Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ranger Updates announced - and the Rangers are PISSED

2»

Comments

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Originally posted by sammyeli

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Looks like my favorite class Warrior still escaped the knife ;)

I will continue to wreck anything that is in my path in PVE and PVP....and not break a sweat.

My in game name is Sammy Eli, please PM me so I can be wrecked in pvp. I will be off work @ 5

Originally posted by Sleepyfish
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

The only problem with ranger is it is too easy :P

News flash every class in GW2 is easy. If you cannot master 5 buttons I feel sorry for you.

If you think you just need 5 buttons to play this game, please see me in game my name is Sammy Eli, and I will have a server for sPvP when its in game and you can show me how elite you are with those 5 keys =)

Oh BTW I'll play a Ranger if you like =P

Im interested to see if anyone takes you up on your offer.  I'm thinking it won't happen though. 

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by Maephisto

I will continue to wreck anything that is in my path in PVE and PVP....and not break a sweat.

My in game name is Sammy Eli, please PM me so I can be wrecked in pvp. I will be off work @ 5

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

The only problem with ranger is it is too easy :P

News flash every class in GW2 is easy. If you cannot master 5 buttons I feel sorry for you.

If you think you just need 5 buttons to play this game, please see me in game my name is Sammy Eli, and I will have a server for sPvP when its in game and you can show me how elite you are with those 5 keys =)

Oh BTW I'll play a Ranger if you like =P

Im interested to see if anyone takes you up on your offer.  I'm thinking it won't happen though. 

Well I hope so because there is nothing more thrilling than a challenge in pvp. =P

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

This is the Arenanet reply to the thread complaining about the lack of Ranger changes relative to the number of issues the profession has:

We made the improvements we had time to test. There are still more ranger improvements but when our time is limited we have to focus on things we know we can fix. Signets and shouts are still on the docket, and I suspect some of each of these will get some love in the next time around. As you can see a lot changed in this build for every profession and we have to test these changes as well.

I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement after this patch and we will continue to make those improvements. If we could fix everything at one time we would, but the reality is there are a limited # of hours to make changes.

I see a lot of talk about ranger weapons, but I don’t think that is the real problem. I think sword and longbow are both good weapons, which is why the changes take longer. The problems are deeper, in pets ability to hit moving targets, trait lines with not enough viable choices and skills that are often too specialized to really compliment the weapon builds. These aren’t things we can change overnight. The change to Greatsword block was in fact a very difficult change, but we made it because we knew it was the right thing to do.

There are >500 skills in this game, 480 traits, and 2 designers working on this. Even then often we are bottle necked by other issues. I’m not going to say we are not working on these things, nor can I say there are things we could have changed but just ran out of time on, but this was a patch that contained ranger improvements and it will not be the last one that does so. Maybe you want more than honesty but that is what I currently have to offer.

Jon

First off, I understand and appreciate the situation from Arenanet's end. They can't rush in changes they don't have time to properly develop and test.

However, I also have had the reaction that Arenanet very obviously needs to do something at the staffing level to greatly improve the speed and efficiency of future profession changes and fixes. It seems obvious that Jon Peters and Isaiah Cartwright need a.) more developers on the profession team to streamline the ongoing profession development process b.) need to be freed from any other development duties that interfere with their ability to focus on profession development c.) need a small, dedicated team of playtesters that do nothing but test profession changes being developed.

Profession capability, stability, functionality and balance are key foundational elements of the game as a whole and there is no excuse to be understaffed in the area of ongoing profession development.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Ranger is actually one of the classes that is close to what "fine" should be. They need to keep tweaking other classes like the theif, guard, ele and mesmer to get the closer to the rest of the classes.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Warrior is actually in a pretty good spot. They don't need much of a "knife". They can be usefull and play different roles without beign overpowering like other classes. You are either playing against really bad folks all the time or you're trully a pvp god.....

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

BTW, I have a level 80 Ranger and don't feel gimped, in any way, with my current build. Though I do enjoy my Sword/Warhorn & Axe/Torch ranger, I do sort of resent the fact that my ranger feels less capable with a Short Bow than my Thief and less capable than a Warrior with a Long Bow. I dream of the day when pets are bug free and working at full potential, but I stil find them useful enough as is to not be a total waste.

