Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG gets a bad rap

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by asmkm22

This community has always been a fairly fringe, MMO hipster one.  For the longest time, there was a ton of rage against WoW for what appeared to be no other reason than it was popular.  Kind of funny actually.

Yeah, mmorpg.com has that small group of very vocal people who jump from game to game only to quit but stay on the game's forum to spew hatred. The WoW hatred is well alive, but so it the hatred against anything new... even more if it's not a sandbox game. Instead of staying away from those games they hate, they take pleasure in trying to annoy their communities. It's those people who breed the bad ambiance you have here quite often.

Agenda?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Agenda?

I thought the proposal of a supposedly neutral topic within a game forum made that a given.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Gotta also take into account that most of us MMO'rs here have been around for a LONG time in the MMO genre so we've seen MANY MANY games come and go.  Whether it be MUDs, EQ, DAOC, WoW, we remember the promises and the failed deliveries.  We've seen games launch, fail, peak, re-peak, comeback, and fail miserably.

Partially this - it's difficult to win over a market-segment of grizzled MMO veterans. The hype doesn't sell well here no matter how many shills you have making or digging out old accounts.

It's not a very good site to be honest - you have a ton of marketeers, fanboys and very few unbiased, educated opinions or discussions one way or another, due to the cooperate, advertising paid nature of it's existence, not as much the user base itself.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

This community has always been a fairly fringe, MMO hipster one.  For the longest time, there was a ton of rage against WoW for what appeared to be no other reason than it was popular.  Kind of funny actually.

Yeah, mmorpg.com has that small group of very vocal people who jump from game to game only to quit but stay on the game's forum to spew hatred. The WoW hatred is well alive, but so it the hatred against anything new... even more if it's not a sandbox game. Instead of staying away from those games they hate, they take pleasure in trying to annoy their communities. It's those people who breed the bad ambiance you have here quite often.

Yeah, good points. I think, actually, that there is a group of Sandbox Hipsters.  Who will, likely, be annoyed if a new sandbox gets any popularity. We might see with Archage, if it ever gets a good western release.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    GW2 gets flamd more on its own official site ;) the only difference is that mods over there are quick to lock or remove such posts.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Gotta also take into account that most of us MMO'rs here have been around for a LONG time in the MMO genre so we've seen MANY MANY games come and go.  Whether it be MUDs, EQ, DAOC, WoW, we remember the promises and the failed deliveries.  We've seen games launch, fail, peak, re-peak, comeback, and fail miserably.  Whereas you have many people on the game specific forums who are dedicated "fanboys" to the games, we here tend to champion the genre. 

Like it or not, we all want the BEST game we can get.  We all have different opinions on what that means so we fight and discuss.  Sometimes alittle of both.  And when you think you're right  tempers flare.

This place gets a lot of flak but that's cause we all care for MMOs.  If we didn't, we wouldn't be or discuss here.

/thread

I too love the genre, but while there are a couple of solid MMOs out there I despise the garbage that currently passes for MMOs these days.  I want new horizons to explore and places to find, I want my actions to shape the events around me and give a sense they have some meaning.  What we get is "dailies" and "raiding" which is just the MMORPG equivalent of 'Groundhog Day', which appeals to the chumps and beancounters who think league tables and shiny gear is worth a fart in a hurricane.  Companies cater to the chumps, so we, and the genre, all suffer for it.

Sandbox games: Salem, Darkfall: Unholy Wars, EvE, The Repopulation, Xyon, Greed Monger, Perpetuum, ArchAge, Wurm

There you go. MMORPGs were your actions actually impact the world. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Naral

Yeah, good points. I think, actually, that there is a group of Sandbox Hipsters.  Who will, likely, be annoyed if a new sandbox gets any popularity. We might see with Archage, if it ever gets a good western release.

Mind you, I AM a "sandbox hipster". Give me a good modern sandbox game, where all play styles are viable too, and I'll be one of the people to preorder it.

The problem is that modern developers seem to confuse "sandbox" with "FFA PvP gankfest" these days ;)

This is slightly off topic, but I just wanted to express that I have nothing against the sandbox genre - hell, the first graphical MMORPG I've played and enjoyed a lot, Ultima Online, was a sandbox.

Just like SOME GW2 fans gave a bad image of the game's community on some forums, SOME sandbox fans are known to bash any game they don't like even if it's not really their business, they are just on a crusade. Some fans of other theme park games (SW:TOR, TSW notably) are doing the same too. No matter the game, this is wrong. And to those using "but some GW2 fans did it too" as argument, I say "two wrongs don't make one right", and by pretending just doing "payback", they are actually annoying people who never did anything wrong.

