Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: A First Look Interview About a True Sandbox Experience

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Greed Monger will be a true sandbox environment for players when the world begins with nothing but animals and raw materials. Find out how the game world will evolve when players enter in our exclusive interview with Jason Appleton. Join in on the conversation in the comments.

MMORPG: Tell us how Greed Monger works as a Sandbox game? What are the main features that allow players a true sandbox experience?

Jason Appleton: The world will launch initially with nothing but nature and the players. It will be up to the players to create the world they will live in, the cities they want to work in, the home they wish to live in. Every finished item in Greed Monger will be crafted by the players and the world will evolve as players make progress. Aside from player owned non instanced housing and shops, players will be able to work together to construct community buildings that will spawn much needed NPC’s that will help unlock portions of the story as well as offer a multitude of services to the player base.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Greed Monger: A First Look Interview About a True Sandbox Experience.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Jason Appleton: So far things are going well. Our initial servers are up and we are working on the combat and combat skill systems right now and will put out some videos of that once done.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I feel like I've been waiting for this game for about eight years now...  can't wait to give it a try.  I'm a bit worried about the land though.  The rest of the game is going to have to be worthy of paying for land, and it sounds like it may be expensive.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    Sounds like exactly what I want. I really hope the combat system isn't broken as this is very important to me. It can be sub par ,but not broken like many other sandbox games I have played, and I will still play this game. 
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Sinaku
    Sounds like exactly what I want. I really hope the combat system isn't broken as this is very important to me. It can be sub par ,but not broken like many other sandbox games I have played, and I will still play this game. 

It's like you're living in my brain. 

As long as it's not bugged to high heaven and the combat is at least somewhat enjoyable, this sounds like it could be a good game. 

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    So from what I read previous about this game - the land parcels would be sold for something like $20 (obviously this could change). What I am worried about is the number they put out there of 3,000. Doesn't seem like near enough. Hopefully it's at least 5k-10k. Regardless, without knowing what could fit on a single parcel, 3,000 could be more than enough. We will see. Looking forward to this. Hope they do it right!
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Sinaku

It's like you're living in my brain. 

As long as it's not bugged to high heaven and the combat is at least somewhat enjoyable, this sounds like it could be a good game. 

This is the key for me. The sooner they get that combat video out, the sooner I can make up my mind on whether I'm going to take a chance on this title or not. You can have the nicest graphics in the industry but if the combat sucks the game sucks.

Where's the video?!

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by afropuff420
    So from what I read previous about this game - the land parcels would be sold for something like $20 (obviously this could change). What I am worried about is the number they put out there of 3,000. Doesn't seem like near enough. Hopefully it's at least 5k-10k. Regardless, without knowing what could fit on a single parcel, 3,000 could be more than enough. We will see. Looking forward to this. Hope they do it right!

Unless they are planning to cap it, I don't see why it wouldn't go to well over $20 per parcel.  The thing is, the land can be developed, and the value will go up because of that, so it remains to be seen how this will play out.

We really have very little information at this time.  I'd like to see more about the climate areas too. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

So far on the Kickstarters you get 1 parcel of land for a backing of $25, you can get more based on bigger bundles that you back, aswell as getting Castles, you own Islands, and all sorts of things for large guilds.

The Devs have stated that it is capped at 3000 land parcels, which is roughly 1/3rd of all the lands, the parcels are mixed between the different climates. There will be real estate sales after the game has launched, possibly opening more parcels for sell or selling previously owned and developed parcels.

We are currently voting amongst the followers if we wish to change the name, Keep in mind, the name Greed Monger in this case isn't to reflect a goal as something to be, but something people in the community will be branded as if they chose not to work with the community and focus solely on trying to be nothing but wealthy. It makes perfect sense to us! But it doesn't seem to be well received by the public as yet.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• dirtysidedirtyside Member UncommonPosts: 102
    so regardless of what i pledge i cant play until april 2013 ? just trying to figure out when i actually can play
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

This sounds pretty cool. I will need much more info before I can get too excited though.

3000 land parcels does not sound like enough to me.  Is it going to be only 3000 players per shard?

How is crafting and gathering done? One click? Mini game?

Will need to see combat. I don't mind if it is FFA/PVP in a crafting game, just go craft some more gear if you get ganked, but if its a buggy one hit gibfest I will pass.

Just saying it is a sandbox crafting game is not enough.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The description of the land parcel system is the game's downfall far as I am concerned.  Electronic bits should never be worth anything.  Monetizing a game means it is no longer something fun to play.  Bad call by the developers.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    The description of the land parcel system is the game's downfall far as I am concerned.  Electronic bits should never be worth anything.  Monetizing a game means it is no longer something fun to play.  Bad call by the developers.

The game will otherwise be free to play. How did you expect the developers to get money to keep developing the game?

You need to start getting over this now.  Actually, you should already be over it.  In the future, virtual goods and services are only going to increase.  You have the right to decide that these parcels are worth nothing, and I have the right to disagree.

Go read up on Entropia Universe if you want a real eye opener.  Also read about how much money people on Facebook are spending on virtual goods.

I actually like this model vs. some of the alternatives out there. It helps fund the project while not charging for stupid fluff items and it also gives players a chance to make their money back when they decide they're done with the game.

