Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: The Lost Shores

13»

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Indrome
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    The map was too small (in my opinion), the Karka were oversized crabs(boring) (in my opinion), and the landscape of the island lacked originality as well (in my opinion). Overall I consider the event a fail. That's not even taking into consideration about the huge bugs.

Fixed that for you.

Personally, I loved it and am a satisfied customer not having paid a nickle for a whole weekend of world-spanning events and another one or two months of getting to know the new zone and dungeon. Both of which I find aesthetically very pleasing and well thought out.

And my fingers itch for whatever's to come next. (thanksgiving and christmas events to come... boy howdie!)

What are you? That judge from the Good Wife? Obviously it was his opinion... There is no need to say "in my opinion" after everything. It's creepy and weird.

As a siidenote, I think ANet isn't doing a very supuurb job with events. Why was the evnt only a weekend long? I ma in college and have a life, soit would have been nie if it had been a month long event as I don't have time to sit down as much as others do.

Smile

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This one time event introduction was a big failure. Phase 1 invasion of LA was so laggy that my slot skills didn't even respond. Then there were the bugged npcs, which gave me nightmarish deja vu's of skill challenge npcs that stayed bugged for over a week. You keep checking back only to find it is still bugged(even though update notes said they fixed loads of skill challenge npcs).

Phase 2 recapture LA again was laggy. Not so much as first invasion though. But the Ancient Karka bugged out. On our server he was unkillable. We first thought not enough ppl knew about the solvent, but after checking players and being sure that most players were using the solving, we still only got him to about 80% hp and then he reset again. So instead we just danced on a wall next to the boss. This was my highlight of the event.

Couldn't bring myself to check Phase 3.

I'll see the new area and dungeon in the coming weeks. And I really hope that Winterfest next month will work a lot better.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I see many complainers here. How much did you pay for this content? We've got an awesome dungeon that is better than all others combined (imo), has 10 times more replayability (randomizing, infinite levels of difficulty), new lv 80 zone, new type of exotic gear to craft, new tier of gear to play for (this last one is something I like only if they stop at this tier).

And it was all for free. You would pay at least $30 worth of monthly fees to get an update like this.

• Overfiend138Overfiend138 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Overall, I'd say the event was a massive failure.  I bet they lost more customers than they gained, due to all the issues.  Maybe if the new content were more impressive, that might have offset the problems of the event, but it's pretty minimal and lackluster.  It seems blatantly unfinished or something.

Really, I can't understand how anyone could call the event a success.

Can't really lose customers when they already paid for the game and there's no sub. Free new content = win. Rather than pay $50 for an expansion for a 9 year old game, i think its awesome. 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Overfiend138
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Overall, I'd say the event was a massive failure.  I bet they lost more customers than they gained, due to all the issues.  Maybe if the new content were more impressive, that might have offset the problems of the event, but it's pretty minimal and lackluster.  It seems blatantly unfinished or something.

Really, I can't understand how anyone could call the event a success.

Can't really lose customers when they already paid for the game and there's no sub. Free new content = win. Rather than pay $50 for an expansion for a 9 year old game, i think its awesome. 

Heh, that's a rather self-centered way of looking at it, but I doubt ANet or NCSoft sees it that way.  They still want to be making money, for as long as possible, you can be sure.  They didn't make the game B2P, just to be charitable.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

I see many complainers here. How much did you pay for this content? We've got an awesome dungeon that is better than all others combined (imo), has 10 times more replayability (randomizing, infinite levels of difficulty), new lv 80 zone, new type of exotic gear to craft, new tier of gear to play for (this last one is something I like only if they stop at this tier).

And it was all for free. You would pay at least $30 worth of monthly fees to get an update like this.

I think this is what is lost on all these arguments. We didn't pay for it (like with Rift's new expansion or WoW's or even GW1's) but I do think this was closer to what was done in GW1 with Sorrow's Furnace. I remember when that came out and people where gnashing teeth, saying how hard it was and what a waste of what A.Net did. It is all there on forums if you want to look it up. After a while people got used to the new content and 'BAM' was easy to play.

• cgniuscgnius Member Posts: 18

Wasn't online for much of the weekend, and when I was online for the one time event, I was stuck in Overflow, and my low level (scaled to 80) Ele couldn't hold his own against multiple Karka so I kept dying without getting a res. In the end I gave up

So all in all, I can't say I enjoyed the weekend, but I don't feel like I missed all that much anyway. I certainly didn't expect anything as elaborate as the halloween event, which I thoroughly enjoyed even at a low level. I hope next month's event will be on the same scale

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    this is not a sub game no one cares if you leave

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

I think this is what is lost on all these arguments. We didn't pay for it (like with Rift's new expansion or WoW's or even GW1's) but I do think this was closer to what was done in GW1 with Sorrow's Furnace. I remember when that came out and people where gnashing teeth, saying how hard it was and what a waste of what A.Net did. It is all there on forums if you want to look it up. After a while people got used to the new content and 'BAM' was easy to play.

If someone plans their weekend around a one time event and the event does not work for them at all, they have every right to complain about it.

I'm also sure that Arenanet does not agree with the person you quoted at all. The same weekend had free trials. You really think Anet was ok with the impression that last weekend might give to those ppl trying out the game?

Arenanet tries to make money. Their business plan is giving a lot of content updates for people who bought the game in the hope they will spend some extra in their gemstore. And to provide quality so that those same customers will buy expansion packs. They are not a charity.

This weekend completely failed at that and wasted time for many players who only encountered bugs, disconnects , lag. There is nothing fun about a bugged and laggy one time event.

• MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48
    I think people need to distinguish between the added content and the EVENT! The EVENT was an overly hyped utter failure and the CONTENT is mixed.

EVENT:
    - bug riddled questline uncompletable for many
    - lag/connection issues largely NOT due to players but to servers unable to handle so many players (due to same time zoned servers)
    - lackluster in general

CONTENT:
    1. New zone:
    + small yes, but I actually like that
    + good flavor/looks
    + new crafting mats
    - crappy recipes for new mats
    - for a lvl 80 zone, crabs have very low drop rates and are way too tough to make it worth ur effort to farm (i farmed my 200 for monthly and not a single rare drop)
    - few DE

2. New dungeon:
    + excellent! Clearly the pride and joy of the release
    + 9 mini dungeons within 1 is very good.. Some can be completed in under 15min making it a great way to get in a quick dungeon
    - no way to choose which one you want to do (i understand the randomness and like it, but after moving up a level i feel you should get to choose which u want to do for a lower level)

OVERALL, we got a free new excellent dungeon but I honestly think a lot of players would have preferred and been happier that Anet just released it solo, without a bug filled frustrating event.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

7/10

New zone and stuff to do was welcome, but they failed to fully deliver. Couldnt finish the main lore quests due to bugged npcs. Couldnt attend the launch event due to scheduling it during standard work hours, and couldnt complete final event due to disconnects.

• DeDroaDeDroa Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I would have enjoyed the Karka junk if they weren't giant crabs and if they had not reminded me so much of the Zerg. No really, they had the creepy grey webs and everything. Giant crab infestation... couldn't they have just added a condition called "crabs" where your character gets a horrible rash and crys from the lonelyness.