Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: The Lost Shores

13»

Comments

• MsFitMsFit Home, ALPosts: 24Member Uncommon

For me, GW2 has been fail all around. From a hacked account on the first day that took way too long to address with no info coming from the Customer Support at all, to a Halloween event that was no where near as awesome as the GW1 events, and now a bugged event that lacked anything resembling interesting.

Both events suffered from a lack of clear direction. All I saw were people having no clue what was going on, or how to participate in the events, and once again, a lack of communication from the Devs. I missed the event on Fri and the one on Sat was 30 min late starting. Some people even missed the event because they were at the fountain in LA and had no idea the event was elsewhere. Then the whole event was bleh, so I passed on Sun.

Think I'm done with GW2, it just hasn't been enough of a fun experience, though there are some things I like about it. Just not enough.

• TokkenTokken Portland, ORPosts: 1,154Member Uncommon

Boo Hiss! The event as a whole was a FAIL. I enjoyed Phase 2 for awhile and enjoyed exploring the island.... but overall I think they could have done better.

The BIG event at the first phase should have been ongoing (on and off during the day) in Lion's Arch so everyone can experience it to get immersed into the story. The only time they gave us was not good at all.

Brad McQuaid Quote:  So, God-willing, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team and I will be able to make or allow that magic to happen a third time, and it too will be not just a great game, but also that catalyst again that brings people together, sometimes out of their comfort zone, learning how to work together not just tactically in a virtual world but also socially in the real world.
  • GilwenGilwen HelsinkiPosts: 48Member Uncommon

The event was a disaster.

Why I say that? Well the first part was lagged so much that there were over minute delays on abilities and clicking on the quest NPC. And the problem wasn't poor computers or connections, it was puerely the number of people in the area and the fact that the program can't handle that. Sure there were multiple overflow's (my group was divided between three after the start of the event) and when you died you got dumped on one of them randomly. It really wasn't fun fighting in those conditions.

The new creatures were nice addition, but we were able to damage them from start, not like they colums suggests, and had no problem killing them. Not sure if it was because of the huge number of people, but the few damage indicators I saw indicated that I did normal damage on them.

Then came the part to find out more about the creatures. As the column said the NPC's were bugged and only small number of people were able to progress on that. Got my own finished on sunday afternoon, after several patches that they made trying to fix the issues.

Then the second phase. It was advertised as fight to gain back control of the Lion's Arch city. At no time was Lion's Arch under enemy occupation, was really expecting them to shut down LA and we would have to fight to get it back (don't bother saying because it is the hub. All of the other five major cities can act as hubs too as they also have banks and such in them). Unfortunately I was inside the new dungeon at the start and it took us 5-10 minutes to get out. The event lasted whole 1.34 minutes and then it was over. People were complaining that the monsters would fall down dead as soon as they spawned.

After the event came the possibility of going to the new zone/island. When we got there, there started an Dynamic Event to clear the beach between landing points. That part was fun and actually brought the story forward. after that the same NPC wanted roads build and went on to check the island as a new Dynamic Event. What followed was a tour of the island along with just about all waypoints and Point's of Interest, really boring and took out all the self exploration out of it. Really mad at myself for deciding to follow that NPC.

Didin't take part of the last "super" event as I had seen what happens in the game when massive number of people decide to go to same place. Din't enjoy the first lag fest and wasn't going to go to another one.

Sure this was fun way of bringing new content and area to the game, but with the lags and bugs and poorly planned events the whole thing was a big let down.

We really thought the enemy would take over at least partially LA and then we would have to fight to get it back. Did that happen? No. The enemy made two appearances in LA and both times were wiped out.

We really thought that the enemy would be virtually impossible to damage until we found what they were vulnerable to. Did that happen? No. Sure the enemy had some nice protection, but was expeting more along the lines 75% damage immunity until made vulnerable.

