Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What keeps people playing this?

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    If you played ps1 you should know what its about really.though I'm sure there will be more incentives in ps2.i played ps1 for almost 3 years on and off. Its main attraction for me is the challenge your enemy presents, which in turn, at least for me, brings the fun.Also, how many fps'out there are truly an MMO? With hundreds of players at once on foot or in a vehicle? None really.The game basically banks itself on pure fun factor.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't get bg comparisons

To me planetside was fps sci-fi daoc without having to do pve first.
    The controller stuff
    I doubt it, the games too big to fit on a console.
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Epic Large Scale Battles *-*
    I left for a month or so- to come back on the final 2-days of the beta. @_@ Cant wait for the 20th! ^_^ >~

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I was so attached to games like PlanetSide, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty 2 & 4, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and SWG, no other game has held me for a long time other than those and I know PS2 won't hold me long and if PS1 goes F2P I'll probably be playing that more than PS2.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Just the thrill of accomplishment, big or small. Being in a good outfit lead to many great times in PS1, the same will be true of PS2. :)
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I dont understand, studio's make games and many will like it, many will not like it.
    Dont like it ? move on, like it ? buy / play it.

What i dont understand is why are you trying to convince people of your vieuw ?
    We dont care they dont care no1 cares if you do not like a game.
    Why fill up forums with stuff like this.

Just move to a game you like ?

it invokes only fanboys versus haters.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Friends, a good team.. those things keep me playing.

If noone would talk to me or i had no guy to have fun with, it would be quite less fun

but thats the case with any mmorpg, mmofps etc.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

In the beginning of the beta I wasen't too impressed with it. I liked the PS1 more. The longer I played PS2 the more I got hooked.

Now I'm counting the ours to finaly play PS2 for real again.

6 more hrs to go!!!

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I'm curious about this, because I did play PS1 for a while, and I've been playing FPS games since they were invented.  When I jumped in to play this game, it only took me a few hours to realize it's all a bit too simple.  I fully admit that I didn't play a lot of it, but I'm still trying to get my head around what the longer-term draw is.

You essentially run around, capture bases, sometimes with a battle, then rinse and repeat.  I had this same feeling with Guild Wars 2 WvW too, where we just ran around and captured bases with no real meaning.  After you do this for several hours, it may occur to you that there are much more interesting things to do with your time.

Am I missing something?  What keeps you coming back to PS2, and what will keep you for the long term?  Capturing bases over and over and over again isn't enough for me.

people like different things.  CoD Black OPS 2 just made half a Billion in sales in the first 24hrs.  a lot of people like fps games.

" As of November 11, 2011, the Call Of Duty series have sold over 100 million copies.[1] As of March 31, 2012 there are 40 million monthly active players across all of the Call of Duty titles, with 10 million Call of Duty: Elite users and 2 million paying annual members. Over 1.6 billion hours of online gameplay have been logged in the latest game in the series, Modern Warfare 3.[2] "

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

Well ,

I played PS1 back in Ye Olde Days and loved it..It was the team based effort of BF 1942 that got me into team based goal games,  but soon other newer games and major mmo's popped onto the market and stole my attention away from PS1, That being said, I have played the beta of PS2 from virtually the start of beta's and loved every minute of it, I'm not in a squad or team up really, Just another number running into the fray expecting that odd bullet in the head, and that really is my only peeve in PS2... One shot deaths !.. I really hate them.. Full health and shield then... pew ... A la corpse !. After a few insta deaths I tend to log of with a sad frustrated face on.

