Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Do Graphics Matter?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In an increasingly crowded market, game makers are looking for the way to hook the most players. Graphics have become a standard of sorts in that effort. But, in the end, do they really matter? Find out in our latest Pokket Says and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Over time, the graphics in video games have evolved, that’s for sure. But one question on a lot of people’s minds is: Do they matter? Do they matter as much as good gameplay? Well, I know that isn’t the easiest question to answer with a solid “yes” or “no.” I do, however, believe they matter more than most gamers, especially the “hardcore” gamers, are willing to admit.

Read more of Hillary Nicole's Pokket Says: Do Graphics Matter?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Yes it matters unless the gameplay is superb like in many old games.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    They do matter to an extent. It doesn't have to look insane, yet shouldn't look like it's extremely dated.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

for me-yes-iam a graphic designer!-details details details!!

for some friends -no.-they are coders.

-go figure. apple dosent fall too far from the tree.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    They matter enough to get me to take a look at a game for at least a month.  I tried Tera simply due to the beautiful screenshots that players were posting.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    For many it doesn't. Many ppl play Minecraft without any texture pack. Just take a look at Minecraft screenshots or vids and wonder why so many people love that game. Definately not for the graphics anyway.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Yes, but they're no replacement for good gameplay.  Some combo of the both is needed for myself.

Steam: Neph

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

In the MMO market, graphics are not the be all end all.  Many of us look at gameplay and/or the systems embedded in the game.  I really get a chuckle when someone knocks a MMO game's graphics, it immediately tells me that they are not a true MMO player, but someone migrating over from console games or new to the genre.

To give you an example, take Asheron's Call, very graphics dated, yet still a great game, I still go back and play it sometimes.  Then take a game like SWTOR, fantastic graphics, great lore, amazing vocals and cut scenes.  Yet the game had no magic, nothing pulling me back to the game again and again.  

You can easily use Wow as an example too, as the graphics are nothing to speak of, yet it is the top game in the market.

Good article Pokket

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    The average gamer will buy a game based purely upon looks?  Source?
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Why does everyone always discuss this subject like it has to be one or the other? I want BOTH!
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    In any game more graphics = less content, this is especially true for MMO's. This is why they all suck now a days.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204
    yes, graphics matter however, they are only part of the equation, great graphics alone does not a great game make,lol.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Of course they do the important part  when designing a game is finding a balance . You cant blow all your cash on animations and graphics if you do, you end up like Tera nice looking but no depth ,because most of the budget went to graphics

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by wordiz
    In any game more graphics = less content, this is especially true for MMO's. This is why they all suck now a days.

This is true, because resources have to be used in making those graphics, instead of making more gameplay, unless a developer has unlimited resources - which they never do, of course.

Another thing though, is that the more elaborate the textures and models are, the less flexible they become.  It can be more difficult to make them customizable or modular, which limits a lot of what can be done in a game.  Devs need to make all sorts of sacrifices, like that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Games need to have a good balance of both. I find it hard to get into a new game if it doesn't have decently good graphics, which today is not hard to do honestly, but it needs to have fun gameplay to keep me around.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Gameplay > all else, but if a game (MMO) is asking me to play for an extended period of time (months/years) and especially if I am being asked to pay for that time then the game better not have bland, uninteresting visuals.

Style > all else, polys and pixels don't matter as much as immersion.

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Graphics are only good if the gameplay is enhanced by it. They don't make a game itself. Sadly it's far easier for developers to make high graphics titles that lack content nowadays than actually well thought out gameplay mechanics.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Gameplay > Graphics

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• CheboyganCheboygan Member UncommonPosts: 36

too many people spend 100s of dollars on graphics cards for your subject not to matter

i consider myself a graphics whore so yes it really does matter

but gameplay mechanics don't need to suffer because of superb graphics - bad devs/publishers might beg to differ but......................

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Yes, graphics matter. In the same sense that purple is my favorite color. Each of us will determine for ourselves what constitues "good" graphics. See: WoW.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36

You need both to be successful. If the engine is not up to modern standard the art style has to compensate for an audience to give it more than a second look.

If the gameplay is rubbish no one will play it for more than 10 minutes.

Still I jump at pretty graphics faster than a review of good gameplay simply because many reviewers seem to have no idea what they are talking about or are lying for the payola.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
           I would say that in many years of gaming that the graphics only bothered me a couple of times.....On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate graphics about a 3 in importance.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

In short.

Fun is a pre-requisite to any effect other mechanics may have on the game.

If it is not fun, it doesn't matter.  It's not easy to make fun games.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

League of Legends looks great. GFX alone is not what decides how good a game looks but also artstyle, aesthetics etc. and LoL has excellent aesthetics and art style.

Beside that I agree with the article. GFX, or rather "looks" matters, but not at the expense of gameplay,

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Graphics alone will not hold me to a game, but with each new game that comes out I expect to see an improvement in the graphics. I also need some depth behind them with the story, gameplay, combat and other mechanics of the game. Also art style has alot to do with which games I tend to look at, if a games art style looks very childish or cartoonish I tend to not really get involved with it. It may have the greatest gameplay ever, but if you have to be a unicorn, little girl, pokemon, panda or something like that I have no problem waiting for the next game.
  • h3llryuh3llryu Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Let's be completely honest, looks matter. In all aspects of life, we focus on the looks before anything else, it's how we choose our significant others, cars, computers, games and so on. So if a game looks like crap then I don't even give it the time of day. I like to play games and imerse myself into a whole new world, not have a snes looking mmorpg and feel like I'm playing an open world of mario. Visuals should be a core aspect of creating a game because that will be what gamers see first. But, that does not mean the game should end there. Games should have just the same amount of time that was put into the visuals into other parts of our games. Game graphics really DO matter, it's just that game companies focus on that and not other aspects of the game.

We are all puppets in a fancy show, the trick is to seize the ropes that bind us, and become the puppeteer image