We were expecting new and interesting zone. Did that happen? Yes and no. We got a new zone with one new enemy type and some new graphics. Too bad the zone is about the size of a major city (like Lion's Arch) and you run through it with the start up event. No exploration and discoveries left, and no vistas in the area either.

Thank you Anet for bringing us new content, but bad for you that you totally blew it.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Solon, MEPosts: 2,201Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Indrome
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    The map was too small (in my opinion), the Karka were oversized crabs(boring) (in my opinion), and the landscape of the island lacked originality as well (in my opinion). Overall I consider the event a fail. That's not even taking into consideration about the huge bugs.

Fixed that for you.

Personally, I loved it and am a satisfied customer not having paid a nickle for a whole weekend of world-spanning events and another one or two months of getting to know the new zone and dungeon. Both of which I find aesthetically very pleasing and well thought out.

And my fingers itch for whatever's to come next. (thanksgiving and christmas events to come... boy howdie!)

What are you? That judge from the Good Wife? Obviously it was his opinion... There is no need to say "in my opinion" after everything. It's creepy and weird.

As a siidenote, I think ANet isn't doing a very supuurb job with events. Why was the evnt only a weekend long? I ma in college and have a life, soit would have been nie if it had been a month long event as I don't have time to sit down as much as others do.

Smile

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

This one time event introduction was a big failure. Phase 1 invasion of LA was so laggy that my slot skills didn't even respond. Then there were the bugged npcs, which gave me nightmarish deja vu's of skill challenge npcs that stayed bugged for over a week. You keep checking back only to find it is still bugged(even though update notes said they fixed loads of skill challenge npcs).

Phase 2 recapture LA again was laggy. Not so much as first invasion though. But the Ancient Karka bugged out. On our server he was unkillable. We first thought not enough ppl knew about the solvent, but after checking players and being sure that most players were using the solving, we still only got him to about 80% hp and then he reset again. So instead we just danced on a wall next to the boss. This was my highlight of the event.

Couldn't bring myself to check Phase 3.

I'll see the new area and dungeon in the coming weeks. And I really hope that Winterfest next month will work a lot better.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM ZagrebPosts: 1,788Member

I see many complainers here. How much did you pay for this content? We've got an awesome dungeon that is better than all others combined (imo), has 10 times more replayability (randomizing, infinite levels of difficulty), new lv 80 zone, new type of exotic gear to craft, new tier of gear to play for (this last one is something I like only if they stop at this tier).

And it was all for free. You would pay at least $30 worth of monthly fees to get an update like this.

• Overfiend138Overfiend138 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 52Member
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Overall, I'd say the event was a massive failure.  I bet they lost more customers than they gained, due to all the issues.  Maybe if the new content were more impressive, that might have offset the problems of the event, but it's pretty minimal and lackluster.  It seems blatantly unfinished or something.

Really, I can't understand how anyone could call the event a success.

Can't really lose customers when they already paid for the game and there's no sub. Free new content = win. Rather than pay $50 for an expansion for a 9 year old game, i think its awesome. 

• VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member
    Originally posted by Overfiend138
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Overall, I'd say the event was a massive failure.  I bet they lost more customers than they gained, due to all the issues.  Maybe if the new content were more impressive, that might have offset the problems of the event, but it's pretty minimal and lackluster.  It seems blatantly unfinished or something.

Really, I can't understand how anyone could call the event a success.

Can't really lose customers when they already paid for the game and there's no sub. Free new content = win. Rather than pay $50 for an expansion for a 9 year old game, i think its awesome. 

Heh, that's a rather self-centered way of looking at it, but I doubt ANet or NCSoft sees it that way.  They still want to be making money, for as long as possible, you can be sure.  They didn't make the game B2P, just to be charitable.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

I see many complainers here. How much did you pay for this content? We've got an awesome dungeon that is better than all others combined (imo), has 10 times more replayability (randomizing, infinite levels of difficulty), new lv 80 zone, new type of exotic gear to craft, new tier of gear to play for (this last one is something I like only if they stop at this tier).

