Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fast travel...is this a definite feature?

fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61

Scanning through the Kickstarter page for this game, I noticed that it mentioned fast travel will be possible to various locations. I wanted to ask if this is a definite feature or not, as I think it's a bad idea.

There are a few reasons that I think this. First off, without the ability to poof around all over the map, countries and guilds will have to have fairly localized territory, which in the PvE areas makes more logical sense and in the PvP zones adds much to the realism and strategy to conflict.

Secondly, it would promote inter-region trade. If you can't get every resource within your own territory you have to trade with foreign plays/guilds/countries in order to meet all of your needs, and this is perfect for a game that wants to have a player-driven economy.

Third, if there's fast travel then roads, vehicles and traveling merchants have no purpose and/or are non-existant. When you limit transportation, you open up all sorts of new careers and jobs that players can take part in. 

I'd like to note, in conclusion, that I'm not saying that having faster transportation doesn't make sense as we move into more advanced scientific eras (which I recall reading would occur as the world's capital wealth accumulates), but if we're basically starting in the stone age then having magical teleportation doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Comments

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Fast travel ruins games as much as I love having it in game, it really does ruin games. One thing that does make the game fun if you do keep it out of this game is make the characters faster then other mmo's as far as movement speed. No one enjoys slow characters.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

*smoke rises and swirls, the crystal ball in the center of the table beams a bright aura of light out in all directions as a mystical and sexually attractive gypsy peers into it from across the table*

I am getting........... a vocal amount of people..... some players.... some just annoying gits, will complain about having to walk more than 2 feet.  The company will buckle under the pressure once media sites pick up on the scent of blood and blow it out of porportion.  Fast travel is and always will be as long as the obese have the ability to type on keyboards with larger than normal keys.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

I truly hope they stick to a small fan base and create an epic game and not ruin this game like every other. Anyone in business knows you can make so much more money over time appealing to a loyal fan base over a long time then pleasing the majority for a short period of time.

also please take some of the ideas that Anarchy Online came out with. Every game that comes out is completly ruined by the fact that any piece of gear you aquire is only difficult to equip because you are not the proper level. In AO you could put on gear 50 levels above you if you spend weeks and weeks of doing math. This defined the word "Twink"

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by pauly6478

I truly hope they stick to a small fan base and create an epic game and not ruin this game like every other. Anyone in business knows you can make so much more money over time appealing to a loyal fan base over a long time then pleasing the majority for a short period of time.

also please take some of the ideas that Anarchy Online came out with. Every game that comes out is completly ruined by the fact that any piece of gear you aquire is only difficult to equip because you are not the proper level. In AO you could put on gear 50 levels above you if you spend weeks and weeks of doing math. This defined the word "Twink"

you lost 97% of the entire mmo population when you said "doing math"

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by bingbongbros

you lost 97% of the entire mmo population when you said "doing math"

lol, sad part is your right. But its so rewarding actually putting work into your character

• fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

*smoke rises and swirls, the crystal ball in the center of the table beams a bright aura of light out in all directions as a mystical and sexually attractive gypsy peers into it from across the table*

I am getting........... a vocal amount of people..... some players.... some just annoying gits, will complain about having to walk more than 2 feet.  The company will buckle under the pressure once media sites pick up on the scent of blood and blow it out of porportion.  Fast travel is and always will be as long as the obese have the ability to type on keyboards with larger than normal keys.

Unfortunately I think you're right. However, the lead dev seems like a pretty devoted guy, not just in it for the big bucks- if this game were to ever go mainstream I think there's a pretty good chance he'd stick to his guns.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Fast travel ruins games as much as I love having it in game, it really does ruin games. One thing that does make the game fun if you do keep it out of this game is make the characters faster then other mmo's as far as movement speed. No one enjoys slow characters.

Even if the game implement fast travel you still have option not to use it. Like in Skyrim i ignore fast travel but it is there if i ever want to use it.

Why do you always need devs to make decisions for you? too hard to decided for yourself and not use fast travel option?

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Even if the game implement fast travel you still have option not to use it. Like in Skyrim i ignore fast travel but it is there if i ever want to use it.

Why do you always need devs to make decisions for you? too hard to decided for yourself and not use fast travel option?

Too hard to not post useless comments?

It's not  matter of using or not using it. It's a matter of it severely affecting the economy and gameplay for the  playerbase as a whole, whether or not you use it. Fast travel basically gives us industrial-era speed in the middle of the dark ages. It doesn't make sense, and basically makes transportation of any kind null.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Too hard to not post useless comments?

Wow..such a clever come back. You got me. I on the other hand don't need the control of gaming companies because i have very weak will to restrain myself from hitting 'fast travel' button.

Originally posted by fernetek
    It's not  matter of using or not using it. It's a matter of it severely affecting the economy and gameplay for the  playerbase as a whole, whether or not you use it. Fast travel basically gives us industrial-era speed in the middle of the dark ages. It doesn't make sense, and basically makes transportation of any kind null.

And yet in a world of magic..zipping instantly from one point to another is very credible. Unless Greed Monger's world is completely devoid of magical and mystical powers.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

You completely missed the reason behind leaving it slow. Re-read his OP.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• RadshakRadshak Member UncommonPosts: 36

I never felt that having instant travel in ultimate online ruined the economy or the rare market. 

One thing I really liked about instant travel was the ability to escape player killers.

also the ability to instantly teleport to your favorite hunting, gathering spots, meeting up with friends,  going to your favorite player vendors was really nice.

Originally posted by Radshak

I never felt that having instant travel in ultimate online ruined the economy or the rare market. 

One thing I really liked about instant travel was the ability to escape player killers.

also the ability to instantly teleport to your favorite hunting, gathering spots, meeting up with friends,  going to your favorite player vendors was really nice.

It's not the convenience I'm arguing against. What I'm arguing is that with instant travel you're giving Industrial Revolution-era travel speed to a mostly Renaissance-era world. What this will do is make local markets completel null, and remove the necessity of trade for alot of people since they can just teleport to areas with specfic areas. 

Without fast travel, it's true the game would be less convenient- however it would promote local competition, local markets, trade between areas, and in the PvP areas localized wars instead of the monstrous world wars we saw with Darkfall's 1.0 launch.

Along with that it would create a pretty awesome niche market for carriage drivers and whatnot to transport things long-distance.

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130

My understanding is that there will be fast travel in the sense that players can make maps (with mapmaking skill)  of their properties.  They will drop these maps around like runes were dropped in UO.  People can pick them up and visit the mapmaker's vendors.   At this point it is not known if maps will extend beyond that.  One definite thing is that to use the maps players will have to have enough food for the journey, thereby potentially making cooking a very lucrative skill.

Fast travel does not clash with Magic and Spellcasting is a confirmed skill in Greed Monger.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I also dislike fast travelling, but I'll wait until I see more how they are implementing it in Greed Monger.

In general, any ability to skip content (in this case, the landscape between point A and B is bad for an MMO.