use for it and can't find anyone who does, and not something that someone is going to buy new for you.  Because "runs on that netbook" could practically be taken as the definition of "runs on anything".  From processor to graphics to memory to hard drive to monitor to OS, there might not be a single part in the entire system with parts chosen on any basis besides "let's pick the cheapest one that kind of works".

If you want to use it for MMOs, there are some games that will run on it, and even be playable.  Look for system requirements that mention something like a Pentium II or Pentium III for the processor (as opposed to a Pentium 4, D, T, G, or anything else more recent), or a processor speed of 1 GHz or lower.  Anything launched before about 2005 has a decent chance of being playable if it hasn't gotten a graphics upgrade over the years.  Assuming the video drivers work, that is, which they might not.  Those graphics date back to before Intel pretended to care about graphics performance.

Ummm way to trash someones gift to him. o.0

Sometimes a little tact may be in order. Being honest is one thing.....

It may not be what I would choose to gift someone, but if they are buying it for him at a cheap price then it will probably do what its intended purpose is. Which seems to be school related stuff. Writing papers, online research, taking notes, ect. which it should do OK at.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Ummm way to trash someones gift to him. o.0

Sometimes a little tact may be in order. Being honest is one thing.....

It may not be what I would choose to gift someone, but if they are buying it for him at a cheap price then it will probably do what its intended purpose is. Which seems to be school related stuff. Writing papers, online research, taking notes, ect. which it should do OK at.

On tact, perhaps.  I'm not especially tactful.  Sorry.

On working for its intended purpose, not necessarily.  Taking notes on a laptop is a bad idea for most students, as whatever the theoretical merits, in the real world it tends to be a form of not paying attention in class more so than a form of taking notes.

For writing papers, it can be made to work.  But it will probably be markedly worse for that purpose than the desktop I bought way back in 1998, if it still runs.

For web browsing, it will be hit and miss.  Some pages will work and some won't.  You'll generally be fine on pure text pages or still images.  Videos are completely out of the question, however.

If someone is buying it for him, that's a mistake.  Better to put the money elsewhere toward a device that will reliably work.  If someone has already bought it and is giving it away, that's a different matter.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I do think alot of MMOs can be playable on cheap laptops since they are designed for low end hardware first.  I would not expect it to play anything new though.  If you do decide to get a cheap laptop, then get an AMD.  They simply offer a better cheap laptop that can actually play alot of games.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Also take into account that the Atom N45 is a single core cpu, so you might get problems running  even old MMOs.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;