Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

"What if Disney gave YOU the decision to choose the developer of the next Star Wars MMORP...who woul

1235789

Comments

  • FromHellFromHell NY, NYPosts: 1,311Member

    Red 5,  Funcom or Chris Roberts.

    Or back to the roots with Sony, no problem with that.

    Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

    Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
    .


    .
    The Return of ELITE !
    image

  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Vancouver, WAPosts: 781Member Common
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    I'd tell them to give it up. No Star Wars MMO is going to live up to the hype..a frenzy which we create ourselves with our ridiculous expectations. Even if a developer were to give us everything they promised we would take offense that the game lacked all we dreamed up in our heads. Its a lose/lose for the developer.

     Give up on one of the biggest IP ever because a couple of developers failed. Makes sense... SWTOR didn't fail because of the fans, if anything SWTOR's only success was the frenzy of prepurchases from fans of the IP and Bioware.

    If anyone can right the ship and give the IP the attention it deserves - it's the gigantic coorporation known as Disney. Like others said, the best thing that could of happened to Starwars and its fans is for a big company that knows what they are doing to purchase the rights.

    Not sure how you read my post ..but it obvious I believe we failed in having realistic expectations. Games are crap because we overhype . I still talk to people who thought SWTOR was going to look like the trailers....seriously. When developers fall short and things aren't fixed immediately...tons of players bail. Which lowers revenue and keeps the problem fixes coming at an even slower pace. Then more people leave. Its endless.Biowares first MMO and most were ready to burn them at the stake a week in. It seems the time we give something a chance to evolve in mmoland becomes less and less. Idk. I think Star Wars may be best left to single play...or for something like battlefront multi-play style.

     I haven't met any of these people who thought the game would be like the trailers, infact I seriously doubt anyone who ever played a game would think that. But either way, that would be the fault of the devs proclaiming thier game would more than compete with WoW. If anyone had unrealistic expectations - it was Bioware.

     

    You say that a SW MMO could never meet expectations, that is hard to argue with considering the two examples we have. My counter point would be that both SW games were buggy messes, launched way before they should of been, and that fault rests squarely on the shoulders of those two developers, not the gamers. I'd be willing to bet the farm that if it was Blizzard making SWTOR and not Bioware, we would not be talking about the game as a failure.

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Better chance of winning the lottery, this will never happen.  SW MMO's are done being attempted.

    Yeah, that make sense, especially with Disney mapping out like 25 years worth of future Star Wars entertainment....  /rolls eyes.

    Hang onto that pipe dream buddy, they will stick with console gaming single/co-op rps/adventure titles.  Disney's MMO's suck the big one. 

    image

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,669Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by adam_nox

    BTW, I find the idea of a third star wars mmo interestingly possible now that the third trilogy will be made.  They could definitely fit one in to a different period than either of the first 2.  Let's hope something good comes of this.

    There already is a third one: Clone Wars Adventures

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • PoporiPopori Hickory Grove, SCPosts: 334Member

    I'd vote for any, any dev team that was allowed to target a set audiance and appeal to them instead of a mass markey approach.

    In my opinion most recent MMOs fail because they try to do a lot of things kinda well instead of a set list really well.  Pick a demographic and give them what they want.  There are enough MMOs out there for the other guys, or enough upstarts to pick up where you drop off.

    Its nice to dream, I know, but it seems that these overly niche-targeted hardcore pvp devs are the only ones taking risks and saying to hell with what 'everyone' wants, we're here for 'you guys.'  Unfortunately the hardcore pvp market is too small for that way of thinking to seem profitable enough to catch on.

  • defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Common
    all but EA involved
  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member
    Trion because of support, technical solidity and Rift's business model with addition of some best SWG devs and task to make sandbox.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Better chance of winning the lottery, this will never happen.  SW MMO's are done being attempted.

    Yeah, that make sense, especially with Disney mapping out like 25 years worth of future Star Wars entertainment....  /rolls eyes.

    Hang onto that pipe dream buddy, they will stick with console gaming single/co-op rps/adventure titles.  Disney's MMO's suck the big one. 

    No pipe-dream at all.  SWTOR will likely be gone within 2-3 years and I'm sure there are plenty of companies out there that would like to take a shot at it.  You'd be surprised what a company will do when they are $4 Billion in the red on an investment. We may not see anything for 5-10 years, but I think there will probably always be a Star Wars MMO on the market.

    Disney probably won't mind licensing it to multiple companies either, because why not?  They are talking now about potentially making multiple SW movies per year.  They don't live under the thumb of Lucas and his strange business decisions.

    A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  • gordiflugordiflu BarcelonaPosts: 757Member
    I would simply make Mr. Roberts and the Schaeffer brothers team up. Mr. Roberts would take care of creating the universe and the core mechanics, and the Schaeffer brothers would be taking care of itemization, PVP balance and similar stuff. Total win.
  • eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon
    Utherverse - Red Light Center meets Twilek slave girls

    All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

    I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

    I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

  • sapphensapphen Madison, NCPosts: 911Member Common
    Fund an indie group with paid support/consulting from MMO experts.
  • KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member
    I hate to even be saying this, but I'd go with Blizzard, hands down.
  • Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 istanbulPosts: 121Member

    absolute NO 1 = Valve ...after that CCP  (EvE)

                           2= Obsidian / Bethesda

     

    Flush the rest down the toilet

     

  • rdrakkenrdrakken Gotham, FLPosts: 426Member

    I would chose NOBODY.