Having said that, the entire system depends on a healthy, functioning game. The question is, will the game be working, fun and have longevity?

The combat video will go a LONG ways in helping make my decision to donate or not... assuming we're going to see that video sometime soon™.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

All games are electronic bits so when you buy a game then you are buying electronic bits. Difference here is that different players can pay for the amount of the electronic bits they want and this will create an unequality between the people playing the game, which I think is a bad thing.

We have a class system and unequality in RL, do we really need it in computer games as well? That is another reason why I think F2P models are bad. They changed a system where everyone was equal, from the games point of view, to introduce differences and unequalities based on your wallet size.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Sounds intriguing, but the idea of mixing real world economy with ingame economy has me wary.  It's a ways from release so let's se if it even sees the light of day.

Nice graphics though, and some intriguing ideas.  I'd like to hear more soon.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Ugh, barebones game with a subpar engine using idealized rule sets and claiming to be the next Ultima Online whilst trying to monetize their world as much as possible.

Pretty much the worst game I've ever heard of, perhaps one day someone will make a real sandbox MMO with a decent amount of features. Instead of having 'no story to start with', developers releasing incomplete games and playing catch up as they create artificial speed bumps for the players. 

Then again, it's only 20$, so why not waste it.

Hi

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

I thought hard about actually investing into this "startup" per say, the only reluctency I have atm is this is developed in the Inifinity engine with a 3 man dev team. Most of all which I have seen can be done by simple asset installs that can be bought threw the Unity asset store. While undoublty some of whats in the current video is their own work, there really isn't much to go on beyond what they "say" is in the game.

If they had an actual working protype that coudl show actual crafting and other aspects (like a working UI) I might be more inclined. The idea is sound but my reservations on such a small dev team to deliver a descent reliable product within the time they are giving seems a long strech.

I wish them all the best however and if time proves me wrong so be it, I might actually join in and check it out, but as a coder myself, I just don't see how even using Unity they can get all of what they are promoting in the game by the schedualed release and even if that will be deep enough to keep an MMO population content.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

You need to start getting over this now.  Actually, you should already be over it.  In the future, virtual goods and services are only going to increase.  You have the right to decide that these parcels are worth nothing, and I have the right to disagree.

Go read up on Entropia Universe if you want a real eye opener.  Also read about how much money people on Facebook are spending on virtual goods.

Exactly the point, once I found out that Entropia was a pure gambling game I dropped it like a hot potato.  If you want to gamble in a game that is your perogative, but don't expect people to laud the game for that.  Why do you think the Diablo III flopped so bad?  Easy answer, they tried to monetize it.  As to paying for a game, there are lots of other ways.  

There is no question the developers are sinking to a new low and deserve all the criticism they get for it.

• KuuhnKuuhn Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Yamota

All games are electronic bits so when you buy a game then you are buying electronic bits. Difference here is that different players can pay for the amount of the electronic bits they want and this will create an unequality between the people playing the game, which I think is a bad thing.

We have a class system and unequality in RL, do we really need it in computer games as well? That is another reason why I think F2P models are bad. They changed a system where everyone was equal, from the games point of view, to introduce differences and unequalities based on your wallet size.

In a subscription based game, everyone playing it is able to afford it. Obviously because they are subbing for it. Leaving out the people who cannot afford to pay for it. I would rather be able to at least have the opportunity to play a game whether I am slightly behind in equalities or not. I think free to play models are the greatest addition to the mmo world that I have seen. 

If you than want to fork over your money.. however much it may be.. you can do that. Whats a 12$ a month sub for a year? 144$. So your willing to spend that on a sub game? But not a few dollars here and there on a f2p game? Makes no sense to me.

I play only f2p games usually, and I very rarely find my self in a position where I have to spend more than a yearly subscription price to compete with other players. Sure some games are pay to win. But some Sub games just plain suck. I am grateful for free to play.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i think they just have not shown/proofen enough of their concept to justify the investment at this point in time...also their small development team without any track record or the used engine makes me suspicious - and if you look at the kickstarter site, the run for the game is pretty limited at this point in time.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Go go sandbox games go!

Joined - July 2004

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

* Small, inexperienced indie dev team promising the next UO: I've seen this before and it didn't end well.

* Pay-to-win (at least it sounds like that) land ownership: not a good idea, it means some rich dudes will own all the land very early on and newbies and players not willing to spend lots of cash will be left in the dirt.

* Ridiculous name; reminds me of Gordon Gekko and sends some weird signals. I don't want to play a capitalist sim, I have enough experience with capitalism irl and I hate it.

That said, the game could be really cool of course. I'll just wait until I've seen some combat videos and then decide.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Jayaris

Ugh, barebones game with a subpar engine using idealized rule sets and claiming to be the next Ultima Online whilst trying to monetize their world as much as possible.

Pretty much the worst game I've ever heard of, perhaps one day someone will make a real sandbox MMO with a decent amount of features. Instead of having 'no story to start with', developers releasing incomplete games and playing catch up as they create artificial speed bumps for the players. 

Then again, it's only 20$, so why not waste it.

Eve did this. It's booming for an indie game.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Sounds promising, but by adding many non sandbox elements they might ruin it.