Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about skill challenges

Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I noticed after looking at several maps that there are skill challenges in all of the starting areas. So if I want to get my max amount of skill points, do I have to go to each starting area and do all the skill challeges from every starter zone along with all the other skill challenges through out the game?  Or is there more skill challenges in the game than I can have in skill points?

Comments

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    There's some skill points in every single map, lvl 80 zones even have a higher count. Don't worry, you won't have any problems unlocking all of your utilities skill along the way, no need to go get skill challenges from other maps if you don't want to.
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I have not hit max level yet with any of my characters.  So I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure.  My highest level toon is a level 55 with 2 others close by. 

What I can tell you is that you shouldnt have to worry about it.  There is no reason to go trotting into other starter zones for skill point challenges.  Just level along, go to other zones as you would naturally and you should have more than enough for what you need. 

You can only have 3 on your bar at a time (besides the healing one) so choose carefully what skills look the most useful to you, and buy them as needed as you go along.  For instance I am level 55 like I mentioned and I have around 41 skill points I havent even used yet.  I do need to buy an elite skill I guess for 30 points.  Havent quite done that yet.  But even still that would leave me with more than I really need. 

You should be fine.  Just play, advance to zones that are level appropriate, try to explore the zones you go into entirely as you get rewards for zone completion and have fun.  No worries. 

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    No.  But if you want to complete maps then yes. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

What's the cap on skill points?

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    There is no cap on how many skill points you can have, but I think around 120 are needed to unlock all available skills. My 80 has all skills unlock and over 300 skills banked just from over leveling and map completion, they can be used to buy items that allow you to get legendarys.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    You don't have to go to other race's zones to get skill points as others have already replied. There have been times when I have done it anyway because I was in a hurry to get the next expensive skill for instance after dinging 30 and not having enough points banked to buy an elite skill right away.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

plus some recipes for upgraded siege weapons legendary weapon who also need 100% of maps completed, and other recipe who needs items who cost skill point.

pretty much you get skills point after lvl 80, for every new lvl traits who are the one you start to get on after lvl 10 is capped on 70 points.

you can unlock every skill save for one with is the digital deluxe box(you can buy the upgrade in the cs) and you still will ahve a lot of points to get and spend

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I have over 300 skill credits and nothing to spend them on.  Or rather things I want to spend them on.  Knowing Anets track record they are bound to add things that will need skill points in the future (hopefully more skills) so I will jsut sit on them.  Ohh and I have every skill unlocked on my main as well.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

I was just playing around with a skill calculator and the most points it would give me is 70. Yet on this thread some people say they have over three hundred. So why can I only use seventy skill points? Now I am confused.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

I was just playing around with a skill calculator and the most points it would give me is 70. Yet on this thread some people say they have over three hundred. So why can I only use seventy skill points? Now I am confused.

Those aren't skill points you're putting in.  They're trait points.  You get one of them every level starting with level 11.  They have nothing to do with the skill points you see on the map.  

Originally posted by Homitu
    Those aren't skill points you're putting in.  They're trait points.  You get one of them every level starting with level 11.  They have nothing to do with the skill points you see on the map.  

LOL, Now I'm even more confused. So what are the skill points used for? And I take it 70 is the max for the trait points?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Blazer6992
    Originally posted by Homitu

LOL, Now I'm even more confused. So what are the skill points used for? And I take it 70 is the max for the trait points?

SP are used to acquire utilities (Slot Skills), like Healing, Traps(for Rangers), Hounds of Balthazar, etc. These things appear on our skillbars, unlike traits which are passive.

And yes, Trait points are capped at 70, as for SP, I don't know, since we keep on getting 1 SP for every "level" past 80.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

What is so confusing?

Skill points allow you to unlock skills. There's no cap on how much you can have. (for example I have over 400, and unclocked all skill). Once you get to level 80 and complete all skill challenges you still get skill point if you get 254 000 exp on lv 80. You have have 1 000 000 skill points if you want. Some mystic forge recipes require items that are bought using skill points. You will use this in end-game once you learn the game.

Trait points allow you to unlock trait lines. These are limited to 70. You get 1 every time you level up starting at lv 10. Once you spent all of them on traits, you can reset them for a small fee at trainer if you wish to make different trait build.

Still confused?