It's like a guy entering a vegetarian restaurant and starting to loudly talk about how a good juicy steak is better than all those crap vegetables people are eating. The only problem is that the troll in the veggie restaurant will be kicked very quickly (real life consequences to being an ass are immediate and often unforgiving, and if the guy doesn't want to leave, a call to the police will make sure he will get some time to think about being an ass in a cell), while a troll on a forum will most likely never be kicked out permanently and will keep on being a nuisance, well protected by his anonymity behind his computer screen.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Naral

Mind you, I AM a "sandbox hipster". Give me a good modern sandbox game, where all play styles are viable too, and I'll be one of the people to preorder it.

The problem is that modern developers seem to confuse "sandbox" with "FFA PvP gankfest" these days ;)

This is slightly off topic, but I just wanted to express that I have nothing against the sandbox genre - hell, the first graphical MMORPG I've played and enjoyed a lot, Ultima Online, was a sandbox.

Just like SOME GW2 fans gave a bad image of the game's community on some forums, SOME sandbox fans are known to bash any game they don't like even if it's not really their business, they are just on a crusade. Some fans of other theme park games (SW:TOR, TSW notably) are doing the same too. No matter the game, this is wrong. And to those using "but some GW2 fans did it too" as argument, I say "two wrongs don't make one right", and by pretending just doing "payback", they are actually annoying people who never did anything wrong.

It's like a guy entering a vegetarian restaurant and starting to loudly talk about how a good juicy steak is better than all those crap vegetables people are eating. The only problem is that the troll in the veggie restaurant will be kicked very quickly (real life consequences to being an ass are immediate and often unforgiving, and if the guy doesn't want to leave, a call to the police will make sure he will get some time to think about being an ass in a cell), while a troll on a forum will most likely never be kicked out permanently and will keep on being a nuisance, well protected by his anonymity behind his computer screen.

Welcome to the internet.

We do have tools to fight back agenst trolls atleast.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    GW2 gets flamd more on its own official site ;) the only difference is that mods over there are quick to lock or remove such posts.

Bull.

They remove topics in which no conversation can be had, topics that have obvious duplicates, and posts that are widely insulting to other forum members or just off-topic.

Do they make mistakes? I'm sure they do. And everytime that happens, be sure someone on MMORPG will come from GW2Forums back here and scream about how every single negative post is censored.

Seriously, go to the forums and look for critical topics before making this tired and baseless accusation.

BACK ON TOPIC

No, the people on this site are not quite so noble as to want what's best for the genre. Rather, they want to see anything that does not EXACTLY perscribe to their personal vision of perfection FAIL. Even if a game does 95% of what the fans asked for, MMORPG forums tend to place 10 topic a day on the other 5%. If those topics contained constructive criticism, that would be another matter. But for every constructively critical post, there appear to be three or four that are so filled with bile and foolishness that it is hard to sift through the garbage to find any sort of gems.

No, MMORPG players are of a very special variety. We make the perfect the enemy of the good, working together to crush the soul and spirit of almost any game that appears within the genre. This is not some great debate where we want what's best for the genre; this is a very personal quabble where millions of MMORPG "fans" want what's best for THEMSELVES.

After the literally millions of unconstructive and largely negative comments towards their products, I am vexed as to why developers even bother with us.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Welcome to the internet.

That's an answer not even worth 2 cents.

Some guy gets stabbed in the Bronx, I could also say "Welcome to the Bronx". It would make no sense.

They fact that some things exist on the Internet due to the very nature of it doesn't mean those things are right, and doesn't mean nothing should be done to stop them.

There are tools, but they don't work very well, still because of the anonymity. Got perma banned on mmorpg.com? No big deal, just make a new account and resume the trolling. They can't IP block you since most Internet accesses still have dynamic IPs. In real life, if you push it really too far, you will end with possibly a bleeding nose and/or law intervention, and the interdiction to ever go back to the community you've been an ass to. On the net, no bleeding nose, the law indeed applies but can easily be evaded, so basically there are no consequences for one's actions. And that's what makes bad communities there, nothing else.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Vorch

No, the people on this site are not quite so noble as to want what's best for the genre. Rather, they want to see anything that does not EXACTLY perscribe to their personal vision of perfection FAIL.

There is an element of schadenfreude. There's an element of basic everyday trolling. There are fanboys and (if you're paranoid enough) even shills.  There are anti-fanboys, haters who just attack "hype" instinctively...particularly hypeoriginating from fanboys.  Fanboys, naturally, adopt the same tactic too.