    Just because a good game was made by them in the past does not mean they can do it again in the future and this genre is overflowing with examples...in fact, I can name nobody that has worked on 2 or more MMORPGs that did not fail to meet MY standards.

    And thats the thing isnt it. My standards for an MMO like Guild Wars is not the same as my standard for an MMO like Star Trek, one is a made up sword and sorc world, the other is a known setting from a TV show/movie in a Sci-Fi setting...same goes with a City of heroes which is comic-book based...or EvE which is space-sim based.

    The ability to make one of those well does not mean they can do the other...and with Star Wars the standard is even more different than that...I expect a Star Wars game to be above and beyond what is already out there, or was out there. The Star Wars Universe is big, diverse and a game must reflect that...and no game has ever done it. No...SWG did not, it was generic from the ground up.

  • DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member
    Funcom or Trion. I feel they are the only devs moving away from wow clones atm.

    Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

  • JabshakkJabshakk Independence, MOPosts: 16Member Uncommon
    I say Let SOE have another go at it :)
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Pacific Northwest, WAPosts: 682Member
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

    Valve, but it would never happen.

    They know a dead horse when they see it.

    Dead horse?  Disney is about to make Star Wars a household topic again, and in fact they already have by purchasing the IP.  If they make a great Episode VII, it's game on again for the whole franchise.  Tor is not going to be the game that people want to play when these movies come out.  Not without significant changes.

    A household topic again?

    I should probably go so I can start weaving that noose I'm going to use to hang myself this weekend.

    image Oooo....they could get Carrie Fisher to re-create her original role. A big line of coke from her house to the studio should do the trick.

    Optional PvP = No PvP
  • FromHellFromHell NY, NYPosts: 1,311Member
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Funcom or Trion. I feel they are the only devs moving away from wow clones atm.

    ^ good choice

    but who is doing the space part? I have a railshooter trauma

    Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

    Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
    .


    .
    The Return of ELITE !
    image

  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member
    Originally posted by Anthara
    Originally posted by jayheld90
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Id give it back  to Bioware.  Id also give them unlimited budget, unlimited time and stay out of their way.

    i have to agree with this. the only reason both of them bombed so badly is because Lucas Arts wouldnt keep thier fingers out of it. If Bioware had gotten to do whatever it wanted, it would have been a much greater success. (as well as SWG)

    Did you guys ever had a job? Worked with people with great responsabilitys and proud of their work? I think not.

    Bioware signed a contract with them, they were aware of their crap. Can't really excuse anyone who signed a contract with a company that said "I want to put my fingers on it".

    If your talking about them being taken over by EA. No Bioware had no say in that deal. It wasn't a hostile take over per say, but it was a very very clever take over. 

    In worse case, Bioware bosses aren't proud of their jobs so they let anyone put their fingers on their crap.

    Considering the games we got out of Bioware pre EA take over, I would say that the now ex-bioware executives were very proud of what they created. It was destroyed out of sheer badluck. 

    No one responsible would let their work to be changed, spited on... etc by anyone else. Best they could do was to leave their seats.

    They did leave. Unfortunately they were under contract the minute they were taken over by EA and had no say in the direction of the game. Why do you think it took them so long to release the game, even though it had been in development prior to the EA takeover... Redevelopment into the EA model.

    I'm not beeing dramatic, I'm beeing completly realistic. That's what SERIOUS people do.

    Yet you are illiterate and filled to the brim with false information, if thats what serious people do... I think I would rather be a clown. 

    If you guys think the game ended the crap it did cause of EA, you guys are the biggest Bioware fanboys I ever saw.

    Or your just blind to the fact that Bioware and Post EA Bioware are two entirely different entities. 

    Bioware pre EA was soley Bioware. 

    Bioware Post EA was Bioware/Mythic... and we all know Mythics track record after the DAoC team left. 

    You sell your soul to the devil and then blame the devil for it.

    Once again do some research on how Bioware was taken over and you wouldn't spout nonsense like this. 

    Not to mention that EA gave them shitloads of money, wich they wouldn't be able to make the game without it.

    EA gave them "shitloads" of money to make the game EA wanted, not the game Bioware wanted. 

     

    Silly, uninformed people are silly. 

     

    As for the ontopic: 

     

    I would give it to XLGames, CCP or TRION. All three are great development studios in my mind, with quality products. 

    "In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

  • DeeweDeewe Long Beach, CAPosts: 1,965Member
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by Anthara
    Originally posted by jayheld90
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Id give it back  to Bioware.  Id also give them unlimited budget, unlimited time and stay out of their way.

    i have to agree with this. the only reason both of them bombed so badly is because Lucas Arts wouldnt keep thier fingers out of it. If Bioware had gotten to do whatever it wanted, it would have been a much greater success. (as well as SWG)

    Did you guys ever had a job? Worked with people with great responsabilitys and proud of their work? I think not.

