Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My review of the free 4 day trial of GW2

2»

Comments

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by grimal

Some of the stuff can be confusing initially.  They really should implement a thorough in-game help system.  Having to leave the game to figure out why something works is just not a good way to do things these days.

Don't fret it.  If you liked what you saw, go out and buy it.  If not, leave it at that.

I did like it, it's just different and takes time getting used to. It was only a four day trial and I only play in the late evenings, so I really only played three nights seeing as how it abruptly shut down the free trial at 10:00pm on Sunday night. I think it's funny how people read in to this and say I don't like it and just criticize me. I was hoping to get some more "how to" comments on the stuff I couldn't figure out. Someone said that I could minimize the quest things in the top right of the screen, but didn't say how. Several people said that you click on the top part of the tool bar slot for the skills, well that's what I did and it brought up the skill tree thingy and couldn't figure out how to put those skills in the tool bar. So that didn't answer any of my concerns. I did do some research, but not on the issues I listed. I got the invite key on Monday and it started Thursday. So I mainly researched all the professions and the races and the weapon skills. Studied the world map and researched the meaning of all those icons on the map and how to get those all done. Didn't have much time after that to research more, had a lot of RL stuff too. I'm still pondering getting it, just trying to get a little help. Still not sure about the end game, but since there is no monthly fee it still might be worth it.

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    me and my GF had the free trial for the weekend....but we didnt even play it...too hooked on Salem right now and she prefers WoW...
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Myria

With GW2 the answer is always "You're playing it wrong".

A winning strategy if ever there was one /s.

Ya, after reading the first 20 or so posts, I was having 'Nam-flasbacks to the "you're playing it wrong" days.

You just can't beat the classics. image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Blazer6992
    Originally posted by grimal

Some of the stuff can be confusing initially.  They really should implement a thorough in-game help system.  Having to leave the game to figure out why something works is just not a good way to do things these days.

Don't fret it.  If you liked what you saw, go out and buy it.  If not, leave it at that.

I did like it, it's just different and takes time getting used to. It was only a four day trial and I only play in the late evenings, so I really only played three nights seeing as how it abruptly shut down the free trial at 10:00pm on Sunday night. I think it's funny how people read in to this and say I don't like it and just criticize me. I was hoping to get some more "how to" comments on the stuff I couldn't figure out. Someone said that I could minimize the quest things in the top right of the screen, but didn't say how. Several people said that you click on the top part of the tool bar slot for the skills, well that's what I did and it brought up the skill tree thingy and couldn't figure out how to put those skills in the tool bar. So that didn't answer any of my concerns. I did do some research, but not on the issues I listed. I got the invite key on Monday and it started Thursday. So I mainly researched all the professions and the races and the weapon skills. Studied the world map and researched the meaning of all those icons on the map and how to get those all done. Didn't have much time after that to research more, had a lot of RL stuff too. I'm still pondering getting it, just trying to get a little help. Still not sure about the end game, but since there is no monthly fee it still might be worth it.

Well I went through your op and tbh I can understand their reaction. Most of it was about how badly designed is GW2 (or at least that was an impression) and perhaps that was the problem.

Although I have to agree with one thing. Tutorial could and should be better. There are aspects of UI that it just doesn't cover well while at the same time I got same tip for crafting, achievements and some other thing I can't remember several times in row.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

im sorry but the OP could not manage how to play this game, but is GW2 hard to play? not noob friendly?

nope its very easy game to play , although its very dificult to master, but that's another story..

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I agree that the game still needs better tools for teaching the basics to newbies. A lot of elements of the game are different enough from other MMOs that many MMO players new to GW2 become very lost, very quickly.

I'll also say that it was a very, very bad idea to time the free trial with the monthly event. Not only was the event poorly designed and terribly bugged, but you had emails directing players to go places and do things, paired with complete newbs who might logically try to follow the emails, only to get sucked into a very broken series of events. Not good.

Next free trial should be tied to a new tutorial system, but not the day of introduction!  Make sure it's been live and is bug free before then offering a free trial.

The game itself is phenominal, which makes the occassional major mistep by Arenanet even more difficult to fathom. How did the people who produced this game manage to so completely muck up this most recent event? How do they make a game like this, but fail so badly with the marketing of the game? (Most people are trying hard to forget the pointless live action video they apparently wasted their entire marketing budget on). How do they come to the decision to thrust trial customers into a special event that is guaranteed to exponentially magnify their confusion with the game, even if the event were to have gone off bug free?

There seem to be some major disconnects some where with in the company and a lot of potential success and revenue is slipping away while they flounder around trying to get their bearings.

I love the game, the company and the people there I have been able to share some communication with, but it pains me to see the game's level of success suffer due to some fairly major shortcomings that have become apparent since the game transitioned from development to the live environment. I hope they will not only learn from their mistakes, but take some solid action towards acquiring what ever new staff they need to successfully address the shortcomings that are becoming painfully obvious.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by fiontar

I agree that the game still needs better tools for teaching the basics to newbies.

As soon as you log in to the launcher there is a small window to the right that says Learn to play Guild Wars 2 with our online manual.

When you press that It will direct you to this site https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual?utm_source=client

This teaches the basics of GW2, rest the newbs can read on wiki and ask ingame It's not that hard.

I guess the newbs are to fast pressing the play button than actually read anything.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    If people got a tutorial - then some people would complain that it is being a 'CAREBEAR' game. Damned if you do - damned if you don't attitude going on. A no win situation.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131

I have to say that the 4 day trial event has given me a bit of a craving to go out and buy the game. The problem is though I only had about 4 hours in total to play over the 4 days as luck would have it.

I can give a quick review of my 4 hour experience of the 4 day trail event.

7/10 NPC's, good, liked the interaction, not quite as cumbersome as SWTOR's movie cutscenes, a good middle ground

8/10 World, looks great, interesting features.

9/10 Events nearby, liked this, keeps it interesting

8/10 levelling, as much as I did seemed to be at a good pace

6/10 Combat, ok, would have liked something a little more dynamic

8/10 UI, easy to use and understand

Overall I'm still tempted but will probably wait until it's reduced in price a little.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by wireded21

I have to say that the 4 day trial event has given me a bit of a craving to go out and buy the game.

Overall I'm still tempted but will probably wait until it's reduced in price a little.

I have a major craving, in fact I think I'm going through withdrawls. But I to want to wait for it to come down in price. I'm actually hoping it will be on sale somewhere over the next month.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh

You basicly proved what i've said all along.

This game is VERY newcommer unfriendly. Arena net should've come up with a way to guide people better when they just joined the game. Many of the things you've listen as 'not sure what to do here' are really easy when you actually know it. And no you don't have to unequip your weapons when mining ;).

As you said, its very easy when you know what to do otherwise it can be a chore. Its one of those cases where it seems to bring about an illusion of being complex that isn't needed and alienates new players, which only becomes trivial once you figure it out and realize just how simplistic the game really is.

Hope they bridge the gap. Fine, you want the game to be very simply but at least don't go about making people lost trying to understand stuff that in the end really is very very simple once you know it.