There's the shocked faux innocence "who, me? I'm not a hater, omg."  There's the unapologetic pot stirrers, cruising from topic to topic, particularly active ones, dropping grenades.

Did I miss anything?

Here's the important part: Every one of these guys considers himself the Hero, and the other guy the Enemy.  They're all polarizing right-fighters.

How many games do we have to observe the same patterns?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Everyone has an agenda, it's called having an opinion. My answer is not GW2 specific, since I don't care about the game at this point. The thing is, mmorpg has always been a refuge for the alternative. You don't come to this site to hear praises about your favorite mmorpg, you already play that and having fun there. You come here when you're bored with it, or you're having issues and you want to see if others share those issues.

Or you come here when you want to find a new game. So in this regard, mainstream games don't really need "defending" in mmorpg, they are already successful. What needs encouragement and a wave of support is the differientation and alternative ideas. In this regard, GW2 is a mainstream title, so they do take some extra critisism due to that. The main reason that any flak is directed towards GW2 though is due to the fans that were trolling hard every other game section on these forums for months. That kind of unappealing behaviour for so long a period, was bound to leave a bad taste on a lot of people.

Originally posted by Xasapis

My answer is not GW2 specific, since I don't care about the game at this point.

A pretty good example of what I was saying. Someone who doesn't care about the game, self admitedly, yet still posts here almost daily.

Thanks for that free example to illustrate my previous posts.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

A pretty good example of what I was saying. Someone who doesn't care about the game, self admitedly, yet still posts here almost daily.

At this point of time I don't care about the game. But I have played the game extensively, had fun with it and, well, I moved on. I don't find it a bad game, I certainly got my money's worth of fun with it. Of course, it wasn't the second coming one would expect with that collossal piece of marketing the manifesto was, but that's another issue.

Besides, this is not about GW2, or not just about GW2 if you like. In one time or another, threads like this appeared for the majority of mmorpgs listed on this site. Ie, how X mmorpg is getting flamed so much here as opposed to the actual status of their subscribers base.

Do you really need to be so defensive over GW2, all the time?

Originally posted by Vorch

Bull.

They remove topics in which no conversation can be had, topics that have obvious duplicates, and posts that are widely insulting to other forum members or just off-topic.

Do they make mistakes? I'm sure they do. And everytime that happens, be sure someone on MMORPG will come from GW2Forums back here and scream about how every single negative post is censored.

Seriously, go to the forums and look for critical topics before making this tired and baseless accusation. 

When i said GW2 gets flamed more on its official website i think it was self explanatory? read again 'flamed'...no where i said constructive crticism or intelligent discussions are being locked by Anet.

*rolls eyes*

At this point of time I don't care about the game. But I have played the game extensively, had fun with it and, well, I moved on. I don't find it a bad game, I certainly got my money's worth of fun with it. Of course, it wasn't the second coming one would expect with that collossal piece of marketing the manifesto was, but that's another issue.

Besides, this is not about GW2, or not just about GW2 if you like. In one time or another, threads like this appeared for the majority of mmorpgs listed on this site. Ie, how X mmorpg is getting flamed so much here as opposed to the actual status of their subscribers base.

I have noticed that he is always looking for an argument. Even out of GW2 forums his attitude is the same. He is really bitter all the time for some reason. So i suggest just use ignore.

However, i agree with you. As long as people are being mature and reasonable with their replies, doesn't matter whether they are playing the game or not, their opinions are still a good edition whther for or against. Idon't know who amde this rule that you can only discuss games you are currently playing. This is general forums and majority of us play multiple games and are not dedicated to just one MMO.

No body tells the guy who praises a particular MMO all the time, even though he is currently not playing it, to stop posting. But negative posts always bother the fans.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

These kind of sites are part of the games, sometimes with too many trolls, fanboys , and too much blablabla, but that's all about net these days , 75% of net (if not more) its ubber trash.
    Personally i like this site very much and i am always learn and enjoying some threads and some posts.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Uh, there's a ton of reason to hate WoW. Pretty much the only people who don't understand that are the WoW fanboys who are entirely obvious to the rest of the MMO genre.

And if by MMO hipsters you mean, the core MMO audience...

Case in point...

Thank you for proving MY point. If you're blind enough to believe that the ONLY reason people hate WoW is because a lot of people play it, then no amount of sense will ever penetrate the blinders you've built for yourself.