    Bioware signed a contract with them, they were aware of their crap. Can't really excuse anyone who signed a contract with a company that said "I want to put my fingers on it".

    If your talking about them being taken over by EA. No Bioware had no say in that deal. It wasn't a hostile take over per say, but it was a very very clever take over. 

    In worse case, Bioware bosses aren't proud of their jobs so they let anyone put their fingers on their crap.

    Considering the games we got out of Bioware pre EA take over, I would say that the now ex-bioware executives were very proud of what they created. It was destroyed out of sheer badluck. 

    No one responsible would let their work to be changed, spited on... etc by anyone else. Best they could do was to leave their seats.

    They did leave. Unfortunately they were under contract the minute they were taken over by EA and had no say in the direction of the game. Why do you think it took them so long to release the game, even though it had been in development prior to the EA takeover... Redevelopment into the EA model.

    I'm not beeing dramatic, I'm beeing completly realistic. That's what SERIOUS people do.

    Yet you are illiterate and filled to the brim with false information, if thats what serious people do... I think I would rather be a clown. 

    If you guys think the game ended the crap it did cause of EA, you guys are the biggest Bioware fanboys I ever saw.

    Or your just blind to the fact that Bioware and Post EA Bioware are two entirely different entities. 

    Bioware pre EA was soley Bioware. 

    Bioware Post EA was Bioware/Mythic... and we all know Mythics track record after the DAoC team left. 

    You sell your soul to the devil and then blame the devil for it.

    Once again do some research on how Bioware was taken over and you wouldn't spout nonsense like this. 

    Not to mention that EA gave them shitloads of money, wich they wouldn't be able to make the game without it.

    EA gave them "shitloads" of money to make the game EA wanted, not the game Bioware wanted. 

     

    Silly, uninformed people are silly. 

     

    As for the ontopic: 

     

    I would give it to XLGames, CCP or TRION. All three are great development studios in my mind, with quality products. 

    I tend to disagree, read below:

     

     

    Originally posted by Deewe
    **snip

    For the record it was part of the deal when EA bought BioWare. The latter requested to have free reign over the development of TOR.

    At a point EA was worried the game development wasn't going as fast as needed.  BioWare sold to EA they needed more time. They also had EA agree into having money spend into the Voiced Over Players Characters.

    EA signed the check and at some point when they realised BioWare was nowhere close to have finished the game and would take eons to finish it they set a hard date. Btw, initially the game was scheduled to launch more than 1 year before it did.

    The below articles will give you a glimpse of what actually happened. Even the producers acknowledged they where clueless at managing such a big project.

     

     

     

    You can blame EA for having set a hard date, but you can't for having hindered its development nor its design choices nor even build such a poor engine.

     

  • KingGatorKingGator Tampa, FLPosts: 428Member Uncommon
    I would give it to Trion.
  • SendenSenden PrivatePosts: 585Member Uncommon

    Wow GW2 is either so bad that people don't even want to give ANet a mention or it's so great that players see no value coming into other games sections. 

    Personally I'd give it to Blizzard and tell them to create WoW 2.0 in a Star Wars mould. While I generally dislike Activision, if they had the Star Wars license, I think they'd invest the right sort of money required to make it succeed. They have the two biggest gaming IPs going at the moment imho, they understand success and how to sustaint it.  Blizzard not only have the talent, but the experience especially in creating a faction vs faction game, take everything they've learned with WoW, understand that this time they need to push the genre forward, steal a few ideas from games like GW2 and boom, you got yourself a cash cow big enough hopefully to give Bobby Kotick a heartattack. 

    Also it goes without saying that there should be a proper space section to the game and that CCP or whoever the eve online developers are should be the ones to make it. 

     

    For the ground stuff though, other than Blizzard, I'd want

     

    Arena Net - GW2 beta was a lot of fun and they know how to make a great pvp experience which would be extremely important to a SW's game. I think they'd have to ditch the 8 abilities thing they have. 

     

    Bethesda - a slight gamble but one which would pay off providing they got the right people in to help them craft their fantastic team into MMO designers.  This would also probably go down very well with the SWG faithful who will probably be quite vocal and would get behind a developer with a proven record in sandbox experiences. 

     

    Rocksteady - Thought I'd add a ridiculous one but one which has a lot of potential. The Arkham games are AMAZING and hands down the best combat I've ever exprienced in a game. If any developer could potentially create the next generation of MMO games, it's Rocksteady, if they could somehow merge the combat from Arkham games into something that fits an MMO game without sacrificing too much, that could be huge. This would also allow for a console release which I think Disney will want. Not only this, they've also shown that they know how to nurture and respect established IPs and create great experiences around that. 

  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 grenoblePosts: 107Member Uncommon
    Cryptic Studios
  • wickymageewickymagee glenwood springs, COPosts: 43Member
    CCP hands down
  • windwavewindwave syndeyPosts: 20Member Uncommon

    CCP

     

    However......

     

    I'd give developers who've known to make great games but have never make a MMO a try:

    Rockstar

    Gearbox

    or even Irrational games

     

Sign In or Register to comment.