PS2 does seem to have a semi addictive (need my fix ) kinda thing going on. I play for say 2 hours, earn my certs .. Then just think "ah sod it ..can't be arsed to run around any more " and log off.. Only to log back in 3-4 hours later for another dose. It is fun and I agree with what some guy said above." With friends" it's prob 10 times better. Im waiting for launch but in no rush to race to get or buy every bloody gun or gain all certs.. It's fun and easy play ( Never smacked my mouse down once yet) . thats the truth :D  

Well worth a peek I say..  ** Rules  :)

Eli

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Nothing beats being in a base with dozens of other factionmembers, looking at the enemy mechanized column in the distance that's heading for you.
  • WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I'm curious about this, because I did play PS1 for a while, and I've been playing FPS games since they were invented.  When I jumped in to play this game, it only took me a few hours to realize it's all a bit too simple.  I fully admit that I didn't play a lot of it, but I'm still trying to get my head around what the longer-term draw is.

You essentially run around, capture bases, sometimes with a battle, then rinse and repeat.  I had this same feeling with Guild Wars 2 WvW too, where we just ran around and captured bases with no real meaning.  After you do this for several hours, it may occur to you that there are much more interesting things to do with your time.

Am I missing something?  What keeps you coming back to PS2, and what will keep you for the long term?  Capturing bases over and over and over again isn't enough for me.

I think ,(well for me anyway), at the end of the day, every game is about doing the same things over and over.

I lose focus of the goal, when it is only temporary, and either a step to another like the hundred before it, or out dated with the next content update.

So that brings me back to FPS MMO's, where combat is not scripted, and the variables are dictated by another free thinking human, as opposed to a MOB or Boss etc, generated by AI.

Yes the gosls are the same, but no pretense is made to give them the illusion of great or lasting importance.

And what is left?

My ability's, and the growth, thereof.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Fun! Fun keeps you coming back and playing. I played Quake for years and years, Nothing to unlock or achive accept for giving someone a rail up their arse and watching their gibs fly! :D

PS2 Is a huge amount of fun just like the 1st one, Can't wait to start blowing things up. NC FTW!

Muffins:
    Comparisons to gw2 are somewhat moot. Planetside 1 (and daoc) had real rivalry, you weren't just killed by random red dude who you won't even be paired with next week. You could actually see player names!!! So could be on the lookout to get them back.
  • ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

People are overthinking this....

1) Its free. Nuff said.

2) Its free, apparently more to say.  I mean come one, when its free, and you can jump in and have fun and jump out when you want, I mean...sheesh.  Entitlement generation

3) Unlike BF3 and other more "realistic" battlefield shooters, its 100's of players at the same time contesting a point.  Makes it a whole new ballgame.

4) It has meta goals, not just that fight, but that fight meaning you have more resources per tick, allowing you to field a better army to take the whole continent, which then gives you a small buff that doesnt cause unbalance, but is worth fighting for.

And its free.

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

It is made for short burst of fun with friends

If you play it like, lets say an addict to wow, you will see that the game is pretty pointless, but it was not made for that to begin with

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I've been playing ww2online on and off ince 2002 but sadly now It's pretty much dead.

I tried PS2 beta and was hoping for this would take over my ww2online addiction I had for so many years sadly PS2 just felt like BF3 on larger scale, to arcadish, felt kinda hollow and blend without no real depth, nothing really felt epic or worthwhile attacking or defending.

Maby I was to spoiled from playing ww2online for so long.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I tried the beta and hated it a lot.

Graphics are much, MUCH worse than I expected (I run BF3 maxed out), I know it's a MMO (kind of...), but still, just really sucky graphics.

That wouldn't matter so much if the gameplay was top of the line - it just isn't. Gunplay is horrible.

Didn't bother to delve into the game's featureset after realizing the above, so I have no idea what mechanics they put in place to give it longterm appeal - seems kind of moot. I have no desire to play this long term.

It's a shame, too, was looking forward to this being BF3 with a persistent world.

• hcosminhcosmin Member Posts: 45

Large battles, fun with your pals, shooting people up, character progression, that's it.

If you think about it in terms of what do i gain out of this ofcourse it doesn't matter. If you jump into large battles alone it might be fun for a while but again it eventually gets repetitive.

But if you go looking at it with Fanction pride in mind like let's take all take the map for the TR then it's different, you have to let yourself slide into the mindset.

