Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Naoki Yoshida mention FF14 AR will be B2P !!

i read on a news website and they talk about Naoki Yoshida mentioned that FF14 AR will be buy 2 play.

just want to confirm it here so i can start saving for a PS3 on boxing days. if anyone know. thanks alot :D

Comments

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

the first Ive heard of it. got a link to your source?

last I heard if you bought ff14 the first time round you dont have to buy then game again and youll get 3 months free time.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    Where did you hear this?  I don't doubt you, it's just not consistant with what we've been hearing for the past few months.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

They just comfirmed that they are keeping the sub as a "matter of honor" so b2p is out of the question. They see it as a part of the attempt to salvage FF and SE's reputation.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    its posts like this that make me shake my head. all the info current as of 2 weeks ago can ALL be found on my thread one stop Shop for FFXIV:ARR info on this website. Letter from producer 4 (2 weeks old) dosent mention the game B2P. The game is P2P 10$ a month legacy members 13~15$ for new membership including PS3 users. ( again all this info could be found on my post) When FFXI came out 10 years ago it was 15$ a month for both PC and PS2 I remember the game being packaged with the PS2 HDD. later the Xbox got FFXI and also cost 15$ a month on top of your Xbox online membership. One main reason FFXIV at this time is not on Xbox. unless you can produce a link to where you read this , the info about B2P is false.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by zevni78

They just comfirmed that they are keeping the sub as a "matter of honor" so b2p is out of the question. They see it as a part of the attempt to salvage FF and SE's reputation.

If that is truly the reason then they have hteir heads so far up their arses it isn't even funny.  Choosing a payment model as a "matter of honor" has to be the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard.  This is a business.  They should do what makes the most business sense.  If P2P makes that sense to them then good, but it's not a moral dilemma.  *boggle*

I would still like to see a reference one way or the other, or a link to a conversion/interview where this is discussed.  As of now it's just forum conjecture (the worst kind ever).

Japanese conduct their life and bussines in a different way that westerners do, what you call ridiculous is the way they aproach life in general and what makes them such an outstanding culture.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

This game is most definitly SUBSCRIPTION BASED.

They offered subscription discount rates for the future 2.0 launch previously. FFXI runs sub based still. SE needs the money from subs.

Maybe he mentioned you'll have to buy it to play it lol.

-side note: why honestly would people perfer b2p games? I don't get it. Subs feed them money to produce more content on a regular basis. Subs actually matter when it comes to pushing teams to change games around. Subs = (or used to) no game breaking cash shops.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Yeah, B2P leads to cash shop. I doubt they would drop that bombshell on us so close to release.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by austriacus

If that is truly the reason then they have hteir heads so far up their arses it isn't even funny.  Choosing a payment model as a "matter of honor" has to be the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard.  This is a business.  They should do what makes the most business sense.  If P2P makes that sense to them then good, but it's not a moral dilemma.  *boggle*

I would still like to see a reference one way or the other, or a link to a conversion/interview where this is discussed.  As of now it's just forum conjecture (the worst kind ever).

Japanese conduct their life and bussines in a different way that westerners do, what you call ridiculous is the way they aproach life in general and what makes them such an outstanding culture.

Don't use Japanese culture as a way to spin it.  Having honor isn't ridiculous.  That P2P is somehow honorable compared to other business models is not only ridiculous but arrogant and insulting.  There are also Japanese companies that have F2P games.  Are they somehow other than honorable because of that?  I stand by my criticism.

Why get so worked up over something you clearly do not understand?

Yoshi said he wants it to be P2P because of a few reasons. 1 being FFXIV was to be P2P (V1) and that has already been set he is saying he keeping it because the people who payed in V1 now have a discount life time with legacy status , they get the 15$ sub fee for 10$. So when you transulate Japanes it dosent mean what we think it means in english. In english we take things as litteral word. In japanese its general and expancive. To sum up point 1 yoshi is honoring his deal to keep it P2P for legacy members anything less would be insulting to them.

Point 2 Yoshi states the reasons for P2P vs B2P.  The whole game is fronted by SE and SE only no outside investments all the money to make came from SEs own coffers. SO this means with P2P all the money stayes with SE and that means no outside opinions from investers . It also means that Se can produce better faster content (expansion packs , upgrades , patches , ext) Where B2P adds in outside stores for items to progress meaning that there needs to be a flow of money at all times to pay back investers . You can read the info yourself on the info thread # 12.

No need to argue, Yoshi and co state in their video dairies that they wish to honor the promise of a AAA FF sub based mmo that was made before FFXIV first launched, even though subs are out of fashion right now, they are more focused on un-doing everything the bad launch of 1.0 did to SE's reputation, and are being systematic. The legacy sub discount also clearly shows they intend subs to remain for years. Those are the facts, lets not argue about Japanese culture and honor.

edit

oh, darkness beat me to it.