So, yeah, I'm not one of those people dropping my Ranger because of the lack of needed fixes, but I look forward to the day when many more builds are viable and I can actually consider a Range focused build for my Ranger!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

thats 3 people now that sent me a PM about kicking my ass HOWEVER they do not want to log in to a so called "crap game" there for they cannot do so. 

Keep em coming fellas.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Still one of the easiest and robust classes to play in the game and anything but weak (just try a non-dual-dagger elementalist some day).  Which is why they're a favorite of the bots.   

Something, btw, I thought was an iron law of MMOs --  in any class based MMO, the class the bot lords use for botting is both extremely durable and extremely easy to play -- and that everyone understood this...

So, imagine my surprise at all the whining...

You are looking at it from a PvE perspective, where pet classes have always been strong at soloing.  The complaints are mostly PvP related.  This is guild wars after all, a game thats suppose to have a heavy focus on pvp.

There have been multiple forum threads about team compositions in Paid tournaments, which can be considered the competitive stage for the most skilled PvPers, and players across the board agree that they do not see many rangers and if they do, they have no trouble defeating them.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by umie214
    You forgot to mention that most profs were nerfed significantly. Rangers received a massive buff to the most problematic weapon. As someone who mains a ranger I'm content, but expect more changed to come. An entire trait line is useless along with spirits, and pets need a little work.

The GS was the most problematic weapon? Really? Sorry but I think not.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The most telling was the fact they have TWO devs on the whole skills.

That seems a bit lean (business word for lacking); esp for a game of this size.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I never think like this. But maybe I should. When I suck with a class, I always just cry and say "Elikal you suck". Other people think more positive. "It's not me that sucks, it's that damned proc and the nerfed skill X!"

But as I said, I never think like that. I never calculate skills or procs (I don't even KNOW what a proc IS), I play and win or play and lose and delete. *shrug* I mean, I have great respect of all these guys who analyze all that stuff. Really. But for me, a class, a game, it's all feeling. It feels right or it doesn't. And Ranger definitely doesn't. So thanks for telling me why. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by TheHavok
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    What about the incredibly major Mesmer nerf?  I can no longer nuke enemies on top of wall in WvW with my phantasims.  That's a pretty big nerf in my books.

Mesmers actually got a dps buff.

Hmm that might be one way to look at it but if I can't kill enemies in WvW while hiding out of line of sight of them that's a nerf in my books.

Mesmers were considered overpowered.  Additionally you shouldn't be able to kill somebody while line of sighting them.  Mesmers were just put more inline with the other range classes.

Even I with my Asperger could see he was sarcastic.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Great, I just created a Ranger. Maybe I should start over now with something else.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Bro, what happened to my warrior buffs?!  I'm more pissed!
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by Elikal. But for me, a class, a game, it's all feeling. It feels right or it doesn't. And Ranger definitely doesn't. So thanks for telling me why. ^^

Just had to point out the irony of you saying that it's all about the feeling when you have Spock as your icon.  ;D

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Thupli
    Originally posted by Elikal. But for me, a class, a game, it's all feeling. It feels right or it doesn't. And Ranger definitely doesn't. So thanks for telling me why. ^^

Just had to point out the irony of you saying that it's all about the feeling when you have Spock as your icon.  ;D

And you get an F in Star Trek knowledge. :P

Originally posted by Thupli

Aww, first it's Sarek, Spocks father, but then... I admire the Vulcans, because I always thought controlling your emotions or having none would be good, because my emotions mostly get me in trouble. >.< So it's an ideal rather than a self-representation. ^^

• Anaba77Anaba77 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Rangers DIsappointed.... Again.  More news at 11.

Rangers face disappointment in .  The latest patch has failed to address core class issues and focusing on stupid fringe skills.  At first rangers are demoralized because they never make the patch notes.  Then the first nerf patch comes and they dread the patchnotes forever after.

This is the life of a ranger in :

Ranger class mechanic y got a stealth nerf, while the already OP dps class got simultaneously buffed, when confusing combat mechanics formula got adjusted "for smoother game play". 

After several months of player feedback complete with factual support in the form of combat math, screen shots, youtube videos the class dev feels rangers are "right where they're supposed to be".

Forturnately, player_z, a class dev ass-kisser, trolls the frustrated ranger community with bullshit examples of how great and easy rangers have it.

