Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Celebrating Eight Years

2»

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Hokie

I was playing EVE actually. Thats not a smak towards WoW at all.

But I did have the elitist attiude of most EVE players at the time (and most still have), thats its a cartoon game for kids.

I found out about three years later that it was a damn fun game to play. I count it among some of my best MMO memories, with people I still have contact with, though somewhat irregularly.

Haha!-me too bro!

peeps at work were trying to get me to play during BC year- but was too involved with my corp! (4yrs).

Finally i gave it a shot-and it was pretty dam fun- cought the mini expansion , and entered the LK era - in beta and onward leveling to 85 was a blast!!!! Looking forward to cataclysm found other games that cought my interest- and well WoW will always have a fond memory  in my gaming.

• erodaeroda Member Posts: 6
    i remember exactly what i was doing, after midnight purchase, i spent the remainder of the day in the queue to get into the game, then when i did i lagged and then crashed , only to be in the queue once again
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Blizzard Entertainment has released a brand new video to celebrate the eighth anniversary of the world's top MMO, World of Warcraft. Where were YOU the day WoW opened? Tell us your story in the comments after checking out the video!

I was there in beta as well..and I miss the old WoW - as do many (I assume).  Long before cash shops and flying reindeer, panda bears and Tauren paladins...we had an amazing mmorpg.  Now folks either ressurect scroll toward end game or just solo quest to get through the easily forgotten zones of the past.  It's sad, really.  But that's the industry I suppose.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by wireded21

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Ah yes, I remember having fun in WOW 8 years ago, when my son (who was 12 at the time) and I first logged into Azeroth. Now he is 20 and so much has changed.

Well except that almost every MMO since then has been practically the same damn game.

How bizarre, same experience for me. I got into MMO's a few years before WoW. WoW was one of the first MMO's I played together with my Son who also is now 20.

Since then he's gone on to beome a bit more hardcore than myself... playing GW, DF, Rift, LoL... others...

My son continued to play WoW including all the expansions but stopped after Catacombs. I stopped after I hit level 30 on vanilla WoW and started playing SWG, PS, WWIIOnline.

My son and I played a few games after WOW together, LOTRO, AOC,& Rift being most notable, but he always stuck with WOW while I went off to play other MMOs such as EVE.

He and his friends stuck with it until early this year when the call of D3 & LOL caught hold of them. Only one of them bought into MOP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

"Asking why we fight is like asking why leaves fall."  Leaves fall because deciduous trees go dormant in the winter. Pandas aren't very bright. I guess that's why they're becoming extinct.

Grats Blizzard. So what are they going to do for the ten year anniversary?

I don't know about Panda's, but don't bears go dormant in winter too? /wink

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

maybe i got bored of it. maybe i had a wow overdose the past years. maybe maybe maybe...but hell even in its current state its by far the best and more complete mmo in the market.

i left many times to play eve, war, swtor, rift, gw2 but in the end i m always back. maybe only for a few months each time, but i always want a bit of wow taste.

thats what makes it unique, at least for me :)

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

"Asking why we fight is like asking why leaves fall."  Leaves fall because deciduous trees go dormant in the winter. Pandas aren't very bright. I guess that's why they're becoming extinct.

Grats Blizzard. So what are they going to do for the ten year anniversary?

Obviously your not very bright, watch the rest of the trailer he follows up with "because it is in there nature." Sounds correct to me, also meaning that fighting is in nature for humanoids. 

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I was not there at the very start, but I was there soon after. My memories were almost all positive, except for the server rollbacks. It was just so much fun! I made friends there that I still talk to, even if they mainly moved on from WoW.

The excitement of going to Wailing Caverns for the first time (first dungeon I went to), leaving the Valley of Trials and going into the big bad world and getting killed by a scorpion I didn't see, and PvPing in Stranglethorn Vale and just outside the Scarlet Monastary dungeon entrances forged some of the best memories. I had to level slowly since I was busy with irl around that time, but my guild made sure I had enough cash to get my first mount, and I did the same for those who hit 40 after me. I remember also starting up my tailoring business and selling bags I had made to players at Crossroads.

Even though there were bugs, lag, queues and rollbacks, the player community was very social back in those days. The game was much easier to die in too at low level, so people grouped up more often, even if it was just to quest out in the open world.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         Even though they ahve lost some subs the last couple of years, the game is still going incredibly strong....To have 10+ million subs 8 years after launch is insane.....I remember playing it in beta thinking most players would stay about 6 months and they would be lucky to reach one million....Boy was I ever wrong.....
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

this video was great.

Shame wow isnt anymore

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I have a lot of fond memories of WoW.

I have a feeling that we are all waiting for the next knockout experience.

VR + MMORPG perhaps?!