Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: F2P Option Launches Today

13»

Comments

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

[mod edit]

A friend of mine said she couldn't equip BLUE gear because she was playing Free2Play. Can someone confirm this?

You got a Single Player KOTOR3

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Who knows, maybe EA and Bioware went, "Hmmmmm no one is playing now, so lets take the money and run since our ship is sinking", "Yeah, yeah, thats it, toolbars for pay, thats a pretty smart thing to get some cash in here....oh and how about pay to hide your head slot items??", "Yeah, thats good, but lets add Purple gear at the top of the revenue stream, you know people will pay to win, that would be a great idea to get some cash into this failing game!"

Fail, sorry to say, i'm feeling this game is sinking still, they cut the number of servers down.  Feels like this one went into a free fall faster than Galaxies?  Is it just me or does it feel like that?  This was supposed to be the Holy Grail of Star Wars MMO's.... I mean seriously, who makes the decisions there?  They really don't think things out at all do they?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Worst f2p model I have seen.  It is basically a free trial to anyone that has not played it.  For anyone that has subbed for awhile, you basically have to resub, you just cannot play it for free with a high level character.  Can't even equip half my equipment.

This game has fail written all over it.  Unless they change the f2p design, they will be taking the servers off line by next year.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

Even as a preferreed customer the grind  with lowered XP gain is beginning to tell. I'm playing a gunslinger so the quickbars aren't hurting yet,(At level 15) but I can tell by 20 or so I'll be running out of room. Having to run a level 2 or 3 extra times after the missions are done to make up for the lack of XP is becoming redundant. And thats just the gameplay part. Crafting is virtually impossible without the third skill, and even if you do, you only have 2 slots to sell items with on the market.

This is sort of like someone giving you a really good book to read, then taking a, e , i, o and u out of all the words...

Sure, its a really great storyline, now try and play it to the end. People are already leaving in droves...XD

• scragcatscragcat Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Every one defending the restrictions...good for you BUT if the game becomes a ghost town and eventually shuts down then maybe you will realise that this is a really terrible implementation of going F2P
  • scragcatscragcat Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by Noyjitat
    People act like 15$ is alot of money. If you're really that tight with your wallet. Just buy some of the unlocks or go back to work. Something is seriously wrong with your finances if you cant save 4-5$ a week to pay a subscription.

Did you read other posts? it is not the amount of $$$ but the principle (well some people might have that little money)...you are just repeating stuff others have already given valid points against...

• thirbeethirbee Member Posts: 1

You wont get all the game for free : its a F2P OPTION not a F2P GAME!

For my own ivbeen subs since the beginning and now i got so much cartel coins i can play for free and do story mode on my lost time. The only things that deceive me is about the Inventory & ability bars. but the rest very nice, i dont need to spend 1.5 million to unlock new race  or play until l;vl 50. the f2p option brought me very nice things as a subcriber :D

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Finally thye posted how much cartel coins subscribers will be getting on monthly basis. I am going to get 700 per month, but it is possible to get 800. I think the reward for referred friend is for period after launch of F2P, as I referred few friends and they are still playing and I am not getting 100 for that. I got awesome pod racer speeder for all my characters for that though, so I am not going to complain. Click on image to see it... So my sub is now down to $6 per month... not that I don't mind to pay $15 LOL. I make up for it though with my Crime Lord boxes addiction...

Speeder

Bioware add err Kurtob Speeders add I should say - quite funny LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lHywcdYIFAQ

Player's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d6lRwHsCPg

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I think it depends on what you are looking for, if it is just max quickbars for all your characters that cost about 10 bucks, if it is many more items it may be worth it to sub
  • SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    As there were some faults with orginal star wars I rather for them to bring it back. This one free or not wont see me back.
  • mistereous1mistereous1 Member Posts: 13
    Seriously...people are complaining about free?
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

Well, theres free, and then theres free. Free doesn't mean the same thing nowadays. In this case its,'Free, but with a catch.' So technically it is free, but they've made it so uncomfortable to play, its not. Its more 'Free 2 nickle and dime for things you have to have to have to play for free.'

People complain 'Just pay the $14.99 sub price and get it all unlocked', but when you have more than one sub a month, like me, you have to be a bit more picky which games you choose. This F2P showcases a very small portion of the games features. A person trying it out for the first time isn't going to get a sub because he's/she's not having a good time playing. They can't try out the more interesting things like crafting, PvP and starship combat. 3 times a week is a joke. They've already moved on to the next game by the time the next week comes around, leaving SWTOR right where it was before. On the brink of closing down. Fanboi's can scream the games doing well, but after watching EA suck the life out of Bioware, corporate greed will call saying the games not making enough money, and they'll pull the plug.

100 servers down to how many?

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by mistereous1

SWTOR 1-50 is a very good gaming experience. the Cartel shop augments this experience and lets you dip into the lvl 50 PvP or PvE for a small credit card purchase. That's pretty good. A smart move from Bioware/EA.

Problem with endgame Ops raiding or PvP in SWTOR is there isn't anything great or new there. The magic in the game is the story. What Bioware/EA really needs to do is produce good story-based expansions. That would really drive the game forward. 

Originally posted by Illyssia

SWTOR 1-50 is a very good gaming experience. the Cartel shop augments this experience and lets you dip into the lvl 50 PvP or PvE for a small credit card purchase. That's pretty good. A smart move from Bioware/EA.

Problem with endgame Ops raiding or PvP in SWTOR is there isn't anything great or new there. The magic in the game is the story. What Bioware/EA really needs to do is produce good story-based expansions. That would really drive the game forward. 

Agreed, story based expansion would be ideal

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by eddieg50

You seem to be missing the major problem with the game, far to much story and not enough to do.  Now you want more story?  Sorry that it seems to me would be a major mistake.  While a deep story is good in a MMO, you also need to include things to do.  Personally I think the game is unfixable as the game systems need a major overhaul.  If they want to save the game, they need to do what SWG did, add a space expansion and remove that ridiculous arcade thing, it is does not belong in a MMO.  I might go back and resub if they did that.  If they just add more story they are wasting their time, the vast majority of past subscribers will just laugh at them.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by eddieg50

You seem to be missing the major problem with the game, far to much story and not enough to do.  Now you want more story?  Sorry that it seems to me would be a major mistake.  While a deep story is good in a MMO, you also need to include things to do.  Personally I think the game is unfixable as the game systems need a major overhaul.  If they want to save the game, they need to do what SWG did, add a space expansion and remove that ridiculous arcade thing, it is does not belong in a MMO.  I might go back and resub if they did that.  If they just add more story they are wasting their time, the vast majority of past subscribers will just laugh at them.

I cannot speak for anyone else ( although many people who post claim to speak for everyone) but what I want is more story, cut scenes, more combat, better space game, crafting a bit more usefull.  If the next expansion concentrated on these I would be happy.  I understand you have the PvPeers so that has to be in the next expak also

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ozmodan

The story part of the game, at least in terms of character story lines is probably done. There hasn't been and doesn't seem to be any plans to expand on that part of the game at all, F2P or not.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.