My personal list of where I've experienced this:

Lineage (elves weren't that bad, but always second fiddle - the only class that had to track ammo)

Guild Wars (thank god there is subclassing so I can do damage)

Lord of the Rings Online (this was probably the worst)

Everquest 2 (clunky mechanics but at least it could do some damage)

RIFT (the best up to this point, but mostly as a support soul to a primary)

Guild Wars 2 (the best to date, but still weak - jack of all trades, master of none - the pets are cool - tied with RIFT for the most fun to play)

You miss one game: Age of Conan where ranger was/is pretty the ganking class pvp-wise and good dps + support in pvp.

Even after many nerfs it's still a class that manages to output really heavy dps while having nice CC and survival tools.

Negative about this ranger is that it lacks a bit on support buffs  for group play and I miss pets.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

I don't play the ranger class. Never have in any MMO that had one ... but riddle me this.

• Splinter Shot: This skill’s damage is increased by 150%, and its bleeding duration is increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds. (150% damage increase is good, right?)
    • Counterattack: The blocking portion of this skill can now be used while moving. Ranged attacks will not trigger the second half of the skill. (First half of this is also good, right?)
    • Call of the Wild: The Wilderness Survival trait Off-Hand Training now applies to this skill. (Again, good.)
    • Maul: This skill’s damage has been increased by 40%. (40% damage increase, also nice)
    • Whirling Defense: This skill was updated so that it interacts better with combo fields. (performance update, good)
    • Splinter Shot: This skill is now a small projectile combo finisher. (good)
    • Coral Shot: This skill is now a projectile combo finisher. (good)
    • Feeding Frenzy: This skill is now a projectile combo finisher. (good)
    • Mercy Shot: This skill is now a projectile combo finisher. (good)
    ... I don't get where the complains are coming from. This reminds me of the game update patch 1.2 back in SWToR. I had just maxed my mercenary healer and suddenly got EVERYTHING nerfed almost to the point of unplayability. Compared to that this ranger stuff is immensely positive.

So you didn't get the uber-buffs you wanted. Big woop. Good luck next patch.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Oct 22nd: Previous major update.  All classes receive an update except Rangers.  Ranger are disappointed

Oct 23: Rangers updated on next update. Rangers are told they will be included in the next major updated slated for mid November. 80k views in 23 days (meaning a very popular thread for GW2 standards).

Nov 15: Today's Major Update: Again, all classes receive an update.  Rangers are included this time! While some minor things were improved,  unfortunately the update fails to address most of the concerns of the rangers and instead focuses on useless things like Spirit proc chance (still has a 10second cooldown after proc) and underwater weapon fixes (nobody cares about underwater fighting). Rangers are pissed, disgusted, disappointed, ect.  I haven't seen a thread filled with so much QQ in awhile.

Nov 15: Traps received a stealth nerf. Adding insult to injury.  Atleast Anet is now claiming its a bug.

Same for the Engineers except, engineers didn't get ANY land fixes (we too were told we'd be happy with this patch).

Amongst the long list of Bugs in the game for engineers that have existed since BWE2, one of the major ones is the miss chance for Flame Thrower/ Elixir Gun.  

Anet said they would fix it. Didn't happen, now it misses even more.

We have been having problems with Deployable Turrets with Kits not scaling with gear with kits not being affected by Runes. The list is just getting longer. They didn't even touch the things they promised would be fixed. Right now Engis are the lowest played class and it's because somewhere along the way Anet lost their minds and didn't plan well enough to handle the bug fixes, even the ones they claimed they would fix.

And now they add insult to injury by adding buffs when someone equips an ele created weapon.

• Vapor Form: Fixed a bug that allowed this skill to contest a capture point.
    • Flame Axe: This weapon now grants the wielder power and condition damage.
    • Frost Bow: This weapon now grants the wielder increased condition duration and increased healing power.
    • Fiery Greatsword: This weapon now grants the wielder power and condition damage.
    • Magnetic Shield: This weapon now grants the wielder vitality and toughness.
    • Lightning Hammer: This weapon now grants the wielder increased precision and critical damage.

Rangers have it easy. Play an engineer and then play any other class, you'll see how well the other classes abilities work compared to the borked engi class, no wonder it's the least played profession.