Quoting Yoshi-P

“The main reason why we haven’t decided to take the free-to-play option is that, at the game’s original launch, it didn’t live up to expectations and it let down a lot of fans. We lost the trust of fans who had followed us across our 25-year history. We want to regain that trust and to deliver on past promises.

“One of the promises we originally stated was that we would release the game with a subscription model. Players will be able to play it 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days in the year if they paid a subscription fee. So to regain the trust of our players we must of course fulfil this promise. Right now we believe that to be more important than any kind of business decision.

“The other thing is that – depending on what kind of game you have – its hard to say which model is better. Is free-to-play better? Are subscriptions better? It just really depends, and it’s hard to say which one is better.

“The last thing is that our aim is to make an MMO, and a lot of companies do their development for MMOs by getting money from investors. Then the investors want their money back, so if the game doesn’t make enough money or doesn’t have enough users, then what do we do?

“We’d have to pay our investors back, and free-to-play is an option to get that money back to investors quickly. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is a product that is independent to Square-Enix. All of the money’s coming from us, so we had more time to put it into what we wanted to do. We’re not in a rush to pay anyone back.”

Facts are Facts and this is how it WILL be deal with it or dont play simple as that

I payed 15$ a month for 8 years with FFXI and quit XIV july 2011 sub fee im ok with it

• dbumandbuman Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    Unlike other Mmos companies, Sony doesnt need the B2P method to attract players. They have the resources to burn even if not many subscribe....

Its not sony, its Square Enix, SE, not SOE. Crisis avoided. You have been informed

Thanks Darkness, I should have got all those quotes, but am very lazy.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I honestly dont say this with any disrespect, but you have allot to learn about people, and cultures.  You dont have to like them all (and I dont) but I do respect what people believe in.  And to some people and cultures, what they believe in is more important than anything else. 

It has nothing to do with where someone's head is located.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    FFXIV is going to be pure p2p game.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by snapfusion

I honestly dont say this with any disrespect, but you have allot to learn about people, and cultures.  You dont have to like them all (and I dont) but I do respect what people believe in.  And to some people and cultures, what they believe in is more important than anything else. 

It has nothing to do with where someone's head is located.

LIke I said after this, honor and honoring your customers is great.  The idea that P2P is honorable, or as was explained honoring those who bought version 1, or going P2P is the only or best way to honor those, is ridiculous.

The idea presented that existing customers can't be honored with B2P is also short-sighted.  B2P means those who bought the game could play it.  Those who haven't could buy and play the game.  Existing customers could be honored, but SE wants more money out of them.  This doesn't sound like it's about honor to me.  It sounds as though they want more money.  It sounds like he's using a sensitive cultural more to couch an excuse to gouge a sub.  For this sort of game I think that is a mistake.

If this game has deep compelling systems with a well designed mix of sandbox and themepark design elements then maybe they could get away with a sub.  If this game is just a revamped content churn themepark then I think they're gouging wiht a sub.  We'll see though.

When a game is F2P or B2P it nearly always relies on a cash shop. Whenever a game switches from P2P to one of those other two models the majority of the playerbase leaves and a new playerbase joins the game. It would be dishonouring the loyal players to make that switch as many would not want to play a game with a cash shop and would simply leave; we've seen it happen with LotRO and SWTOR.

I don't know if you've been following the development of XIV since Yoshi P took over but he has a very different way of doing things compared to most developers. He actually values the loyal fans, especially since if it weren't for them XIV would have just been canned entirely. It would be something of a betrayal of those fans to change business model at the last minute, I believe that's what he's saying.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

It's not ridiculous at all. If anything it's extremely refreshing.

And I also read that same interview.

What they are saying is that they believe paying a small amount of money each month should award players the entire game. Sounds good to me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Sovrath

It's not ridiculous at all. If anything it's extremely refreshing.

And I also read that same interview.

What they are saying is that they believe paying a small amount of money each month should award players the entire game. Sounds good to me.

How is it refreshing?  You're not getting the entire game for a monthly fee.  You have to buy the game, and presumably xpacs which are essentially micro-transactions, in addition to the monthly fee.  I guess there are still a lot under the assumption that a monthly fee equals more content?  If you have to pay extra for the content then what is your monthly fee going towards?  We already know that server and account overhead are easily covered in the box price of games.

A small recurring fee equals a lot of money over time.  At $15 per month you're paying nearly $200 per year for a game plus the box / xpac fees.