And it was all for free. You would pay at least $30 worth of monthly fees to get an update like this.

I think this is what is lost on all these arguments. We didn't pay for it (like with Rift's new expansion or WoW's or even GW1's) but I do think this was closer to what was done in GW1 with Sorrow's Furnace. I remember when that came out and people where gnashing teeth, saying how hard it was and what a waste of what A.Net did. It is all there on forums if you want to look it up. After a while people got used to the new content and 'BAM' was easy to play.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• cgniuscgnius LondonPosts: 18Member

Wasn't online for much of the weekend, and when I was online for the one time event, I was stuck in Overflow, and my low level (scaled to 80) Ele couldn't hold his own against multiple Karka so I kept dying without getting a res. In the end I gave up

So all in all, I can't say I enjoyed the weekend, but I don't feel like I missed all that much anyway. I certainly didn't expect anything as elaborate as the halloween event, which I thoroughly enjoyed even at a low level. I hope next month's event will be on the same scale

• bbbb42bbbb42 none, FLPosts: 297Member Uncommon
    this is not a sub game no one cares if you leave

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

I think this is what is lost on all these arguments. We didn't pay for it (like with Rift's new expansion or WoW's or even GW1's) but I do think this was closer to what was done in GW1 with Sorrow's Furnace. I remember when that came out and people where gnashing teeth, saying how hard it was and what a waste of what A.Net did. It is all there on forums if you want to look it up. After a while people got used to the new content and 'BAM' was easy to play.

If someone plans their weekend around a one time event and the event does not work for them at all, they have every right to complain about it.

I'm also sure that Arenanet does not agree with the person you quoted at all. The same weekend had free trials. You really think Anet was ok with the impression that last weekend might give to those ppl trying out the game?

Arenanet tries to make money. Their business plan is giving a lot of content updates for people who bought the game in the hope they will spend some extra in their gemstore. And to provide quality so that those same customers will buy expansion packs. They are not a charity.

This weekend completely failed at that and wasted time for many players who only encountered bugs, disconnects , lag. There is nothing fun about a bugged and laggy one time event.

• MilitantMilitant nyc, NYPosts: 48Member
    I think people need to distinguish between the added content and the EVENT! The EVENT was an overly hyped utter failure and the CONTENT is mixed.

EVENT:
    - bug riddled questline uncompletable for many
    - lag/connection issues largely NOT due to players but to servers unable to handle so many players (due to same time zoned servers)
    - lackluster in general

CONTENT:
    1. New zone:
    + small yes, but I actually like that
    + good flavor/looks
    + new crafting mats
    - crappy recipes for new mats
    - for a lvl 80 zone, crabs have very low drop rates and are way too tough to make it worth ur effort to farm (i farmed my 200 for monthly and not a single rare drop)
    - few DE

2. New dungeon:
    + excellent! Clearly the pride and joy of the release
    + 9 mini dungeons within 1 is very good.. Some can be completed in under 15min making it a great way to get in a quick dungeon
    - no way to choose which one you want to do (i understand the randomness and like it, but after moving up a level i feel you should get to choose which u want to do for a lower level)

OVERALL, we got a free new excellent dungeon but I honestly think a lot of players would have preferred and been happier that Anet just released it solo, without a bug filled frustrating event.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Tallahassee, FLPosts: 1,283Member

7/10

New zone and stuff to do was welcome, but they failed to fully deliver. Couldnt finish the main lore quests due to bugged npcs. Couldnt attend the launch event due to scheduling it during standard work hours, and couldnt complete final event due to disconnects.

• DeDroaDeDroa Bothell, WAPosts: 11Member
    I would have enjoyed the Karka junk if they weren't giant crabs and if they had not reminded me so much of the Zerg. No really, they had the creepy grey webs and everything. Giant crab infestation... couldn't they have just added a condition called "crabs" where your character gets a horrible rash and crys from the lonelyness.
13»