At least as a Ranger your abilities work.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Elementalists got their blast finishers in the arcane tree nerfed, as well as the conjured frost bow (haha) and received some stat buffs to said conjured weapons while using them (no one uses them, except for specific occasions). Tornado, an elite that was only good when you cancelled it immediately for the stability it gave you, was nerfed further.

They supposedly fixed ride the lightning stunning you or bugging out in the middle of the charge (usually means instant death), except I notice no difference and it still bugs.

I can tell you I was more than a little pissed as well when, after the patch, I got on my 2800 armor ele in sPvP and immediately got a thief on me out of stealth with 3k steal / 8k backstab / 3k x 3 hearthseeker = 21k damage in 3s = instant death.

So rangers aren't the only one who have it though, but yeah, they are one of classes that aren't in a great position atm.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

GW2 really did bring in the worst of the worst (players that is).

In GW1, they nerfed and buffed skills ALL THE TIME. It was this aspect that made playing GW1 fun and challenging even to this day. Now everytime Anet does something you morons make a whole new shitstorm. GET OVER IT. It's how Anet operates so your precious profession is not going to stay godlike because balance is one thing Anet does best

NEWSFLASH of how things are going to be in the future of GW2. If you don't like it, go away and stop making stupid threads for every single change.

Eat me!

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I don't know if you Ranger's have noticed but, your pets are freaking annoying now. A few weeks ago I could laugh at a ranger and punch him to oblivion now I have to make sure the pets aren't in the path of my projectiles because that is all they do. They stand in front of the Ranger and take all the ranged damage for them and a weird bug had my target switching to the pet every now and then and it just made killing a Ranger so freaking annoying, it could be considered funny.

I don't know if you guys are sleeping but Rangers are pretty good for those people who know how to play them.

This is not a game.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Oct 22nd: Previous major update.  All classes receive an update except Rangers.  Ranger are disappointed

Oct 23: Rangers updated on next update. Rangers are told they will be included in the next major updated slated for mid November. 80k views in 23 days (meaning a very popular thread for GW2 standards).

Nov 15: Today's Major Update: Again, all classes receive an update.  Rangers are included this time! While some minor things were improved,  unfortunately the update fails to address most of the concerns of the rangers and instead focuses on useless things like Spirit proc chance (still has a 10second cooldown after proc) and underwater weapon fixes (nobody cares about underwater fighting). Rangers are pissed, disgusted, disappointed, ect.  I haven't seen a thread filled with so much QQ in awhile.

Nov 15: Traps received a stealth nerf. Adding insult to injury.  Atleast Anet is now claiming its a bug.

Same for the Engineers except, engineers didn't get ANY land fixes (we too were told we'd be happy with this patch).

Amongst the long list of Bugs in the game for engineers that have existed since BWE2, one of the major ones is the miss chance for Flame Thrower/ Elixir Gun.  

Anet said they would fix it. Didn't happen, now it misses even more.

We have been having problems with Deployable Turrets with Kits not scaling with gear with kits not being affected by Runes. The list is just getting longer. They didn't even touch the things they promised would be fixed. Right now Engis are the lowest played class and it's because somewhere along the way Anet lost their minds and didn't plan well enough to handle the bug fixes, even the ones they claimed they would fix.

And now they add insult to injury by adding buffs when someone equips an ele created weapon.

• Vapor Form: Fixed a bug that allowed this skill to contest a capture point.
    • Flame Axe: This weapon now grants the wielder power and condition damage.
    • Frost Bow: This weapon now grants the wielder increased condition duration and increased healing power.
    • Fiery Greatsword: This weapon now grants the wielder power and condition damage.
    • Magnetic Shield: This weapon now grants the wielder vitality and toughness.
    • Lightning Hammer: This weapon now grants the wielder increased precision and critical damage.

Rangers have it easy. Play an engineer and then play any other class, you'll see how well the other classes abilities work compared to the borked engi class, no wonder it's the least played profession.

At least as a Ranger your abilities work.

It's the least played profession because most people don't understand how to play it. The Engineer is the MOST BALANCED class of all the class in GW2. It can do burst, it can do CC, it can tank, it can point defend, it can do condition damage, Ranged damage, melee damage is a bit slow though but the fact is, there are more viable builds for the engineer than any other class. To me and quite a few others, the Engineer is a great position right now.

This is not a game.