To say that they are honoring existing customers by charging them more *is* ridiculous.  That may be a perfectly acceptable business model, but to bullshit and say that it's somehow more honorable is a lie.  It's perfectly fine to charge that way for a game, but don't couch it in the guise of goodwill.

Well, I've never had problems with buying the game, paying to access the game and paying for expansion packs.

What is refreshing is that they started the game as a monthly sub game, realize they screwed up and are not going to change the payment model on the players who originally bought into the game as a "monthly sub game". Additionally the sub for active players who already had a sub is going to be less than the regular sub.

Also, based on what you say, that is assuming that they are charging for the expansion packs as my experience with asian games is that they usulaly offer them a part fo the sub. Perhaps Square Enix doesn't do this? Not sure I don't have a lot of experience with their first final fantasy game.

edit: Also, paying anything over a period of time adds up. How much do you pay for your weekly beer? Or do you buy coffee every day? Do you say "gosh, my $20 or so dollars per month really does add up, I'll just have to buy one cup of coffee per week? And maybe you do because you would rather use the rest of that money for something else.

It's about choice. And since I"m not part of the bandwagon who feels likee $15 per month is significant it isn't an issue. Furthuremore, it's about maintaining the future of the game. These games need to make money. I'm sure you as an employee know full well that your company needs money right?

So if only a set amount of people buy the game they are going to have to make money somehow. Thats' either the cash shop route or sub fee route.

+1 for sub route. I don't see the cash shop route as viable because it basically becomes nickle and diming areas and constantly advertising for more purchases. I see this with LOTRO all the time. It's about hoping that the game makes enough money to cover costs. Aion recently had an issue because their cash shop DIDN'T make enough money. that's an issue for the future of the game if that trend continues.

Perhaps alternate payment methods such as 5 dollars for less time per week might be the answer for those who think that additional $10 is a bit much?

edit: and here's the link to the interview in case someone else didn't post it:

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31127

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GamingGeekGamingGeek Member Posts: 10
    Methinks the OP was a drive-by attempt to start the spread of misinformation, and nothing more.

“Developers do not give players enough credit. And maybe even players don't give players enough credit.” - Ragnar Tørnquist

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by GamingGeek
    Methinks the OP was a drive-by attempt to start the spread of misinformation, and nothing more.

Thank you for necro'ing it....

But yes this is a patently false statement FFXIV will be SUBSCRIPTION BASED.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

P2P FOR THE WIN :)

Good that we know you wont be playing FF XIV then :)

How is it refreshing?  You're not getting the entire game for a monthly fee.  You have to buy the game, and presumably xpacs which are essentially micro-transactions, in addition to the monthly fee.  I guess there are still a lot under the assumption that a monthly fee equals more content?  If you have to pay extra for the content then what is your monthly fee going towards?  We already know that server and account overhead are easily covered in the box price of games.

A small recurring fee equals a lot of money over time.  At $15 per month you're paying nearly $200 per year for a game plus the box / xpac fees.

To say that they are honoring existing customers by charging them more *is* ridiculous.  That may be a perfectly acceptable business model, but to bullshit and say that it's somehow more honorable is a lie.  It's perfectly fine to charge that way for a game, but don't couch it in the guise of goodwill.

$15 per month is fee for using the game servers and the game database which they have to update and service all the time :) 50-60 bucks is for the ''game''itself ... how much you think all this costs? Years of development and 24/7 servers, game service, updates, support? Use your brain and maybe you will find it out

When you buy a gym pass, do they give you all those supplements and cloths for free too? NO? Really?

When you buy a car, do they give you free gas every month and pay you every service? NO? Really?

Normal person would say that playing At $15 per month for something you can play EVERY day for several months and years is NOTHING. I am paying myself 600 bucks/year for gym pass (another 500 bucks for supplements) dont even ask me how much I pay for service and gas to my car .. so yea $15 per month ? xD heh

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Then you obviously have not been following the game at all.

The fact the game is at great expense being rebuilt rather than just going the easy way of Free to play shows the class of the company as a whole.  The fact that when the game realsed they essentially waived the sub for players for a long time shows what they are about.

FFF XIV ARR is no longer about "making a profit" for SOE in the short or medium term, they want to restore their image, they dont want to be remembered for its original incarnation they want people to think better of them.  Its probably cost them no small amount to build the game essentially twice, while maintaining updates for the first version but they have done that because of their culture.

I dont want to sound like a fan boy, because like many I trashed the original XIV for all it was worth, but the way they have handled it shows a culture that is vastly different to the normal practises we are used to, the fact that it is considered "stupid" to want to do the right thing, by some, is to me the sad part.

This discussion has been closed.