And if you're part of a team and not playing alone then you matter, because you matter to your team mates and your team can really affect the outcome of battles and eventually become known for it even if you can't do it alone.

I never could stand repetitive arenas like CS, Unreal, CoD, etc... for very long, except over LAN with people i know. But i'm a sucker for games like APB:R or WW2online, etc.. with persistence and clans and a server community.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

What has keep me addicted since i got into beta and chomping at the bit for more...

1) Epic fights that are smooth as silk, how dare they create a game where epic fights aren't a stutter! ;)

2) This game brings out the hungry competitive beast in me, I don't want to kill other factions, i want to crush other factions while drinking beer and have a laugh on voice comms.

3) The choice to fly, use ground vehicles or go on foot with the different infantry classes, the choice is there if i have the resources to do what i want, when i want.

4) It's a good game solo, but it's an amazing game with a decent outfit! There's more cooperation amongst one single 12 man squad than all other cookie cutter MMO's stuck together, but then add in a few more squads to make a platoon, then another platoon thats all working together and what you end up with is the true meaning of MMO!

5) But most importantly to me is I can be having fun as soon as i log in, there's no waiting around for hours for a siege to go live, there's no standing in a que to get into some battleground, it's instant fun, just what i want these days when time is precious.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by MindTrigger I'm curious about this, because I did play PS1 for a while, and I've been playing FPS games since they were invented.  When I jumped in to play this game, it only took me a few hours to realize it's all a bit too simple.  I fully admit that I didn't play a lot of it, but I'm still trying to get my head around what the longer-term draw is. You essentially run around, capture bases, sometimes with a battle, then rinse and repeat.  I had this same feeling with Guild Wars 2 WvW too, where we just ran around and captured bases with no real meaning.  After you do this for several hours, it may occur to you that there are much more interesting things to do with your time. Am I missing something?  What keeps you coming back to PS2, and what will keep you for the long term?  Capturing bases over and over and over again isn't enough for me.
    people like different things.  CoD Black OPS 2 just made half a Billion in sales in the first 24hrs.  a lot of people like fps games.

" As of November 11, 2011, the Call Of Duty series have sold over 100 million copies.[1] As of March 31, 2012 there are 40 million monthly active players across all of the Call of Duty titles, with 10 million Call of Duty: Elite users and 2 million paying annual members. Over 1.6 billion hours of online gameplay have been logged in the latest game in the series, Modern Warfare 3.[2] "

HM how did BO2 sell that much? Steam stats only shows 58K people peak playing the game.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

Originally posted by muffins89

Originally posted by MindTrigger I'm curious about this, because I did play PS1 for a while, and I've been playing FPS games since they were invented.  When I jumped in to play this game, it only took me a few hours to realize it's all a bit too simple.  I fully admit that I didn't play a lot of it, but I'm still trying to get my head around what the longer-term draw is. You essentially run around, capture bases, sometimes with a battle, then rinse and repeat.  I had this same feeling with Guild Wars 2 WvW too, where we just ran around and captured bases with no real meaning.  After you do this for several hours, it may occur to you that there are much more interesting things to do with your time. Am I missing something?  What keeps you coming back to PS2, and what will keep you for the long term?  Capturing bases over and over and over again isn't enough for me.

HM how did BO2 sell that much? Steam stats only shows 58K people peak playing the game.

Consoles, i guess. Which i reckon are their biggest platforms to sell to anyway.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

i just love the warfare environment, also when you get used to your faction there is some "pride" betwen all that, my conclusion would be that is more a mental appealing than anything else, watched from far its another capture and run game for the pile.

And well in the end its also "the movie in your mind" nothing new, really.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

It's all about multiplayer, this game SUCKS ASS if you like solo play, it's designed around large scale warfare and lacks any of the elegance of PS1.

It's fun for about a week, then it gets extremely boring, extremely fast.

The skill level is way too low to keep players interrested long-term and the progression is a long drawn-out process.

This is one of the biggest disappointments in modern mmo releases for me and thats saying something!

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)