I guess some people would rather delude themselves into believing that there's a massive online community that just happens to hate every new game that comes out for no other reason than its new! They can't comprehend that, hey, maybe the MMORPG.com community isn't an organized mass dedicated to hating everything... maybe...just maybe... almost everything that has come out in a while has sucked?

NAH! Everything's perfect! That's why all these online games are thriving! Er.. oh wait...

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I have noticed that he is always looking for an argument. Even out of GW2 forums his attitude is the same. He is really bitter all the time for some reason. So i suggest just use ignore.

However, i agree with you. As long as people are being mature and reasonable with their replies, doesn't matter whether they are playing the game or not, their opinions are still a good edition whther for or against. Idon't know who amde this rule that you can only discuss games you are currently playing. This is general forums and majority of us play multiple games and are not dedicated to just one MMO.

No body tells the guy who praises a particular MMO all the time, even though he is currently not playing it, to stop posting. But negative posts always bother the fans.

No-one did! That's the beauty of mmorpg.com and why I don't see how some have a problem with the site. What certain folk want they'll only get on the official forums of their favorite title. There they can bask in everything that's happy happy joy joy until their noses are caked in several layers of brown.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Uh, there's a ton of reason to hate WoW. Pretty much the only people who don't understand that are the WoW fanboys who are entirely obvious to the rest of the MMO genre.

Case in point...

Thank you for proving MY point. If you're blind enough to believe that the ONLY reason people hate WoW is because a lot of people play it, then no amount of sense will ever penetrate the blinders you've built for yourself.

As you can see, OP, this site's reputation has been earned. Thankyouverymuch.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Case in point...

As you can see, OP, this site's reputation has been earned. Thankyouverymuch.

Oh boy, you people are a special kind of obvious aren't you...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by HorrorScope
    Originally posted by Kost

I disagree and personally think the site deserves the flak it gets.

It's comparable to 4chan. That speaks volumes.

Then I guess the truth is the game sucks hard right now, because the official forums are on fire, women and children didn't make it out either. I like how it's burning there and in the most cases mmorpg is just chillin. People are struggling mightily with one time events and someone else got great loot and I didn't. To the point we won't have good things again, because everyone can't get the top prize. If everyone's special, no one is.

What kills me is mmo'ers all want these unique events and SEE WHAT HAPPENS! Kitten(tm) sad.

The truth is if you look at the Official Forums there is discontent BUT it also seems to be from a group of posters. The same names alsways come up, hence the banning on the official forums - can't get heard scream all the more louder, seems to be the mantra.

I was a Forum mod, and had to deal with things, just like this. You can either have a hard hand on all people or be loosy-goosy. I prefer the even hard-handed approach as people then think about what they are posting not just a vent. That is the problem with the internet, though. Since it is so anonymous, people don't have the same personal checks and balances in place that they do in person, in mail (not email), and on the phone. There was a recent sociology study and that was their conclusion. Something to think about.

Welcome to the internet.

That's an answer not even worth 2 cents.

Some guy gets stabbed in the Bronx, I could also say "Welcome to the Bronx". It would make no sense.

They fact that some things exist on the Internet due to the very nature of it doesn't mean those things are right, and doesn't mean nothing should be done to stop them.

There are tools, but they don't work very well, still because of the anonymity. Got perma banned on mmorpg.com? No big deal, just make a new account and resume the trolling. They can't IP block you since most Internet accesses still have dynamic IPs. In real life, if you push it really too far, you will end with possibly a bleeding nose and/or law intervention, and the interdiction to ever go back to the community you've been an ass to. On the net, no bleeding nose, the law indeed applies but can easily be evaded, so basically there are no consequences for one's actions. And that's what makes bad communities there, nothing else.

i dont get this. Your pissed because people do and say what they like.... on the internet? You might want to invest in a flame retardant suit or just avoid forums all together till you grow thincker skin.

Just like in the real world you have to deal with douches. So eather learn how to or dont leave your house.

And just fyi. The responce, "Welcome to the Bronx" would be an ok responce to someone getting stabbed IN THE BRONX.

Dont like it? Dont come to the Bronx. Dont like what could be said on an internet forums? Dont visit that site.

At this point it sounds like its your problem and youll need to deal with it however you see fit.

Good luck.

You guys realize that some people just don't like GW2 and think it has a lot of flaws, right?

Not everyone who dislikes it is a "troll".

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You guys realize that some people just don't like GW2 and think it has a lot of flaws, right?

Not everyone who dislikes it is a "troll".

And not everyone who likes it is a 'FAN BOI'. The sword cuts both ways.